Irving Oil Employee Reviews

Regional Company Committed to Its Employees and Community
HR Partner (Current Employee) –  New EnglandOctober 13, 2017
I've never worked for a company with as much integrity as Irving Oil. Management has done a wonderful job of creating a culture where employees know they are expected to do the right thing for the right reason across all levels of the company.

Our safety culture is second to none. Employee and community safety is always a point of discussion and a driving basis for day to day decisions - whether it means upgrading equipment, pulling trucks off the road due to inclement weather, or implementing process safety initiatives.

Starting with the Irving family, the degree of attention and care devoted to keeping our employees safe is rivaled only by our passion to be a good partner in the communities that we serve. Making environmentally sound decisions, supporting local charitable endeavors, and celebrating the successes of our employees and the contributions they make in their communities is a cornerstone of Irving's brand.

As a member of HR, I truly feel that my role is to advocate for employees and I feel empowered to do so. I know the desire to do the right thing is there and we execute on that every day in every way. I am very proud to be a part of this company!
Pros
Safety Culture, Engaged Management, Social Responsibility, Company Pride
Cons
External, Uncontrollable Factors such as weather can impact the workload
great working with customers.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTAugust 9, 2017
Working for this company was a great experiance as far as customer serve goes. This company did not allow any advancement and i worked there for 7 years with no raise.
Pros
customers are great
Cons
no raises
People were friendly.
Load Builder (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHJune 19, 2017
Expectations were set too high, pushed customer service excellence, but rarely had the customer in mind. Pushed safety, and broke the rules when it suited management.
Positive yet solitary workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Glastonbury, CTMay 16, 2017
Every day I would stand behind the counter, at the register, and deal with customer transactions both in the store, and outside pumping gas. My boss was a very friendly women, who cares about the well being of her employees. Besides training when I first started the job, I mostly worked alone, until someone came in for the next shift. The only difficult part of the job was dealing with customers who can only see things their way, and refuse to cooperate. However, through this job I have built social skills and workplace confidence. The best part of the job was seeing the familiar faces every day, of regular customers who came to know me overtime.
Amazing work environment
Fuel Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Holden, MEApril 21, 2017
Irving provided me with great employment with the ability to advance into the management program if i had chosen that route. Irving also provided great benefits along with great fellow employees.
Pros
Great advancement opportunity
Cons
Large workload
productive and fun place to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEMarch 29, 2017
a typical day would be when i showed up i would have to count the money to see if it was the right amount to start my day on. i learnd how to do paper work after i got done my shift. management was great to work for. the hardest part of my job was trying to get cars out quickly on certain days when we got busy. the most enjoyable part of it was the coustmers
Pros
bought my lunches
Cons
short breaks
Great company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Rutland VermontMarch 7, 2017
Irving is one of the best companys I have ever worked for. They empower there employees in a safety culture unlike any other I have ever seen. They truly care about the wellbeing of there employees.
Seasonal Position
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHMarch 1, 2017
Little training, high expectations. Manager favors certain employees. Nice work environment. Full time employees don't seem to care for the seasonal staff. Long hours-expected to work way over 40 hours some weeks.
Benefits
Cons
Productive and fast pased place with great food, very clean and neat
Krispy krunchy chicken (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTFebruary 24, 2017
I would say that Krispy Krunchy chicken provide fast and efficient service. The quality is great and it is very affordable. The people who work there are very friendly and care about the customers.
Pros
It gave me experience in custumer service
Cons
Great co- workers, thats about it
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Littleton, NHJanuary 6, 2017
I worked in Littleton for almost a year. I really enjoyed my co- workers and the way we were able to work together to get the job done. Too bad they sent our jobs to West Lebanon. At least we received decent severance.
Pros
Co-workers, immediate supervisor was great, some flexibility in work hours
Cons
Too top heavy, takes an act of Congress to get anything done because so many people are involved, they don't live their "People First" motto
awesome
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MADecember 28, 2016
Fun environment, good pay, management was understanding for the most part. was able to get along with other employees well. got to learn the basics of deli management and customer service.
Great staff
Cashier/ Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Gorham, MENovember 11, 2016
I enjoyed the people I worked with, as well as the customers. Upbeat and busy environment. It was an enjoyable workplace.
Busy
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Johnsbury, VTSeptember 12, 2016
I learned a lot here. I took classes to become a trainer to new employees.I was the assistant manager so I did the paperwork and scheduling,hiring and firing. There was a lot of training at this job
Pros
Great benefits and incentives
Cons
Mangerment
Customer Service
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Falmouth, MEJuly 25, 2016
Irving was a good change in pace for myself as I this was my first management position. I personally struggled with working with higher management but once you find your groove you're totally supported.
A day at Bell Ave
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hooksett, NHMay 18, 2016
Start the day by collecting the monies and counting deposits. Then I would get paperwork done in between having to help on register. After going to the bank I would do security counts on cigs and scratch tickets. Depending on what day we have certain orders come in that we have to put away or order. Once a month there would be an audit. During the rest of the day I would have co workers either stock coolers, clean pumps, sweep out side, etc. They stay very busy there. I leaned especially after taking over a bigger store that there are quite the responsibilities of the day to day operations of running a business. My co-workers have always for the most part gotten along with me quite well. I thought they were doing a great job and were always there when I needed them. I made it a point to make sure they new they were appreciated. The hardest part was having to let people go if they have been around for a long time. My most enjoyable part was the customers. I used to have this little girl come in every day and when she saw mw she would yell my name and run over to hug me. That just made my day.
Pros
Most of the customers/stoff were wonderful
Cons
Bad Neighborhood
Fast paced environment, good teams and tools to perform job
Pricing and Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHAugust 18, 2014
Irving is an energy products company selling fuel products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel and heating oil produced in its own refinery in St. John Canada.
Pros
good healthcare, fair benefits
Cons
Company based in Canada, job security is poor
Good Company to work for in that region
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 25, 2014
Management is good. Old-fashioned culture. Pay is OK.
Good and supportive to learn and grow for some areas, really depends on what manager you are reporting to.
Irving OIl Company / Circle K
Assistant Store Manager/Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Raymond, NHMay 20, 2014
I absolutely loved working for these companies. Most of my employment was solely with Irving Oil Corporation prior to the company merger with Circle K. Irving oil company really held onto the family fundamentals of an employer/employee relationship. My district manager was amazing. I started out working there as a third shift cashier, within 3 months time I was on second shift and holding a Shift Leader title. Within 6-8 months after that I became the store Assistant Manager and the bakery Manager. I loved every aspect of my job; the company I worked for, their mission statement, my employee's, and especially the customers. Our store was much like an extended family between the employee's and our customers. They knew us by name and we knew them by name.
Decent job overall...
Cashier/Maintenance/3rd shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTJanuary 6, 2014
Typical convenience store/gas station work. Good hours, alright pay for the job and not a lot of stressful work. Some days were worse than others, but customers typically aren't that bad.
gas station
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Whately, MAOctober 30, 2013
You work at a gas station. People hate you because of gas prices. Regular manager turnover created unease among employees. Real danger of being robbed.
Pros
Its a job that pays you. Free coffee.
Cons
You work at a gas station. Gas station coffee.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Irving Oil. Our community is ready to answer.