Ivy Tech Community College Employee Reviews

Most enjoyable part of the job
Business Office/Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 20, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the students obtain finances for their education. The typical day at Ivy Tech is very busy and unpredictable.
Laid back and relaxed
Computer Lab Technician Work-Study (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 16, 2017
- Relaxed environment
- I was given opportunities to learn how to fix computers
- My boss was very understanding when things came up
- There were times where we had nothing to do, while other times we were very busy trying to get things done
Great place to work,not stressful. Everyone is very friendly.
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 15, 2017
I send out weekly ebills to students. I take care of payment plans, & I make sure the students' refund accounts are up to date in order to receive refunds. I do daily journal entries 7 monthly account analysis.
insturcting
Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INSeptember 13, 2017
Start with an average of twenty student each semester. Around the fourth or fifth week approximately seven will drop. First year students are challenging since you have to guide them how to learn in a college environment.
Great working environment
Academic Advising Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 11, 2017
I really enjoyed being able to help others as I was a receptionist. Sometimes people use to just come and talk to me as they stated I was always pleasant which was my daily goal on an everyday basis.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
No benefits/ not enough hours
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 10, 2017
Working for Ivy Tech Community College was a good experience. The other employees are kind and helpful. There is not much room for advancement but if you get hired, rhe job is secure as long as you perform up to expectations.
Pros
Good work environment, job security, friendly coworkers
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement
Not too bad
Registrar Office (Former Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 6, 2017
A bit stressful, lots of shake-ups right now and lay offs. Uncertain of the future here. Lots of changes in management and job positions.
Not a lot of good information.
Pros
Health care
Cons
Pay
Great people but stringent and redundant policies and procedures
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 6, 2017
People here truly care about students but the policies, procedures, and systems seem to suggest otherwise. I enjoy the work but more support need so go to employees so they avoid burnout. Students, faculty and front-line staff should have more say and involvement in the decisions that are made that affect students at the college. The college would benefit from investing in flexible work schedules for ALL employees. Technology can be used to support this as well as make systems easier. Why should students always have to come to campus just to sign a form to change their major. If they have the conversation with a knowledgeable employee on campus, can't the employee vouch for them digitally so that the student can have approval to change their major? So many students have busier lives than the employees and we tend to do what is most convenient to us. All in all, Ivy Tech his full of caring individuals throughout the system but Ivy Tech needs a update to become more modern in their operations to ensure both student and employee retention.
Pros
The employees and students
Cons
policies and procedures; outdated systems
Multiple Higher ED Services
Consultancy Services Project (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.AAugust 31, 2017
Fun and Busy workplace to work for. Many new things to learn at this organization. Good Environment and Work.
Multiple projects and initiatives in Higher ED Organization
Pros
Good Environment and Team Work
Cons
Multiple Projects running Simultaneously can be overwhelming for few people
No. Just No!
BUSINESS OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 27, 2017
I do not recommend working for this company. It was extremely stressful. Everyone backstabs or waits to back stab you. The morale is very low. The management and leadership is extremely poor quality.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INAugust 24, 2017
Greet all incoming visitors directing them to the correct area, answer all incoming phone calls while maintaining student files and payments​, helping with general office routine while assisting instructors.
Very good teachers
Student (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INAugust 23, 2017
All my teachers were very good teachers and educated.I loved going to school. It was a very good experience hoping to attend classes soon. Hopefully I can continue to finish my education in Ivy Tech.
ivytech
Assistant to Academic Secretary (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INAugust 23, 2017
It was a wonderful learning experience .The staff and professors were very helpful and willing to work with you and the learning possibilities were endless . my work study manager was the best Ive ever had
A wonderful place to work
Student Affairs and Indiana Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 21, 2017
The day starts with greeting students with a smile and a positive attitude that is encouraging. Each student that I meet with I assesses the student's stage of development (academic, career, and personal) and promotes student growth by determining suitable developmental tasks; assists student in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals. Answer questions regarding the admissions process and college life in general. Review applications and register students for classes. Maintains student files and records; documents all pertinent student information; updates computerized information system regarding changes to student status. Interprets and explains college and university policies and procedures; participates in preparation of orientations and presents academic information to new students, parents during orientation and returning student.
For one hour and forty five minutes I facilitated a New Student Seminar Course. Assist students in obtaining skills necessary to education, career and life objective, Maintaining student attendance, classwork and grades. Inform students of institution resources needed to succeed, utilized motivational techniques to increase retention rates among student within the classroom.
The work culture is fast pace and revolves around good customer service.
The hardest part of the job is when I am not able to encourage students to stay in school.
The easiest part of the job is my enter action and the relationships built with the students.
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the student meet their goal by graduating
  more... and the pride it gives them.  less
Pros
Free Classes
Cons
No Job Advancement
Productive and my boss was nice to me.
Automotive Technology Tool Crib Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 20, 2017
The job that I held at Ivy Tech was excellent. I was able o work and complete my homework on time. My boss was excellent. I would recommend this job to anyone who was looking for a job. They were able to work with my class schedules.

I learned how to organize tools.
I did not find the job hard at all.
The most enjoyable about this job is that I got along with everyone.
Pros
Enjoyed working with my boss.
Cons
I can not think of anything con about this job.
Place is like a family
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 18, 2017
Ivy Tech for me felt like a family. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help you to achieve your goals even if its outside of Ivy Tech Community College.
Always so positive.
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 18, 2017
Instruct general education college classes.
I have learned that plenty of people care about students and their higher education.
The hardest part of the job is not knowing whether I will have a class to teach.
The most enjoyable part is watching my students pass the class and move forward.
Good Place to Teach
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INAugust 16, 2017
Electronics and computer technologies (ECT) are fast-changing fields vital to almost every facet of modern life. Many employees are needed every year to meet demands. If you like math, science, and technology, ECT may be the choice for you. With the ECT-AAS degree or Technical Certificate, you can get a high-paying job in installation, service, repair, development and/or maintenance of high-tech equipment and systems.
It provides a good work/life balance
Chemistry Instructor (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 14, 2017
1. A day-to-day busy schedule
2. Teaching is give and take. The classroom is in itself a learning place for me as well as for my students
3. The management supporting faculty and other staff is friendly, helpful and resourceful
4. Workplace culture is good, however, there is a need of more interaction or transparent communication among the faculty and the satff members
5. The hardest part of the job is to keep yourself emotionally detached from students so as to not get affected by any students who mis-behaves or humiliate you.
6. The most rewarding part of my job is when students send you an email providing their constructive feedback. To destructive feedback, finding way to improve myself so as to not recieve another destructive feedback.
Pros
Resourceful
Cons
No paid vacation, short maternal leave
Something I guess
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  In the office of student affairsAugust 13, 2017
I was prompted to write something, though I don't really have anything to say in particular. I interacted with students, faculty, and with administrators.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ivy Tech Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2