J. Crew Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Central Valley, NYAugust 29, 2017
Assisted associates in customer service
Cashier
Stock merchandise on the floor for the next day
Maintained a positive composure and outlook in a very high paced, high volume store
fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAAugust 29, 2017
JCrew had morning meetings to which they got all of us excited and ready for our day! Of course this was before they had 24 hours of service in the call center. During the Holidays they really pushed for sales, which was kinda odd for me at first however the sales we had were so good that the customers didnt mind the offers because they got their shopping done faster that way! lol.....
Pros
Awesome food in the cafe to which they served hot food
Cons
supervisors werent very helpful back then
Fast paced, ever changing enviroment
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2017
Currently no work/life balance. The culture has changed with the slumping retail market. The level of stress and insecurity is high and unfortunately can affect ones performance. I expect the company to get over this hump and eventually find some normalcy. I wish the best, there are still good people there.
Pros
Good Jcrew discounts
Cons
Rotating Management, lots of changes.
Call center
Email/Chat Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 27, 2017
It's your average call center job. However, you have the opportunity to move around to other teams that aren't always taking calls. I work for the email/chat team and we rarely take calls unless it's overflow. It's pretty simple. Get there on time. Do you job. Super friendly staff and coworkers. I've made some lifetime friends there. I still work here, and I'm only thinking about leaving because of pay.
Great start to your career in retail
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSAugust 24, 2017
As the operations manager, I was in charge of training on-boarding associates, stocking, some merchandising here and there, lots of back office work. Management was wonderful. They really delve into making sure you were properly trained. I managed a very close knit team.
Pros
Employee discount; Career advancement; bonuses.
Cons
Not enough vacation time.
Fun and Fast-Paced
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 24, 2017
The company redeveloped their "sales assciate" position into a "stylist" position in order to encourage a deeper customer-salesperson relationship. We are there to sell clothes, but we are trained and encouraged to use our passion for and knowledge of the J.Crew brand to tailor each customer's shopping experience to what they need. Our main goal is to send a client home with a piece/outfit that is high quality, but at a reasonable price. Additionally, our clients will love the pieces they bring home for years to come.
The management team at my location has a great dynamic and that flows into the dynamic with non-management team members as well. The positive relationships we all have as co-workers allows us all to more easily take advantage of the open-door poilicy. If there is any type of confusion or issue, we all feel comfortable connecting with our managers and team members to find a resolution.
Customers can sometimes be the hardest part of the job, but they can also be the most enjoyable part of the job. When a stylist and a customer are able to develop a connection while shopping, the experience can be effortless and extremely fun. Unfortunately, there can be some dissonance between a customer and stylist at times and that can lower the quality of the shopping experience. However, this creates an opportunity to team up with another stylist or manager in order to give the customer an ideal shopping experience.
Pros
Fun place to work, great managers, good discounts
Cons
Low pay, short shifts, low hours
Who you work with really matters
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2017
J crew provides fun and awesome products, some of the perks with discounts are pretty good. Just be aware that if you are looking for consistency, it is hard since they cut hours very spontaneously. Also, who you work with matters, if the dynamic is off then your energy to fulfill sales and deal with the attitudes of customers would be more of a drag since you have to deal with it from your fellow coworkers.
Pros
good discounts and deals
Cons
inconsistent scheduling and hours
Laid back
Support, J.Crew (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 23, 2017
Typical retail environment. Mostly handled cash register and sales floor. Only downside was not receiving commission when I assisted in sales. (I was Support and not "Sales" however I was constantly on the sales floor rather than the stock room.)
Pros
excellent discounts, easy, low stress
Cons
limited hours and advancement
Go fot it!
Sales and Service associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 22, 2017
Great job Great people great everything, I would definitely go back if I could. It's a family atmosphere that they emediatley drag you into because they are so welcoming
production
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAAugust 19, 2017
high and demand work place the especially around the peak season when orders have to be met by a deadline such as christmas holiday or mothers day specials
A very slow-paced working environment. Unable to made progress with the company due to poor pay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLAugust 10, 2017
This company has nice products but working for them is not something I would recommend. They pay you minimum wage and no commision. I did obtain free clothes for winning employee competitions.
Good place to Work
Visual Associate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 4, 2017
It's just a temporary job while I look for design jobs. I find it annoying that I get small 4 hour shifts, I'd rather have longer shifts and more of them.
Typical retail job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDAugust 2, 2017
All we really do is daily tasks to get ready for the next rollout, and tidy up the store, and help with customers. The job itself isn't bad, but the customers make it awful.
Pros
discount
Cons
bad customers, low pay, bad hours
College Student and First Time Working job
Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Arden, NCJuly 30, 2017
Not a bad place to work if you need something to support you while going to college or if you need your first job. Takes a while to advance in the workplace and when we do have raises its usually minor. Management on the Lead and Supervisor levels depending on the department are friendly and stay out of your hair when you know how to do your job comfortably and are usually nice folks. Not a place to forward any career or to dig in. Some decisions don't make any since, because people who haven't worked the floor in years or at all make a lot of the decisions. Eventually you will want to move on to better things.
Pros
Friendly environment, Cool hired on workers as well as temp workers, PTO benefits
Cons
Pay advancement(Raises), Policy changes, Career advancement, and days with low work loads
Basic job
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 29, 2017
A good job for beginners do not plan on making a lot of money here. The job is not guaranteed because the market is never steady. The company has wonderful vacation time and insurance.
Menial job with high stress
Operations Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 24, 2017
The job itself should be mindless and often is. However, management puts so much stress on employees so that mistakes are not made. It always seemed like no one wanted to be there as well as management hated everyone.
Negative culture, Poor leadership
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 18, 2017
Worked for the company for 5 years. They have a huge lack of training for management, and a high demand from all their employees. Given little hours for coverage and demanded to reach sales goals, while changing promotions, doing pages of markdowns, consolidations, shipment processing, scheduling, process in-store pick ups, process online orders (which they call enterprise sales), etc. it was a lose/lose situation. If you didn't accomplish those tasks, the leadership teams approach was fear mongering! Negative negative negative. Also, when does anyone even have time to take a break? With all the tasks and little sales coverage, you'd be lucky to sit for 15 minutes a day.
Pros
Benefits were decent. Salary started decent, though they put a cap on you in what they call a "geoband".
Cons
Everything else. Sweatshop working and negativity will cause you anxiety, stress, and your job isn't secure.
productive and fun work enviroment
Returns Processor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 18, 2017
very laid back in the department I'm in, I have learned a lot at Jcrew a lot multiple positions and departments, the management on second shift are very friendly and easy to talk to. the hardest part of the job is working until 11:30 but it is very easy
Pros
paid breaks, great benefits and healthcare
Cons
short breaks even though they are paid you only get two 20 min breaks, the heat because it is a warehouse its HOT
Stuck up Management!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJuly 18, 2017
I worked at a shopping center at a J. Crew outlet. They required you to wear J. Crew clothes that you had to buy with your own money. The management and employees were all incredibly stuck up.

A typical day involved stocking clothes and helping customers. They did play good music in the store.
Pros
Cons
Management, Employees
There are pros and cons
At Home International Client Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 16, 2017
J.Crew Call Centers are an excellent place to work if you're in school or just need extra work to supplement your income. Otherwise, you're looking at relatively low wages and little room for advancement.
Pros
lots of paid time off, nice cafeteria
Cons
low wages, little room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J. Crew Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.