J. C. Penney

J. C. Penney Employer Reviews

Fun and fast-past working with a lot at people and retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mesa, AZJuly 1, 2014
Pros: friendly atmospherics, many brakes, and good training
Cons: not enough bathrooms
At this job i leader all about customer service, team work, and retail responsibility. The management was great they all was very knowledgeably about there department, they made training fun and easy too under stained; They was there as soon as we needed something. My co-workers where all easy to get along with, we blended well as a team and help each – more... other on all the responsibility of the day. the hardest part of the job was finding all new products. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with and meeting new people everyday. – less
No stability.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), NLR, ARMay 29, 2014
Pros: pay over minimum wage
Cons: everything
Hours are few. Pay is minimal, yet better than most retail stores. Management acts "too-good" to help out.
Was a great company
Merchandise Execution Manager (Former Employee), Wisconsin and IndianaMay 28, 2014
Before Ron Johnson JCPenney was a great company to build a career in retail management. I hope they are able to come back around!

-Ok pay and benefits
-Great work life balance
-Dedicated associates that have been with company for 10,20, or 30 plus years
-Experienced managers/supervisors
-Positive culture, although a bit old school in some stsores
Great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Macon, GAApril 20, 2014
Pros: occasional free food, discount
Cons: staying later
Everybody knows everybody. Breaks are from 15 mins to an hour depending on length of shift. I love being in retail but coworkers can be very hectic in department stores. Crowds come and go but there's usually always someone there to help. The managers will remember you and they are very helpful when it comes to recommendations. May have to stay a lot – more... later than expected to clean the store NOT JUST YOUR DEPARTMENT! – less
There were very little customers in this store during Christmas.
Supervisor - Maria in Human Resources (Former Employee), Westminster, CAApril 15, 2014
Pros: free lunch during christmas
Cons: no customers
There were very little customers in this store. Everyone I worked with were very nice to me including the supervisors.
Lack of training provided, unqulaified managers favortism, and targeting
Legal Dept. Employee (Current Employee), Home Office Plano, TXApril 9, 2014
Pros: amenties are avaialble-but all involve fees which most employees cannot afford, employees are given a discount on products sold in the stores
Cons: blantant favoritism, presumed guilt without affording an opportunity to explain circumstance, targeted scrutiny to set up pretexts for disciplinay action, often required overime hours without additional pay;
Little or no training is provided for Legal Dept. Home Office positions; new hires are expected to learn the systems on the job and are highly criticized for not being familiar with and/or quickly assimilating the ever-changing and often non-functional on-line programs.

Recognition for hard work is rarely, if ever, acknowledged or rewarded in any way-even – more... verbally.

Management expects last-minute or after-the-fact assignments to be completed immediately, even though those same matters may have lain dormant on their own desks for days, if not weeks. Little or no explanation or instruction is given other than the statement "Do this."

It is obvious that often mangers have been placed in positions for which they are poorly qualified, but have risen in the ranks through egregiously cultivating relationships with upper management, rather than through any actual experience, outstanding merit, or achievement. Some are particularly disorganized and short-tempered, and most will never back up their subordinates if any criticism is even suggested against those employees.

Some employees are held to a very strict level of performance while others are allowed to come and go as they please, use their time on personal interests, and carry a relatively light work load in comparison to their peers. Policies are selectively enforced, depending on whether or not one is in a favored status.

Required frequent and repetitive meetings are held (as many as 6 a month) for employees to report on assignments in order for management to appear as though they are "managing" their subordinates, when in fact, they are completely out of touch with the work being done.

Morale is extremely low, and numerous employees are looking for other positions. It is easy to understand why there is a constant revolving door in this department. The dept. is always short-handed because the budget goes to managerial salaries and bonuses rather than to hiring sufficient personnel . – less
Great clothing store.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Culpeper, VA.April 6, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Oversee employees. I learned that I had management potential. I went from being a employee in the department to being the supervisor of that department in 6 months. I had a great group of employees that made my job very easy for me.
Mean managers
Sales associate (Former Employee), altamonte springsMarch 18, 2014
Pros: no sales goal or commission, its in a mall, easy to hide and do nothing
Cons: call in for extra shifts were always last minute, awful training, poor management
Would check out customers, occasionally help someone out with something. I'd honestly hide most the day. Managers were mean and selfish. Co-workers were old and rude. Hardest thing about this job was getting people to sign up for credit cards. Nothing was really enjoyable.
Working retail was an exciting job.
Cashier (Former Employee), Jackson, TNDecember 10, 2013
Pros: it was an exciting job for me.
Cons: i did not like the new robot scheduler
It was fast paced and it was a new experience for me. I learned the daily functions of the store. I learned my tasks suck as customer service such as assisted customers ran cash register, zoned area for cleanliness, and other duties as assigned.
Unstable workplace
Customer Service Expert (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCDecember 5, 2013
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: management
J.C. Penney was originally a good place to work. However, things quickly changed with the turnover of ceo's.
worst job ever
never given one (Former Employee), carlsbad,caOctober 27, 2013
Cons: no breaks, disorganized, top heavy
worst place i have ever been hired at..most disorganized company. went for training and the so called trainer was disorganized, had no plan, didn't know how to deal properly with people. the trainer just placed you in front of a computer( if he could find one) and have u watch tutorials on how the register worked..never given a job discription, nor – more... even told who the manager of the store is. had to ask for the phone number of the office to call in sick or if running into problems pertaining to work. no schedule given to anyone in training,just told to come back two days later or what ever was convient for him. no 10 min. breaks given. i am over 40 and thank god don't really need to work. just wanted a few hours for xmas so i wouldn't use my savings. i was put into training with 18 year olds who have more computor experience then i do. i actually read all of the tutorial ( even though i was moved to 3 different computers and had people talking loud because they were leaving for the weekend.) the print on the computer was blurry making the keys of a simulated register hard to read. no reference booklet even given out to help u go over the material pertaining to the register. this place was a disaster, junk laying around in every office( it was like horders at the workplace) papers and food pakages in the offices just thrown with no organization. I have management experience from past employement...This trainer/manager doesn't really no how to talk or deal with different types of people. If you speak your mind he tries to pull the old "attitude card" on u. i see jcp just wants 18 year olds with no experience to just not think on their own and go out to the departments and just work...I'm glad i don't need this type of work. this company will not be around for long and this store i was at is very top heavy(too much management doing nothing). this store should be look at by cooperate. This trainer i had i feel age discriminates due to he was always comparing me to the 18 yr. old new hires..in fact he brought up the subject of them be faster on the computer then me several times! hmm..I also had trouble reading their computor screen..but when i looked for someone for help their was no one around..as a matter of fact i was left by myself from 3:00 pm until around 5:00pm. This is called training? The trainer needed to address all trainees as individuals..which he didn't..This place was like a free-for-all..I was pretty shocked at what i saw going on behind the scenes of this store..i have a credit card at this store and think i'll cancel it due to the behavior i saw behind the scenes. – less
clean bubbly environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fayetteville, GAOctober 15, 2013
Pros: lengthy breaks
Cons: attitude from manager
typical work day was to assist customers.
I learned to always make sure that the customers were comfortable and found everything they were looking for
management was rude she never listened to her associate if there was an issue. She always go by what the supervisors said only.
co-workers were nice enough to help out if there was a problem or if I didn't – more... know an answer to a customers question
The hardest part about the job was wondering if the manager was going to get rid of you because she dislike you for whatever reason.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the guest. I LOVED HELPING THE CUSTOMERS. – less
Fun place to work.
Signing the store for upcoming events and sales (Former Employee), Springfield, MAOctober 3, 2013
Work kept me busy with signing, pricing, and interacting with customers. I was sad to see the store close.
Stressfull
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Spokane, WASeptember 30, 2013
Pros: doughnut fridays
Cons: had to watch your back
You always had to watch your back and that was not a good thing
Good Customer Service
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Weslaco, TXSeptember 26, 2013
Customer Service is absolutely excellent. learned a lot from any position that is aquired.
Ok place to work
value added services clerk (Former Employee), Statesville N.C.July 10, 2013
taught me how to drive a forklift. I learned how to put on ink-tags and change price tags.
fun work environment
Sales Associate Cashier (Former Employee), Niles, OHJune 24, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, employee discount
Cons: no healthcare
working with customers was very enjoyable. Great people to work with.
Great Team To Start the Day With
Door to Floor, M.E.T. , and Sales Associate (Current Employee), Portage, MIMarch 21, 2013
Pros: really friendly co-workers
Cons: inconsistent communicating
Door to Floor team is a really fun easy-going group that gets the work done. I learned a lot of about JCP and retail through this job since you stock all the inventory. The Most enjoyable part of this job is having so much of the day left after work.
fun place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Monaca, PAMarch 21, 2013
Pros: great time over holidays
I first have to said I learned the rules of customer service, organizacion and hospitality. Costomer sevice is abroad vocation you're learning all the time. I love team work because it does make it easy in your every day tasks. I I do enjoy people and that's why I do enjoy my job and whatever I do.
Part-time sales associate
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Monroeville, PAMarch 1, 2013
Pros: employee discount, flexible, part-time
Cons: working two jobs
Sales/customer service. Working with the public, opening charge accounts, putting out new inventory.