Iowa State University

Iowa State University Employer Reviews

Fun and flexible for student schedules
Student Researcher (Former Employee), CNDEJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: flexible, good pay
Cons: breaks not included
Awesome part time in school job. Went well with my minor in nondestructive evaluation. Job was challenging and fun and the best part was using different NDE methods and working with customers.
Great Place to get your education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IADecember 25, 2012
People in ISU are nice. The project is interesting:)
And I learned a lot.
great place to work, friendly co-workers and we worked together well, friendly faculty
Secretary II (Former Employee), Department of Mathematics, 396 Carver HallDecember 19, 2012
Pros: the people, people working together
I answered the telephone and greeted people at the door, typed, copied, helped faculty and student use and fix equipment as needed, used the computer for many tasks, did database work - entering and correcting data, making reports, importing and exporting data as necessary. I learned more about who did what on campus and where to direct all inquiries. – more... Management was very accommodating of personal needs, family first. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. The hardest part of the job was saying 'goodbye' when I moved away. – less
Research oriented
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IANovember 4, 2012
Great place to explore and do something new, There is lot of scope for research funding by the professors on campus
One of the safest cities in the US
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAOctober 25, 2012
The environment is very friendly in general. You can work long hours and walk home in the middle of the night with no worries. People is educated with a high sense of consideration for others.
A place where people work hard
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IASeptember 19, 2012
Its like any other job, where you go to put in your best every day. From doing varied and multiple research consistently, I became good at conducting research, project and time management, plus multitasking.
Great working environment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IASeptember 12, 2012
Was able to work my own hours, just had to have a set schedule every week. Worked outside was usually a plus and was around great co-workers.
Professional place to learn
Research Assistant (RA) (Former Employee), Ames, IAAugust 5, 2012
It's a professional place to do my research work.
Good overall learning experience and had a great time
with many research scholars.
Great place to work !!
Maintenance (Former Employee), amesAugust 1, 2012
Pros: relaxed fun to work there.
Cons: at the time did not pay a lot, ut better now and they do and benefits !!
Loved working there, i worked third shift and everyone was awesome. I wish i would of stayed there i would be able to retire now with tiaCref and or ipers.
Great place to do research and enjoy life
Research/ Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAJuly 28, 2012
Being a graduate student at ISU is fun. The country style life can balance study and pleasure equally.
As a grad student, you're pretty much slave labor. Poor pay, benefits, management
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAJuly 26, 2012
Pros: no tuition
Cons: awful healthcare, no management accountability, poor pay, poor working conditions.
I can't even begin to describe my dissatisfaction with this university. We had to fight tooth and nail just to get pay raises to keep up with rising housing costs in town. The health benefits are good if you get the sniffles, but heaven help you if you have a serious illness. The university aims to keep all complaints off the books through informal – more... discussions, so no one is ever held accountable for poor management decisions. The physics department is run as an old-boy's club (no domestic female graduate students have entered in the past 4 years). They simply don't take their students' concerns seriously, and their interest is entirely in maintaining the faculty.

Also, it's grad school. You may be paid for "half-time" (ie, 20 hour work week) but if you don't put in at least 60 hours a week, apparently you're doing it wrong. – less

January 16, 2013

As a grad student, I can't agree with this more. This university just don't take students concern seriously. A couple tenured professors have really bad morality.

Productive and fun workplace with casual environment
GIS intern (Former Employee), Ames, IowaJuly 23, 2012
I liked working with Iowa State University Extension as it gave me the knowledge of GIS as well as Planning.
Good place to do research work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAJuly 23, 2012
Statistical modeling on housing data. Great professors and student colleagues.
great undergrad laboratory experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAJuly 13, 2012
I learned a lot, the research mentors are amazing, caring, and intelligent.
My Job Duties
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAJuly 9, 2012
Pros: field trips to different parts of the states.
Cons: set hours of work
My typical day at work is taking pictures of students in the process of doing their research project. I also assist in daily activities. I work with assisting students in the Latin Center at Iowa State University. I have learned to make videos using IMovie. My co-workers are from all different parts of the world and we all bring something different – more... to the job. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am able to meet new people and work in various environments. The hardest part of my job is being able to communicate with co-workers and the supervisor. – less
Learned about food service while working with friends
ISU Cafeteria Student Worker (Former Employee), Ames, IAJuly 3, 2012
Pros: i learned about food services
Cons: not many hours because of classes
I loved working at Iowa State University Dining. I made lots of friends while working with food, my favorite thing.
Creative and inspiring place with a lot of interesting people
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Ames, IAJune 8, 2012
Pros: amazing campus
Cons: environment is a bit more relaxed than in industry, which can be both good and bad
I think this is one of the best places I have ever work during my life. One thing that makes it particularly attractive is people that work here. They come here with different background, bringing new knowledge and experience, not to mention culture. Environment is friendly and collaborative, which allows anyone to grow up professionally and personally. – more... You can learn a lot and very diverse things. – less
Great University
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAJune 7, 2012
Pros: nice work environment
Cons: small town
It is one of the best Universities of the Midwest. There is a great work environment.
Sanctuary away from school
President and Captain, ISU Cyclone Hockey Club (Former Employee), Ames, IAMay 17, 2012
Pros: hockey
Cons: nothing
- Played hockey for four years
- Workouts in the morning
- Practice in the afternoons (3:30pm-5:00pm)
- Games Fridays and Saturdays (7:00pm)
- Learned valuable leadership and teamwork skills while playing there
Great Enviornment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAMay 9, 2012
Pros: very flexible
Cons: sometimes too flexible
The graduate courses given are great with some really bright Professors. As for my work as an RA the professor I worked under was vary flexible and had me work on a variety of projects. I became very proficiency in data management and some statistical software. The hardest part was scheduling this work around the normal PhD course work.