Ivy Tech Community College

Ivy Tech Community College United States Employee Reviews

Great place to teach students at the remedial level.
Writing Instructor/Tutor (Former Employee), Lafayette, INJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: the wonderful students and hard working instructors.
Cons: adjuncts were paid $30 an hour, classroom time only.
I worked as an adjunct writing instructor at the remedial level. I loved working at Ivy Tech Community College in Lafayette, Indiana, because I had students who were serious about learning; in addition, my fellow teachers were dedicated and hard working. I liked the atmosphere at Ivy Tech and would highly recommend working there.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor of English (Current Employee), Gary, INJanuary 20, 2015
There are some good programs for students to get involved in community college. I like the people that I work with who really seem to care about the students and about community outreach. I am very happy at my job, but just need full time or work to supplement my income. With the Obamacare program, there is a newer rule that Adjuncts can only have a small number of classes.
Was a great learning opportunity
Office Coordinator (Current Employee), Lafayette IndianaJanuary 19, 2015
I enjoyed that not every day was the same and that you could make a difference in someone's life by doing your job.
Business Adjunct Faculty
Business Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Lafayette, INJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: positive work environment, job security, full-time employee benefits, etc.
Overall, Ivy Tech is a great place to work, whether you are looking for full-time or part-time. Job security is definitely a positive aspect as well as great benefits for full-time employees. However, I only work part-time as a Business Adjunct Faculty member and do not qualify for such benefits at this time.
Productively working towards my degree
Active Student (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJanuary 8, 2015
I am not employed here. I attend classes here to work towards my degree. I have learned a lot of things that will help me with my long term goal of becoming a nurse. The students and faculty are all pleasurable to be around.
supervisor
Adjunct Professor, School of Healthcare Support (Former Employee), Muncie, INJanuary 6, 2015
The worst supervisor I have ever had to deal with. Gender discrimination, unsupportive, insulting, lacked business knowledge.
Rewarding place to work
IT Manager (Current Employee), West Lafayette, INJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: nice people
Cons: low pay
Ivy tech is a rewarding place to work, because it allows you to connect to many different people and establish friendships that could help you down the road in your career, the pay on the other hand isn't that great.
Excellent place to work
Student (Former Employee), Sellersburg, INDecember 29, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: long days
Awesome place to work would highly recommend it to everyone.
Wonderful co-workers and an excellent learning environment.
Adjunct Faculty Instructor (Current Employee), Kokomo, INDecember 29, 2014
I love my job. But, I have no opportunity for advancement. Great atmosphere and excellent learning environment.
The place that made me want to be a part of higher learning
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Terre Haute, INDecember 22, 2014
Pros: flexibility, diversity, certifications, close to home
Cons: no benefits or permanent job placement
A typical day is probably comparable to working at Google. I helped students register for classes, proctored tests, answered phone, signed people in to see an advisor, and assisted them with technology all while having a great time being a student of the college. I learned a great deal about being professional, while maintaining a friendly atmosphere at the same time. Management was great and are till this day some of my closest mentors. Co-workers were wonderful as well, when I had them because I was pretty much the only one. The hardest part was leaving everyday. That's just how much I loved working there. The most enjoyable part was how diverse and pleasant the atmosphere was.
Productive workplace
Clerk - Registrar Support (Current Employee), Gary, INDecember 16, 2014
• Review files, records, and other documents to obtain information to respond to requests.
• Deliver messages, run errands Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
• Train other staff members to perform work activities, such as using computer applications.
• Troubleshoot problems involving office equipment, such as computer hardware and software.
• Open, sort, and route incoming mail, answer correspondence, and prepare outgoing mail.
Teacher
Adjunct Sociology (Current Employee), Kokomo, INNovember 8, 2014
• Create course syllabus
• Teach within the Kokomo Area
• Lecture and use various teaching techniques to teach Sociology
• Design critical thinking questions
• Prepare lesson plans
• Construct exam and research assignments
• Grade exam and research papers
• Interact with students to ensure understanding of material
• Counsel students in need of help
• Online Teacher certified thru Ivy Tech Community College Spring 2012
Department staff creates a great work environment.
Online Technologies Assistant (Current Employee), Gary, INNovember 6, 2014
No room for advancement, although, work days are manageable.
Library Aide (Current Employee), East Chicago, INNovember 5, 2014
Pros: works around my school schedule and class is in the same building
Cons: very little pay, no raises and no advancement
The job is not hard at all. I monitor the library while students come in and do their homework; if they have a problem with their homework that I can assist them with I will do so. I do all the book cataloging for the library as well as library instruction.
The Educational Journey
Clerical Assistant to Registrar (Former Employee), South Bend, INNovember 4, 2014
Pros: good office atmosphere, fellow colleagues
Cons: micro-management by the administration
A typical day at work was data entry of academic information, answering phones and emails, and resolving any issues that students, faculty or the administration brought to my attention. I really learned to become more adept in making sure that our office was the last stop and that we got a resolution to any and all issues that we were confronted with. I had the absolute best boss and fellow colleagues and that is what I miss the most.
The hardest part of the job was knowing that it could end at anytime, which it did because of the restructuring of the region. The most enjoyable was working with my fellow colleagues and the great many friendships that I made while employed at the college.
Great institution!
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 31, 2014
Cons: adjunct course load is limited to 3-4 classes.
Lots of good people trying to offer a much needed alternative to higher priced education.
A great college that truly supports the student population.
Human Resources Contractor (Current Employee), IndianapolisOctober 28, 2014
Ivy Tech has a wonderful mission statement that supports its students and employees. It was a very fun and low-pressure work environment.
Teaching Job
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Muncie, INOctober 28, 2014
This was a part time teaching job. Would have like to secured a full time position but there were no openings.

Enjoyed: Teaching adults; working with people; great boss.

Hardest part of the job: Not knowing how many classes you could get; the college limited the amount of courses we could teach because of Obamacare so had no health coverage and could only teach up to 3 courses when I used to be able to teach 6 courses. 3 courses is unlivable wage.
Nursing Student
nursing student (Former Employee), south bend, INOctober 26, 2014
Pros: get a degree
Cons: worst experience ever!
Ivy Tech sets you up to fail! Their professors don't help you one bit, and the dean is lazy and does nothing but strut around the office.
Nice place to work had lots of activities availiable to you and lots of different people to help and work with.
Lab Assistant in the Office Administration Lab (Former Employee), Logansport, INOctober 24, 2014
Pros: being able to help people with there needs
Cons: not enough time to help some of the older people.
Graded papers and keyed documents, assisted students, answered phone, instructed students on tests and troubleshoot and solve problems.I had a very good relationship with my co-workers and management. Trying to get the computers to do what you might want them to do was sometimes difficult. Working with all of the other students.

About Ivy Tech Community College

About Us: Ivy Tech is the largest singly accredited community college system in the nation serving the entire state of Indiana – Read more

Ivy Tech Community College Salaries