J. Crew Group, Inc.

J. Crew Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Boring
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Pleasant Prairie, WIJuly 19, 2015
The management were supportive and fun, but the job itself is very repetitive and monotonous. All I did was stand in place and serve food all day. However it was enjoyable to interact with my fellow students as I served them,
You better be a "yes man"
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAJuly 18, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Salary, management
As a supervisor, the operations managers expect you to say yes to all of what they say, regardless of if it is the wrong way to do things or if you think it could be done better. It's amazing how they promote within to the people that put on a good face, but don't have the slightest clue on how to make the business better.

When there was a management change back in 2013 that is when things went down hill, the new regime was definitely not my cup of tea. It was about who you knew not what you did. Gosh forbid you do one thing wrong or you get on their black list. This job can do a number on your stress points. If you want to work in a place where they like to point fingers at every wrong mistake, then this is where you need to go. Also, if you like meetings all the time about something that could be communicated in an email, then sure, go for it.
Great if you like call centers
BFA in Fashion Design (Former Employee), TexasJuly 16, 2015
Pros: 160 hours of paid time off is the only life saver
Cons: no advancement opportunity unless you're a specific demographic
There are no opportunities in Fashion Design outside of New York City (and potentially California). As a New York native and BFA in Fashion Design with New York fashion design experience, I can personally attest to the lack of opportunities for growth and advancement with this company that touts itself as a fashion brand. Granted I am definitely overqualified and I accepted a position in the company's call center (only due to geographic location), I personally spent 9 months watching un-degreed personnel advance and receive promotions while after a total of 5 positions I applied for, I have been denied advancement. Management and trainers are biased. If you are from a small town, or if you are a recent high school graduate, or if you are part of a specific demographic (which I choose not to address-you can determine what this is for yourself), you will excel. There seems to be a gang mentality whereby if you are not a part of the "crew" (I will allow you to define this "crew" for yourself), you will not receive much other than the most detestable phone calls from the most deplorable people-if you choose to work for a call center. After accepting employment, I was offered 19.5 hours of work. Then, the company will proceed to offer extra hours and minimal overtime hours to ensure that the staff works 6-7 days a week. After requesting full time status, the company offered 32 hours of work. Being a native of the fashion capitol of the world, and currently studying to earn a Master's degree in a STEM career, thankfully I am able to put the company in it's proper perspective, I am increasingly aware of what I have gotten myself into in that I have chosen to be a part of it.
productive
Packing, J Crew (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAJuly 12, 2015
j.crew is great wonderful job place i learned that working this job you have to work at a fast past the co-workers are very easy to get along with the hardest part about this job is that you have to work a fast past and you have to pack the right stuff i enjoyed working at this job
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Wonderful benifits
Cons: Short Breaks, strict guidelines
J Crew is a very busy place to work. I worked with wonderful people making the job rewarding. The hours are long during the holidays but the pay is good.
Dynamic yet competitive
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Good discount. Opportunity for summer internships with corporate
Cons: Few hours, struggling company, not team oriented
Management was generally great to work with, very encouraging of employees who want to grow.
Co workers were always friendly but sometimes had a hard time working as a team - each man for himself.
Since the company has been doing very poorly, hours are cut constantly. Hours in general are hard to come by in retail.
Working with customers had its ups and downs. I loved outfitting them and helping the tourists, but hated when customers had a child-like fit because we were out of the size she needed
Overall great experience
Personal Stylist (Current Employee), Garden City, NYJuly 7, 2015
Overall great experience, utilized my creative style to wardrobe clients.
Grew my business & reached my goals to aid in the profits of JCrew.
Ehh..
Sales Associate/Lead Sales Support (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 2, 2015
Not great, a job for high school kids. Didn't treat employees that great . Wouldn't work their retail again maybe their corporate.
J Crew
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2015
I have been working for J Crew for almost two years now. J Crew is a good company to work for. I have been fortunate enough to work with a great management team and I have never had any problems.
Fast pace and reactive store environment
Market Visual Merchandising Manager - Lead (Former Employee), Aventura, FLJune 27, 2015
My day started in a store with a merchandising walk through, analyzing the business and coming up with a game plan to get merchandising moves done in a timely manner. Before moves were done before/after photo's were taken for training and global use for training managers from a distance.
Best part of my job was being creative and coming up with solutions to presentations that could help the entire company. I enjoyed the people I worked with in the stores and being able to train in the moment. Hardest part of my job was trying to make an impact in 32 stores without being in them each day.
Productive and fun workplace
JR Project Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 25, 2015
Great company, laxed culture, great work/life balance, co-workers friendly, ample work. A combination of good people, culture, and work make this company an excellent prospect.
ok
Logistics Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2015
ok place to work. I liked the people and the work was challenging and rewarding at times. interfaced across multiple departments.
n/a
Merchandising Manger (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJune 12, 2015
J Crew is a great company to work for. A Great learning experience and a great place to build client relationships. If you live outside of New York or Chicago you will not be given an opportunity to grow or move up. The entire company is run off what happens in those two cities and not on a global scale.
Good group of folks
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VAJune 11, 2015
In my time at JCrew, I found everyone to work together extremely well. We were able to implement many terrific changes. I'll miss the place!
Sold half million dollars in one year and got a candy bar
Personal Shopper (Former Employee), Park City, UTJune 10, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: high pressure, low reward
I was a personal shopper at this store and sold half a million dollars worth of product in one calendar year. I received a hersheys candy bar with a hand written note from some corporate person. And the candy bar was broken.
A great temporary job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VAMay 31, 2015
Pros: 5 free 50% discounted items a month with a constant 30%.
Cons: Full time is 37, 5 hours (8 hour days minus a 30 min lunch), no set schedules or office space.
A typical day at work in the Call center is signing in to your phone and immediately getting a call from a customer who wants to return something from a year ago that has been worn out. This is a great temporary extra cash earning job around holiday seasons, but only few are retained after the season ends. End of year reviews stop in February and will take a roll over of negative information from the previous year, but no personal/sick time that wasn't used can be rolled over. Management has picked the people they want to advance and fill positions that open periodically, before posting said jobs. i know this review sounds more negative then positive, but this reviewer is stating fact not opinion. It really is a great place to work temporarily, and co-workers are like a tight knit family, but management seems a little out of touch and advancement or wage advance ment happens once a year and one bad section of your review can make or break whether you recieve a raise, no matter how well you exceeded expectations in other areas.
Great Place to Work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Durham, NCMay 31, 2015
This company strives to create a fun and energetic shopping environment and truly cares for both their customers and employees.
Fun Place To Work. Very good for students.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 27, 2015
My store has amazing management, and I think that can really make or break it. They're very fun during the day and flexible when it comes to hours -even if it's last minute.
The hard part is the daily promos and dealing with customer issues, but nothing too terrible.
Job advancement is accessible, but difficult if you want to move to corporate.
Pay and discount are great.
Productive and Efficient Enviroment to Work In
Team Leader (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VAMay 27, 2015
Typical day is supervising and managing the shipping department. Overseeing all employees and making sure trailers are shipped and dispatched on time. Supervising the transport of high valued packages to their appropriate destination. Utilize Microsoft Office extensively in conjunction with advance software that manages not only the shipping sorter but all packages that are processed through the shipping department.
Great team of experienced assoiciates and Great benefits and work life balance
Inbound & Returns Operations Manager (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VAMay 27, 2015
Great work life balance and excellent benefits. A lot of challenges and opportunities for process improvements but that is what makes it an interesting and fun for me, no day is ever the same.

1 2 3 4 5

About J. Crew Group, Inc.

J.Crew debuted in 1983 with the mailing of its first catalog. Six years later, we opened a flagship store at New York's South – Read more

J. Crew Group, Inc. Salaries