Island View Casino Resort Employee Reviews

shuttle driver
shuttle driver (Former Employee) –  gulfport msSeptember 19, 2015
I wouldnt recommend this place they put on a good show but its a joke

the management was a joke they had there a#$ kissers and everybody else was chop liver
Pros
edr free meals
Cons
everything else
Great facility, Great customers
FRONT SERVICES-VALET KEY CONTROL (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSSeptember 13, 2015
I have met many people all over the world. That is why I adore the job that I have now. It has opened my eyes to many different situations that I now know how to handle properly.
Pros
free health clinic
Cons
no raises, expensive healthcare
Fun and money
Surveillance Observer (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJune 24, 2015
A casino is like no other place and working in surveillance it was like being the CIA of the casino. learning all the casino games and how the operated
Very fast paced venue/always growing
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSMay 12, 2015
I started as a prep cook. I was promoted to line cook after 3 months probation. Island view does a great job by recognizing hard workers. Overall, It was a very great experience to work there. However, I would change the employee transit. Once you park in the garage, I believe that the employees are very dependent in the transit. I feel that this should be made more independent. Island view is very strict on there attendance policy. Therefore, you must be on time. The management is very outgoing. You have the opportunity to work with many diverse people at the casino resort. Most days may be challenging. However, I believe that conquering challenges make a better worker.
Pros
Free Employee Buffet, Promotions, PTO
Cons
No resort benefits
Great Workplace!!
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSNovember 2, 2014
Always great working there! Made new friends. Great co-workers, management always on their job!
The gaming industry is hilarious
Hotel Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJanuary 14, 2014
It was a lot of fun interacting with guest in the casino. I learn that when I gamble, never to take all of my monies their.
Good company to work for .
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSOctober 5, 2013
This locally owed Casino was great place to work . The Hr team that I worked with was very dedicated to their jobs . I had the opportunity to meet many people in my community and help many people to find a job.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
not many opportunity for advance in my department.
Super Boring
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  SecurityJune 21, 2013
To me it is a very boring job. And that's what it is. A job. If you are looking for performance reviews and possible raises move on. I know guards who have worked there sense they opened and haven't seen one raise.
Pros
free meals, great health benefits, free clinic
Cons
boring, lowest pay for casino security, no raises ever, security advancement is non existent
It's a job, deal with diffrent people and situations everyday.
Security Officer/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJune 18, 2013
Best part of the job is assisting people, very rewarding. You always want to do things the right way here, if so, or not, it can be proven. You have to be diverse with your co-workers, and understand it's a job, not a picnic. This job is easy to me because of my attitude, management is management, and I do the job for eight hours, then I do what I do with my family.
Pros
we eat free every day, very good benefits.
Cons
weekend work.
ITS A FUN EXCITING PLACE TO BE.
Players Club Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSMay 26, 2013
IF I COULD GO BACK I WOULD, LOVE WORKING AT THE ISLAND VIEW. LAID BACK CASINO.
Pros
good benfits, free lunch
Cons
get 2- 30 min breaks!!
not for pastry or baking professionals
baker (Former Employee) –  GulfportMarch 30, 2013
The casino overall is very nice and a great property. When they advertise for pastry or bakers positions, that is a different story. This is not a place for anyone who is or desiring to become a pastry professional, or who may be one. They have little to no bake shop. And the baker position in the Steamer is, well......a joke. You get to work with a bunch of party crazy kids and do some really redundant and unnecessary work. They tell everyone that they make their rolls from scratch but in reality, buy frozen rolls(not proofed) and cut them in half. Then spend hours upon hours rolling them by hand to give the customer the impression that they are indeed scratch/hand made rolls. After spending 40% of your shift with rolls you spend the rest of your time plating desserts upon request by the unorganized wait staff. This involves cutting cakes and pies to order while plating each one for order. Hardly any work space, and the cakes the "banquet chef" makes or too tall and hard too keep from falling apart. All in an effort to try and wow the customer with size and not quality. You will get one break per shift and you will be basically thrown in the fire with little training and no help. Thankfully I had years of experience and the training factor was not an issue. I was offered only $11.00 an hour and I have almost fifteen years experience. Took job because I thought it would be worth it in the long run, not so. Kitchen is laid out poorly whereby you have to go here and go there to get what you need. When ice cream is ordered, you have to stop and walk to the walk in freezer and fight  more... the frozen lobsters in order to get the bucket, then scoop it and take it back to the walk in before it melts , all the while orders are still coming in and rolls may be in the oven. A lot of unnecessary effort for a multimillion dollar property. After the shift is over the cooks want you to have rolls for the next day ready....in which my reply was," when did I have time to do this???"
If you need a job and don't mind being talked to like a redheaded stepchild by the nasty cooks then take this job otherwise seek employment elsewhere. They also are planning to open a candy shop and have this so called bake shop do the production for that. Not sure how that is going to work. They obviously don't know anything about making candy/confections. I sure it will be a lot of home kitchen stuff like fudge and divinity, just what you look far at a multimillion dollar resort. Would rate lower with stars above but site would not let me post any lower marks.
Pros
benefits after 90 days.
Cons
read statement.
Great Place to work
Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSMarch 7, 2013
Island View is a great place to work. The people there are very nice.
Pros
free meals, regular breaks
Absolutely Amazing Place
Floor Attendant (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSNovember 19, 2012
My typical day at Island View began with going to work around 8pm and working until 5 or 6am. During this time I would pay jackpot winners, help guests around the casino, and fix slot machine jams and paper outages.

I can honestly say it was the greatest job I've ever had. It was fun, it was somewhat fast paced, and there were great people to work with and talk to all night. The pay was excellent, sometimes reaching $40 an hour with tips, we ate free every meal, great benefits and unlimited chances for advancement.

I only left this job because my wife at the time was military and we moved or I would still be there today. I can honestly say I have nothing bad to say about this place from the friendly staff to the amazing atmosphere, there was nothing I can do but praise it.
Pros
free meals, great pay, amazing people, fun atmosphere, fun job
Cons
smoke in the casino
great work environment
Valet runner (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSSeptember 6, 2012
working valet was never a dull moment. for a casino there was always something to do.
Overall a good company to work for,good benefits, and some great F&B stafff
Sous Chef/Assistant Room Chef (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSAugust 21, 2012
A good casino to work for when coming up in the casino industry. The F&B department is one of the best. Island View has some of the best restaurants on the coast. I have grown with the company in management. The hardest part of the job is keeping pace with all the changes of the casino. The best part is working with the staff I have in the outlet I manage.
Pros
don't have to pay for the edr meals