IU Health Employee Reviews in United States

emerging leader in healthcare, believes in education and giving patients the best care.
certified dietary manager (Current Employee) –  bedford in, Paoli inAugust 28, 2015
i have worked 12 hour shifts but currently work 8 hour days. I have multi tasking skills( a must) . each day brings with it its own needs to be done as well as the everyday things. For an example; monday is the day I build menu for the following week for our employees. Patient meals are rotated on a 7 day cycle. I inventory and place my order for the week. chart out production sheet for each area in kitchen. wednesdays are freight days, thursdays usually bring a few caterings, fridays are bill pay day. each and every day patient care , assessments, are done as a priority. I love my work. It has been challenging this past year especially. The most difficult has been trying to bring others out of the what we use to do mode and to get them to see that change can be a progression of something that benefits them. I also enjoy the interaction with patients
Great Place to work
Physician Network (Current Employee) –  Zionsville, INSeptember 25, 2015
IU is a great place to work but the compensation is not rewarding.
I've been with this company for 3+ years and enjoy the people I work with and enjoy the patient interaction. I'm just looking to expand my experience.
Oppressive environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisAugust 28, 2015
While I would expect the usual issues related to large healthcare organization, this seemed particularly problematic. The communication seemed very poor between various levels of management. They also do not show loyalty or interest in keeping employees from going else-where. Specifically, the wages are not competitive and their idea of employee appreciation is lunch once in awhile, which as a nurse one does not have time to participate anyway. Not to mention, they will policy employees to death in terms of HR/benefits to make sure one is not appropriately rewarded for their efforts. For example, PTO accrual is lost if one has not been there a full year. But they don't let you use the PTO when you are working there anyway because of poor staffing. So, it is a nice system they have going for themselves.

The morale was quite low where I worked because the staffing was terrible and they refused to let us hire what was needed as far as RNs, despite the fact that we had lost several nurses over my time there. I know this is likely a problem in lots of places but I was able to see first-hand how it directly affects patient care.

My co-workers, however, were quite good and really care about doing a good job, helping others learn, and going above and beyond what is asked of them. I wish this organization could appreciate them like I do.
Pros
overall skill and attitude of coworkers
Cons
heavy-handed upper management, poor staffing levels, punishment-oriented rather than reward-oriented, not competetive wages
IU Health Review Summary
Project Manager/Senior Business Analysis (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2016
Indiana University Health is unlike other healthcare organizations. As one of the nation’s most highly regarded systems, we hold higher expectations for the people who work here. That is why we have created a collaborative environment that enables every team member to do their best work. No matter the role, those who have the strength, passion and commitment will find a challenging experience.
dependable
Patient care services (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 15, 2016
I like working with IU health, I would love to keep learning and increase my education with this organization. I would like to get closer to my home, for when my team needs me to come into work. I would be closer and more available to help with staff shortage.
Pros
staff team worthy
Cons
when needed. not close to work.
Not so bad
OR Business Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 27, 2016
Clock in, open registration area--turn on lights, check new schedule, general prep. Register patients, and the process that coincides with it. Wrap it up, clock out. Little advancement unless you want to be a doctor.
Methodist
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 23, 2016
I like to have the opportunity to work on my own with little or no supervision, use my experience to implement nursing judgement.
Pros
I currently do not work weekends, holidays, and have no on-call.
Cons
Little recognition for a job well done, poor unit management
Great learning environment
Liver Oncology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 11, 2016
Organization is committed to cultivating a learning environment. I've met some amazing people. During the first day of orientation the staff went above and beyond to make all of us feel welcome to such a large organization.
Challenging department to work for as IUSCC is a tertiary center. We treat many people with difficult disease profiles and refractory disease.
Nurse Coordinator for the Multiple Myeloma Program (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 14, 2015
I started my 20 year Oncology nursing career at IU and learned how to provide competent and compassionate care in a multidisciplinary setting. I love working at IUSCC as I am challenged every day to provide excellent care to our patients. I work with peers who are compassionate and extremely knowledgeable in cancer care. They motivate me to be my best! The management provides support despite the competitive financial constraints of the industry.
Disappointed with entire work experience
PATIENT SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Registration Dept.April 22, 2015
Busy all day. Large volume of work to complete.
Medical Terminology
Poor
Good
No benefits as PRN - No opportunity for position to be a permanent position
A co-worker that was supportive and helpful.
Pros
Medical Terminology course
Cons
Worked full time but position was not approved to be permanent
Insurance biller
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INApril 23, 2016
I worked all insurances, Medicare, Medicaid, HIP, Tricare and commercial insurances. I investigated, billed and followed up on all insurance accounts. Corrected or appealed accounts with insurance companies.
Prior Authorization's specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 21, 2016
Calm work environment

Supportive staff and a wonderful management team

I enjoy the laid back environment and flexibility of my work schedule
IU Health
RT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 2, 2016
CEOs out of touch with entire hospital system. Telling employees to do more with less while giving themselves a pay raise is a hard pill to swallow and does not make it easy to trust them.
Over all IU Health is a great place but I think they need to treat they employee a little better make them feel like that appricate us
CRCST (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2015
A typical day starts out Riley Hospital going to the towers checking 54 rooms all together cleaning all the equipment making sure he RT has vents, beds to work with...stocking supplies so the RT can have to work with....at bout 10am I'm floating over to IU Hospital cleaning they vents...stocking they floors with vents and boxes so they can do they daily job....after cleaning taking care of IU back to Riley to do a another round and go to lunch and lets not forge if Methodist we have to rider the train and help them out to....My job is busy...I'm just looking to add some more under my belt...
Pros
We get our breaks...we on our feet all day....
Cons
I think we not getting paid for all that we do
productive - very stressful, no fun at all
Wellness Screener/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 3, 2015
not enough people to do the job, benefits too high to pay. no fairness, no job advancements. the hours were okay, long and boring. coworkers were nice and respectful. I like my manager, very professional
Pros
payroll deduction
Cons
over work
Senior Payment Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 28, 2016
Great place to work and my co-workers are easy to get a long with. Parking is easy and we have security. I feel safe at my work place.
Pros
We have townhall meetings
Cons
The soda machines no longer offer regular soda
Decent Workplace
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Hartford City, INApril 18, 2016
Plenty of opportunity to learn more at work and to develop your skills with patient care. Sometimes difficult to make time for home life.
Great people to work with that lacks good leadership
Help Desk Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  IndianpolisJanuary 28, 2014
A typical day at IU Health is very hectic due to the volume of applications and employees that we support but we do have the resources provided to get the job done.

I have learned a great deal of information about Office, specifically Outlook, Cisco VPN settings, Citrix client setups with Wyse and Thin Client machines and how to effectively use Active Directory.

The hardest part of the job is having to take on an extra work load due to some of my co worker being incompetent or lazy but it's rewarding that know that when the customers work with me they are getting the best of the help desk as to offer and getting thank you and praise from patients, nurses, and doctors is rewarding that you are helping someone feel better in a stressful time.
Pros
great chance for learning and expanding knowledge
Cons
managment is lacking and organization can be chaotic at times.
Corrupt, Unethical, and lack of focus
Systems Analyst Revenue Cycle (Former Employee) –  North Shadeland AvenueApril 25, 2014
IU Health has a complete lack of moral and ethical values. They operate on a need to know basis with very little knowledge of where things are coming from, going, or what is happening. No job security, and you constantly work in fear of what they will or could do to you next. The corporate culture, and culture in general, is very immature. In such a presence of profound immaturity things you would never believe happen. Inevitably someone you have never even heard of will attempt to stab you in the back for no reason whatsoever.
benefits
Cons
unethical and immature bosses.
typical day at work
assistant on cash posting team (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 1, 2015
typically my day would begin with copying , mail processing, processing credit card payments, and other payment forms. then I would send over due accounts to credit agencies and start apply needed changes to the client accounts

open work environment willing to help when needed and open to new ideas and processes to help ease the processes
Pros
relaxed work environment
Cons
hard to gain full employment