Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Wonderful Culture but suffers from funding
Director of Athletic Bands (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 23, 2017
Hours are flexible outside of your classroom assignments. The management is typical of a university environment as they are not really experienced managers and more academics who get thrown into the role that they are not prepared for and many times do not manage people or finances well.
Pros
Good hours and beautiful work environment
Cons
Poor management, low budgets, low pay
good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 22, 2017
Iowa State University is a very good place to work. I am a research assistant in the department of materials science and engineering. The culture in our department is very friendly and efficient. I love this place.
Work Study opportunity
Dining Hall Staff (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 18, 2017
● Worked in one of the largest dining halls on campus
● Duties included food preparation, maintenance of sanitation standards, and cleaning the kitchen and cafeteria
Pros
Hours worked with class schedule.
Cons
Very early start times.
student
Athletic Training Student (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 17, 2017
I was an athletic training student at Iowa State University from 2014 - 2017. I was a good place to learn everything that I need to know within my career field.
Great Culture
Athlete Network (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 11, 2017
I loved being an on-campus intern for Athlete Network at Iowa State University. Whenever I needed help on a project, there was always somebody I could easily get in contact with who was willing and able to help. You can really get a great sense of the culture at Iowa State when you are working around those people, especially in Athletics.
It's okay
Community Adviser (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 10, 2017
If you can balance classes, work, and social life it should be fine. Compensation for typical work can vary. Management doesn't really have their act together.
Pros
As a CA, free room and board. Any other job, meh.
Cons
work life balance not the best
Decent summer job.
Orientation Schedule Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 5, 2017
Lightweight job. Not much money to be made but not bad management. The people were good and I was able to show initiative and make the job my own. Overall decent.
Amazing university to work with, providing great hospitality
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 29, 2017
Photographing for Iowa State University is challenging and very rewarding. The marketing department is hospitable to all staff, fans and students. They are always thinking outside of the box and doing new and innovative ideas for marketing.
Flexible work hours for students but management is iffy
student worker (Former Employee) –  Memorial Union, Bookstore, College of LASApril 25, 2017
Many of the places that employ students at Iowa State University are a good opportunity to gain work experience, but I wouldn't suggest making a career at some of the places I've worked there. They have wonderfully flexible hours for students, but sometimes because of turnover rates the management is a nightmare.
Pros
student benefits
Cons
low pay, low hours, little sympathy with illness
Parking and Security worker
Traffic and Parking Director (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 22, 2017
* The typical day at Iowa State University was one that was very simple and understanding. I would come in, get my task that I had to do and make sure everyone was following all the general rules for each event that was on. * I learned that there are different of variety of people that come from all different types of backgrounds. * The management at Iowa State University was good in it that they knew what they're jobs were but could've helped all those in need of assistance instead of a select few. * The Culture was very simple and easy to understand. Make life easier for your coworkers and customers coming and going from all events. * The hardest part was dealing with very angry customers who wanted everything they're way and some of the managers there seemed to be only one sided. * The most enjoyable part of my job was the work I did there, the people I worked with and seeing all that goes on at Iowa State University
Pros
Breaks, the people and the different types of jobs
Cons
Short breaks, some of management and it was a seasonal job
Great institute with excellent academic program
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 16, 2017
I really like the academic and research atmosphere in Department of Animal Science. There are two excellent seminars each week given by the departmental colleagues or invited speaker from other prestigious institutes. In addition, each lab has intensive collaboration with other labs or institute. So everyone is willing to help partners or colleagues, and is willing to share information and knowledge without much pressure from internal competition.
Nice and easy work
Food Preparation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 14, 2017
As long as you can deal with the super early mornings, it is a great way to make easy money while also going to school. It is all manual labor that is easy to get the hang of.
fun place to work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 5, 2017
A small place located in Ames, IA. It is inside the Iowa state university. Have been worked there for two years.
nice people to work with
learn lot of useful technique
Friendly culture
Fine
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 28, 2017
Good curriculum. Fine place to be a student. This should not be required to be reviewed. I still have to type because there is some rule that is forcing me to.
Productive, positive, performance-driven workplace
Positive Student Course Evaluations (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 27, 2017
Iowa State University is a great institution to work for, and it offers various opportunities for expansion of experience, both practical and scholarly.
An excellent place to gain teaching experience.
Adjunct English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaMarch 24, 2017
When I taught there the writing part of the English Department was not well run. It has improved since then and no there is a Chair of writing who offers a lot of support.
Pros
An excellent university.
Cons
Pays little.
I liked working as a tutor. I gave me happiness to help others with their course.
Mathematics Tutor and Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 8, 2017
The work environment at Iowa State Univ is perfect to grow, experience different cultures and learn new things each day even as a teacher. The students were supportive and genuine and so was the Graduate office officials that hired me.
Fun work environment
Department of Athletics-Softball Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 28, 2017
I would go to softball practice as my work day. I would field balls for batting practice, feed balls into the pitching machines, and help the set up and tear down of practice. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the athletes and becoming friends with them.
Decent
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 28, 2017
I enjoy being able to work with students. Professors are usually careful to not overwork TA's. Working in the Help Room is sometimes stressful if you have a lot of homework, but otherwise is not too bad.
Moderate work for a descent stipend while in graduate school
Geology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 19, 2017
Iowa State's GEAT department is a good department to be enrolled for graduate studies. The teaching assistant position requires an average of 15-20 hrs per/week with a consistent monthly stipend and no need to log hours worked.
Pros
Besides in class or lab hours, you are free to work on your own time, Free health insurance while being on a teaching assistant contract.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4