Ivymount Employee Reviews

A lot of Pros and Cons
Unspecified (Former Employee) –  UnspecifiedJune 14, 2017
The Ivymount School provides services for children with special needs. A typical day may look different depending on which specific program you are working in and what role you have. The caseload was manageable, the students, while challenging, were a delight to work with.

Management was one thing that made this job a challenge. Because the needs of students require a lot of collaboration, there were several different supervisors all coming to the table with differing perspectives. While this could have served as an ideal environment to collaborate and learn in an interdisciplinary way, it did not function that way. It often made for a disorganized and conflicting workplace culture. Perhaps shifting perspectives will settle and there will be better communication in the future making it a place that fosters learning and collaboration for employees, but currently it seems to be a work in progress.
Pros
students and families;
Cons
Low pay, ABA focused, work in summer, no anonymity when reporting problems, conflicting directions from supervisors, 2+year wait list for onsite parking, paperwork heavy
Not a good place to work.
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 27, 2017
Bad pay, you have personal/ sick days you accumulate during your time working, but the management will make a fuss if you use your days. Can never call off sick, the system is a mess
Best School!
Private School, Head Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 28, 2017
Such an amazing school to work at. The support staff and resources are one of a kind. A great training ground for new teachers. The students and their parents are amazing!
Fun and knowledgeable place
1:1 Associate teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 20, 2016
It was fun to work with Ivymount School. Learned new techniques of how to handle different problematic behaviors of students. All the staff was very co-operative and helpful. I enjoyed my time their.
Great Place to work!
ABA Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 23, 2016
I absolutely love working at Ivymount! The kids are amazing, the training is impeccable, and the staff you work with are incredible. My only complaints would be that you don't get paid nearly enough for what you're doing, and some of the staff can be kind of stand-offish and unapproachable.
Pros
Great atmosphere, SUPER rewarding
Cons
Unapproachable staff at times
Great place to work Saturday Camp
Part-time (weekends) (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 25, 2016
Great place to work Saturday Outreach Camp. Staff are all very nice. The work is rewarding and children are great. I enjoyed working with outreach camp. It seemed very organized and tailored to the children's needs.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Hard to obtain a full-time position
Spent 5 years working at Ivymount
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 20, 2016
I gained some really valuable experiences working at this school. It was my first full time introduction to working with students with Autism and other disabilities (or varied abilities I should say)
There were some great OT's, PT's, behavior therapists and SLPs who were always great to work alongside. Sadly they moved on and there seemed to be a high turnover of staff ever year. This can be good and bad, it certainly keeps things fresh. New people new idea and approaches.

The commute was a little tough, an hour door to door, but you can get used to it especially when you find out that there are a lot more staff who travel from farther distances everyday. There's the good the bad and the ugly, but the good usually outweighed the bad.
If anything, having great colleagues overrides some poor management or those in senior positions who barely interacted with the daily goings on yet wanted to lord it over hard working staff whenever they slipped up or put on a good show of authority when outsiders or parents came in

Its a tough and rewarding job even if the pay could be better. bonuses were a blessing but were not always guaranteed. The most enjoyable part was seeing your students get it and watching them overcome challenges. The hardest part was colleagues who come to work to doss and are only there for the paycheck.
Pros
Flexible environment at times, great if you have kids or otherwise. Great exposure to all aspects of SPED
Cons
Having to work all year round with only two weeks off, not great if you have kids.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 13, 2015
I really enjoyed working one-to-one with the outrach program. All of the teachers were welcoming and supportive. It's a good job to contract with.
Pros
Fun activities for children
Cons
Hard to gain full-time employment with them
Ivymount
Assistant teacher 1:1 (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 19, 2015
I love the environment and the staff that I work with. However the staff are under paid for the amount of work that is required.
A Once Great School Has Gone Downhill
1:1/Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 8, 2014
This was such a wonderful school to work at. I started my first year with a great division director who had run the wing for many years. The staff during my first year made my experience a pleasure. The students put a smile on my face every day. It was such a warm and lovely environment to work in especially for those in the field of education/special education or pursuing it. At the close of the first school year the great director stepped down and a new director took her place--- a speech related service provider. Yeah, sometimes you don't have to be too competent to get a hold of a position. You just have to know the right people which is the reality at this company. Once she took over during the second school year everything started to fall apart. Staff were either quitting or getting fired for no reason. The harder you worked and the more qualified you were, the faster you would get chopped. No job security or loyalty whatsoever. It's very mind boggling.

Along with very high turnover, the division was always understaffed. This meant teachers taking on double duty. Some students did not have the assistance they needed; just a sad situation.

Performance evaluations were falsified and not based on actual job performance, instead, on a personal level. If they liked you, you stayed another year. If they did not like you then you were out. It did not matter how sincere, warm and compassionate you were in your role and how much you loved teaching, the students, and your qualifications. In stead of actually observing you, were conducted in their offices using their opinions
  more... and mood.

Not a school to work at if you are looking for a secure job, advancement, respect, and fair management.
Pros
nice teachers, paid time off, great trainings, excellent experience for future educators
Cons
poor management, no room for advancement, no job security
Great experience
Assistant teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MdMay 8, 2013
The school has taught me how to complete paperwork such as IEPs, and offered excellent trainings. The coworkers were great.
Productive and fun workplace workplace with opportunities for professional development and advancement.
Senior ABA Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 20, 2013
A typical day at The Ivymount School consisted of working with students to increase their quality of living. Each day I would run academic programs as well as collect data to ensure progress was being made. Each quarter I was responsible for conducting quarterly documentation reviews in which I would audit other co-worker's proper use of documentation. While working at Ivymount I learned about being a special educator, such as managing classroom behaviors as well as making proper judgement calls in the moment. I also learned how to work as a team, communicating professionally and constructively. My co-workers consisted of a group of goal-oriented individuals working together to achieve progress in the lives of their students. The hardest part of the job was the constant physical activity. Sometimes being on your feet all day can be tiring! However, it's all worth while knowing that you're making a difference in a child's life and seeing the smiles on their faces as they walk in the door.
Pros
long breaks, short school days on wednesdays
Cons
low salary, long commute
Good place to work if you enjoy working with the Special Needs population.
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 3, 2013
Decent atmosphere. Good place to begin a teaching/educator career.
Pros
great school with an international reputation.
Cons
poor benefits. not a lot of room for advancement.
Overall GREAT place to work
Administrative Assistant for Human Resources I (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 10, 2012
Very busy, exciting environment working with staff and special needs children. Interaction with children on a regular basis (for non-teaching staff) reminds us why we are here; making the teacher's lives as easy as possible is paramount due to the stress they endure.
Pros
working with special needs students
Cons
pay and commute
Productive place to work
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 21, 2012
Am lucky to have a stable job, great co-workers, and a great boss. The school really goes the extra mile to help children with disabilites.
Really terrific educators here.
Pros
bonuses after working here a year
Cons
short breaks
Horrible school
teacher (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 11, 2012
This school favors the children whos parents can afford to play. The children supported by the state are treated like second class citizens. They give this list to teachers. Just horrible. The school is run by an old elitist hag. She is totally out of touch with the staff and acts like a lunatic. The heads of departments are total idiots and are not qualified to do their jobs. i.e. a speech therapist as head of lower and middle school - another hag. They fired the art teacher after 25 years of service!!!! There is NO loyalty and the teachers are at each others throats because they are afraid for their jobs. The teachers rat each other out every day. The children are given food as a reward -???? Food is a right not a reward. This place is a nightmare stay away.
Cons
horrible management, elitist attitude, back biting atmosphere.
great starter job out of college...great staff
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Potomac, MDFebruary 27, 2012
I worked there right out of college and it was amazing! The programs they run for children with mild to severe disabilities are so wonderful and the staff are so caring!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ivymount. Our community is ready to answer.

Ivymount Reviews by Location