Iowa State University

Iowa State University Employer Reviews

N/A
Supervisor/Referee (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 18, 2014
Great job!!! Was able to make many friends. This job taught me how to be a leader and what it takes to be a responsible person.
It's a friendly place where you can interact with staff and learn.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: good environment
Cons: benefits
A typical day at work start early in the day with organizing and preparing the labs, machines, and staff to accomplish the the work needed for the next few weeks or days.
An interesting and interactive work environment.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2014
We had weekly meetings for group project updates and then discuss some problems and solutions within the our own personal project. Everyone is enjoyable to work with. I learned how to make swiss cheese and eye development.
productive and fun workplace
Teaching Assistant for Power Electronics (Former Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 27, 2014
Teaching Assistant for Power Electronics, 10 hours’ work per week for 30 undergraduates
Good place to work and study
Research Assistant (Current Employee), AmesJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: flexible working schedule, nice living community, amiable personnel
As a student research assistant, you have high flexibility of working and a great deal of resources provided if necessary
Productive, diverse opportunities
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IowaJanuary 9, 2014
Among various things the most important things I learnt are time management, team work and organization.
Practice my knowledge
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 5, 2014
My duty is only grading students' paper. Every week I should gather students' homework and after finding the correct solutions I spend some hours to grade them. It is fascinating, because I learn many new methods for solving problems. some times I encounter strange ways for approaching correct one.
University environment
Graduate Assistant in Computational Fluid Dynamics (Current Employee), Ames, IADecember 26, 2013
I have worked at Iowa State University as a graduate student; therefore, I may not compare my routine with a someone who has worked for a company.
Working for Iowa State University offers many opportunities
Design Shops Manager (Current Employee), College of Design and the ArmoryDecember 16, 2013
Pros: contacts, great advice, opportunities to learn new processes, very kind people
Cons: high stress, low pay, needed in multiple places at once
While working with Iowa State University a typical day would be focused between three prototyping spaces. The first being for Industrial Design in their prototyping lab, the second with the Arch/Landscape Arch Model shop, and the last with the CNC router/Milling machine. Working in these areas have developed in me patience, management of others one – more... on one and in group settings, special project management for the college, and many opportunities to learn about different prototyping and building processes. Co-workers are kind here. The hardest part of my job would be juggling time commitments to the three spaces during high volume usage by students. I teach students how to run the tools, help them with their design problems, and maintain the spaces' tools and equipment. Over all I enjoy my job and the best part of being a part of the university is there is always something new and interesting to work on or learn about. – less
Great place to work for busy college students
ISU Dining Employee (Current Employee), Ames, IADecember 2, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: few hours
One of the great aspects of this job was that each day I had a different job which kept everything interesting. Some days it was my job to keep of all the drink machines full and operational. Other days I would make subs or work in the dish room. I didn't learn a lot from this job since I had worked many jobs like it, but I enjoy this type of work.

The – more... most difficult part of work was staying busy. The busier I could stay, the faster time went by. I really enjoyed working different venues each day. – less
Fun place with fun people
Dining Center Associate (Former Employee), Ames, IADecember 2, 2013
It's my first working experience in a dinning center. I learned how to take responsibility and how to manage time between work and school.
Good university
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IANovember 30, 2013
I studied in the university. it's a great place with good professors.
Typical university atmosphere.
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IANovember 27, 2013
Like most universities, teaching and research and take up a lot of time but it is on one's own schedule and there are lengthy breaks if needed in summer and winter.
It was a good experience.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), AmesOctober 25, 2013
Despite the cold weather the place has its own charm of bringing intellectual minds together.
Undergraduate teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAOctober 21, 2013
Work with Steve Kautz if you can. He is the best lecturer to work for.
Knowledgeable faculty
Lecturer (Former Employee), Ames, IAOctober 18, 2013
Please tell us more about working at this company in your review.
what I learned in finance internship
Food Court Cashier (Former Employee), 2229 Lincoln Way | Ames, IA 50011-1130October 14, 2013
Learned company financing operations and roles of each department
Calculated daily incomes/outcomes
Reported financing results to managers and other departments
ME 170 TA
ME 170 Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IASeptember 25, 2013
I was not a computer man before I learned ME 170 which is a basic CAD course at Iowa State University. I tried really hard on the course since I love that course even thought I could not sleep due to the homework problem.
The following year, since I used Solidworks tool a lot than other students, my 3D drawing skill is better than the rest of the class. – more... On my senior year I applied for TA for ME 170, and Iowa State University gave me a opportunity to be a TA for me 170. I have 10 hours a week teaching Solidworks with freshman, and tried to be patient, let them understood the meaning for different tools in Solidworks.
One of the hardest thing for this job was the understanding of the student. Because different student had different background, so their level for computer tools were different, some student asked very simple problem, I explained to them carefully, and other students probably had different problem; therefore, I tried my best to teach them step by step, which spent long time period.
I really enjoy this work since it is my first professional work in my life. I felt very happy helped students learning new software. When students got A on the course, I was proud of my patient and skill. – less
Post Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Ames, IAAugust 18, 2013
I learned asymmetric catalysis.
Optimize reaction conditions to get high yield and enantioselectivity.
productive and fun
graduate student (Current Employee), Ames, IowaJuly 21, 2013
Pros: plan your own schedule
Cons: snow
productive, great learning environment and opportunity to grow professionally