J.B. Hunt Employee Reviews in United States

it's a job
local intermodal driver (Former Employee) –  memphis'tnFebruary 24, 2016
to many politics in intermodal. lousy benefits and management in Memphis is a joke. long hours short pay. use to be alright until management changed.
Pros
Cons
pay, insurance, management
Great entry level job
Operations Supervisor, MBM Food Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Long hours, semi competitive compensation. No paid holidays unless your customer is off as well. limited upward mobility.
I love working at JB Hunt
Account Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARDecember 13, 2015
I have loved my time at JB Hunt. My co-workers and management are like family. I have leaned many ways to communicate with customers.
The hardest part is leaving this job, but being denied the privilege of being able to telecommute from another location has forced my resignation because of a move that I have to make.
Pros
Great benefits, great work enviroment.
Cons
Inability to telecommute
No work life balance
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Heavener, OKDecember 24, 2015
No work life balance for management at this company. Compensation is below national average with longer working hours. Advancement opportunities exist, but with advancement comes less work life balance
Cons
Compensation, work life balance
Stay away from the road service department.
Road Service (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 21, 2016
I worked in the road service department for 4+ years. Started out as a hourly MOC. You will be promised salary at a certain point but don't take it as a good thing. Whenever you go salary you get put on 10hr days and the raise doesn't cover the extra 10hrs you work a week. And then there is the management, specifically the MOC manager . He has some major anger issues, even to the point of bowing up to people and getting in there faces and screaming. If he doesn't like you he will get rid of you. They will load you down with enough work that you can almost handle then make you take breakdown calls from the drivers ruining any chance of getting your work done. Every day I was beyond mentally exhausted. You will be put in a cubical with a headset, a phone, and a computer with two monitors. The amount of multitasking you have to do every day just to stay not so far behind that they fire you is insane. I realized after moving up some in the department they viewed the road service guys and the MOC's kinda like slaves. They will run you into the ground for as long as they can and throw you out when you get to your breaking point in exchange for a fresh person. I left for a job paying much less but the stress relief was worth every penny. I would never work for this company again in any of there departments. If you are a MOC it is a pain to take days off. When you come back to work you are even further behind than you were before.
Pros
It put food on the table
Cons
Stress hurts life at home with your family. The managers, You can never do good enough.
Productive and fun work place, enjoyed working with my coworkers.
Logistics Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 13, 2015
I enjoyed my tenure at J.B. Hunt. It's opened up a lot of doors for me and I feel that this was a great company to start out working for. I learned some valuable information in regards to the supply chain & logistics industry that will stay with me forever. J.B. Hunt will continue to be an industry leader and I would recommend this company to anyone looking to start out in the transportation industry.
Pros
Free coffee, flexible hours, great work environment
Cons
Compensation, long hours, stressful
It was ok
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 6, 2016
It was an ok job. There is only advancement when you live in Arkansas. The benefits where not the greatest but where also not the worst.
Promotion if your in the click
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 20, 2016
10 hour days for 8 hour pay. management is very green in lower levels. Too many buddy buddy promotions.

Not much vacation until you reach 10 years
Pros
casual dress
Cons
no lunch, expected to be working 24/7 and answer phone all the time even on vacation.
long hours loading and unloading and installing appliances
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALOctober 26, 2015
its a ok company they run you to death and pay you average to decent.co workers are good management is management and is ok as long as you get the product of the truck they dont care what you gotta go through to get it done
Pros
there big on safety
Cons
long hours not enough compensation
Just another cog in the big machine
Georgia Pacific Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lowell ARJuly 21, 2015
With JB Hunt, they offer you a salary with promise of advancement, but the people making these promises actually have very little control over actual promotion. The good ole boy system is alive and well. I decided to make my departure from Hunt after working there for 18 months. I realized that a co-worker had been working at Hunt since the year I was born, and we had the exact same job. A relentless work ethic is almost demanded, with little reward unless you want to stick around for half of your life to get a middle management promotion. No thanks.
Pros
The largest PRO for a career at JB Hunt would be working with friendly professionals.
Cons
Limited upward mobility.
Suckkkkkkks
Jb hunt (Current Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJNovember 23, 2015
I would not recommend this job to anyone Long hours for little pay. Require to much and management sucks!!! Only thing that's good is the Benifits
Benefits
Cons
Long Hours for small pay. Management sucks
A great place to gain experience for new drivers.
Local Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2015
The management needs improvement. Dispatch needs improvement. Compensation by the hour would be ideal for a time consuming job such as working a JB Hunt. You're in and out of rail yards for various times in addition to traveling to the destination.
Pros
Well maintained equipment
Cons
Compensation.
is company to work for
Intermodal Driver (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 30, 2015
its nice place to work plenty of freight and the managers to can actually have conservation with they treat as equal as long as you don't disrecpt them
Pros
its what you make of it
Cons
benifits
Great place to work for overall
Regional Driver (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILOctober 30, 2015
Its like this in a nut shell if your looking for perfect buy your own truck....if your looking for an company to grow with this is it been driving for over six years been with jb hunt for an year now and its not bad its what you make of it you have the potential to make a decent pay check its if you want it basically
Pros
Good benefits...great staff
Cons
Slow trucks but...no speeding tickets less dot
Great career opportunity if you can handle the culture
PROGRAMMER (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARSeptember 17, 2015
Let's get this straight: I don't find the transportation industry the least bit interesting. It's mind-numbingly boring to me. So being a programmer here hasn't really struck my fancy.

PLENTY of red tape and politics, but I suppose this is expected of a big company. Management can be supportive, and they take a mostly hands-off approach.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unsatisfactory culture
1-10 j.b hunt gets an 8
drivers helper, loader (Former Employee) –  swedesboroSeptember 23, 2015
I was an ambient loader/unloader/drivers helper
the job is tough and requires sufficient effort but with patients it becomes quite fun. i wouldn't sleep to much because i became accustomed to my work schedule. i learned that the night shift is no place for the average human. the hardest part about j.b hunt was the drivers helper portion; when encountered plenty of problems on he road. the best part of the job was installing our appliances
Pros
learning how to install appliances
Cons
no benefits, under payed
Alot of changes need to occur in Management there, all over the Company. I have heard from several departments.
Desk Officer for JB Hunt Corporate Security (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARJune 27, 2016
A large Company that is hard to make an advancement in. This Company seems to strive more for family within family type of business. You will have a better chance of growing there if you have family in he company already. A lot of areas of Management here do not process good leadership or Management skills.
Pros
12 hour shifts, 1 week overtime week, No hassel from Manager, 1 hour lunches if desired and clock out, Or we can work lunch hour and get paid for it.
Cons
48 in advance to call in sick, do not get paid well for what we do, Our Manager has us do his work, The Manager does not stay up on taking care of what his people need.
Was a great internship
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 6, 2015
Was challenged daily to figure out how to solve problems with deliveries and making deliveries convenient for the customers
Pros
Free lunches ever so often
Cons
Compensation could have been better
Great 1st job
Intermodal Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 9, 2015
Great Company with good pay and benefits. The people in the office are good, management will go the extra mile to train and help you. The downside is that it is tough to get promoted.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
tough to get promoted
Great experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2015
Loved working with my fellow workers. Love the majority of the drivers. Had a great time there learning the Transportation field. Liked working with those in corporate. Great benefits and work hours. Would return if an opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Fast pace, challenges

2.9