Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Did basic farming chores throughout the week
450 Farm employee (Current Employee) –  450 FarmSeptember 22, 2015
Checked up on our swine research for the farm and kept a day to day log on water control and feed consumption. along with working around the grounds of the farm.
Enjoyed my time there.
Custodial Supervisor for Residence Hall (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 16, 2015
Wonderful University, Worked with Brilliant People in my dept. Supervised 86 Union Custodians. Hardest part was supervising 86 Union employees. Best part hands down... The Students, Miss them. Left after 5 years, Mgmt. change.

Employed in the Optical field for 18 plus years.. all aspects ( Optician, Contact Lens Tech, Mgmt., inventory control, Hiring/Terminations etc.Purchasing Frames, Contact Lens, Equipment ( Dr.s Lane, Pre-exam,Visual Fields etc) Very much enjoyed resolving patient visual difficulties, be it glasses or contact lens. Eye care business always evolving. Something new every month. Still receive several Trade magazines.
Pros
Students, Staff, Superiors.
Cons
Very few. Like most careers, have speed bumps sometimes.
Fun workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 10, 2015
Prestigious research university. Really big biofuel program especially thermochemical conversion of biomass. Fun to work with people form different countries.
Not as good as it once was
Business Manager II / Pre-Award Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Beardshear HallAugust 4, 2015
Under staffed, overloaded, culture has changed, professional staff is not valued. Focus and resources are placed on faculty only. Constant last minute demands that are difficult to obtain without working evenings and weekends.
Benefits
Cons
24-7
very productive, safe and pleasant place to work at
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 2, 2015
Iowa State is located in the city of Ames. its a small town where you can find everything you need. from groceries to entertainment. the working environment at Iowa State is very motivational so you can achieve your goals easily.
Exciting role mentoring youth
Head Men's Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 30, 2015
Was able to enter the world of college athletics as a golf coach. had spent my life as a player and given the opportunity to pass along knowledge to others.

Responsible for all activities and management of golf team. Recruiting, staffing, budget, travel, scheduling. I learned how to run an entire operation from top to bottom.

Was given freedom to work on my own, with direct reports to senior staff, however constant staff changes throughout my tenure.

Hardest part of job is basing your living on the actions and decisions of 18-22 year old kids. Most enjoyable was the travel and seeing young men develop into adults.
Pros
Travel, benefits
Cons
restrictions and rules with NCAA
Eh
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IowaJuly 23, 2015
Beautiful campus, low cost of living, nice weather (if you ignore winter). However, I am not a huge fan of my experience as I felt that the politics was out of control. But you know, academia! There are good people there.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Everything else
This is Where I Got A Chance to Fly...
Admissions Counselor, Multicultural Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 2, 2015
I began here as a pup and got a chance to grow...I was given opportunities that changed my view of myself and how I saw the outside world. It did not have the big city feel but it made me feel at home. It became home for several years and I still brag about ISU!!
Pros
Diversity and Inclusion, Student Life, Challenging, Flexibiltiy, Growth
Cons
Small town feel, Diversity and Inclusion
Manager / Head Photographer, ISU Photo Service (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 30, 2015
Iowa State was a great place to work! I was allowed great freedom to move Photo Service from an antiquated thinking unit and unfulfilled staff to a high tech new technologies unit with a happy, motivated cross trained staff.
Cons
Great place for student employment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 29, 2015
I was a student employee so I didn't get much in the way of advancement or job security, but my supervisors were incredibly nice and really flexible with work/class scheduling, and I got paid more than minimum wage so that's a plus!
Pros
Decent pay for students, flexible work schedule
graduate school
Graduate research associate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IaJune 10, 2015
ISU offers many opportunities. My experience of the learning environment has been fine. Sometimes, limitations have occurred in defunct instrumentation or lack of funds. But these problems are ubiquitous to academia. For the most part, I learned a lot and have worked hard. These results are likely common to most institutions offering graduate degrees.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
bird droppings on the sidewalk. At times, you can't see the concrete.
Horticulture Department
Consumer office assistant (Former Employee) –  ames, iowaJune 4, 2015
Develop and design flyers, business cards and booth for events to promote the Master Gardener Program of Iowa.
Interface professionally with all levels of staff and students
Successful as independent worker
Worked in the Master Gardeners Program of Iowa
Translator for Publications and videos in Spanish
Data entry and organization
Working environment
Food Service Worker and Exam Proctor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 1, 2015
Prepare meals for the morning shift and set up the dining area. If in the afternoon, typically during lunch time is one of the harder as it gets busy and required to stay on top with orders so the food line doesn't get backed up. Depending on the the time of day and if it's opening or closing, co-wokers are usually on point in their assigned task. The hardest part was lifting heavy objects (taking out the trash in huge bins, carrying bottles, boxes of milk cartons) in the grocery store and putting them into shelves.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Lifting heavy things
Interesting work, dreary cubical labyrinth
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 26, 2015
I don't work on campus like most other employees, so my experience of ISU is pretty different from many other people. I'm also not a fanatical Cyclones fan, so I view ISU more as a job than a cult. Overall great though, most people are very down to earth and friendly.
Good one-on-one experiences.
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 15, 2015
Since tutoring mostly involves me (the tutor) working one-on-one with the student, not much management supervision was necessary. I also became much better at communicating one-on-one with the students and became more patient. The toughest part of the job was writing my own lesson plans as well as exercises for the students. The most enjoyable part was hearing about the success or improvement in the students' academics as a result of my supplemental teaching.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Not much demand for my particular classes.
Went to school
Activities and Volunteering (Current Employee) –  IowaMay 12, 2015
It is a great school, I am learning a lot. Great learning environment and campus. The people are very friendly. It is not a company.
Very friendly and intellectual environment
Laboratory Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 4, 2015
I work in a very fast paced environment. I enhanced my time-management, multitasking and teamwork skills. My coworkers are very friendly and social, which is the most most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part is to work at a low salary. Therefore, I am looking for a better job.
Great colleagues, awful management
Instructor (Former Employee) –  IowaApril 26, 2015
A typical day at work involved multiple tasks= phone and email communications, meetings, instructional development and delivery, and in general, putting in long hours: evenings and weekends are common. Learned a lot about operations in higher education, curricula development, interacting with diverse populations.

Co-workers were great, supportive and positive, felt like a family. Management on the other hand, was abysmal. Poor-to-no communication skills, little respect given to anyone without a doctorate degree, tends to assign more responsibilities than stated in contract and be dismissive when brought to their attention.

Hardest part of job= insecurity of the position. Non-tenure track instructors are at high risk of having hours and pay reduced or of losing entire position on very short notice. Most enjoyable part of job= working in a field of interest with multiple opportunities for research and practical application, with enjoyable coworkers and students.
Pros
Great benefits, coworkers, subject matter
Cons
Bureaucratic red tape, dysfunctional management, long hours for low pay
Awesome place to work. It is like working with a huge family.
Referee/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 21, 2015
A typical day includes refereeing one or more of the intramural sports offered through the Iowa State Recreational Services. You learn team-building skills, personal relationship skills, and leadership skills by working with other referees and supervisors.
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 14, 2015
Good place to study and work. Peace and quiet. Good professors and coworkers. Nice students too. This is not really a working position, it is just a teaching assistant experience.

4.4