Ivy Tech Community College

Ivy Tech Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Held many different project management positions within the college and learned a great deal about higher education at all administrative levels.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 11, 2016
I held several positions at Ivy Tech, all project management and administrative roles. Learend a great deal about the inner workings of higher education from multiple perspectives. I managed a group of sales people who sold corporate training/workforce re-entry training in this particular position. Hardest part was raising awareness to the fact that this arm of the college existed. Most enjoyable was helping laid off individuals find work through our training programs.
Pros
Mission of department-train individuals in an effort to gain employment and better themselves
Cons
23 direct reports-hard to manage to the degree that I would have liked
Fun place to work
MANAGER CERTIFICATION CENTER (Former Employee) –  1815 Morgan, Kokomo, IN 46901January 14, 2016
A typical day at work, I make sure to be ready and out the door so I can get to work at least 30 minutes before start time. That way if there are delays such as traffic, I’m still on time for any meetings or important tasks. I have learned how to maintain a friendly atmosphere for co-workers, students and staff. Management was great (supportive)! My co-workers were committed, loyal, friendly and professional. The hardest part of the job, having to leave, but they had to downsize so a lot of key people were released. I enjoyed working with the students, staff and teachers.
Pros
Cons
Student's attitudes
Excellent place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 13, 2016
I enjoy the robust class discussions that I have with my students. Most of the students are rich with experiences related to class discussions and they are always very enthusiastic to share those experiences with class. Colleagues are always very helpful. We exchange pleasantries and engage in useful conversation. Generally, Ivytech is a good place to work with warm environment conducive to teaching and learning. Departmental Chairs are always available to answer questions. Security officers are always visible through out the campus.

Teaching supplies are always available!
Pros
Excellent staff and students
Cons
I am presently an adjunct professor, I will like to have a full faculty job with the institution
good place to work, relaxed atmosphere
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, INJanuary 10, 2016
a typical day is unlocking doors for students and employees, making name badges and assisting students and teachers to help find their respective classrooms. I maintain security cameras in parking lots and within the campus. I get to meet a variety of people and enjoy my current position.
Pros
furnished uniforms, competitive wage
Cons
being part-time with no health insurance coverage for myself & spouse
Free to be creative in teaching style
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 24, 2016
I would recommend Ivy Tech if you are happy with Adjunct teaching and not expecting to teach in a full-time position. The best advantage is freedom to design your own curriculum and creativity in teaching style. The cons are that they do depend strongly on adjuncts and if your classes do not fill, you will not be teaching or be paid for that semester.
Productive office experience
Accounting Student (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 10, 2016
The tax office is extremely busy and fast paced. I have learned stronger office skills, customer service, and difficult tax returns. The curriculum adviser/manager trained the office student workers strong skills and operates the office efficiently. I have met a few student/co-workers and we have all become study buddies/friends. The job is not hard in any way, I enjoy the fast pace, customers, and job requirements.
Pros
fits into my school schedule
Cons
the office closes April 9
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gary, INMay 10, 2016
Ivy Tech is a great place to work. I learned about the functions of the library. The director was a wonderful woman and her assistant was the kindness man I have ever met, the co workers were like a family and the hardest part of the job was dealing with uncooperative students. I enjoyed working with people and I looked forward to seeing them each day.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No room for advancement
Professional Environment
ADMINISTRATIVE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 25, 2015
This job was a professional environment that provided experience growth and development. Great customer service qualities provided with growth and development opportunities. This is what is expected from a developing, growing corporation. The most enjoyable part of this job is learning from my colleagues. As the company continues to grow more and more the work and projects become more challenging but exciting just to be able to help other peole in their time of need.
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Excellent
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 7, 2016
Ivy Tech always makes sure I have time to do my school work and also have time to work. I love the supportive atmosphere and caring supervisors and co-workers make balancing work and school fun and easy.
Pros
Great atmosphere, lax work schedule and good supervisors
Cons
Sometimes unorganized and not enough full-time staff.
Bloomingfoods in campus was a plus
Student Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 2, 2016
It was a fun workplace, but horrible for part time workers. No lunch breaks for 8 hour shifts, and no benefits. Management was seriously lacking in staff support. The pay was not great.
Pros
Beautiful campus, very pro student
Cons
No lunch breaks, no real leadership from supervisors
Nice and quiet
Library Aide (Current Employee) –  Gary, INApril 18, 2016
Approachable staff and overall design of facilities provides great ease of use as well as a family friendly aura. Co-workers are great and the most enjoyable part of the job was performing hands-on tasks that required organizing information or materials.
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
Air conditioning was malfunctioned which made the library cold in winter
Fast pace company
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJune 23, 2016
co-workers are wonderful, boss great, my most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help people students and the faculty in my own department. My boss is not located on my campus so I have learned to be a self starter and motivator.
Pros
Friendly place to work
Cons
Raises are few and far between
Fun place to work that cares about it students and employees.
Assistant Head Coach (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 11, 2016
Being a basketball coach for the program meant that I was only there for practices and games. It has been a great opportunity to grow in my career.
I enjoyed working at the college I attended and gave me ample experience for what I was attending school for.
Lab assistant for HVAC department (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJuly 9, 2016
I was a full time student that worked part time in the facility but was given opportunity to have internship with local HVAC company with great pay and experience.
Classroom preparation, student advisory
Nursing Educator (Former Employee) –  Muncie IndianaDecember 7, 2015
Review email's, answer student inquiries, prepare for classroom lecture and participation. Time management of day and activities. Monthly faculty meetings. Continuing education and Professional Development activites. Assist other faculty as needed. Good experience.
Great atmosphere to work in
College Registration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 28, 2015
I love working at Ivy tech! a typical day consist of helping students who have trouble with resgistration, enrolling in their classes and those who have financial aid issues. The manage is awesome they make sure that each assistant on the floor is knowledgeable of the things necessary to help students. My co-workers are everything, we work as a team in stations to keep the traffic controlled and to make sure that each person has a manageable amount of students at once at each others station. The most enjoyable part of my day is seeing students walk out of our office happier than they came in.
Love Ivy Tech
HOSPITALITY INSTRUCTOR - Ivy Tech NWI Campuses (Current Employee) –  Gary, INJanuary 18, 2016
I love working for Ivy Tech. The direct management and various college Presidents are very helpful and willing to listen!
.lots of new things to learn.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 17, 2016
getting information from management on day events and things to look out for during shift. most enjoyable things about the job is getting to know future students.
Pros
free lunches.lots of time off.great benefits
Cons
cant leave on breaks and lunches.no first shift openings
Enjoy working with students
Assistant Professor School of Nursing (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 1, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with students. Watching each student understand the process of nursing and when the light bulb goes off per say, is the greatest reward of teaching. Teaching can be very challenging at times, due to each individual learns different ways. My job is to ensure that each student understands the materials being covered, so they can be successful in their nursing endeavors.
All other faculty have a cohesive work ethic, we all are a team and we all give feedback to each other and are always supportive of each others endeavors.
Ivy Tech community college is supportive of their employees. Benefits are excellent.
Ivy Tech Community College South Bend
Department Chair (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 10, 2016
Department Chair Paramedic Science and Homeland Security Public Safety Programs for 3 campuses in the North Central Region of Indiana.
I coordinate and instruct all levels of EMS, Homeland Security and Public Safety programs

4.2