J.B. Hunt Employee Reviews

When out on the road we do not have time to stop for lunch. We are over loaded and sometimes forced to stay out to finish our routes.
Driver installation specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverside, MIDecember 11, 2016
We cannot tell our families when we will be home due to our routes and being forced to stay out to finish our routes. Our routes are long and hard, but we do not receive any help or back up from management. It's a good company only because of the people you work with, being somewhere different everyday, meeting new people everyday. The benefits are not the greatest and unfortunately when you have question about them or the job itself you don't always get the answer your looking for. If something is unsafe, to hard to do for two people, wrong, you still receive no help.
Low Pay, Slow Trucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 30, 2016
Safety Conscious, Good Equipment, Low Pay, Slow Trucks, Great People. Note: Expect to see a doctor for a DOT Physical if more than two days is missed on the job. Good with offering recognition for time with company. Corporate office will mail a small box with certificate, patch and pin for each year of service and may offer a gift of choice if the year was completed without accident. Overall the CEO is only interested in enriching his pockets and the companies bottom line. I know drivers who have been there for years yet still live on a pauper's wage. If you want a pat on the back and a kick in the butt, go work for JB Hunt. And the truth shall set you free.
Pros
Large company with many options
Cons
Low Pay. Number 1 driver on yard but made only 38K
Good start for local experience
Commercial Intermodal Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2016
Like most experience drivers eventually understand that there is a vast difference between OTR vs local. Even though the relationship with dispatch was always edgy and the truck assignment was disorganized it is a decent place to get local experience, The part that was horrible with this guys is I remember spending 2 hours in the morning everyday especially winter looking for a truck then another hour for a trailer maybe longer and pay sucked because its per trip.
Horrible trucking company
Marketing Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 3, 2017
This company may becoming one of the biggest trucking companies in the US, but they do it by treating their employees and customers like garbage` There is always a problem with their trucks arriving late or showing up to the wrong location. They seem to be far behind with time on their software. Their attendance policy is retarted. I wouldn't ever work for this company again.
Good people
Senior Partnership Development Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARNovember 23, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with. It is definitely a family.The worst part of the job are the systems being used are a hindrance to performance. I've learned a lot over the years there. The direction of the company has veered off of the path of previous years. Some would say the change is good. Most people leave due to money.
Pros
Vendors onsite for lunch. Onsite workout classes
Cons
Pay, stress
Rarely fulfilling work with very corporate vibe
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 11, 2017
While the job was never too strenuous, that aided in the lack of accomplishment that it would give you when you left every day. It's a great place to work if you love the corporate atmosphere, but if you are wanting to do something exciting or fulfilling, I would recommend looking elsewhere.
Pros
good benefits, regular hours
Cons
corporate red tape, constant management changes
Low pay, great benefits, no miles, chasing trailers
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 12, 2017
First week was great, got nearly 4000 miles, after that it was down hill, average miles between 1500-1800 a week, too many live loads killing your clock and looking for empty trailers. Company shut down for three days during the holidays and did not inform me...I was stuck far from home for 3 days.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay, no miles, chasing trailers, lack of communication
Excellent company to work for
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 13, 2017
Enjoyed my time with J. B. Hunt - fantastic people, job surroundings, management. Great 11.5 years of my life. Worked independently on the payroll, billing, and reporting for the Walmart account for 8 years. Then spent the last 3.5 years as a finance analyst setting up
new accounts for new clients.
Pros
Great potential for advancement
Cons
Left company to move to Texas
okay place to work
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GANovember 5, 2016
I have been here about five months now , they have their ups and downs like any other company. miles are decent not the greatest. The only trouble I'm having with them now is them getting me home for my set home time , I remind them constantly the week before and constantly been getting home one to two days after .
Pros
xm radio, benifits
Cons
hometime, miles and unorganized at time
Opportunities galore, if you know how to find them.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARDecember 14, 2016
I feel as though I have grown up at J.B.Hunt, they have taught me developed me and shown me my own potential. I have enjoyed every minute of my ride thus far and wish I could one day retire from here.
Pros
Great Networking Opportunities
Cons
Not all Business Units communicate, causing an internal competition that can be discouraging.

Want to know more about J.B. Hunt?

Ask a question
Delivering and assembly appliances
Driver Helper/Installation Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 27, 2016
A typical day maybe thirteen stops all over San Antonio. I learned how to use a dolly more proficiently. I realize i am a lot stronger than i think. I really wasn't in close contact with management more close with the staff i worked with. Co-workers very experienced people who where knowledgeable about assembling house hold appliances. The hardest part of my job was doing apartments having to do the fourth and fifth floor with no elevator its ruff on the body. Most enjoyable part of my job seeing different parts of tx.
Pros
Money
Cons
Apartments
fun work place
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYSeptember 20, 2016
I am so sorry I had to leave j.b.hunt. the reason I had to leave was because I had a child that needed me home because of so personal problems he was having and I couldn't be safe driving for j.b.hunt while he was going through what he was going through. my mind was always on him and I knew it would affect my driving safely so I decided to quit with help from my councilor at the time. this company treated me excellent and I am sorry to have had left and hope they didn't think ill of me how I left. the people I worked made the time away from home not so bad lol a great bunch of people I worked with and the drivers. I found friends with some
Pros
always there for you
Cons
my leaving this company
Not a bad place to work
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Cranbury, NJOctober 18, 2016
The majority of the employees at JB Hunt are knowledgeable and courteous. The work hours are long, but the pay is fair. However, if you want to work on a various dedicated account that JB Hunt has with various customers, be prepared and expect that they could lose that account at any time under any circumstance due to contract disputes, negotiations, etc.
Amazing opportunity to get NYC driving experience
Tractor Trailer driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTSeptember 29, 2016
Hard work, at an average of 14 hour work days. Great place to learn how to use an electronic pallet jack, on the other hand horrible equipment especially for new comers, down right dangerous in my opinion. During my time at JB HUNT Windsor Locks, CT management was horrible, no respect for new drivers, very slow response time, they were not helpful at all when something went wrong with equipment on the road. Great mix of employees, from different cultures. A lot of Jamaican, and Spanish people, minority were American, Russian and Polish people. The hardest part of the job and most stressful is dealing with NYC customers and NYC traffic. Most enjoyable part was getting to work in the big city, delivering food to downtown Manhattan.
Pros
BBQ Grilling during summer days
Cons
Unhealthy BBQ Grill Food
This was not the type of job explained to me by JB Hunt Recruiter
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Harvey, MIAugust 28, 2016
Job is not hard but is fast paced. Your pay depends on your output. Job consist of delivering coal and stone to the Cleavland Cliffs Mines. The equipment is beat up and needs replacing. They are in the middle of contract renewal or extension talks so I kind of understand them not wanting to replace equipment yet.
Pros
Pay is not too bad as long as you produce
Cons
hours, recruiter either lied or didnt have correct info, work is 6 days a week
fun job, productive
ambient loader drivers helper (Former Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJDecember 21, 2016
i would come into work at 2:00am, our shuttle would be at j.b. hunt around 2:30am. apond arrival we would abstract appliances off of our shuttles. after that, we would put our appliances inside the warehouse or to its designated shuttle, for delivery.
Pros
not to much lifting
Cons
waking up at 120 am
Fast paced
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARSeptember 22, 2016
Answering phones, fielding questions, entering data. I learned a great deal about the trucking industry and all its moving parts. Management was tough but fair. Enjoyed all my coworkers. Hardest part......Working a seriously bad accident. Enjoyable part is working with good hardworking people.
Pros
I was able to build my knowledge base
Cons
Very high stress job
it was good for me
Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 6, 2017
It was ok except there a couple of driver managers
Who don't have what it takes to work with drivers
This is not just my opinion also other drivers
In short they think they are more than the driver.
Cons
there are some driver managers never been in a truck but they think they now more than the driver.
Intermodal driver
Tractor Trailer Driver (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAOctober 31, 2016
Intermodal driver is easy dry van transport to shipping/receiving centers, no touch freight, and close proximity runs. Sometimes work loads can run you between 10 to 12 hours a day and sometimes earlier. Better treatment than the DCS accounts overall I feel. Pay varies by terminal locations
bad eqipment , you just a number
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARDecember 6, 2016
I had a bad work experience , I was just a number, didn't care about me as a driver cared more about the load.

I was put in an unsafe truck that had lots of issues, but was told to remain in the truck.

They micro managed me, it was really stressful at times.

It was just a bad experience all around.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.B. Hunt. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9