Islands Restaurants Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Host/ETO (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CANovember 18, 2017
I liked working at Islands but they were taking there time to move me up as a server, when I'm already serving at the Cheesecake Factory. I'm looking for a second serving job.
Pros
discounts on meals when working
Cons
nothing bad to say
Fun work environment
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 8, 2017
I worked for Islands for many years, and I thoroughly enjoyed most of them. It was a very high volume restaurant, so business was always good. Made a lot of friends with my coworkers, and the customers made it very enjoyable as well.
Productive and fun place to work.
Server/Expo/Host (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 7, 2017
Fast paced and quick thinking job. A lot of fun with co workers and creating a family away from home. Always a great experience walking in and walking out.
Pros
Discount meals.
Cons
Short breaks.
Good not great
Lead Server, Bartender, and Training (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CANovember 3, 2017
The people here are better than most. The pay is good for someone without an advanced education and there's always room to move up. Management can be fantastic or unbearable depending on your store and shift manager. Scheduling is flexible and there aren't any days with long hours.
Great experience
Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 25, 2017
Great place to start off when you are young and willing to learn great customer service skills. The ends and outs of a businees. How they run from top to bottom.
Great starting point
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 19, 2017
Islands had high turnover because its pay for management was lower then other chains but it was not as stressful as working from some of the big boys in the game. They treat there people well enough but retail in general is getting pretty difficult with all the money shifting to the top and all the work shifting to the bottom.
Pros
Good first time management job
Cons
Not a great long term company
Fun place to work
SERVER/TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAOctober 18, 2017
It is a laidback but fast-paced environment. There is always something to do. Keeping a good attitude is a must! I learned a lot about remaining calm in high pressure situations, being responsible for myself, and not being afraid to ask questions.
Pros
Discounts, family environment
Cons
No benefits
Fun Workplace
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAOctober 16, 2017
The environment was enjoyable for the most part but some managers made me want to quit. And there were basically no breaks which made standing on my feet insufferable for hours on end.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
No breaks
Fun, guest-focused, positive environment.
Key Manager, Lead Bartender, Trainer, Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 9, 2017
Islands Restaurant's goal as a growing company is to always create experiences that bring guests back. I have always been provided with a positive, fun, and a learning-focused environment. As lead trainer, I am tasked with challenging management style duties and provided with opportunities to develop leadership and team building skills.
Pros
Building lifelong guest connections, skills I can utilize in future careers, competitive pay based on performance
Cons
No benefits, only part-time, income varies with tips.
Very Stressful
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Seal Beach, CAOctober 7, 2017
Work was very stressful during the rush, especially when you need to take a break and there was no one to cover you, the workload piles up and everyone is busy doing there own task. Sometimes you have to work during your break in order to catch up. Management was understanding, if they know you, other managers will give you a hard time and do not understand nor consider employee needs. Great food, get one free food meal during lunch which probably was the highlight of my shift. To be in the dishwashing station, and having to prep for the bar, pay was not enough, doing work that does not fit the job title or description.

Want to know more about Islands Restaurants?

Ask a question
Productive environment
Bartender (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2017
Worked at Islands for awhile and liked it. There are draw backs but that comes with any job. It's a pretty relaxed job if you know what you're doing and go about things right. I didn't particularly like the fact that comps on food that had been eaten already or any matter really were so easy for customers to attain. Felt like it took away from my service as they just want to please anyone without confrontation ( which is understandable). Every store is different.
Islands is a fun but low salary job.
Lead Busser/Server (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CASeptember 25, 2017
Islands was a fun environment and a great place to meet new people and improve communication skills.The annual salary was low due to it only providing part time positions.It was a great learning experience while attending college.
casual island approach to management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 17, 2017
Very clean and structured management model. Good culture and training within this organization. Unfortunately the growth model is lacking and tends to lead to a dead end job.
Pros
Casual environment
Cons
No growth
Easygoing place to work and coworkers are friendly
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 13, 2017
Each day you meet new people and sometimes you will have regulars. The tips you make from either one are very good. The pay itself is understandable considering I am a waiter and waiters rely on tips. The managers are very kind and like to make small talk with their employees. So the environment is very comfortable and friendly.
Pros
Free food as well as friendly environment
Cons
Hours and pay
Islands was fun and flexible
Server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 7, 2017
I worked part-time at Islands for about 1-1/2 years. In that time, I was able to make friends, was compensated more than fairly and had flexibility in my schedule.
theres a lot to be learned
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 1, 2017
As a dishwasher I cleaned a majority of the restaurant and prepared a little bit food. the management provided great feedback to help me improve. the hardest part of the job is dealing with hundreds of dishes and staying on task
Pros
free meal with boh work
Cons
stressful
Productive and able to play your music on the job
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAAugust 29, 2017
Respect the work environment, co-workers are friendly and helpful. A lot of responsibility. Must be quick and organized. Respect the management for what they do.
Pros
free meals while working and 50% discount when not working.
love islands
Server/Busser (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 18, 2017
Islands was a great job loved the people when i was there. the food was amazing and guest were nice. you did end up with a younger demographic but other then that it was great.
Terrible management, the place was fubar
EXPO (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAAugust 16, 2017
Title says it all. Went through lots of managers while I was there, employes wouldn't show up to work, kitchen staff was deplorable. servers were lazy, to the point of not being willing to run their own food to their table.
fun workplace
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 15, 2017
it was ok job. nothing special or great. best thing about it was my co workers their. solid people. another thing was free meal if you worked back of the house.
Pros
free lunch for people in the kitchen or dish washer pit
Cons
no benefits. too much politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Islands Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.