Iowa State University Employee Reviews in United States

depends, big university, difficult to summarize
Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 19, 2015
if you work in research, you will be surrounded by highly educated and talented individuals. However, if you work in a commercial lab, you will be surrounded with people who are very difficult to get along with
Pros
job security
Cons
low salary
Great learning environment
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 9, 2016
Working at the department of residence has been a great experience. I had the privilege of working with amazing staff members. Everyday, I interacted with residents and helped them succeed at Iowa State. I managed the hall desk and made sure everything was working smoothly. The hardest part of the job was the timing of everything. There were many things that needed to be done before major events. I advised a student led house cabinet but it was tough to motivate them to get ideas flowing. Overall, it was a good learning experience and I have grown a lot through the position.
Exciting role mentoring youth
Head Men's Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 30, 2015
Was able to enter the world of college athletics as a golf coach. had spent my life as a player and given the opportunity to pass along knowledge to others.

Responsible for all activities and management of golf team. Recruiting, staffing, budget, travel, scheduling. I learned how to run an entire operation from top to bottom.

Was given freedom to work on my own, with direct reports to senior staff, however constant staff changes throughout my tenure.

Hardest part of job is basing your living on the actions and decisions of 18-22 year old kids. Most enjoyable was the travel and seeing young men develop into adults.
Pros
Travel, benefits
Cons
restrictions and rules with NCAA
Fantastic
Research Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 3, 2016
I was given freedom to independently design experiment to achieve a predetermined goal. The management gave me support and direction to achieve my goals without controlling my day to day work.
Undergraduate Research Experience is a Must!
Plant Pathology Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 1, 2015
Working in a research laboratory on campus made for a great experience. I learned to balance work, classes, and other campus involvement. Getting involved on campus and getting a work experience helped me do better in school. A typical day includes working with PhD candidates and Post Docs on research projects. I learned what it would be like to continue my education after my undergraduate career. I worked with great people and had knowledgeable supervisors and university faculty that were always helpful and want me to really learn and succeed.
Excellent univeristy
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 20, 2016
I've had an amazing experience at Iowa State thus far and thats partially because of the courses and professors. There are a variety of classes offered at Iowa State. Most of my classes have been beneficial towards my major and future career although some I also just needed to fill a requirement.
research assistant
Volunteer Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 12, 2016
Typical laboratory procedures and analytical techniques
Perform Radioactivity material experiments
Work both independently and collaboratively and maintain regular duties such as ordering and purchasing drug and other supplies, ensuring waste disposal including sharp or biohazard waste, maintaining equipment, and educating students to learn lab skills and safety standards
Great colleagues, awful management
Instructor (Former Employee) –  IowaApril 26, 2015
A typical day at work involved multiple tasks= phone and email communications, meetings, instructional development and delivery, and in general, putting in long hours: evenings and weekends are common. Learned a lot about operations in higher education, curricula development, interacting with diverse populations.

Co-workers were great, supportive and positive, felt like a family. Management on the other hand, was abysmal. Poor-to-no communication skills, little respect given to anyone without a doctorate degree, tends to assign more responsibilities than stated in contract and be dismissive when brought to their attention.

Hardest part of job= insecurity of the position. Non-tenure track instructors are at high risk of having hours and pay reduced or of losing entire position on very short notice. Most enjoyable part of job= working in a field of interest with multiple opportunities for research and practical application, with enjoyable coworkers and students.
Pros
Great benefits, coworkers, subject matter
Cons
Bureaucratic red tape, dysfunctional management, long hours for low pay
A nice place to study and concentrate on research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I've been studying aerospace engineering in Iowa State University for two years. My research was focusing on aerodynamics optimization. This period has been a challenging experience for me. We had a great group and solved a lot interesting cases. I've attended two international conferences and presented my papers.
Enjoyed my time there.
Custodial Supervisor for Residence Hall (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 16, 2015
Wonderful University, Worked with Brilliant People in my dept. Supervised 86 Union Custodians. Hardest part was supervising 86 Union employees. Best part hands down... The Students, Miss them. Left after 5 years, Mgmt. change.

Employed in the Optical field for 18 plus years.. all aspects ( Optician, Contact Lens Tech, Mgmt., inventory control, Hiring/Terminations etc.Purchasing Frames, Contact Lens, Equipment ( Dr.s Lane, Pre-exam,Visual Fields etc) Very much enjoyed resolving patient visual difficulties, be it glasses or contact lens. Eye care business always evolving. Something new every month. Still receive several Trade magazines.
Pros
Students, Staff, Superiors.
Cons
Very few. Like most careers, have speed bumps sometimes.
Excellent
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 18, 2016
Top class research university for applied econometrics and data modeling. Its a land grant university, so most of the agriculture related programs are exceptionally good.
Very productive and learning
Graduate Teaching & Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 24, 2016
Very good work environment. Everything taken care of. The most skillful and managerial experience with teaching students and communicating with them to clear any doubts.
Pros
Fee waiver, health insurance, etc
Cons
NA
Stressful but rewarding
Community Adviser (RA) (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 17, 2016
Can be a great job or bad job depending on your hall director and your on-call hours.
Ample opportunities to make a positive impact on students and learn new skills.
Pros
Free Housing, work where you live, see a positive impact in your community
Cons
Potential for extreme amounts of unpaid work.
Not as good as it once was
Business Manager II / Pre-Award Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Beardshear HallAugust 4, 2015
Under staffed, overloaded, culture has changed, professional staff is not valued. Focus and resources are placed on faculty only. Constant last minute demands that are difficult to obtain without working evenings and weekends.
Benefits
Cons
24-7
great work experience for a student
Worked up to team lead (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 1, 2016
A great job for a student at Iowa State. Flexible hours that work around class times, and valuable job experience. A great workplace for students, and a good way to make friends.
Student Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 21, 2016
I worked as a student at ISU on a part time basis. I really enjoyed the culture and people within the university. Overall a very friendly atmosphere.
Great place to work, with very laid back atmosohere
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAMay 18, 2016
Able to work on my own, critical think on my own, was able to ask the boss a question when conducting an activity. was able to work at my own pace.
Great environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 15, 2016
Very great work environment. Every one is so nice and helpful. The supervisor is always encouraging. The professors there are have great work ethics.
Excellent
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I worked as Graduate Teaching and Graduate Research Assistant. I assume the work is very dependent on who you work with/for and not very university dependent.
Productive, enjoyable, friendly.
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 2, 2016
Typically 9 am - 5 pm everyday, involving research and teaching responsibilities. Research advisers are really good. They are very understanding and helpful. Gained teaching experience after coming here and I enjoy it fully. Co-workers are friendly, easy going.
Cons
Healthcare

4.4