Iowa State University

Iowa State University Employer Reviews

Great place to work for busy college students
ISU Dining Employee (Current Employee), Ames, IADecember 2, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: few hours
One of the great aspects of this job was that each day I had a different job which kept everything interesting. Some days it was my job to keep of all the drink machines full and operational. Other days I would make subs or work in the dish room. I didn't learn a lot from this job since I had worked many jobs like it, but I enjoy this type of work.

The – more... most difficult part of work was staying busy. The busier I could stay, the faster time went by. I really enjoyed working different venues each day. – less
Fun place with fun people
Dining Center Associate (Former Employee), Ames, IADecember 2, 2013
It's my first working experience in a dinning center. I learned how to take responsibility and how to manage time between work and school.
Good university
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IANovember 30, 2013
I studied in the university. it's a great place with good professors.
Typical university atmosphere.
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IANovember 27, 2013
Like most universities, teaching and research and take up a lot of time but it is on one's own schedule and there are lengthy breaks if needed in summer and winter.
It was a good experience.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), AmesOctober 25, 2013
Despite the cold weather the place has its own charm of bringing intellectual minds together.
Undergraduate teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAOctober 21, 2013
Work with Steve Kautz if you can. He is the best lecturer to work for.
Knowledgeable faculty
Lecturer (Former Employee), Ames, IAOctober 18, 2013
Please tell us more about working at this company in your review.
what I learned in finance internship
Food Court Cashier (Former Employee), 2229 Lincoln Way | Ames, IA 50011-1130October 14, 2013
Learned company financing operations and roles of each department
Calculated daily incomes/outcomes
Reported financing results to managers and other departments
ME 170 TA
ME 170 Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IASeptember 25, 2013
I was not a computer man before I learned ME 170 which is a basic CAD course at Iowa State University. I tried really hard on the course since I love that course even thought I could not sleep due to the homework problem.
The following year, since I used Solidworks tool a lot than other students, my 3D drawing skill is better than the rest of the class. – more... On my senior year I applied for TA for ME 170, and Iowa State University gave me a opportunity to be a TA for me 170. I have 10 hours a week teaching Solidworks with freshman, and tried to be patient, let them understood the meaning for different tools in Solidworks.
One of the hardest thing for this job was the understanding of the student. Because different student had different background, so their level for computer tools were different, some student asked very simple problem, I explained to them carefully, and other students probably had different problem; therefore, I tried my best to teach them step by step, which spent long time period.
I really enjoy this work since it is my first professional work in my life. I felt very happy helped students learning new software. When students got A on the course, I was proud of my patient and skill. – less
Post Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Ames, IAAugust 18, 2013
I learned asymmetric catalysis.
Optimize reaction conditions to get high yield and enantioselectivity.
productive and fun
graduate student (Current Employee), Ames, IowaJuly 21, 2013
Pros: plan your own schedule
Cons: snow
productive, great learning environment and opportunity to grow professionally
Nice School
Teaching Assistant (TA), Food Analysis (Former Employee), Ames, IAJune 24, 2013
Product development is my passion as it allows me to be creative and solve problems. I've spent most of my after class time in developing products in the past two years; I’ve explored many interesting ingredients and technologies along the way. I participated in three product development competitions and two of my products were the winner in national – more... competitions. I give credit of the two successes to project management skill and teamwork which I spent a lot of time building and yet have more to learn about. In addition to the opportunity to be creative and solve problems, participating in product development competitions also gave me a chance to interact with people outside of my circle; I had to reach out to my peers or even graduate students to form a team, call sponsors and suppliers to get ingredients, talk to departments to get approval on human subject testing (sensory evaluation), poster printing, trip to conferences etc. It expanded my circle, which was a valuable and joyful bonus for joining the competition. – less
Typical Day
System Support Specialist II (Former Employee), Ames, IAJune 24, 2013
Pros: lots of running around and getting exercise. great healthcare/benefits.
Cons: not enough staff to do the work.
This job was 80 percent of me answering helpdesk phones and going out on all the calls to fix computer /software issues. Worked on three budgets for department also. The hardest part of the job was keeping up and trying to get everything done in a day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the users. Co-workers were a great team of staff. – more... Management was also good. – less
Obtained M.S degree
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAMay 20, 2013
I worked very hard during those two years. My adviser provided me great guidance and endless resources.
Great student job
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAMay 14, 2013
Good job that teaches a lot while you are still in school. Great hours and decent pay
A Unique Environment
English Lecturer (Current Employee), Ames, IAApril 30, 2013
Pros: autonomous work
Cons: lecturer pay is not great
The state college campus comes with its unique working environment. Of course there is a plethora of intellectuals to associate and socialize with and high standards at every level.
People are friendly and nice. Lots of research seminars and discussion. Good place to do plant research.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAApril 14, 2013
I did my PhD at Iowa State University. Ames is quite and peaceful. Great environment to learn plant biology.
wonderful place for study
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IowaMarch 14, 2013
People are nice here. The working environment is great, except weather.
Good college atmosphere with great research opportunities for international students.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAMarch 7, 2013
A typical day at work involves trying to improve the working of a Pyrolysis cell for research. Deal with alot of Chemistry,design,heat trasnfer and fluid flow. Good support from professor as well as good co-workers.
meaningful to help students with their course problems
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 15, 2013
Help and guide the students with their projects for operating CNC milling machine for almost 10 hours in one day. But feel happy to see the students' project complete in a good quality.