Ivy Tech Community College Employee Reviews

Lack of recognition for hard work.
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  IndianaNovember 29, 2017
I was forced to do my team leader's job and my job for less money. People get promoted for doing nothing. Hard workers are not recognized. There is no reward for working hard to provide a good service. Bosses don't want to lose hard workers, but also don't want to pay them. Supervisors will discuss career goals and opportunities with lazy workers, but seem bent on leaving a hard worker stuck in a role.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
hard work is not recognized, laziness is encouraged and rewarded, hard workers are stuck at entry level
Great people
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 28, 2017
Many great people work at Ivy Tech. Management not so great. Enrollment on decline. Reduction in workforce implemented. Wonderful benefits and good pay.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
unstable work environment
Nice place to work
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Madison, INNovember 27, 2017
Nice place to work, great benefits, good management. Autonomy in teaching for the most part. Some administrative "extras" can be cumbersome and take away from focus on students.
Good for retirees.
Professor of Sociology (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 24, 2017
It is a good place to work for retirees. It is small so there is not much room for advancement. If money or advancement is not an issue, it is delightful. People are friendly, efficient, and students are good people.
Pros
Friendly people.
No place for advancement
Student Records Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 24, 2017
If you have been there more than five years, there is no advancement opportunities. Nothing but politics due to politicians in charge of the college.
Loved it!!
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INNovember 20, 2017
When you left the office, work did not follow you home. The workplace culture is very inclusive. I learned a multitude of things, most of all I should not have left!
Dead End
Student Affairs (Current Employee) –  AnonymousNovember 14, 2017
Unless you play the game or are well connected, you will be stuck at entry level. This place hires external candidates and promotes extremely unqualified people (no degrees, or "degrees" from diploma mills, ironic given that this is higher ed!) while the rest of us work our tails off and get no recognition. Getting passed over for promotion for someone who has no experience and then that person asks ME how to do the job is insulting. They keep saying they care about employee retention, but that's BS. Pay us adequately and give us opportunity to grow our careers and show you appreciate us and you'll stop seeing a revolving door.
Pros
vacation, benefits
Cons
pay, lack of advancement, unqualified people get promoted
Ivy Tech
Staff (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 14, 2017
Learn more on how the college is run, what all goes into a job fair,I learn to help students find jobs and work on resumes. I put packets together, make copies, post jobs on a job board, and make flyers.
Pros
Works well with Class
Cons
not much pay
Most employees were wonderful relaxed and fun management not so much
Financial Aid Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 11, 2017
Ivy Tech fun and had some great people in line staff. Not sure now as I have moved on. Overall not a bad place to work. Enjoyed working with studenta more than anything.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Some Management staff should be more professional
It was just a work study program while i was at school.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Gary, INNovember 6, 2017
I participated in this work study program while i was in school. It was very interesting to be able to work as the project manager and help design an intelitek system that was going to be used to teach students of industrial technology.
Learning how tough health science is.
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INOctober 31, 2017
The typical day was filing and scanning test for instructors. I learned from listening to students when they came into the office explaining the challenges they were having with the classes they had to take as required for their degree.
Pros
New respect for Health Science department
Note Taker
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 28, 2017
My job was just to take notes for another student. I was able to pick what classes, day & time I was available. Being a student myself, the flexibility was very important. Pay was not that great but it was fine to get me by. I only did this for one semester because then I had internships to do. I noticed that Ivy Tech offered a lot of student services to support most needs.
A typical job
Student (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 27, 2017
You have the option to be requested by a student to take notes. They also have other participants outside of your classes. I was able to work and attend classes at the same time.
Pros
Going to class and still getting paid.
Cons
You couldn't be too sick to take notes
Overworked, underpaid
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 26, 2017
A good place to pick up some pocket money. When I once complained about the rate of pay I was informed that most people who teach there think of it as "service."
Summary
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 23, 2017
I can say the college has grown in the last few years and the culture of the student body has grown in a positive trend! I love our students and the students are what make my job the best place in the world to be!
Pros
Student Government
Cons
Leadership is broken
Seconf job
Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 21, 2017
This is a great second job! Great place to work, great coworkers and everyone is very positive and respectful! If you are looking for full-time work this is not the place for you. You will not receive full-time hours.
Pros
Flexibility
Great Place for professional growth and development
Director (Current Employee) –  Sellersburg, INOctober 20, 2017
Winners will win, and those who complain will sink. You have to be the change you want to see when you work here, which is not a bad thing at all, you just have to have the drive within to get things done and get where you want to get.
very good place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 14, 2017
good place to work. learned a lot about accounts payable and dealing with vendors. enjoyed working with fellow employees. some days were long especially when classes would start.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours sometimes
student worker
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INOctober 13, 2017
The salary was low but worked with my schedule as a student. My manager was an excellent one. She was fired for wrong reasons. The political agendas and the harassment were hard to overcome.
Great potential
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 12, 2017
Ivy Tech has great potential to be an excellent place of employment. However, if you are a minority of any kind (person of color, LGBTQ, religious minority, immigrant, differently abled, etc.) the environment is not very welcoming or supportive. Individuals within the organization are, but upper management and policies within the college are not. The college's focus is on money and politics rather than meeting the needs of its students and employees.

I enjoyed the work I did. I worked with some amazing people and loved all the students I worked with and for, but dealing with college policy or the lack thereof and apathetic, culturally unaware or unconcerned leadership was extremely frustrating.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ivy Tech Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2