Islands Restaurants Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced and love my coworkers
Host & Take-Out Server (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAMarch 11, 2016
Working in a restaurant is fast paced work but everyone works together well so it stands to be very productive. Everyone is super supportive which makes it very enjoyable.
Pros
50% off food, coworkers
Cons
pay
Great Team
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 1, 2016
The store was always busy it took me a long time to be moved from a fry cook into a server although i had learned ll the foods there was a lot of hard days but i always had a smile on the management was horrible at times and rude .
Pros
Free lunch and great team
Cons
No 10 min breaks at all
Fast-paced, busy
Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 1, 2016
Islands is a fun work place, but once it gets busy its go go go. The management team is pretty good and there is job security, but not much room for growth.
productive
Bus Boy/Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 24, 2016
Very hard labor theirs alot to learn and hard manual labor their is team work at time most of the times is independent work.
Pros
30 min lunches
Cons
short brakes
Champagne French Bakery and Cafe
Champagne French Bakery and Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Islands acquire Champagne French Bakery and Cafe. Champagne was struggling very long period of time with poor management. poor employee relations and finances.
If a burger chain acquire a so called French Cafe and Bakery you can guess what happens.
I dont recommend Champagne to any one. I worked there for 4 years. No reviews and pay raises, no vacations, no sick time.
Upper level managers including General managers, Director of operations, Food and Beverage Directors, VPs and the rest of the company really really dont know what they are doing.
Pros
Free day old pastries.
Cons
Terrible working conditions. No breaks, no pay raises, Very unprofessional management team. Every body is running like a chicken with no heads...
Horrible
investment (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 11, 2016
Asked to do illegal things.

Islands isn't that good.

Do not apply for Champagne Bakery.

Place is not good either.

I warned you
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Fast paced and fun work environment
Bartender/ Server (Current Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAOctober 29, 2015
Fun place to work with great staff and management. Extremely encouraging work place environment where everyone wants to see each other succeed. A lot of younger kids make up the staff so theres never a dull moment!
Pros
50% off food
Cons
not many breaks
You must fit in with the Islands Culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAOctober 7, 2015
Good company if you fit in with the "Islands Culture". Set schedules for management. All about hitting the numbers and following procedures set in place for your position.
Pros
set schedule, free food
Cons
management styles vary greatly from store to store
Poor Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Encinitas, CASeptember 23, 2015
I'm not a fan of their management style because the GM has his favorite employees who take advantage of him and are able to get away with anything (including coming to work drunk, getting caught but not fired) while the employees who actually follow the rules and try their best to work hard enough to deserve better shifts walk away with nothing but disappointment.
Great Stepping stone to advance my career.
Lead Bartender/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 27, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Islands, I feel that I gave the company 100% of my effort and I am ready to join a different workforce to advance my knowedge and help out in the best way possible in any future position that I may hold.

Want to know more about Islands Restaurants?

Ask a question
A well established restaurant company
Restaurant Manager - (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAJanuary 15, 2015
I learned so much here, by far the concept of OCP - Observe Coach Praise - one minute manager type of management.

The hardest part of this position was maintaining the standards of the southern California locations that were much more established locations.
Pros
culture
Cons
no advancement
Fast-Paced and Friendly Environment
FOH Team Member (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaDecember 18, 2014
Islands is a team oriented company that cares a lot about its guests, but more importantly about its employees.
Operational Culture
Director of Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 18, 2014
Great Company, Great Culture. Operationally focused with the passion to provide the best experience for the guest.
Pros
focused on guest service and operational efficiency
Cons
motivated technologically to enhance the guest experience
Fun place to work, great atmosphere
Line Cook/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 5, 2014
I loved my job at Islands. It only ended because I decided to move to Washington, but if I hadn't decided that I would've gone far in that company. They treat you like family, work with your schedule, and worked as a team. There was good communication between BoH and FoH, management always tried their best, and they liked seeing employees move up positions. I learned a lot in time management here, and if it weren't for this company, I wouldn't be the confident cook I am today. I'm not afraid to take charge because of them, and I learned how to really be a team player and work well with others.
Pros
free meal for boh once a day, everyone was friendly, decent raises
Cons
no paid time off, no vacation time, not enough hours
Restaurant/Customer Service experience
Restaurant Hostess (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAFebruary 10, 2014
My work day consisted of greeting customers, cleaning tables, and stocking the ice machines. The work environment was fast-paced and dealt with a lot of multi-tasking. The hardest part of the job was that there were a lot of interactions between some co-workers that I personally deemed unprofessional, but then again, a lot of my co-workers were quite young. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction I had with customers!
Fun work atmosphere
Hostess / Electronic Take-out Server (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 21, 2013
I enjoyed working at Islands because of the staff and culture of the restaurant. It is a fast paced environment, and you can advance quickly if you are a hard worker such as myself. There is no job security, however. Minimum wage job, plus tips as you advance.
Pros
half priced food, fun staff, fun environment
Cons
stressful, fatty foods
Great place to work.
Bartender / Service Trainer (Current Employee) –  Vista, CANovember 13, 2013
It is a fast paced environment. You have to come into work prepared for anything. No day is really the same, you deal with different people everyday and you have to be able to work well with all types of customers and co-workers. We have a great management staff and the company as a whole is trained very thoroughly. I love my regulars, they make my shifts go by quickly and bring some fun and excitement to my day. The hardest part is the inconsistency. You never know what each day will bring.
Upbeat, casual dining experience
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2013
casual-themed restaurant
American & Mexican food
set schedule
General Manager received weekends off
Good company to work for
Payroll Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAAugust 1, 2013
Learned how to implement a restaurant POS system at Islands.
Fun workplace environment
Hostess, Expediter, Take-Out, Server (Former Employee) –  Paradise Valley, AZMay 28, 2013
I learned a lot about customer service and the restaurant industry. It is a great corporation!