Iowa State University Employee Reviews in United States

Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 3, 2016
If you get the research assistance position you can get in-state tuition which helps a lot to those graduate students who has financial pressures.
Excellent
INSTRUCTOR, History Dept. (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2016
This place was a wonderful to work at. It was a beautiful campus and the people were kind, intelligent and welcoming. Always willing to assist.
Excellent univeristy
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 20, 2016
I've had an amazing experience at Iowa State thus far and thats partially because of the courses and professors. There are a variety of classes offered at Iowa State. Most of my classes have been beneficial towards my major and future career although some I also just needed to fill a requirement.
Excellent
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 18, 2016
Top class research university for applied econometrics and data modeling. Its a land grant university, so most of the agriculture related programs are exceptionally good.
Fun and productive
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 3, 2016
Worked as an undergraduate researcher. Worked with graduate students in the mechanical engineering group for the Self aware complex systems group. Made some trips to the test bed and also made some data analysis. Used wireshark for packet capture and carrying out simulated cyber attacks
Great place for school
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 29, 2015
I do research at the Microelectronics Research Center. I have learnt a lot about conducting research and I am ready to apply it either as part of a company or in academia.
Safety, quiet, and concentrate.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 21, 2015
It is very nice place to study and work. People usually loves and focuses on their research, study, and work. I live the style people lives. If any chance, I would come back and spend the rest of my life in here.
depends, big university, difficult to summarize
Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 19, 2015
if you work in research, you will be surrounded by highly educated and talented individuals. However, if you work in a commercial lab, you will be surrounded with people who are very difficult to get along with
Pros
job security
Cons
low salary
Great Research Opportunity
Field Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 8, 2015
The ability to conduct research with minimal prior experience is incredible in advancing your knowledge. A typical day consisted of recording data, evaluating, statistical analysis, and report writing. The ability to be a part of a major project and receive accommodation for your work was excellent.
Clerk IV, I (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 7, 2015
I have worked at Iowa State University for over 20 years and worked with a lot of great people. The pay and benefits are really good.
Pros
Great People
Cons
pay for parking
Fun place to work, good coworkers.
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 23, 2015
I enjoy working there. My coworkers are interesting individuals who are helpful with work related questions. Get back to me in a timely manner about questions. My boss is helpful when I go to her with a problem on uploading files.
Pros
Laid back rules, can eat whenever.
Cons
Work in cubicals
a special work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 23, 2015
my work is to maintain computer system, install new software for protein structure analysis and crystallize a membrane protein. It is a very hard, challenging and time consuming work. one protein structure had been found when I was there.
Good learning experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 21, 2015
Work was hard and tedious but worth it (and very interesting) because I knew I was making an impact in research to help the scientific community in general.
Pros
learning about advance science and engineering
Cons
no breaks
Good place to hone by skills as a student-employee
Student Athlete Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 12, 2015
I really enjoyed working for these odd and end jobs to help build my character and life skills. They constantly helped me understand that I could go a little further with what I knew or with how I could improve the skills I had. They also were always teaching me new skills and abilities to help make me successful.
Pros
Great experience, fun people, just wanted me to learn
Cons
Not enough hours
Undergraduate Research Experience is a Must!
Plant Pathology Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 1, 2015
Working in a research laboratory on campus made for a great experience. I learned to balance work, classes, and other campus involvement. Getting involved on campus and getting a work experience helped me do better in school. A typical day includes working with PhD candidates and Post Docs on research projects. I learned what it would be like to continue my education after my undergraduate career. I worked with great people and had knowledgeable supervisors and university faculty that were always helpful and want me to really learn and succeed.
Grad student life
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IowaOctober 21, 2015
I already reviewed this. The profs are wise and friendly. The administration though tries to run the college like a company, focusing on money rather than innovation.
Pros
Open to ideas
Cons
Cold winters
Challenging job.
GAMESS Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IowaOctober 14, 2015
Wonderful group with lots of opportunities to grow and develop. Group leader is very helpful and lot of freedom to grow and develop.
Pros
Good Place.
Productive Place to work
Graduate Research Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 14, 2015
Depending on who your supervisor is, I had a great time working as a Research and Teaching Assistant. A typical work day varies from week to week. My managers were amazing! The hardest part to the job is balancing work/life/school.
Excellent experience
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames,IAOctober 10, 2015
Excellent work place to work. Gain knowledge about team leadership, team work, mutual understanding. Specially learn to time management. That's awesome experience.
Did basic farming chores throughout the week
450 Farm employee (Current Employee) –  450 FarmSeptember 22, 2015
Checked up on our swine research for the farm and kept a day to day log on water control and feed consumption. along with working around the grounds of the farm.

4.4