Ivy Tech Community College

Ivy Tech Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Great Place for Students
Tutor/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Gary, INApril 8, 2016
This place is a great environment for busy workers. I am currently a student and the tutoring center works wonderfully around my schedule because they completely understand. You are able to express and work with subjects and people you really enjoy. I love it here.
I love working at the front desk
Work Study School of Nursing & Health Sciences (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 6, 2016
I love working at the front desk. I get to greet and chat with every student/customer that comes in. My co-workers are great and I have learned so much as I continue my education.
Fun and educational working in welding lab.
Welding Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 5, 2016
I learn how to use several different machines, while working.I also enjoy learning the different types of meta ,steel,cast iron and aluminum while working.
I do like the flexible schedule, and good people to work with.
Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 28, 2016
It is about 10% teaching, and the rest is preparation, organization, completing surveys, completing participation activity, completing mid-term grades, completing final grades, doing evaluations, going to meetings (faculty, regional).
It has not been quite what I expected.
Teaching at a community college involves a variety of activities.
Program Chair, English and Communications (Current Employee) –  Gary and Crown Point IndianaMarch 25, 2016
I teach English and Communications at Ivy Tech Community College and am Program Chair for the English and Communications department. I work well with my colleagues and enjoy the work environment. My students seem to appreciate my clear communication skills and my attention to the details of work that help them succeed. My colleagues appreciate the encouragement I give them in various situations that can be difficult throughout each semester.

In addition to teaching, I am managing editor of our college's only academic journal, and I do quite a lot of creative and technical writing as well.

Teaching full-time, supervising, editing, and writing are activities that require a great deal of planning and creative execution of those plans. As a supervisor in my department I rely on my colleagues to creatively execute their teaching as well.

Probably the hardest part of my job is seeing a student give up, when I am well aware that the student is able to do the work. Usually students give up on themselves, and that's a bit hard to take. I want people to succeed!

What's most enjoyable is when the light bulb comes on in a student's head and they understand. That is delightful! I've seen many students succeed who at first thought they couldn't.
Pros
Wonderful discussion, interesting students and colleagues, never a dull moment!
Cons
Too much work and too little time! I'd work 24/7 if I had the strength!
Productive office experience
Accounting Student (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 10, 2016
The tax office is extremely busy and fast paced. I have learned stronger office skills, customer service, and difficult tax returns. The curriculum adviser/manager trained the office student workers strong skills and operates the office efficiently. I have met a few student/co-workers and we have all become study buddies/friends. The job is not hard in any way, I enjoy the fast pace, customers, and job requirements.
Pros
fits into my school schedule
Cons
the office closes April 9
Productive and fun work place with Great co-workers
Internship - Marketing Department (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 22, 2016
Working at Ivy Tech Community College was fun and i enjoyed it. The people that work at Ivy Tech are there for the students and to make sure that they get their education.
Request Tracker Helpdesk System
Computer Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INFebruary 15, 2016
Monitor Request Tracker and take care of any computer problems that have been requested. Map network drives in Active Directory. Import machines into SCCM via MAC address the image machines. Main part of what I do is to to update software for users using my administrator credentials and insure their machines are running smoothly.
Held many different project management positions within the college and learned a great deal about higher education at all administrative levels.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 11, 2016
I held several positions at Ivy Tech, all project management and administrative roles. Learend a great deal about the inner workings of higher education from multiple perspectives. I managed a group of sales people who sold corporate training/workforce re-entry training in this particular position. Hardest part was raising awareness to the fact that this arm of the college existed. Most enjoyable was helping laid off individuals find work through our training programs.
Pros
Mission of department-train individuals in an effort to gain employment and better themselves
Cons
23 direct reports-hard to manage to the degree that I would have liked
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 3, 2016
Great to work @ Ivy Tech Community College. I enjoyed assisting in online technologies and testing. I enjoyed administering student's test confidentially. I have expereince with evaluation documents and designing Excel table.
Cons
Assisgnment Ended
Great co-wrokers and students
Healthcare Sciences Instructor (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INFebruary 2, 2016
Have learned new applications to use computer and become much more computer savvy. New and usable technology to teach and grade homework. Structured courses but are tweaked to update and make it show your own style to teach. Hardest part was training went very erratic and little support to learn computer apps. Apps are how homework is graded and grades are posted. Love seeing students grasp new material.
Cons
If full time, breaks are rare.
Fun, Fast Pace
Certified Proctor (Former Employee) –  Sellersburg, INJanuary 28, 2016
Worked with many students.
Managed the scheduling.
Did all the training for employees
Proctored all test for the testing center
Excellent co workers
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 28, 2016
Co workers really cared about one another
Office job with no frills
Cube city
Heat and AC were appreciated
The vacation time made it worth it
fun workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 28, 2016
Had a good time assisting students. My manager was very caring and respectful to others. The hardest part of the job was working with books. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to help others.
Pros
helping others
Cons
no breaks
Not enthused
Student (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 25, 2016
Was not a fan of interactions I had with the main office. Did not feel like I was getting the most out of what I was paying for.
Love Ivy Tech
HOSPITALITY INSTRUCTOR - Ivy Tech NWI Campuses (Current Employee) –  Gary, INJanuary 18, 2016
I love working for Ivy Tech. The direct management and various college Presidents are very helpful and willing to listen!
Fun place to work
MANAGER CERTIFICATION CENTER (Former Employee) –  1815 Morgan, Kokomo, IN 46901January 14, 2016
A typical day at work, I make sure to be ready and out the door so I can get to work at least 30 minutes before start time. That way if there are delays such as traffic, I’m still on time for any meetings or important tasks. I have learned how to maintain a friendly atmosphere for co-workers, students and staff. Management was great (supportive)! My co-workers were committed, loyal, friendly and professional. The hardest part of the job, having to leave, but they had to downsize so a lot of key people were released. I enjoyed working with the students, staff and teachers.
Pros
Cons
Student's attitudes
Part-Time Network Technician (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 13, 2016
Learned about Cisco routers and switches, Windows 2012 servers. Working on a data center. Cabling and Imaging. Is a great experience.
Fun place to work that cares about it students and employees.
Assistant Head Coach (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 11, 2016
Being a basketball coach for the program meant that I was only there for practices and games. It has been a great opportunity to grow in my career.
good place to work, relaxed atmosphere
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, INJanuary 10, 2016
a typical day is unlocking doors for students and employees, making name badges and assisting students and teachers to help find their respective classrooms. I maintain security cameras in parking lots and within the campus. I get to meet a variety of people and enjoy my current position.
Pros
furnished uniforms, competitive wage
Cons
being part-time with no health insurance coverage for myself & spouse

4.2