Iowa State University Employee Reviews in United States

Great place for student employment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 29, 2015
I was a student employee so I didn't get much in the way of advancement or job security, but my supervisors were incredibly nice and really flexible with work/class scheduling, and I got paid more than minimum wage so that's a plus!
Pros
Decent pay for students, flexible work schedule
Good learning experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 21, 2015
Work was hard and tedious but worth it (and very interesting) because I knew I was making an impact in research to help the scientific community in general.
Pros
learning about advance science and engineering
Cons
no breaks
a special work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 23, 2015
my work is to maintain computer system, install new software for protein structure analysis and crystallize a membrane protein. It is a very hard, challenging and time consuming work. one protein structure had been found when I was there.
Excellent experience
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames,IAOctober 10, 2015
Excellent work place to work. Gain knowledge about team leadership, team work, mutual understanding. Specially learn to time management. That's awesome experience.
Productive Place to work
Graduate Research Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 14, 2015
Depending on who your supervisor is, I had a great time working as a Research and Teaching Assistant. A typical work day varies from week to week. My managers were amazing! The hardest part to the job is balancing work/life/school.
Grad student life
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IowaOctober 21, 2015
I already reviewed this. The profs are wise and friendly. The administration though tries to run the college like a company, focusing on money rather than innovation.
Pros
Open to ideas
Cons
Cold winters
It's a friendly place where you can interact with staff and learn.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2014
A typical day at work start early in the day with organizing and preparing the labs, machines, and staff to accomplish the the work needed for the next few weeks or days.
Pros
good environment
benefits
Challenging job.
GAMESS Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IowaOctober 14, 2015
Wonderful group with lots of opportunities to grow and develop. Group leader is very helpful and lot of freedom to grow and develop.
Pros
Good Place.
Good one-on-one experiences.
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 15, 2015
Since tutoring mostly involves me (the tutor) working one-on-one with the student, not much management supervision was necessary. I also became much better at communicating one-on-one with the students and became more patient. The toughest part of the job was writing my own lesson plans as well as exercises for the students. The most enjoyable part was hearing about the success or improvement in the students' academics as a result of my supplemental teaching.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Not much demand for my particular classes.
Great place to work !!
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  amesAugust 1, 2012
Loved working there, i worked third shift and everyone was awesome. I wish i would of stayed there i would be able to retire now with tiaCref and or ipers.
Pros
relaxed fun to work there.
Cons
at the time did not pay a lot, ut better now and they do and benefits !!
Did basic farming chores throughout the week
450 Farm employee (Current Employee) –  450 FarmSeptember 22, 2015
Checked up on our swine research for the farm and kept a day to day log on water control and feed consumption. along with working around the grounds of the farm.
Eh
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IowaJuly 23, 2015
Beautiful campus, low cost of living, nice weather (if you ignore winter). However, I am not a huge fan of my experience as I felt that the politics was out of control. But you know, academia! There are good people there.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Everything else
Working environment
Food Service Worker and Exam Proctor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 1, 2015
Prepare meals for the morning shift and set up the dining area. If in the afternoon, typically during lunch time is one of the harder as it gets busy and required to stay on top with orders so the food line doesn't get backed up. Depending on the the time of day and if it's opening or closing, co-wokers are usually on point in their assigned task. The hardest part was lifting heavy objects (taking out the trash in huge bins, carrying bottles, boxes of milk cartons) in the grocery store and putting them into shelves.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Lifting heavy things
This is Where I Got A Chance to Fly...
Admissions Counselor, Multicultural Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 2, 2015
I began here as a pup and got a chance to grow...I was given opportunities that changed my view of myself and how I saw the outside world. It did not have the big city feel but it made me feel at home. It became home for several years and I still brag about ISU!!
Pros
Diversity and Inclusion, Student Life, Challenging, Flexibiltiy, Growth
Cons
Small town feel, Diversity and Inclusion
graduate school
Graduate research associate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IaJune 10, 2015
ISU offers many opportunities. My experience of the learning environment has been fine. Sometimes, limitations have occurred in defunct instrumentation or lack of funds. But these problems are ubiquitous to academia. For the most part, I learned a lot and have worked hard. These results are likely common to most institutions offering graduate degrees.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
bird droppings on the sidewalk. At times, you can't see the concrete.
very productive, safe and pleasant place to work at
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 2, 2015
Iowa State is located in the city of Ames. its a small town where you can find everything you need. from groceries to entertainment. the working environment at Iowa State is very motivational so you can achieve your goals easily.
Iowa State University-Pilot Plant
Pilot Plant Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 29, 2015
The Pilot Plant is located in the Food Science Building at Iowa State University. Typical Responsibilities of the job include:
 Assist student and outside company food processing projects within the ISU Pilot Plant.
 Work with plant supervisor to oversee and advise the various projects using the food processing equipment.
 Maintain a sanitary environment within the Pilot Plant.

The Pilot Plant is a good work experience and preparation for what an actual food production/ manufacturing job, because it involves working with various food manufacturing projects and machinery.
Pros
Good Hours, Above-average hourly wage, good technical training.
Cons
N/A
Thesis research about Black Aspergilli in maize kernels
Internship (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 8, 2015
The aim of the research is to characterize the fungal population associated to maize grown in Iowa and Kentucky, with focus on the composition of Black Aspergilli, in order to understand the incidence of this genus in maize kernels and their potential contribute in fumonisin contamination.
During this internship, I carried out bench work such as culture fungi, plating, enumeration, DNA extraction, PCR, fungi identification.
Fun workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 10, 2015
Prestigious research university. Really big biofuel program especially thermochemical conversion of biomass. Fun to work with people form different countries.
Horticulture Department
Consumer office assistant (Former Employee) –  ames, iowaJune 4, 2015
Develop and design flyers, business cards and booth for events to promote the Master Gardener Program of Iowa.
Interface professionally with all levels of staff and students
Successful as independent worker