Iowa State University

Iowa State University Employer Reviews

productive and fun
graduate student (Current Employee), Ames, IowaJuly 21, 2013
Pros: plan your own schedule
Cons: snow
productive, great learning environment and opportunity to grow professionally
Nice School
Teaching Assistant (TA), Food Analysis (Former Employee), Ames, IAJune 24, 2013
Product development is my passion as it allows me to be creative and solve problems. I've spent most of my after class time in developing products in the past two years; I’ve explored many interesting ingredients and technologies along the way. I participated in three product development competitions and two of my products were the winner in national – more... competitions. I give credit of the two successes to project management skill and teamwork which I spent a lot of time building and yet have more to learn about. In addition to the opportunity to be creative and solve problems, participating in product development competitions also gave me a chance to interact with people outside of my circle; I had to reach out to my peers or even graduate students to form a team, call sponsors and suppliers to get ingredients, talk to departments to get approval on human subject testing (sensory evaluation), poster printing, trip to conferences etc. It expanded my circle, which was a valuable and joyful bonus for joining the competition. – less
Typical Day
System Support Specialist II (Former Employee), Ames, IAJune 24, 2013
Pros: lots of running around and getting exercise. great healthcare/benefits.
Cons: not enough staff to do the work.
This job was 80 percent of me answering helpdesk phones and going out on all the calls to fix computer /software issues. Worked on three budgets for department also. The hardest part of the job was keeping up and trying to get everything done in a day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the users. Co-workers were a great team of staff. – more... Management was also good. – less
Obtained M.S degree
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAMay 20, 2013
I worked very hard during those two years. My adviser provided me great guidance and endless resources.
Great student job
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAMay 14, 2013
Good job that teaches a lot while you are still in school. Great hours and decent pay
A Unique Environment
English Lecturer (Current Employee), Ames, IAApril 30, 2013
Pros: autonomous work
Cons: lecturer pay is not great
The state college campus comes with its unique working environment. Of course there is a plethora of intellectuals to associate and socialize with and high standards at every level.
People are friendly and nice. Lots of research seminars and discussion. Good place to do plant research.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAApril 14, 2013
I did my PhD at Iowa State University. Ames is quite and peaceful. Great environment to learn plant biology.
wonderful place for study
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IowaMarch 14, 2013
People are nice here. The working environment is great, except weather.
Good college atmosphere with great research opportunities for international students.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAMarch 7, 2013
A typical day at work involves trying to improve the working of a Pyrolysis cell for research. Deal with alot of Chemistry,design,heat trasnfer and fluid flow. Good support from professor as well as good co-workers.
meaningful to help students with their course problems
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 15, 2013
Help and guide the students with their projects for operating CNC milling machine for almost 10 hours in one day. But feel happy to see the students' project complete in a good quality.
Great work environment
Program Coordinator II (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJanuary 28, 2013
I worked with the Child Welfare Research and Training Project. It was a wonderful experience and very much a growing experience. Unfortunately, we lost funding and our employment.
Great school
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 22, 2013
Great school and department! Cutting edge researches, friendly people, nice professors who are always willing to help. Beautiful campus.
Fun and flexible for student schedules
Student Researcher (Former Employee), CNDEJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: flexible, good pay
Cons: breaks not included
Awesome part time in school job. Went well with my minor in nondestructive evaluation. Job was challenging and fun and the best part was using different NDE methods and working with customers.
Great Place to get your education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IADecember 25, 2012
People in ISU are nice. The project is interesting:)
And I learned a lot.
great place to work, friendly co-workers and we worked together well, friendly faculty
Secretary II (Former Employee), Department of Mathematics, 396 Carver HallDecember 19, 2012
Pros: the people, people working together
I answered the telephone and greeted people at the door, typed, copied, helped faculty and student use and fix equipment as needed, used the computer for many tasks, did database work - entering and correcting data, making reports, importing and exporting data as necessary. I learned more about who did what on campus and where to direct all inquiries. – more... Management was very accommodating of personal needs, family first. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. The hardest part of the job was saying 'goodbye' when I moved away. – less
Research oriented
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IANovember 4, 2012
Great place to explore and do something new, There is lot of scope for research funding by the professors on campus
One of the safest cities in the US
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAOctober 25, 2012
The environment is very friendly in general. You can work long hours and walk home in the middle of the night with no worries. People is educated with a high sense of consideration for others.
A place where people work hard
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IASeptember 19, 2012
Its like any other job, where you go to put in your best every day. From doing varied and multiple research consistently, I became good at conducting research, project and time management, plus multitasking.
Great working environment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IASeptember 12, 2012
Was able to work my own hours, just had to have a set schedule every week. Worked outside was usually a plus and was around great co-workers.
Professional place to learn
Research Assistant (RA) (Former Employee), Ames, IAAugust 5, 2012
It's a professional place to do my research work.
Good overall learning experience and had a great time
with many research scholars.