Ivy Tech Community College Employee Reviews

A good way to gain experience.
Adjunct Faculty Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 11, 2017
The students and staff at Ivy Tech are great people striving to make Ivy Tech and the community a better place. Since this institution is a community college, the compensation is not wonderful.
Relaxed and slow paced
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INDecember 10, 2017
When you get there you can start working on your hall or restrooms. Also if you get your work done on time you can sit down and relax. Or if you want to continue working you can help your co workers or pick up another assignment. I loved working here.
Minimum wage and part time
Student Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Marion, INDecember 9, 2017
Ivy Tech relies on a lot of part time employees and minimum wage. They are not in a hurry to hire help when needed. There are too many agendas going on and right now Ivy Tech is hurting for money.
Adjunct
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INDecember 4, 2017
I am Adjunct which is contract. I work away from the campus with the exception of the time I spend conducting classroom duties. I only interact when required to meet standards. I work independently and each semester is different.
Ok place to work
PT Supt Facilities Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 30, 2017
I have been a working student for the past 3 years and they have given me the ability to have the balance I need to do both. They also have allowed me to gain the experience need to grow my resume.
Lack of recognition for hard work.
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  IndianaNovember 29, 2017
I was forced to do my team leader's job and my job for less money. People get promoted for doing nothing. Hard workers are not recognized. There is no reward for working hard to provide a good service. Bosses don't want to lose hard workers, but also don't want to pay them. Supervisors will discuss career goals and opportunities with lazy workers, but seem bent on leaving a hard worker stuck in a role.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
hard work is not recognized, laziness is encouraged and rewarded, hard workers are stuck at entry level
Great people
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 28, 2017
Many great people work at Ivy Tech. Management not so great. Enrollment on decline. Reduction in workforce implemented. Wonderful benefits and good pay.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
unstable work environment
Nice place to work
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Madison, INNovember 27, 2017
Nice place to work, great benefits, good management. Autonomy in teaching for the most part. Some administrative "extras" can be cumbersome and take away from focus on students.
Good for retirees.
Professor of Sociology (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 24, 2017
It is a good place to work for retirees. It is small so there is not much room for advancement. If money or advancement is not an issue, it is delightful. People are friendly, efficient, and students are good people.
Pros
Friendly people.
No place for advancement
Student Records Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 24, 2017
If you have been there more than five years, there is no advancement opportunities. Nothing but politics due to politicians in charge of the college.
Loved it!!
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INNovember 20, 2017
When you left the office, work did not follow you home. The workplace culture is very inclusive. I learned a multitude of things, most of all I should not have left!
Dead End
Student Affairs (Current Employee) –  AnonymousNovember 14, 2017
Unless you play the game or are well connected, you will be stuck at entry level. This place hires external candidates and promotes extremely unqualified people (no degrees, or "degrees" from diploma mills, ironic given that this is higher ed!) while the rest of us work our tails off and get no recognition. Getting passed over for promotion for someone who has no experience and then that person asks ME how to do the job is insulting. They keep saying they care about employee retention, but that's BS. Pay us adequately and give us opportunity to grow our careers and show you appreciate us and you'll stop seeing a revolving door.
Pros
vacation, benefits
Cons
pay, lack of advancement, unqualified people get promoted
Ivy Tech
Staff (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 14, 2017
Learn more on how the college is run, what all goes into a job fair,I learn to help students find jobs and work on resumes. I put packets together, make copies, post jobs on a job board, and make flyers.
Pros
Works well with Class
Cons
not much pay
Most employees were wonderful relaxed and fun management not so much
Financial Aid Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 11, 2017
Ivy Tech fun and had some great people in line staff. Not sure now as I have moved on. Overall not a bad place to work. Enjoyed working with studenta more than anything.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Some Management staff should be more professional
It was just a work study program while i was at school.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Gary, INNovember 6, 2017
I participated in this work study program while i was in school. It was very interesting to be able to work as the project manager and help design an intelitek system that was going to be used to teach students of industrial technology.
Learning how tough health science is.
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INOctober 31, 2017
The typical day was filing and scanning test for instructors. I learned from listening to students when they came into the office explaining the challenges they were having with the classes they had to take as required for their degree.
Pros
New respect for Health Science department
Note Taker
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 28, 2017
My job was just to take notes for another student. I was able to pick what classes, day & time I was available. Being a student myself, the flexibility was very important. Pay was not that great but it was fine to get me by. I only did this for one semester because then I had internships to do. I noticed that Ivy Tech offered a lot of student services to support most needs.
A typical job
Student (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 27, 2017
You have the option to be requested by a student to take notes. They also have other participants outside of your classes. I was able to work and attend classes at the same time.
Pros
Going to class and still getting paid.
Cons
You couldn't be too sick to take notes
Overworked, underpaid
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 26, 2017
A good place to pick up some pocket money. When I once complained about the rate of pay I was informed that most people who teach there think of it as "service."
Summary
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 23, 2017
I can say the college has grown in the last few years and the culture of the student body has grown in a positive trend! I love our students and the students are what make my job the best place in the world to be!
Pros
Student Government
Cons
Leadership is broken

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ivy Tech Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2