J.B. Hunt Employee Reviews

When out on the road we do not have time to stop for lunch. We are over loaded and sometimes forced to stay out to finish our routes.
Driver installation specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverside, MIDecember 11, 2016
We cannot tell our families when we will be home due to our routes and being forced to stay out to finish our routes. Our routes are long and hard, but we do not receive any help or back up from management. It's a good company only because of the people you work with, being somewhere different everyday, meeting new people everyday. The benefits are not the greatest and unfortunately when you have question about them or the job itself you don't always get the answer your looking for. If something is unsafe, to hard to do for two people, wrong, you still receive no help.
Amazing opportunity to get NYC driving experience
Tractor Trailer driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTSeptember 29, 2016
Hard work, at an average of 14 hour work days. Great place to learn how to use an electronic pallet jack, on the other hand horrible equipment especially for new comers, down right dangerous in my opinion. During my time at JB HUNT Windsor Locks, CT management was horrible, no respect for new drivers, very slow response time, they were not helpful at all when something went wrong with equipment on the road. Great mix of employees, from different cultures. A lot of Jamaican, and Spanish people, minority were American, Russian and Polish people. The hardest part of the job and most stressful is dealing with NYC customers and NYC traffic. Most enjoyable part was getting to work in the big city, delivering food to downtown Manhattan.
Pros
BBQ Grilling during summer days
Cons
Unhealthy BBQ Grill Food
jb hunt
Intermodal Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CADecember 23, 2016
Generally the same duties for operational job. Management was nice, hardest part of job was driving to work, co workers made work enjoyable. The only cons I can say was room for advancement, and pay
Pros
Great culture, great experience, foot in the door
Cons
pay, advancement
Rarely fulfilling work with very corporate vibe
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 11, 2017
While the job was never too strenuous, that aided in the lack of accomplishment that it would give you when you left every day. It's a great place to work if you love the corporate atmosphere, but if you are wanting to do something exciting or fulfilling, I would recommend looking elsewhere.
Pros
good benefits, regular hours
Cons
corporate red tape, constant management changes
Great place to start a career
Client Services Tech/Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARSeptember 26, 2016
J.B. Hunt is a good place to work and start or career or to jump start another. They will take the time to train in new positions.
Pros
Cons
Compensation
Excellent company to work for
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 13, 2017
Enjoyed my time with J. B. Hunt - fantastic people, job surroundings, management. Great 11.5 years of my life. Worked independently on the payroll, billing, and reporting for the Walmart account for 8 years. Then spent the last 3.5 years as a finance analyst setting up
new accounts for new clients.
Pros
Great potential for advancement
Cons
Left company to move to Texas
Alot of changes need to occur in Management there, all over the Company. I have heard from several departments.
Desk Officer for JB Hunt Corporate Security (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARJune 27, 2016
A large Company that is hard to make an advancement in. This Company seems to strive more for family within family type of business. You will have a better chance of growing there if you have family in he company already. A lot of areas of Management here do not process good leadership or Management skills.
Pros
12 hour shifts, 1 week overtime week, No hassel from Manager, 1 hour lunches if desired and clock out, Or we can work lunch hour and get paid for it.
Cons
48 in advance to call in sick, do not get paid well for what we do, Our Manager has us do his work, The Manager does not stay up on taking care of what his people need.
Diversity and empowerment is part of the culture
Substance Testing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJuly 29, 2016
There are many opportunities with JB Hunt. Work hard and be willing to be educated, there is plenty of opportunity for advancement and empowerment.
Pros
Education, Consistency, and Opportunity
Cons
Management strict regarding timeclock in unnecessary ways.
Overall I enjoyed the work i was doing as a driver, but very poor management.
CDL Driver - Class A (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 5, 2017
Bluntly put, management was dishonest and manipulative. The work was easy but I had to put in a lot of 14 hour days with just a 10 hour break to make a living.
Pros
Decent pay. Easy work.
Cons
Management. Long hours.
Low Pay, Slow Trucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 30, 2016
Safety Conscious, Good Equipment, Low Pay, Slow Trucks, Great People. Note: Expect to see a doctor for a DOT Physical if more than two days is missed on the job. Good with offering recognition for time with company. Corporate office will mail a small box with certificate, patch and pin for each year of service and may offer a gift of choice if the year was completed without accident. Overall the CEO is only interested in enriching his pockets and the companies bottom line. I know drivers who have been there for years yet still live on a pauper's wage. If you want a pat on the back and a kick in the butt, go work for JB Hunt. And the truth shall set you free.
Pros
Large company with many options
Cons
Low Pay. Number 1 driver on yard but made only 38K
Open road freedom
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 3, 2017
At J.B. Hunt I have the opportunity to see a lot of the country. It is like I am a traveling musician going from state to state, and city to city non-stop.
A typical day at work starts with: a quick breakfast to secure well needed energy for a 6-8 hour drive stretch before (lunch) break, a cool 3 minute walk to prevent stiffness, and hygiene at truck stop facility. After that I perform a pre-trip inspection, tug test and break test. I check for any delays in times as well as city traffic on routes that I may drive and begin the 11-hour journey and see how far I can get in that run.
Management is so cool. They are my life lines when situations occur. Always willing to help. The hardest part of my job is sleeping comfortably in inclement weather. If its not cold enough I freeze due to tractor temperature idle regulations. The most enjoyable is driving because I love doing that, and being able to do it for a living is a plus.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Parenting/ home sick
Great place to work!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  IowaDecember 7, 2016
JB Hunt is a great place to work and with hard work and determination you can advance quickly in the company. Compensation is great but more importantly they make sure your home/work life is balanced.
I envied the janitors while at work
Night/Weekend Manager (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARNovember 25, 2016
Operations/Dispatch
The company may do well due to its intermodal expansion in recent years, but that added revenue will never find you.
The employee turnover rate is so high, I'd train 4 different people in as many weeks because they'd quit after only a brief exposure to the company. I'd have joined them if I had any options at the time.
This turnover seems mostly due to the monotonous work, overbearing and yet,somehow, ineffective management, poor pay, and catastrophic work/life balance.
Simply visit salary.com or glassdoor to compare the pay with similar jobs, and that tells the story.

Many of my fellow employees were normal, great folks to work with. However, due to the outdated management who were set in the job, the Operations department suffered a huge free-rider problem: good employees will do most of the work, while slackers on their phones or chit-chatting or doing essentially nothing are not reprimanded or corrected, so they continue to do nothing, while the hard workers do everything. (No, this does not work itself out later when raises or promotions are considered, because JB Hunt doesn't do that, not in any meaningful sense).

I wasn't being snarky with my title. There were so many days I'd wish I could just vacuum the carpets and wipe the windows with the janitors then sit in my cubicle taking 127 phone calls from screaming, cussing, disrespectful drivers, who I'm genuinely trying to help, and must listen to every foul thing they want to dump on me. But to some degree, they saw me as JB Hunt, and if you're a CDL holder reading this, such voluminous amounts
  more... of visceral discontent every day should provide some indication of your counterparts opinions on their current employer.

You'll read many reviews that speak about JB Hunt losing its top talent due to its various deep-seeded problems, some I listed above. To put my experience in that light, I did consider, and many others considered me one of the very best employees in the Operations department. Nothing from management would suggest that though, because like others have said, you're just a number, a cog. I decided to go the way so many others smartly went, and found a different employer. So, from misery, despair, and 11 dollars an hour, I now have purpose, hope, and 83K a year.

There are better options for jobs out there.

And you deserve a good job.

So go ahead and see if maybe there's another option on those job postings before you select the black and yellow JB Hunt icon.
Pros
Proximity to my home.
Cons
The big three:Pay, work/life balance, absent/ineffective and out of date management
Delivering and assembly appliances
Driver Helper/Installation Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 27, 2016
A typical day maybe thirteen stops all over San Antonio. I learned how to use a dolly more proficiently. I realize i am a lot stronger than i think. I really wasn't in close contact with management more close with the staff i worked with. Co-workers very experienced people who where knowledgeable about assembling house hold appliances. The hardest part of my job was doing apartments having to do the fourth and fifth floor with no elevator its ruff on the body. Most enjoyable part of my job seeing different parts of tx.
Pros
Money
Cons
Apartments
Productive and fast paced, great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJuly 21, 2016
I learned a lot working here, I believe they could do better at training and explaining company policies by the book instead how workers interpret them. I learned so much about organization, computer skills, and time management.
Pros
Paid time off, 401k and great health insurance
Cons
you are easily replaceable
Great opportunity for advancement. Poor work/life balance
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 5, 2016
If you're willing to relocate, opportunities are endless. JB Hunt is all about the driver, so don't get discouraged when your concerns/priorities are put to the side.
Pros
Great people to work with in the office. Excellent management
Cons
poor work/life balance, too much focus on driver and not on managers.
Low pay, great benefits, no miles, chasing trailers
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 12, 2017
First week was great, got nearly 4000 miles, after that it was down hill, average miles between 1500-1800 a week, too many live loads killing your clock and looking for empty trailers. Company shut down for three days during the holidays and did not inform me...I was stuck far from home for 3 days.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay, no miles, chasing trailers, lack of communication
Great growth opportunities
Intermodal Logistics Planner (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 2, 2016
JB Hunt is a company that allows you to get promoted very quickly, but you have to put in the work to get there. If you work harder than your peers, show more dedication and organization skills, you will be on the fast-track. Transportation is a very "black and white" industry, so if you are looking for a creative environment, this is not the place for you. Having said that, this a role with a lot of management opportunities within your first role, allowing a lot of room to bring your own ideas into play.
Pros
The PEOPLE
Cons
The best safety culture I've ever been exposed to!
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2016
I love JB Hunt, and have since my first day of orientation as a driver. They believe in Safety and direct, coach & encourage each employee to follow the proven path that's been laid before them. I've had the pleasure of bringing new drivers into our company and watching their reactions when we tell them "Welcome Home!", and then prove we mean it with the benefits, the equipment, the support and the encouragement to keep family first, as JB always had.
Pros
Outstanding benefit options, well maintained and late model equipment, knowledgeable coworkers
Shorter Hours
Logistics Coordinator Atlanta (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 19, 2016
Company culture is stuck in the 80s, with 10 hour work days required at all levels of leadership there is minimal work/life balance
Pros
Cons
bad healthcare and benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.B. Hunt. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9