J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College

J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College Employer Reviews

Good Place to Work
Adjunct Instructor in Psychology (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: working with students; having flexibility
Cons: adjunct faculty get lower pay for the same full-time work
This is a good place to work. It aims to serve all different types of learning. I prefer a community college versus a for-profit school.
Part-time employment discouraging
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Richmond VAApril 8, 2013
Pros: students
Cons: department chairs
I loved the students and the subject areas I taught. I did not feel valued or appreciated as an Adjunct Faculty. Their need to have more classes is understanding in the economy so they hire part time instructors. However, their lack of consideration towards full-time professionals is disheartening. I continuously had problems signing my contract each – more... semester due to their offices closing before I got off work, therefore I sometimes was not paid for months. The lack of support from the Dean of the department regarding the lack of professionalism and outright rudeness from the department chair led me to resign. I would be careful of who you work for at this college. If you hear negative things about a department look to another before starting to teach. – less
Customer Service, Productive, fast paced workplace
Admissions Specialist (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 11, 2013
A typical day at J. Sargeant Reynolds consist of speaking to people about attending the college or students that are already attending the college. Customer Service is a huge piece I sometimes have students where this community college is there last result & they want to give up or even irate parents/students thats not understanding the process & need – more... help. It is a team environment that is hands on at all times. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you helped someone in need & you have went above & beyond to get the job done. – less
the most enjoyable
Education Support Specialist (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 5, 2013
JSR is a good place to work, team oriented enviornment. The pros are helping student meet their educational goals and the winter break. Staff is awesome and work extremely hard.
Professional workplace and a enjoyable collegiate atmosphere.
Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Richmond, VADecember 8, 2012
Pros: great shifts available, terrific management, and a healthy working facility.
Helped maintain an efficient office environment, and provided administrative, secretarial and clerical support to others in the office.
Forward thinking
Regional Program Advocate (Current Employee), Richmond, VANovember 26, 2012
A progressive institute of higher learning designing and conducting Hybrid and Electric Vehicle technical training programs.
Potential for long-term Employment with JSRCC
Academic Advising Specialist (Current Employee), Richmond, Va.September 1, 2012
Pros: christmas breaks without using personal leave
Cons: state employees no raise in 5yrs!
In the Office of Student Affairs we are all considered to be the "Director of First Impressions" This is because we generally serve as the first point of contact for those with interest in attending the college. In light of that fact, often those who serve so diligently on the front end generally end up getting the short end of the stick specifically – more... in relation to summer vacation time, PAY for the actual hours worked and we are often viewed as easily replacable.

One of the hardest parts of the job is the fact that we bend over backwards for the students and THEY appreciate us (usually) but the administrators do not serve as an advocate for their hardworking employees. In our department we hire those with a college degree but we are hired in and paid in the range for someone with only a highschool diploma. This makes it very difficult to survive especially in a time when the entire country is in an economic crisis. Additionally, we have not had a cost of living pay increase in five (5) years.

However, I would say that the most enjoyable part of the job is participation with graduation and the students who appreciate you return to you regularly to thank you! I also love when students return to us and admit that we helped them reach thier goals either by offering support or guidance and direction that empowered them to succeed. They even bring us food or send cards regularly as a sign of appreciation. There is Nothing like the feeling of knowing you have made a true positive difference in someone's life! – less
Very positive and up beat nergetic office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), richmond, vaMay 24, 2012
I loved this job I worked at the school I was able to train other students and assist them with achieving their goals and advancing in their job search and with obtaining their GED.
Great people, great culture.
Library Associate I (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 6, 2012
I enjoyed my time at JSarge. My supervisor was very supportive, and the students were great. I would definitely return to this job.
I have enjoyed working with students, and faculty, and learning the IT program.
Computer Lab Aide/Lead Academic Computing Support (Former Employee), Downtown Campus/ Richmond, Va.December 23, 2011
Pros: working for the college, helps me to pay for classes also.
Cons: this will provide me with healthcare, and a study income, as well as and education.
Working in the computer lab has really defined me as a person. I look forward to assisting the students and faculty with issues pertaining to schedules and classes,FAFSA, and student loan information. Actually, assisting them helps me to become better trained in the field of advising.