Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Not as good as it once was
Business Manager II / Pre-Award Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Beardshear HallAugust 4, 2015
Under staffed, overloaded, culture has changed, professional staff is not valued. Focus and resources are placed on faculty only. Constant last minute demands that are difficult to obtain without working evenings and weekends.
Benefits
Cons
24-7
Typical Day
System Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 24, 2013
This job was 80 percent of me answering helpdesk phones and going out on all the calls to fix computer /software issues. Worked on three budgets for department also. The hardest part of the job was keeping up and trying to get everything done in a day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the users. Co-workers were a great team of staff. Management was also good.
Pros
Lots of running around and getting exercise. Great healthcare/benefits.
Cons
Not enough staff to do the work.
Stressful but rewarding
Community Adviser (RA) (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 17, 2016
Can be a great job or bad job depending on your hall director and your on-call hours.
Ample opportunities to make a positive impact on students and learn new skills.
Pros
Free Housing, work where you live, see a positive impact in your community
Cons
Potential for extreme amounts of unpaid work.
Great place to work, with very laid back atmosohere
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAMay 18, 2016
Able to work on my own, critical think on my own, was able to ask the boss a question when conducting an activity. was able to work at my own pace.
Excellent
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I worked as Graduate Teaching and Graduate Research Assistant. I assume the work is very dependent on who you work with/for and not very university dependent.
Excellent
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 18, 2016
Top class research university for applied econometrics and data modeling. Its a land grant university, so most of the agriculture related programs are exceptionally good.
Very friendly and intellectual environment
Laboratory Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 4, 2015
I work in a very fast paced environment. I enhanced my time-management, multitasking and teamwork skills. My coworkers are very friendly and social, which is the most most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part is to work at a low salary. Therefore, I am looking for a better job.
Creative and inspiring place with a lot of interesting people
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 8, 2012
I think this is one of the best places I have ever work during my life. One thing that makes it particularly attractive is people that work here. They come here with different background, bringing new knowledge and experience, not to mention culture. Environment is friendly and collaborative, which allows anyone to grow up professionally and personally. You can learn a lot and very diverse things.
Pros
amazing campus
Cons
environment is a bit more relaxed than in industry, which can be both good and bad
Professional Environment
IT Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 8, 2016
The job is in a professional setting. A lot of experience is gained by working with computers and other co-workers. Schedule is very flexible.
Positive, relaxed enviroment with easy to work with staff
Front Desk Attendent (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 8, 2016
I managed the front desk at a Iowa State University building. On a typical day, I answered phone calls and student inquiries.
Productive, enjoyable, friendly.
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 2, 2016
Typically 9 am - 5 pm everyday, involving research and teaching responsibilities. Research advisers are really good. They are very understanding and helpful. Gained teaching experience after coming here and I enjoy it fully. Co-workers are friendly, easy going.
Cons
Healthcare
Clerk IV, I (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 7, 2015
I have worked at Iowa State University for over 20 years and worked with a lot of great people. The pay and benefits are really good.
Pros
Great People
Cons
pay for parking
Good one-on-one experiences.
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 15, 2015
Since tutoring mostly involves me (the tutor) working one-on-one with the student, not much management supervision was necessary. I also became much better at communicating one-on-one with the students and became more patient. The toughest part of the job was writing my own lesson plans as well as exercises for the students. The most enjoyable part was hearing about the success or improvement in the students' academics as a result of my supplemental teaching.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Not much demand for my particular classes.
great place to work, friendly co-workers and we worked together well, friendly faculty
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Department of Mathematics, 396 Carver HallDecember 19, 2012
I answered the telephone and greeted people at the door, typed, copied, helped faculty and student use and fix equipment as needed, used the computer for many tasks, did database work - entering and correcting data, making reports, importing and exporting data as necessary. I learned more about who did what on campus and where to direct all inquiries. Management was very accommodating of personal needs, family first. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. The hardest part of the job was saying 'goodbye' when I moved away.
Pros
the people, people working together
Exceptional school with some truly dedicated professors
Senior Design Project (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 16, 2016
Experiences vary between professors in the Computer Engineering program, but I worked with some very inspiring people that fueled my desire to be a great engineer.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Get what you put in
Nice School
Teaching Assistant (TA), Food Analysis (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 24, 2013
Product development is my passion as it allows me to be creative and solve problems. I've spent most of my after class time in developing products in the past two years; I’ve explored many interesting ingredients and technologies along the way. I participated in three product development competitions and two of my products were the winner in national competitions. I give credit of the two successes to project management skill and teamwork which I spent a lot of time building and yet have more to learn about. In addition to the opportunity to be creative and solve problems, participating in product development competitions also gave me a chance to interact with people outside of my circle; I had to reach out to my peers or even graduate students to form a team, call sponsors and suppliers to get ingredients, talk to departments to get approval on human subject testing (sensory evaluation), poster printing, trip to conferences etc. It expanded my circle, which was a valuable and joyful bonus for joining the competition.
Great place for student employment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 29, 2015
I was a student employee so I didn't get much in the way of advancement or job security, but my supervisors were incredibly nice and really flexible with work/class scheduling, and I got paid more than minimum wage so that's a plus!
Pros
Decent pay for students, flexible work schedule
Excellent experience
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames,IAOctober 10, 2015
Excellent work place to work. Gain knowledge about team leadership, team work, mutual understanding. Specially learn to time management. That's awesome experience.
Thesis research about Black Aspergilli in maize kernels
Internship (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 8, 2015
The aim of the research is to characterize the fungal population associated to maize grown in Iowa and Kentucky, with focus on the composition of Black Aspergilli, in order to understand the incidence of this genus in maize kernels and their potential contribute in fumonisin contamination.
During this internship, I carried out bench work such as culture fungi, plating, enumeration, DNA extraction, PCR, fungi identification.
Good Communication
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2016
I worked as a Teaching Assistant in which I demonstrated the lab procedures and cautions of the upcoming experiment. I also help students to find out the solution they have during they are doing the experiment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4