J.B. Hunt Employee Reviews

jbhunt
Arkansas- Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARDecember 1, 2016
Jb Hunt is a great place to work, great atmosphere with a lot to offer, family oriented company, team activities for all
casual work place with casual Fridays
just ok
CDL Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Chester, NYNovember 30, 2016
its a job you go to work then go home. you are on the road all the time. 3 loads a day. they unload your truck most of the time.dispatchers are a pain in the but like always
Good start for local experience
Commercial Intermodal Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2016
Like most experience drivers eventually understand that there is a vast difference between OTR vs local. Even though the relationship with dispatch was always edgy and the truck assignment was disorganized it is a decent place to get local experience, The part that was horrible with this guys is I remember spending 2 hours in the morning everyday especially winter looking for a truck then another hour for a trailer maybe longer and pay sucked because its per trip.
Fun
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 28, 2016
I learned at j.b. hunt that you have to be patient with just about every thing and let things come to you and it was a lot of traffic.
Fast-paced and fun company to work for
Utilization Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARNovember 27, 2016
Overall experience of J.B Hunt was great. It was a healthy working environment with endless learning and career opportunities. I enjoyed my team of coworkers and the environment of the workplace as well.
I envied the janitors while at work
Night/Weekend Manager (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARNovember 25, 2016
Operations/Dispatch
The company may do well due to its intermodal expansion in recent years, but that added revenue will never find you.
The employee turnover rate is so high, I'd train 4 different people in as many weeks because they'd quit after only a brief exposure to the company. I'd have joined them if I had any options at the time.
This turnover seems mostly due to the monotonous work, overbearing and yet,somehow, ineffective management, poor pay, and catastrophic work/life balance.
Simply visit salary.com or glassdoor to compare the pay with similar jobs, and that tells the story.

Many of my fellow employees were normal, great folks to work with. However, due to the outdated management who were set in the job, the Operations department suffered a huge free-rider problem: good employees will do most of the work, while slackers on their phones or chit-chatting or doing essentially nothing are not reprimanded or corrected, so they continue to do nothing, while the hard workers do everything. (No, this does not work itself out later when raises or promotions are considered, because JB Hunt doesn't do that, not in any meaningful sense).

I wasn't being snarky with my title. There were so many days I'd wish I could just vacuum the carpets and wipe the windows with the janitors then sit in my cubicle taking 127 phone calls from screaming, cussing, disrespectful drivers, who I'm genuinely trying to help, and must listen to every foul thing they want to dump on me. But to some degree, they saw me as JB Hunt, and if you're a CDL holder reading this, such voluminous amounts
  more... of visceral discontent every day should provide some indication of your counterparts opinions on their current employer.

You'll read many reviews that speak about JB Hunt losing its top talent due to its various deep-seeded problems, some I listed above. To put my experience in that light, I did consider, and many others considered me one of the very best employees in the Operations department. Nothing from management would suggest that though, because like others have said, you're just a number, a cog. I decided to go the way so many others smartly went, and found a different employer. So, from misery, despair, and 11 dollars an hour, I now have purpose, hope, and 83K a year.

There are better options for jobs out there.

And you deserve a good job.

So go ahead and see if maybe there's another option on those job postings before you select the black and yellow JB Hunt icon.
Pros
Proximity to my home.
Cons
The big three:Pay, work/life balance, absent/ineffective and out of date management
Good people
Senior Partnership Development Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARNovember 23, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with. It is definitely a family.The worst part of the job are the systems being used are a hindrance to performance. I've learned a lot over the years there. The direction of the company has veered off of the path of previous years. Some would say the change is good. Most people leave due to money.
Pros
Vendors onsite for lunch. Onsite workout classes
Cons
Pay, stress
I worked for them four times over a period of about 7 years.
Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARNovember 22, 2016
A good company to work for. No complaints. I worked for them a few times and always kept a clean driving record so they were always willing and still willing to hire me.
Great Place to work at
Truck Driver-CDL (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 17, 2016
Depending on what account you work for its not a bad place at all. I really enjoyed working on a Home Depot account but now that i transferred to inter-modal in Chesapeake Va im not enjoying it as much anymore since i dont have weekends off anymore
Not good company for over the road mileage.
CDL CLASS A DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARNovember 16, 2016
The best accounts to work for in this company is the dedicated or Intermodal. You will not make a lot of money if you work for them over the road. The mileage is low.
loved truck driving
OTR TRUCK DRIVER for USA (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARNovember 16, 2016
I really enjoyed driving and seeing different parts of the world, meeting new people in every city and state was a plus. Hardest part of this job was waiting on dispatch.
Pros
peace and tranquility
Cons
not enough miles
Great pay, Great enviornment
Dedicated Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 9, 2016
Great place to work. Management on my account was the best. Equipment isn't well maintained. Plenty of opportunities for home time. Pay was excellent.
okay place to work
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GANovember 5, 2016
I have been here about five months now , they have their ups and downs like any other company. miles are decent not the greatest. The only trouble I'm having with them now is them getting me home for my set home time , I remind them constantly the week before and constantly been getting home one to two days after .
Pros
xm radio, benifits
Cons
hometime, miles and unorganized at time
Work place was good, good environment to be in.
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYNovember 3, 2016
Working for this company was pretty good, good working environment. Very friendly employees. Only problem was finding hours. Having a 2 year old daughter it just wasn't cutting it.
Stabile enviroment
AREA SERVICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARNovember 2, 2016
Face paced but not overwelming for someone willing to learn. On job training available as well as tuition reimbursement. If you don't like talking on the phone or looking at a computer all day this job may not be for you.
Intermodal driver
Tractor Trailer Driver (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAOctober 31, 2016
Intermodal driver is easy dry van transport to shipping/receiving centers, no touch freight, and close proximity runs. Sometimes work loads can run you between 10 to 12 hours a day and sometimes earlier. Better treatment than the DCS accounts overall I feel. Pay varies by terminal locations
Friendly environment to work in
Local Port Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  South Gate, CAOctober 29, 2016
JBHUNT TRANSPORT, is one of the best company to work for, even though they are a big company they make time to cater to there employees, everyone is like a happy family.
Pros
Free lunch and birthday gift cards
Cons
Med and free life insurance
It's a driving job
Dedicated Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHOctober 24, 2016
Management don't care about its workers and don't know what they are doing. They have never drove a semi but try to tell you how to drive it. Takes you in the office, gives you a father and son talk with no experience being 24 years old, and don't pay you for the 4 hours it took.
New equipment
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AROctober 19, 2016
Will be with best in transportation industry.Constent miles within their customer base, year round employment within the seasonally business cycle.
Pros
Paid or orantation
Not a bad place to work
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Cranbury, NJOctober 18, 2016
The majority of the employees at JB Hunt are knowledgeable and courteous. The work hours are long, but the pay is fair. However, if you want to work on a various dedicated account that JB Hunt has with various customers, be prepared and expect that they could lose that account at any time under any circumstance due to contract disputes, negotiations, etc.