J.B. Hunt

J.B. Hunt Employer Reviews

Loved the management
Transportation Representative (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAMay 8, 2014
Worked at the San Ramon branch, northern California.
My managers and directors were amazing and the company culture is stellar. Pay is not so good by there is opportunity for growth.
Lots of mileage, detention, pay discrepancies
Driver (Current Employee), Elwood ILMay 8, 2014
Pros: safety
Cons: pay, pay pay
Based out of Elwood Home Depot account. Our mileage starts 15 miles away in Romeoville IL so our mileage is short by 30 miles everyday. Often paid miles much shorter than driven miles, sometimes short by 1/2. Recently drove a run for 176 miles and received 72 miles in pay. Detention often not paid, especially detention that cannot be billed to Home – more... Depot ie waiting for dispatch/ paperwork.
JB Hunt has always had a bad reputation for pay and they live up to it.
Company is good about safety now that they are self insured.
Use them as a in between jobs bridge and have a quick exit plan! – less
Job
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 6, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: .............
Good job great pay at times...............................
Not bad
Driver/Lumper (Former Employee), Yorktown, IN/ Chicago, ILApril 30, 2014
Pros: compensation pays always paid, home time
Cons: nothing worse than a typical tucking co.
There are a lot of perks to this company, the pay is great and depending on the account you are on great home time, and you will get all of your comp pays such as lay over breakdown detention etc. Now for the bad never in 2+ years employment have I met a driver who didn't whine about everything lol, the driver managers are a joke most of them have never – more... seen a truck till the started working for JB, they are good about getting you the miles but for not being forced dispatch they sure force you to take any load they push on you, and usually the loads are already late when dispatched or you'll have about 1 hour to deliver or pick up 3 hours away, that being said a great company to work for since all the bad is not as bad as most trucking companies out there, and there are way worse companies – less
Are you joking?!?!?
installation specialist (Former Employee), DenverApril 29, 2014
Offered a job, then told I had to go to Texas for training for 6 days. Thats just plain stupid. Especially when I've been an installer for over 20 years.
j.b. hunt doesn't want truck drivers to work for them
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Lowell, ARApril 28, 2014
Pros: hometime
Cons: poor safety attitude poor administrative staff and manegment
I had many safety concerns and when I voiced my concerns I was ignored , and when I persisted and eventually fired over a forced dispatch overweight load.
very unsafe company with a 62 mph governor and a bendix wingman system that just adds to reasons for them to fire you

dilapidated equipment their main concern is money not safety.
Good company to work for and nice management.
Company Truck Driver (Former Employee), Stockton, CAApril 23, 2014
Good benefits and good home time easy job. Good company to work for and nice management.
Hardest company ever worked for!
Regional Intermodal Driver (Former Employee), Haslet, Tx. Rail & Garland, Tx RailApril 19, 2014
Pros: good driver safety training.
Cons: they treat u like a child! low pay!
Was Intermodal Driver ran out of Haslet, Tx. Home most weekends. No touch freight! Low pay! Company worked harder at trying to write me up than anything else! When truck went in for service had to get my stuff out of it & get into older truck piece of junk! Will never work for this company again!
High Turnover and Injuries
Local Class A Driver (Former Employee), Wilmer, TXApril 17, 2014
Pros: well maintained trucks
Cons: long hours
JB Hunt does not take care of their employees. They will work you like a dog until you quit or get injured. If you get injured their insurance will not pay for your recovery. Nor do they have Workers' Comp Insurance.
Accout Rep
Transportation Rep (Former Employee), Lowell, ARApril 16, 2014
Great people with awesome goals. Enjoyed them all very much!
BAISED GAME PLAYING EMPLOYER 6.7 YEAR DRIVER
DRIVER 6.7 YEARS (Former Employee), CHICAGOApril 11, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: play games
IMMATURE, EXTREMELY BAISED EMPLOYER
UNETHICAL COMPANY
RAIL AND DEDICATED ACCOUNTS
The people are very rude
Driver (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 11, 2014
I learned at this job on how to keep my mouth shut because I had called for some directions and when they gave them to me I had told them that they had sent me to the wrong place but all along the place was right behind me
Honesty is not their policy!
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 10, 2014
Pros: it's a job when others have none.
Cons: sub-standard equipment, lack of accountability of maintenance staff.
A typical workday includes a whole lot of waiting to get in & out of railyards, searching for empty trailers, waiting for dispatchers to respond to your messages. Management really doesn't seem to care about your problem unless it becomes their problem. Co-workers are outstanding! The hardest part of the job is settling for less then what you're accustomed – more... to meaning; maintenance is slow & ineffective with a total lack of accountability for items needing repair but deemed unimportant enough to fix. Trucks are the lowest quality bare bone base models without any amenities for driver comfort. The company has no ability to place drivers who do not smoke into trucks that have not been smoked in because they absolutely refuse to place a new driver into a new truck. Drivers who use a CPAP device as treatment for sleep apnea cannot be forced into these older trucks that others have smoked in previously as it totally defeats the whole purpose of using the CPAP device and would contaminate the unit causing a need to be replaced. Furthermore How can you provide those drivers who do not smoke with a smoke free environment when the maintenance personnel have been observed smoking in the trucks as they are working on them performing in-cab repairs where they know a driver has to work & sleep. I have personally seen this happening while waiting for my truck to be repaired – less
Learn from one who's been there.
Recent Driver (Former Employee), York, PAApril 10, 2014
Pros: independance
Cons: long hours, little pay, poor management
Okay, Where to begin. Well I started with JB in August 2013 and up until 20 minutes ago, I was still there.
I have had a couple days where I had to call in sick, when I say a couple I mean 3 times since I started. The last time they told me it was unacceptable, so is a 101 temperature but what the heck, they still demanded I come to work. I told them – more... I was not coming. Honestly driving 3 to 4 hundred miles feeling like I do is not my idea of working smart. Needless to say my job was over.
The job itself was not bad once you got away from the yard. The dispatch pushes their drivers however, past safe levels in my opinion, you work 12 to 14 hours everyday 5 days a week and they don't pay for all miles driven, you lose a minimum of 10% on mileage per load and your time is not compensated fairly either. You work 2 hours for free, before you start earning hourly rate. After 6 months you are suppose to get a raise. Well yes they give you an extra dollar per stop only then they cut your stops. As I do not like to Job Hop, this job just is not worth my time. – less
Agile Independent work
programmer (Former Employee), lowell, arMarch 28, 2014
Pros: 8 to 5 workday
Cons: no specified breaks.
I worked here as a java programmer for almost one year and a half, and we worked using agile methodology . I work independently and program by myself. I programmed in Java using using a Weblogic server, Spring framework, and Maven, creating a new applications called the CS dashboard that included FusionCharts charts on one the company's largest customer's – more... data: Available drivers for the day, Drivers on Vacation, Progress of deliveries for the customer, and Deliveries made per driver. I would be given descriptive requirements and then I would design it for a couple of days, and then code it, and code review it with the team, and then recode and sent it to qa, and then communicated with the server team to install it. I also used SSIS to create a batch job that would update delivery schedules for distribution centers. And I created SSRS reports given sql queries to be able to be seen by different businessmen at the company. – less
Great Company
Account Manager, Dedicated Contract Services (Former Employee), Lowell, ARMarch 27, 2014
There are a lot of wonderful people working at JB and they work hard to make the company great. Benefits are good but compensation can trend toward the lower end. Many positions required extended working hours and responsibility that follows you home but I believe this to be somewhat indicative of the transportation industry as a whole.
People make a difference
Intermodal Driver (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMarch 26, 2014
Pros: newer equipment, time off, vacation, co-workers, customers
Cons: rushed, unfair pay & policies, management
Worked Intermodal for 7.5 years and loved the work that I did. Long hours were not unusual. Was in and out of the rail yards many times a day. Learned many tricks of the trade within and out of the rail yard and local customers. Management needed the most work, unfair at times and biased towards drivers. Management has since changed for the better. – more... Co-workers were the best people I have ever worked with and were always happy to see each other during the day. Many friendships were made there. Hardest part of the job was the unfair treatment and stress brought on by poor management. Being able to do my job required management to do their job...many days were cut short because of situations not of my control. Most enjoyable part of the job was training new drivers to do the job and seeing them years later still enjoying the way they were taught. Out of the new hire trainers, I had more drivers stick around due to my honesty of the job performance and letting them know what to expect. – less
jobs ok. want more pay
truck driver del tires for Goodyear (Current Employee), San Bernadino ,Ca.March 24, 2014
Pros: n\a
Cons: dont pay enogh
Companys ok just don't pay their drivers enough.no more to say
Good start to build your experience
OTR Driver (Former Employee), Lowell, ARMarch 24, 2014
Pros: you will see a lot of places
Cons: you going to be gone more then you like to be
I would start my day with my per trip inspection then start my job assignments. What I have learned as a young driver is that you have got to know the the DOT laws that are out here. I also learned you have to watch for every and anything that is on the road while driving so paying attention to what you are doing is a must do. Safety is always first. – more... My fleet manager was a big help to me by sending me good loads to run. The hard part is backing some of the customers spots was not truck friendly. I do got to say it made me a lot better now I can back almost anywhere.
I enjoy driving it is what I do best. – less
Solid company with tons of growth potential
Account Manager (Current Employee), Salisbury NCMarch 19, 2014
Pros: strong company, growing rapidly, opportunity
Cons: lack of standards
Often long hours managing all aspects of the account. Dedicated accounts run as individual businesses with P&L, payroll, invoicing, maintenance, safety, logistics planning, dispatching all handled locally.
Hardest part of the job is convincing people to do a task that they do not want to accomplish.
This job has provided a wealth of knowledge and experience – more... about the behind the scenes operations of a trucking company. – less

About J.B. Hunt

J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. (JBHT), incorporated on August 10, 1961, is a holding company. The Company provides a range – Read more