Iowa State University

Iowa State University Employer Reviews

Iowa State is a great school
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAMarch 27, 2014
Iowa State is a great school. I got lot of great experience working for Iowa State.
Beautiful campus, physics department with an inferiority complex
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAMarch 22, 2014
Teaching Iowa State engineering students is an opportunity to interact with a cross section of the best and brightest from the Midwest and around the world. Many of the professors are as bright as anyone anywhere, others are intellectually narrow and enjoy only playing the publication count game. Foreign graduate students are generally much better prepared – more... than domestic, but only a fraction are in graduate study because they love the subject. – less
Productive workplace with lots of learning opportunities
Assistant Research Scientist (Former Employee), Ames, IAMarch 21, 2014
Pros: open space and fresh air
Cons: lack of entertainment
Nice and friendly coworkers. Ample opportunities to interact with professors and professional/scientific staff.
Good education institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAMarch 16, 2014
good place for education in Engineering and Science. Faculties are good.
Not very stable
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Ames, IAMarch 11, 2014
Not a very stable/secure work environment, highly competitive atmosphere and a "fend for yourself" working atmosphere. Not for me.
great
Academic Tutor (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 26, 2014
Great pay.

Flexible hours.

Bosses and coworkers are very nice and helpful.

Great experience.
Strong work ethics
Professsor of Mechanical Engineering (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 20, 2014
I am a dedicated teacher and innovative researcher in the area of advanced manufacturing that includes lasers, 3D printing etc. I am quite interested in teaching mechanical engineering courses, work in the industry on projects that deal with manufacturing. Both conventional and advanced manufacturing topics are of great interest. I am interested in – more... both academia and industry and like to work for a minimum of 5 years on both part-time and full time basis. I can also work as a consultant.

A typical day at work consists of teaching one or two classes and remaining time spent on research, committee work etc. I managed large number of students. I learned how to work with people, compassion in teaching, and read/reviewed a lot of research papers. Overall I am god at industrial applied research and teaching.

I am looking for a warm place and 60 years of age. I am dynamic and enthuastic about work. – less
A great department in a great University
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 19, 2014
Iowa State University is a great place to do research. The Department of Statistics ranks high in United States and the faculty here are working on various research projects.
N/A
Supervisor/Referee (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 18, 2014
Great job!!! Was able to make many friends. This job taught me how to be a leader and what it takes to be a responsible person.
It's a friendly place where you can interact with staff and learn.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: good environment
Cons: benefits
A typical day at work start early in the day with organizing and preparing the labs, machines, and staff to accomplish the the work needed for the next few weeks or days.
An interesting and interactive work environment.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2014
We had weekly meetings for group project updates and then discuss some problems and solutions within the our own personal project. Everyone is enjoyable to work with. I learned how to make swiss cheese and eye development.
productive and fun workplace
Teaching Assistant for Power Electronics (Former Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 27, 2014
Teaching Assistant for Power Electronics, 10 hours’ work per week for 30 undergraduates
Good place to work and study
Research Assistant (Current Employee), AmesJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: flexible working schedule, nice living community, amiable personnel
As a student research assistant, you have high flexibility of working and a great deal of resources provided if necessary
Productive, diverse opportunities
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IowaJanuary 9, 2014
Among various things the most important things I learnt are time management, team work and organization.
Practice my knowledge
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 5, 2014
My duty is only grading students' paper. Every week I should gather students' homework and after finding the correct solutions I spend some hours to grade them. It is fascinating, because I learn many new methods for solving problems. some times I encounter strange ways for approaching correct one.
University environment
Graduate Assistant in Computational Fluid Dynamics (Current Employee), Ames, IADecember 26, 2013
I have worked at Iowa State University as a graduate student; therefore, I may not compare my routine with a someone who has worked for a company.
Working for Iowa State University offers many opportunities
Design Shops Manager (Current Employee), College of Design and the ArmoryDecember 16, 2013
Pros: contacts, great advice, opportunities to learn new processes, very kind people
Cons: high stress, low pay, needed in multiple places at once
While working with Iowa State University a typical day would be focused between three prototyping spaces. The first being for Industrial Design in their prototyping lab, the second with the Arch/Landscape Arch Model shop, and the last with the CNC router/Milling machine. Working in these areas have developed in me patience, management of others one – more... on one and in group settings, special project management for the college, and many opportunities to learn about different prototyping and building processes. Co-workers are kind here. The hardest part of my job would be juggling time commitments to the three spaces during high volume usage by students. I teach students how to run the tools, help them with their design problems, and maintain the spaces' tools and equipment. Over all I enjoy my job and the best part of being a part of the university is there is always something new and interesting to work on or learn about. – less
Great place to work for busy college students
ISU Dining Employee (Current Employee), Ames, IADecember 2, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: few hours
One of the great aspects of this job was that each day I had a different job which kept everything interesting. Some days it was my job to keep of all the drink machines full and operational. Other days I would make subs or work in the dish room. I didn't learn a lot from this job since I had worked many jobs like it, but I enjoy this type of work.

The – more... most difficult part of work was staying busy. The busier I could stay, the faster time went by. I really enjoyed working different venues each day. – less
Fun place with fun people
Dining Center Associate (Former Employee), Ames, IADecember 2, 2013
It's my first working experience in a dinning center. I learned how to take responsibility and how to manage time between work and school.
Good university
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IANovember 30, 2013
I studied in the university. it's a great place with good professors.