J.B. Hunt

J.B. Hunt Employer Reviews

view of company varies depending on the Division
Carrier Sales Manager (Current Employee), Lowell, ArAugust 19, 2014
Long hours, never just 7-5
upper management sets unrealistic expectations with little to no tools to achieve
Whiplash expectations
stressful
Can never believe what you are told by upper management
Good
Driver/Operator (Current Employee), South Gate CaliforniaAugust 12, 2014
Very productive place to work for and that's what I do. ( A Trucker) so good to do something that I love.
Over worked stressful environment
Fleet Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: benefit package
I work very hard great team player never time for lunch so long hours without food. Very busy business under staffed high turn over
HORRIBLE!!!
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: none!!!!!!!
Cons: management, pay, miles, oh did i mention-management!
STAY AWAY!!! This is a horrible place to work. Management feels like they know everything and wont listen to a word the truck driver says, even when the truck driver is right.

Never work for Harrisburg, PA intermodal. They promise $1,000 take home pay and I only make half that! They promise loads and we cant get any! Again, management doesn't want – more... to hear what you have to say. I get written up all the time for minor stuff. Also a VERY unethical company! – less
Good Company
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 4, 2014
Pros: decent pay incentives & work schedule (4 days on 3 off)
Cons: short lunch break
Decent pay, work schedule, Poor Lunch breaks (lack of time to leave facility) Poor Lower level management interfers or threathen by prospective technicians
Descent company
Truck driver/ Route Distribution (Current Employee), Wilmer, TXAugust 4, 2014
They did allow me to advance and learn the ropes as a new driver, but was just a little unorganized.
no pay raises
CLASS A CDL DRIVER (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 4, 2014
Pros: easy work, just bump docks, drop n hooks
Cons: no pay raises, low compensation, long hours
I still work for JB hunt, but I am looking for another job. I've talked to other jb hunt drivers that have been working here in Houston for 6-7 years and no one has got a pay raise. I'm sure the company has charged more for freight during the last 6 years, but I think the profits go to the share holders, not the drivers.
Not bad
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Winlock, WAJuly 29, 2014
I enjoy the job, just not the time away from home. The recruiter said it would be 1-2 nights away per week, in reality it is 3-4 night on a regular basis.
Ups and Downs
Driver (Current Employee), HoustonJuly 27, 2014
Cons: as a driver they provide very poor eye insurance.
Expected to work many hours 14 + daily in an environment that is very physically demanding then drive for 30 mins to 2 hours at a time the pay could be better then what is provided. FMS tries to be a jack of all and a master but fails at both.
over all not a bad place to work.
Class A Truck Driver (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 25, 2014
not much to say, i know i can do better. i need to work for a compine that takes care of its drivers.
Unproductive and difficult place to work.
Operations Service Manager (Former Employee), Lowell, ARJuly 24, 2014
Cons: unstable in truck division
I would not recommend to anyone. Most jobs are dead end with zero chance of promotion.
General Manager
GM (Former Employee), United StatesJuly 23, 2014
Pros: people and opportunities
Cons: work/life balance
Good people. Difficult Work/Life balance. Good opportunities for advancement. If you are willing to move then you will have a greater opportunity for advancement. Upper Managment is
Dedicated driver (Current Employee), Olive Branch,MsJuly 22, 2014
Pros: easy work good home time
Cons: home time could be better
I am on a dedicated account. Easy work. Pick up pre-loaded trailer get multi stops off then return back to shipper. Good pay for a DC account. 48/52k a year. Paid holidays and you can split your vacation time up. Don't have to take all vac. time at once. Acct. manager is great. You do your job he will work with you to help you anyway he can. Best dispatcher – more... I have ever had!!! Home Friday back out Sunday. Get home during the week some. – less
Starter Company only
Driver (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 21, 2014
Pros: above average pay
Cons: inept/inexperienced mgt, not truthful
I drove for this company for 4 months then left. I was hired for a SE Regional act then a dedicated act. I was told I would be home at least once a week on the Regional and every weekend on the dedicated account.

The first hint of trouble was at orientation. A team that was hired for a specific account was told 4 days in that there was no job at that – more... account but they could "go over the road". Bait and switch in action.

When finally getting a truck for the Regional I was in Ohio, OK, TX. I don't think those are SE but you go where the freight ends up. What was not ok was my not being home as promised. I complained after a couple of times and my "mgr" told me "what are you complaining about, you were home for 8hrs yesterday". Oh, ok.

When I transitioned to a dedicated account I was told I would be home every Friday night and go out every Monday morning for one customer. Did not happen. After the 3rd Saturday waiting in a terminal to re-power a load I asked what happened to the weekend home thing? "We never told you that". Ok, the next week was a holiday and on the Friday they wanted me to go to a terminal and deliver a load 500miles away for Saturday. I objected and told them I'd had enough. Spent 1/2hr trying to give my mgr and his boss a 2 week notice, finally got fed up and quit on the spot and told them I'd return the truck to the terminal I picked it up at which was also where they wanted me to go to pick that load up. I was threatened with arrest for stealing a truck and then would be blackballed in the industry. I said ok, you are going to have me arrested for returning the truck to the location you are sending me to? I'll just leave the truck here in the truckstop as I don't want to be arrested for anything. Qualcommed the entire episode and said I wanted to speak to both of the men's boss as I didn't care to be yelled at and threatened. They apologized immediately and I returned the truck to the terminal and left it cleaner than when I picked it up.

Very unsatisfactory dealings with this companies management. I never got the feeling that they knew what was going on or that my immediate supervisor cared or had training to deal with people at all. I sure know that he did not have any experience in the industry.

The pay for the miles driven and the type of freight I moved was quite good but it could not overcome the shortcomings. I have over 20yrs in the industry with several million safe miles so this was not my first rodeo. I can recommend this company for a new driver who needs micro management and someplace to get his/her feet wet and who just wants to put down miles for the experience. As for anyone else, I can not recommend them unless you sign up specifically for a dedicated account and stay on that account. – less
good miles
Professional Truck Driver (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 16, 2014
Pros: miles and home time
Cons: no comment
good miles and home time. You pick your week days to work. Equipment is decent and pay as well
Pleasant
TRANSPORTATION COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Springdale, ARJuly 15, 2014
Pleasant place to work and I loved all the people I worked with, was sad to see them close down
enjoyed working with this company
Down Stacker/Crew Leader (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 12, 2014
a typical day at work was working in a warehouse with other team members making sure to complete orders in timely and safe fashion. i was able to walk away from this job with the found skill of working with a hydraulic jack. my coworkers and managers were very nice to work with. the hardest part of the job was not able to work more hours. the most enjoyable – more... was forming a bond with my supervisor – less
Highly recommended
Intermodal Fleet Manager (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2014
This is a great company to work for and promotes from within. It has a good corporate culture and outstanding benefits.
Productive and Mature Work place
Local Driver (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: i love the paid time off program you accumulate hours every week
Cons: healthcare to high need a better rate plan
A typical day would consist of going in and out of the
rail yards and dropping off containers to customers.

Managers on night shift are great

The job is laid back as long as you do your part.
Cubicle work environment
ICS Flatbed Operations Broker (Current Employee), Lowell, ARJuly 9, 2014
Pros: free lunches time to time, holidays off
Cons: management, too enclosed
7 am - 5pm workdays, Monday- Friday.

Sit in a cubicle for 9+ hours

Management is not the best... could use a bit more construction. Micro managing is a huge thing.

Hardest part of the job is details. Have to pay a lot of attention to detail. One mistake can jeopardize a huge part of the project.

About J.B. Hunt

J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. (JBHT), incorporated on August 10, 1961, is a holding company. The Company provides a range – Read more