J. Crew Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Menial job with high stress
Operations Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 24, 2017
The job itself should be mindless and often is. However, management puts so much stress on employees so that mistakes are not made. It always seemed like no one wanted to be there as well as management hated everyone.
Negative culture, Poor leadership
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 18, 2017
Worked for the company for 5 years. They have a huge lack of training for management, and a high demand from all their employees. Given little hours for coverage and demanded to reach sales goals, while changing promotions, doing pages of markdowns, consolidations, shipment processing, scheduling, process in-store pick ups, process online orders (which they call enterprise sales), etc. it was a lose/lose situation. If you didn't accomplish those tasks, the leadership teams approach was fear mongering! Negative negative negative. Also, when does anyone even have time to take a break? With all the tasks and little sales coverage, you'd be lucky to sit for 15 minutes a day.
Pros
Benefits were decent. Salary started decent, though they put a cap on you in what they call a "geoband".
Cons
Everything else. Sweatshop working and negativity will cause you anxiety, stress, and your job isn't secure.
productive and fun work enviroment
Returns Processor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 18, 2017
very laid back in the department I'm in, I have learned a lot at Jcrew a lot multiple positions and departments, the management on second shift are very friendly and easy to talk to. the hardest part of the job is working until 11:30 but it is very easy
Pros
paid breaks, great benefits and healthcare
Cons
short breaks even though they are paid you only get two 20 min breaks, the heat because it is a warehouse its HOT
Stuck up Management!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJuly 18, 2017
I worked at a shopping center at a J. Crew outlet. They required you to wear J. Crew clothes that you had to buy with your own money. The management and employees were all incredibly stuck up.

A typical day involved stocking clothes and helping customers. They did play good music in the store.
Pros
Cons
Management, Employees
There are pros and cons
At Home International Client Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 16, 2017
J.Crew Call Centers are an excellent place to work if you're in school or just need extra work to supplement your income. Otherwise, you're looking at relatively low wages and little room for advancement.
Pros
lots of paid time off, nice cafeteria
Cons
low wages, little room for advancement
Great working enviorment with constant store traffic
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJuly 15, 2017
A typical Day at J.crew would consist of assisting customers with picking out certain items or ordering online. Working in with back stock is also another aspect of the job that I frequently do.
Repetitive work, negative "culture"
Returns Processor (Former Employee) –  Arden, NCJuly 13, 2017
Worked for the distribution center for almost two years. Day to day work is boring and very repetitive. This company harbors a negative "culture". Do not make a living wage, however, benefits are good (health and PTO). VERY FEW opportunities for advancement.
Fun and enjoyed working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 11, 2017
I enjoyed working here very much. the people I worked with made it a great working environment. Management was very knowledgeable in products and very understanding with employees
Comfortable, helping, expressing enviroment
Sales/Service Agent (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 11, 2017
Day in and out someone will always ask how your doing, offer help in any decision making. As well you have your empowerment to make decisions on your own in handling situations based on customer history with the company.
Not a place for advancement!
Store Director (Former Employee) –  New York StateJuly 8, 2017
Payroll cut to a skeleton crew due to company instability. Absolutely no room to grow. No celebrating successes and the lack of communication from corporate is terrible. If you want a job with no career advancement J crew is the place to be
Pros
Compensation isn't bad
Cons
Good for part time, but that's about it
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 7, 2017
Great job for anyone looking for part time work in a positive work environment. Cares a lot about their clients and employees but has little opportunity for growth within the company. The pay is decent for a part time job, but certainly not livable.
Pros
Work atmosphere, management
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement, full time only available for management
Sales/Service (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 3, 2017
Supervisors worked hard to keep spirits high when peak season rolled around, everyone is very friendly to each other.
Supervisors always have new incentives to try out.
Pros
Easy work, occasionally fast paced, lots of breaks, Convenient store in building.
Cons
Occasionally customers can wear you down when they are upset.
Great place to base a sales career.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wrentham, MAJune 29, 2017
A typical day at J. Crew involves folding clothes or selling them. I enjoyed selling the clothes more than anyone there. Management was very nice, they pushed a team atmosphere which I didn't believe helped the company make sales. Workplace culture was fairly agreeable they hire good mannered individuals. The hardest part of the job was letting someone else get credit for a sale I would make in the essence of a team. The most enjoyable part of the job was being the best salesman J. Crew had at their disposal. Selling was gratifying for me. Management did a great job overseeing and teaching their employees how to work for an outstanding clothing store.
Pros
Enjoyable Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons
No recognition for people who go out of their way to make sales for the company.
loved it at first but got tired of it
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 26, 2017
I started working with so many hours a week, I never got tired of it. the managers were right on top of everything. Now everything has changed, it is horrible. it is mandatory for the mangers to give you a 15 minute break no matter how much you work, but they dont, there is also always suppose to be a manager on the floor with you at all times but most of the time they are sitting in the office doing nothing. i started school so my schedule had to change and when i did the manager got mad. i expected to work at least 3-4 days a week 5-6 hours a day, but instead im only working 1-2 days a week and only 4 hours a day at most. you get unpaid time off, breaks are super short and just in general they company isnt even doing well. im glad i left.
Cons
short breaks, hours not so flexiber, unpaid time off, poor management.
Fun place
Supply Chain Lead (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 25, 2017
It is a fun place to be in and work. There has been a down turn recently as with all businesses, but they may turn around. Explore and enjoy your career here.
sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 23, 2017
I made sure that all of the customers walking into the store knew of our sales that we had going on that week/day. I organized and folded the merchandise and made the store look presentable, by cleaning and organizing.
Productive and Fun to work for
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Estero, FLJune 13, 2017
I learned how to work with many different people. I was able to interact with a variety of customers and I feel that it helped me with bettering my communication skills.
Fun place depending on which department
Customer Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 12, 2017
Some people are very beneficial to the company and know what they are doing. If you atr encouraged to move to another department, dont do it under pressure. If you are sick as well, make sure you verbally tell someone even if they can obviously see it, because they will just fire you and make something up. Jcrew is ok all in all.
J.Crew is an okay job.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 9, 2017
I liked working at J.Crew for the time that i was there but there are some cons of course. My cons are that you are doing the exact same thing over and over again everyday and you are standing in one place on concrete floors for 8 hours at a time. Now i dont have a problem with being on my feet but i would like to be moving around or something. Just standing in one spot for hours starts to do a number on your back and knees and not to mention your feet. If they were to change that, and give everyone something different each week or something i would definitely give them a 5 out of 5.
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLJune 7, 2017
Wonderful place to work. The management made this a fun place to work. I worked here during my summer and winter breaks for over a year while attending college.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J. Crew Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval