Ivy Tech Community College

Ivy Tech Community College Employee Reviews

Decent job to gain some teaching experience
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 15, 2017
So, I started working as an adjunct for few main reasons, one in particular was to gain experience in teaching field. So far, it has been a good experience. But the compensation is so bad that you don't feel like properly investing your time in teaching. Now, I understand why some teachers treat teaching like receiving a paycheck because you don't make decent amount to survive, let alone anything else.
Pros
Gain teaching experience, Get to teach students
Cons
Bad Compensation, No benefits
Excellent source for part-time work, no opportunity to get full-time.
Part-time Evening Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 9, 2017
Ivy Tech strives to be fair and equitable to all students. However, they don't consider part-time people very often for the few positions available full-time. It seems they use the part-time slots to fill out all the positions and hire full-time for student-centric jobs of advising and scheduling and promoting graduation rates.
Great Place to Work
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 2, 2017
I love working here. I enjoy working with students to help them succeed and go out into the workforce and be successful. The amount of vacation days you accrue each year is great.
Pros
Pay, time off, and the culture
Cons
Helping to get my degree and certifications
Student (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJanuary 30, 2017
Ivy tech made it easy to obtain my Asscoiate Degree and Certificate in Addiction studies. The class schedules worked well with my everyday life.
Pros
Getting Degree
Cons
Student Loans
It was a good place for education.
Attending College at Ivy Tech Community College (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 29, 2017
I looked forward to going to my job each day. I know many people dread going to work. It was an adventure for me to arrive on the job to find out challenges I would face. I typically worked with people in the business units. I collaborated with them to create programming results to fit their needs. There were times when I faced production problems. I met those challenges head on. I was always able to solve them. I regard each new challenge as opportunities to grow. I like to learn new technologies.
Pros
I always enjoyed good work spaces, and the technical tools to get my job done.
Cons
At times there were tense moments with people. However, patience was my copilot. I have always been able improve my soft skills.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INJanuary 19, 2017
Excellent support system. They value their adjuncts and keep them working. The pay is low, but on par with other adjunct jobs. They do a good job of promoting from within to full professor status, which is fantastic.
Director is out of date with current RRT
Student (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 17, 2017
Did not care for the director of the RRT program. She is very unapproachable. She is more driven by her own title and credentials than teaching her students.
Pros
nice new learning facility
Cons
unfriendly learning environment
Loved my job
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2017
During the years I worked at Ivy Tech Community College, I got best reviews by chairs of the English Department and perfect feed backs for my teaching.
We, adjuncts had no benefits whatsoever.
Friendly Atmosphere with Attentive Coworkers
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Franklin, INJanuary 13, 2017
I love going into work. There is always a very friendly and energetic atmosphere. There is no real hard part of this job apart from finding people that need my assistance.
Inconsistant management and job sucurity
Registrar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, IN 47404January 9, 2017
8 hour work days dealing directly with students. Learned new computer system with training provided. Good communication between departments.
Inconsistent management policies and favoritism displayed with upper management. Differences between local campus polices and Central office, too much local political influences involved in everyday working of campus.
College did offer free classes for employees and assisted with additional higher education cost to complete your degree.
Pros
Training, education asistance, compatible wages
Cons
Inconsistant management, lack of job sucurity, favoritism, politics
Affordable quality education
Full-Time student (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJanuary 8, 2017
Great school to further your education that is affordable and conducive to adult schedules with online and in classroom settings. Uses hands on training which is a big benefit.
Pros
Hands on Training
Cons
can only obtain ASN degrees
Great flexibility, but administration is questionable
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 4, 2017
One of the best places to work when it comes to benefits and flexibility, but the pay scale is always less than people expect. We've also had layoffs within the past 10 years and there are many rumors creating bad morale in some areas. But employees can use the flexible nature of the job to take time off to recover :).
Pros
Flexibility, Health Care, Equal Opportunity Employer
Cons
Lack of Communication
Nice company with good benefits
Staff Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  KokomoDecember 31, 2016
Good company with good benefits. Co-workers were at each others back to try to get ahead. Management had been there a long time and many were threatened with someone with education.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long Hours.
Devoted employees who go above and beyond their scope of duties.
Student (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INDecember 25, 2016
My encounters with the staff, always led to a positive outcome. They are pleasant, and excellent problem solvers. They welcome questions, and are extremely patient.
Pros
Every opportunity was a learning experience.
Cons
Scheduling appointments. Receptionist, or assistants are still of great importance.
Ivy Tech
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 23, 2016
Here at the college you learn a lot while working here. The students will make you love your job more especially when they are really trying to get their education.
I am a student at Ivy Tech and work as an intern.
Student Records Assistant (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 19, 2016
My experience working as an intern for Ivy Tech for the past fifteen months has broadened my office skills; while providing a flexible work schedule to accommodate my class schedules. The training I received has been monumental.
Pros
flexible schedule, working independently, working at the same location I have classes
Cons
Not Applicable
Great work place for learning and entry level
INTERN/WORK STUDY (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 15, 2016
I've learned so many things from Ivy tech such as help desk, desktop support, troubleshooting, and ticketing. How to solve technology issues as hardware and software.
Low stress
Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, INDecember 9, 2016
Working at Ivy Tech is a relatively low-stress job provided you are focused and stay on task. Getting behind may lead to unneeded frustrations and unwelcome headaches.
Cons
Too many emails
Positive, upbeat environment
Instructor, English (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INDecember 7, 2016
A typical evening at work is hectic since I leave my full time teaching job and drive straight to my part time teaching job. I arrive in time to meet with students for additional assistance or to offer advice on their writing and grammar exercises.
Pros
Flexible schedule, for a part time job
Cons
Students' lack of commitment to college level work
Positive atmosphere
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 6, 2016
Great atmosphere to work and teach the next workforce. Enjoyed the feedback from the students. Able to help the students to excel with their dreams and aspirations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ivy Tech Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2