J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Community College
Academic Computing Center Night Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 7, 2016
I love working for J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College. I would recommend this community college first to anyone that has a desire to go to a university to further their education. Staff, professors and administration is awesome!
Overall good company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2015
Good company, there are a few challenges when trying to advance but it is possible. Some departments have micro-management issues.
Pros
Company functions- very involved in thecommunity as well.
Cons
NA
Good experience
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 19, 2015
I have enjoyed teaching as an adjunct instructor for several years. I never considered teaching when I entered my career field, but I have had great instructors around me to help me learn. Now I enjoy teaching and hope to be involved with the school for many more years to come.
Paid to learn
Assist instructor (Current Employee) –  Goochland, VAMay 6, 2014
Assist instructor(s) with the hands on preparations for classes i.e.: installing physical / electrical faults in vehicles as well as removing those faults. Maintain fleet of school vehicles and update vehicle records. Assist with the maintenance of shop and tool room areas, keeping it clean and well organized. Installing / building / repairing various shop tools and equipment. Perform various administrative tasks.
I have enjoyed working with students, and faculty, and learning the IT program.
Computer Lab Aide/Lead Academic Computing Support (Former Employee) –  Downtown Campus/ Richmond, Va.December 23, 2011
Working in the computer lab has really defined me as a person. I look forward to assisting the students and faculty with issues pertaining to schedules and classes,FAFSA, and student loan information. Actually, assisting them helps me to become better trained in the field of advising.
Pros
working for the college, helps me to pay for classes also.
Cons
this will provide me with healthcare, and a study income, as well as and education.
Customer Service, Productive, fast paced workplace
Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 11, 2013
A typical day at J. Sargeant Reynolds consist of speaking to people about attending the college or students that are already attending the college. Customer Service is a huge piece I sometimes have students where this community college is there last result & they want to give up or even irate parents/students thats not understanding the process & need help. It is a team environment that is hands on at all times. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you helped someone in need & you have went above & beyond to get the job done.
Excellent collegial atmosphere where instuctors and administrators value student progress.
Adjunct Developmental English (Current Employee) –  Richmon, VAMay 17, 2014
I love working at J. Sargeant Reynolds's Community College. The administrators support instructional staff and highly value student needs and success. To date, I've experienced no administrative elitism. IT folks are wonderfully patient and helpful. I am thriving professionally and personally in such an atmosphere.

However, the major problem is that, like so many colleges for so many years now, adjunct teacher salaries that carry no health benefits are a great way to save money for the colleges themselves, and therefore, few full time opportunities present themselves. This situation does not provide me with a salary to support myself.
Pros
great atmosphere and quality of instruction.
Cons
low pay and no benefits.
Part-time employment discouraging
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Richmond VAApril 8, 2013
I loved the students and the subject areas I taught. I did not feel valued or appreciated as an Adjunct Faculty. Their need to have more classes is understanding in the economy so they hire part time instructors. However, their lack of consideration towards full-time professionals is disheartening. I continuously had problems signing my contract each semester due to their offices closing before I got off work, therefore I sometimes was not paid for months. The lack of support from the Dean of the department regarding the lack of professionalism and outright rudeness from the department chair led me to resign. I would be careful of who you work for at this college. If you hear negative things about a department look to another before starting to teach.
Pros
students
Cons
department chairs
Great People
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 1, 2014
I loved to work at Reynolds. I got to know a lot of really nice and diverse people including the staff, faculty and students. The atmosphere was great on the Parham campus. I had a lot of fun.
Pros
meeting new people and assisting those who really appreciated the help.
Cons
parents
Inflexible schedule. Poor work/life balance
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF NURSING (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 16, 2015
The organization, overall is great. The department is going through changes that don't allow for adequate work/life balance.
Productive and Hard-working
Work Stuides (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 14, 2014
I learned how to do customer service and how to truly communicate and help the students. I learned how to work under stressful conditions and situations. I learned how to be a team player and work within a family environment.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Cons
30 min. lunch breaks
Professional workplace and a enjoyable collegiate atmosphere.
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 8, 2012
Helped maintain an efficient office environment, and provided administrative, secretarial and clerical support to others in the office.
Pros
great shifts available, terrific management, and a healthy working facility.
Good Place to Work
Adjunct Instructor in Psychology (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2014
This is a good place to work. It aims to serve all different types of learning. I prefer a community college versus a for-profit school.
Pros
working with students; having flexibility
Cons
adjunct faculty get lower pay for the same full-time work
I was a bartender/ server
Dental Assisting Program, Lab (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 1, 2014
I was able to multi-task and interact with customers on a daily basis. This environment helped me to feel comfortable around people and make people feel at ease in any situation.
Very positive and up beat nergetic office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  richmond, vaMay 24, 2012
I loved this job I worked at the school I was able to train other students and assist them with achieving their goals and advancing in their job search and with obtaining their GED.
the most enjoyable
Education Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 5, 2013
JSR is a good place to work, team oriented enviornment. The pros are helping student meet their educational goals and the winter break. Staff is awesome and work extremely hard.
Love it
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 19, 2014
Teach face-to-face and online psychology courses
I have enjoyed teaching community college students and helping prepare them for 4-year universities
Pros
flexible schedule
Very flexible for people who work full-time
Associate of Social Science (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 16, 2014
Would go to work Mon-Fri from 8-5 and then pick up a few classes during the week from 6-10.
Pros
great for a working professional
Forward thinking
Regional Program Advocate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 26, 2012
A progressive institute of higher learning designing and conducting Hybrid and Electric Vehicle technical training programs.
Great people, great culture.
Library Associate I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 6, 2012
I enjoyed my time at JSarge. My supervisor was very supportive, and the students were great. I would definitely return to this job.

4.5