J. C. Penney

J. C. Penney Employer Reviews

What else could a retail associate ask for?
Fine Jewelry Product Expert (Current Employee), MNFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: flexibility, culture, and discount.
Cons: typical corporate concerns, low momentum, and economy dependent.
I started at the company as an entry level sales associate. You are rewarded for great performance and called out accordingly. They are extremely flexible, a great fit for any part timer. There are some opportunities available; main opportunities include: increased hours scheduled, merit increases, and the availability to move into Product Expert status in a specialty department. Management opportunities exist, but are competitive. The culture is based on winning together and is always entertaining.
Terrible
Visual Specalist (Former Employee), AlbuquerqueJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: everything
This company is a terrible place to work. Lack of upper management, absolute ZERO communication, the store manager is the most unappreciative person I've ever met in my life.
They lie straight to your face, and expect the world from you with unlivable pay.

The ONLY thing I liked about working for this company was the discount.
Confusing Management, Enjoyable Nonetheless.
Sales Support, Cashier, Runner, Recovery (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: little supervision, mostly did what was needed.
Cons: bias was rampant in the breakroom, cliques dominated.
I had the unique ability to do whatever I wanted really, I had about 6 managers that I reported to infrequently. Main duties included managing the changing room and putting clothes away. By far my best job experience due to lack of supervision and lots of leeway. Team Members were friendly and enjoyable, only one manager stood out as being uncomfortably superior to everyone. All in all a good work experience.
Low pay, store leader not caring about employees
supervisor (Current Employee), fort morganJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: discount on merchandise
Cons: lack of upper management caring from store leader on up.
The customers and few employees are great to work with. I dont feel that JCP really cares about the employees there is lack of training and right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing!
Work for pennies at Penneys.
Salon Designer (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: minimum wage
If you want to make minimum wage with no benefits, this is the place for you. Regular Penneys associates make 9 or 10$ an hour and they just ring up purchases. At the salon you will be expected to do all the same work as an associate and all the work of a stylist for minimum wage. If you clear enough hourly you can make commissions but if your store isn't busy you won't be either. You can expect to work several dead shifts a week so its very difficult to make any money. THEY DON'T EVEN PAY RETAIL COMMISSION!! But you are expected to sell retail. I had random dental insurance deducted from my check even though I didn't sign up for it. As a result my last check was for 7$ for a weekends work. The local team was OK and I made an awesome friend so it wasn't a total loss but darn close. I worked there on weekends for nearly a year ( I have a regular 40 hr job elsewhere) and only made 3000$. It wasn't worth it to give up the only time I had to rest for that kind of money. There are busy stores and salons but not the one I worked at. Three out of six stylists quit because they weren't making any money including the top stylist in the salon. If you like working hard for pennies, work at Penney's.
Sales Assoc (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: experience dealing with the public
Cons: salary
Learned patience in dealing with customers. Learned info on new styles and how to arrange merchandise for new stock.
A once fine company now using cut rate benefits and bullying management.
Department Manager (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: vacation time
Cons: jcpenney is now a bottom feeder
There is no "typical day at work" Policy changes with the wind. No one knows what's going on from day to day. If it will save a salary buck, they'll cut your throat.

I learned a lot before the RJ collapse.

Every store manager has an agenda which seldom equates to employee fairness. Then the next store manager bad mouths them and takes the store in a different direction.

Everyone should expect to pull the knife out of their back daily.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of upper management support.

The most enjoyable part of the job is resigning,
Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2014
This was my first job that I have stayed in almost 3 years in this store I did enjoy the job.
Part time job with few hours
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Pittsburg, KSDecember 19, 2014
Pros: clothing discount
Cons: not enough hours
I sold shoes and accessories. I also tagged and arranged merchandise.
I learned how to use the cash register and read the labels for the various brands of shoes.
Management and co-workers were nice.
The hardest part of the job was the boredom.
The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the customers.
Not a family company!
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), San Marcos TXDecember 14, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: everything else
Don't be fulled by the speech they give you during your hiring process. JC Penney is not a family focused company that they claim to be. A typical day they will expect 1 person to do the job of 3 people. Not only that but training is non-existent. After you do you computer training which is nothing like how it is on the floor they throw you too the wolves. Some of the manager are pretty nice and try to create a good work environment but they have no say or power in anything. My manager made too many promises that he couldn't keep to keep me around. The discount is the only really great thing about working there. I finally left JCP after they tried to force me to work during my College Graduation after they had already approved it off 4 month before when I requested. I realize that it was a high selling weekend but I'm not going to skip my Graduation. Another girl had her wedding that weekend and they fired her because she refused to come in on her wedding day! When you work for JCP they think they own you so don't be surprised when they won't let you off for any family functions or weekends because 90% of the year is blacked out (meaning your can't request off)!
overall company great to work for, but not the elkhart indiana store
Sales Support (Former Employee), Elkhart, IndianaDecember 2, 2014
Pros: nice employee discount
Cons: bad management, bad work environment, no help from management
The management did not know what they were doing and they continued to hire management who did not know what they were doing. They did not value their employees. They were not flexible with schedules. I think other store may be better but the Elkhart, Indiana stores was awful.
Easy job but pays horribly
Customer service specialist (Former Employee), Victoria, TXDecember 1, 2014
Pros: discount, chill environment
Cons: pay, always had to stay later when closing
Easy job. I worked in the Home dept. Managers are not on you 24/7 like other jobs. The only complaint I have is the pay. I got paid only $8.75/hour. There is no insurance available for part-timers but you do accumulate vacation time after a year when you work part-time. Also 25% discount on everything including sephora.
would not recommend to anyone
customer service specialist (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHDecember 1, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: favortism, lack of knowledge, very unstable, and overwhelming amounts of unnecessary stress
This company, speaking primarily of the Mansfield, OH, location has gone down hill very quickly since the new store manager took over. If you can play the favoritism game, don't mind being lied to, and/or thrown under the bus for untruths, this is the place for you. There were great associates to work with, unfortunately, the morale is very dismal due to the non-leadership and games of the store leader.
Terrible, oppressive, and depressing place to work!
Merchandise Processing clerk (Former Employee), Statesville, NCDecember 1, 2014
Pros: a check
Cons: fake, two faced bosses, backstabbing co-workers, unreliable hours
I don't know who they pay to write some of these reviews, but they are WRONG! Ok, a typical day at work is like working in a dungeon where both co-workers and management conspire against you. Management is a joke, where there are more chiefs than indians. Your co-workers are all stone cold haters who like nothing more than to throw you under the bus so one of the said over staffed chiefs can chew up a new one! The hardest part of this job is not getting laid off after 20 years of service. There in absolutely nothing enjoyable about this job! If you get a job here plan on it being short term, because this company is going out of business very soon!
Gone but not forgotten
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 18, 2014
I loved working for the company until they said after 11 years you are being separated from your position. I learned a great deal about Customer Service and had terrific co-workers and supervisors and managers. Christmas and Thanksgiving were always the more stressful times but still enjoyed the work. Overall this was a life changing experience and I really do miss J.C. Penney.
Hair Designer (Former Employee), Saint Marys, OHNovember 4, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: no cons, in 17 years there i cant think of anything that wasnt good.
I loved working at JC Penney. I loved the friendly atmosphere, the customers, Working conditions were the best. The management there had an open door policy that made you feel that you were important and appreciated. They were number one in customer service. I learned a lot while I was employed there. Also they recognize associate achievement, Flexible schedules, I just cant say enough .
Flexible
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Greendale, WINovember 2, 2014
Pros: very flexible hours
Cons: too far from home
J.C. Penney was very flexible with my schedule and was a fun environment to be in. The team at J.C. Penney was phenomenal and very understanding all situations. They teach you good team work and push you beyond your limits to expand your knowledge! Each and every day is a new challenge and the management continues to encourage you to strive to be a better person and provide quality customer service.
My manager was awesome
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Merrillville, INOctober 25, 2014
Havent worked at this company for years so I cant really give a good or bad review.
Department heads very profrssional.
Order Desk (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVOctober 4, 2014
Pros: office were great to work in.
Helped open store at the Blvd. mall. Learned how to inventory in a stock room. Promoted from within. Wrote orders for new stock, set up counters to arrange stock when received. Worked for 2 department heads for variety. Departmental cooperation.
Fun and fast-past working with a lot at people and retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mesa, AZJuly 1, 2014
Pros: friendly atmospherics, many brakes, and good training
Cons: not enough bathrooms
At this job i leader all about customer service, team work, and retail responsibility. The management was great they all was very knowledgeably about there department, they made training fun and easy too under stained; They was there as soon as we needed something. My co-workers where all easy to get along with, we blended well as a team and help each other on all the responsibility of the day. the hardest part of the job was finding all new products. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with and meeting new people everyday.

1 2 3