Iowa State University Employee Reviews in United States

research assistant
Volunteer Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 12, 2016
Typical laboratory procedures and analytical techniques
Perform Radioactivity material experiments
Work both independently and collaboratively and maintain regular duties such as ordering and purchasing drug and other supplies, ensuring waste disposal including sharp or biohazard waste, maintaining equipment, and educating students to learn lab skills and safety standards
A nice place to study and concentrate on research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I've been studying aerospace engineering in Iowa State University for two years. My research was focusing on aerodynamics optimization. This period has been a challenging experience for me. We had a great group and solved a lot interesting cases. I've attended two international conferences and presented my papers.
Stressful but rewarding
Community Adviser (RA) (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 17, 2016
Can be a great job or bad job depending on your hall director and your on-call hours.
Ample opportunities to make a positive impact on students and learn new skills.
Pros
Free Housing, work where you live, see a positive impact in your community
Cons
Potential for extreme amounts of unpaid work.
Productive, enjoyable, friendly.
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 2, 2016
Typically 9 am - 5 pm everyday, involving research and teaching responsibilities. Research advisers are really good. They are very understanding and helpful. Gained teaching experience after coming here and I enjoy it fully. Co-workers are friendly, easy going.
Cons
Healthcare
Excellent univeristy
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 20, 2016
I've had an amazing experience at Iowa State thus far and thats partially because of the courses and professors. There are a variety of classes offered at Iowa State. Most of my classes have been beneficial towards my major and future career although some I also just needed to fill a requirement.
Fun and productive
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 3, 2016
Worked as an undergraduate researcher. Worked with graduate students in the mechanical engineering group for the Self aware complex systems group. Made some trips to the test bed and also made some data analysis. Used wireshark for packet capture and carrying out simulated cyber attacks
Exceptional school with some truly dedicated professors
Senior Design Project (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 16, 2016
Experiences vary between professors in the Computer Engineering program, but I worked with some very inspiring people that fueled my desire to be a great engineer.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Get what you put in
Good place to hone by skills as a student-employee
Student Athlete Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 12, 2015
I really enjoyed working for these odd and end jobs to help build my character and life skills. They constantly helped me understand that I could go a little further with what I knew or with how I could improve the skills I had. They also were always teaching me new skills and abilities to help make me successful.
Pros
Great experience, fun people, just wanted me to learn
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Research Opportunity
Field Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 8, 2015
The ability to conduct research with minimal prior experience is incredible in advancing your knowledge. A typical day consisted of recording data, evaluating, statistical analysis, and report writing. The ability to be a part of a major project and receive accommodation for your work was excellent.
Undergraduate Research Experience is a Must!
Plant Pathology Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 1, 2015
Working in a research laboratory on campus made for a great experience. I learned to balance work, classes, and other campus involvement. Getting involved on campus and getting a work experience helped me do better in school. A typical day includes working with PhD candidates and Post Docs on research projects. I learned what it would be like to continue my education after my undergraduate career. I worked with great people and had knowledgeable supervisors and university faculty that were always helpful and want me to really learn and succeed.

Want to know more about Iowa State University?

Ask a question
Good Communication
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2016
I worked as a Teaching Assistant in which I demonstrated the lab procedures and cautions of the upcoming experiment. I also help students to find out the solution they have during they are doing the experiment.
depends, big university, difficult to summarize
Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 19, 2015
if you work in research, you will be surrounded by highly educated and talented individuals. However, if you work in a commercial lab, you will be surrounded with people who are very difficult to get along with
Pros
job security
Cons
low salary
Fantastic
Research Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 3, 2016
I was given freedom to independently design experiment to achieve a predetermined goal. The management gave me support and direction to achieve my goals without controlling my day to day work.
Great educational Institution
Graduate Student, Department of Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 17, 2016
Powerful educational institution that cares for student welfare. Great academic departments that nourishes the qualities of hard work and accountability.
Fun place to work, good coworkers.
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 23, 2015
I enjoy working there. My coworkers are interesting individuals who are helpful with work related questions. Get back to me in a timely manner about questions. My boss is helpful when I go to her with a problem on uploading files.
Pros
Laid back rules, can eat whenever.
Cons
Work in cubicals
Great place to work, with very laid back atmosohere
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAMay 18, 2016
Able to work on my own, critical think on my own, was able to ask the boss a question when conducting an activity. was able to work at my own pace.
Experience as a Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 8, 2016
Everyday is a new learning and I am able to share my knowledge with the students on a regular basis. The duties are not stressful and can be managed efficiently.
Positive, relaxed enviroment with easy to work with staff
Front Desk Attendent (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 8, 2016
I managed the front desk at a Iowa State University building. On a typical day, I answered phone calls and student inquiries.
Excellent
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I worked as Graduate Teaching and Graduate Research Assistant. I assume the work is very dependent on who you work with/for and not very university dependent.
Professional Environment
IT Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 8, 2016
The job is in a professional setting. A lot of experience is gained by working with computers and other co-workers. Schedule is very flexible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4