J.B. Hunt Employee Reviews

buyer beware
lease purchase operator (Former Employee) –  dispatched from lowell arAugust 9, 2012
attempted to do the "lease/purchse" deal with this company and lost everything i owned. my home, my savings, my health. they run the truck just enough to collect the truck payment and the fuel that you have put in it. sometimes. went for 8 weeks at one stretch during that one year period that i didnt have a DIME comming to me. was able to go home only 6 times that year and two of those were times that i deadheaded home. many trips during the middle of the week with next day close schedule delivery went within 50 miles of my house but due to delivery schedules i had to keep going. they say that you can find your own loads and let dispatch know so that they can keep you moving. yeah, rite. i sat from wed afternoon until the following MONDAY in cincinatti oh waiting on a load. nothing within a 100 mile radius was offered. on saturday i found a load thru a very reputable broker (landstar) that was 12 miles from me, paid about average money, and had a saturday pick up, monday delivery, 600 miles away. was told that weekend dispatch couldnt accept any broker loads. this company is a CROCK
Cons
will cost you everything. home, family, money, health.
Unproductive complete waste of your time
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARDecember 6, 2015
Typical day at work driving around for miles and hours looking for empty trailers to make a load delivery. I learned that its all a game here and all lies you will learn quickly from talking to people that they are distributing dispatched loads to certain individuals. Most drivers are making about 650.00 a week before taxes. Once a new hire catches on to what they are doing they usually quit during training or not too long after training. So what JB Hunt does is they hire a new group of 30 drivers every week starting on Monday to replace the drivers that caught on and quit. Hardest part of the job is finding a empty trailer. Driving around from rail yard to rail yard for hours wasting your driving time and still not finding a empty. Driving around to customers who keep the empties from JB Hunt drivers. Last the company always saying they don't have a lot of work its really slow but goes and hire a new group of 30 employees every Monday or having other companies haul loads instead of their own company drivers. JB HUNT Is a fraud
Pros
Free Uniforms
Cons
Health Care is 100.00 and up depending of your plan
People make a difference
Intermodal Driver (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 26, 2014
Worked Intermodal for 7.5 years and loved the work that I did. Long hours were not unusual. Was in and out of the rail yards many times a day. Learned many tricks of the trade within and out of the rail yard and local customers. Management needed the most work, unfair at times and biased towards drivers. Management has since changed for the better. Co-workers were the best people I have ever worked with and were always happy to see each other during the day. Many friendships were made there. Hardest part of the job was the unfair treatment and stress brought on by poor management. Being able to do my job required management to do their job...many days were cut short because of situations not of my control. Most enjoyable part of the job was training new drivers to do the job and seeing them years later still enjoying the way they were taught. Out of the new hire trainers, I had more drivers stick around due to my honesty of the job performance and letting them know what to expect.
Pros
newer equipment, time off, vacation, co-workers, customers
Cons
rushed, unfair pay & policies, management
Opportunity for advancement was highly likely. Great Co-workers. Strong team bonds.
Customer Solutions Generalist (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARSeptember 24, 2013
My day would start with logging in to my phone taking calls to help customers track their packages. I learned how to use a multi-line phone system. I also learned phone etiquette and how to resolve a highly escalated customers problems without becoming angry myself. Management was often changing but overall they did care to have weekly meetings and listen to what the operators concerns were. They did what they could to make our situation better but weren't able to change the system effectively. My co-workers were spectacular we kept one another uplifted and in good moods. We had open communication with everyone in order to better help our customers. The hardest part of the job was to talk to angry people and sometimes not being able to help them. The part I liked the most about the job was being able to completely change someone else's mood by giving them a resolution.
Pros
awesome co-workers, weekly meetings with management
Cons
the inablility to help a customer in need because of limitations
Learn from one who's been there.
Recent Driver (Former Employee) –  York, PAApril 10, 2014
Okay, Where to begin. Well I started with JB in August 2013 and up until 20 minutes ago, I was still there.
I have had a couple days where I had to call in sick, when I say a couple I mean 3 times since I started. The last time they told me it was unacceptable, so is a 101 temperature but what the heck, they still demanded I come to work. I told them I was not coming. Honestly driving 3 to 4 hundred miles feeling like I do is not my idea of working smart. Needless to say my job was over.
The job itself was not bad once you got away from the yard. The dispatch pushes their drivers however, past safe levels in my opinion, you work 12 to 14 hours everyday 5 days a week and they don't pay for all miles driven, you lose a minimum of 10% on mileage per load and your time is not compensated fairly either. You work 2 hours for free, before you start earning hourly rate. After 6 months you are suppose to get a raise. Well yes they give you an extra dollar per stop only then they cut your stops. As I do not like to Job Hop, this job just is not worth my time.
Pros
independance
Cons
long hours, little pay, poor management
work and no play type atomosphere
Cdl Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARApril 30, 2012
Being with this company on and off since 2003 I have seen this company change with the times as we have had to do in the ever changing logistics business, ALthough the changes as with most company's is not in the drivers favor. As a driver i am the front line and should be respected more than I am. I appreciate the hard work that goes into finding and booking freight. Transportation companies should seek more people who have been on the front line. Who better to work with than someone who has had the experience of the other side? There are drivers who would make great office personel and are open minded to every situation and weights the risk such as myself. Overall I feel the corperate changes that affect the day to day operations are important and have been effective. We all work together as a team and if there isn't someone that is willing to work with the team they should be emliminated from the team and seek other oppertunity's.
Pros
strong emphis on safety
Cons
not enough time at home
The company and division was great
Driver / Trainer / Asst Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TXJune 19, 2013
When I first took over my 'Store' I reorganized the DWCC (Del Will call coordinator) and his directives as far as deliveries were routed. I increased the amount of deliveries and decreased the miles the store was charged. I increased my position by gaining two stores for delivery and because of my performance times, I started training drivers in clearing (Evaluating) their times for release. I then assumed the role of Asst Safety Coordinator by attending training seminars in Dallas at the Regional Operations Terminal and assisted in the Coordinator in the Safety Training Program as designated by the Main Office
CON: Driver Supervisor was having personal issues and it was affecting his duties. Complaints were made to upper management and no results. The Supervisor made several mistakes as far as the drivers Service Hours of Operation and several accidents resulted.
Pros
everything
Cons
management was poor in management skills.
york c&s account
dedicated driver (Former Employee) –  york paMarch 13, 2014
This place is a joke you work 5 days a week all day long til 1 or so in morning, the mgmt aint nothing nobody know nothing about driving trucks n want you to drive tired, sick n feet of snow they don't care bout the driver and top of always gives the good loads to the senior guys n the bs to the new people n I tried to hang in there but you will loose everything working here if you don't curse the mgmt out cuz they trying to tell you how to drive a truck and never even started a truck couldn't tell u where the darn lights are....STAY A WAY FROM HERE TRUST ME YOU GOIN TO HATE IT THEY HAVE HAD 7 R 8 PEOPLE FROM MY CLASS COME SINCE OCTOBER OF LAST YEAR N EVERYONE QUIT BY JANUARY I TRIED TO HANG N THERE BUT AS U SEE HIGH TURN OVER NO MONEY EVEN IF YOU WORK 7 DAY A WEEK! !! DO NOT GO TO THIS YORK PA ACCT........n giving them 1 star is being nice that how bad if account n company they are.
Pros
a joke....
Cons
a holes, no money, mgmt never driving truck n try tell you how to do your job, long hours, they force you to run even if you feel its unsafe!
former driver
class a regional driver (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARMarch 20, 2015
after was assigned a truck it turns out it was not ready and had to wait a week to get a different one. I finally got my first load and guess what, the truck breaks down. It was in the shop for a week. Well then I got my load and headed for Arizona on a regional run. I got to the scales and received a big fat ticket because my truck was not permitted for loads over 50000 lbs. I was constantly living in truck stops. I managed to pay my overweight ticket with layover pay alone. And don't get me started on the dispatch they gave me. I managed to stay with them for 6 months and to my relief the truck breaks down again and I got to be with my family on Thanksgiving day. plus 2 weeks {that's the time it took them to fix the International bad boy. I took advantage of this time to land a knew job. Their was more fun I had with this company but I just assume not try to remember it. When I give this company one star I'm being kind.Good luck and be safe out there.
Pros
can't remember
Cons
please read my review
Not a place to work if looking for professional growth.
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Lowell, AROctober 18, 2013
I have personally loved working at J.B. Hunt while I was in college, however, as I am looking for a career path after I graduate, I see that I am looking everywhere but here. I have had an awesome group of coworkers over the years and I am blessed that I was under the management that I was. However, as a college student with extreme school loan debt, I have to look for a position with an organization that has a high level of compensation for their employees as well as the opportunity for growth. J.B. Hunt is an organization that, if you move up, it will take many many years to do so, and you will never reach the level you want to be unless you are on the buddy system, where you have previous connections with those that are already in upper management. If it was not for the low compensation level for the area, I would probably stay with the company.
Pros
catered lunches, great coworkers, great location
Cons
poor compensation, no room for promotion

Want to know more about J.B. Hunt?

Ask a question
Agile Independent work
programmer (Former Employee) –  lowell, arMarch 28, 2014
I worked here as a java programmer for almost one year and a half, and we worked using agile methodology . I work independently and program by myself. I programmed in Java using using a Weblogic server, Spring framework, and Maven, creating a new applications called the CS dashboard that included FusionCharts charts on one the company's largest customer's data: Available drivers for the day, Drivers on Vacation, Progress of deliveries for the customer, and Deliveries made per driver. I would be given descriptive requirements and then I would design it for a couple of days, and then code it, and code review it with the team, and then recode and sent it to qa, and then communicated with the server team to install it. I also used SSIS to create a batch job that would update delivery schedules for distribution centers. And I created SSRS reports given sql queries to be able to be seen by different businessmen at the company.
Pros
8 to 5 workday
Cons
no specified breaks.
Former employee
Operations (Former Employee) –  LowellJanuary 6, 2014
There is a lot of bullying and back bitting going on in the operations side of this company, which prevents it from functioning as a team. In addition, the culture is anti-foreigners, even though they do hire foreigners in IT and Mexico operations. If you have an accent, stay away from this company, because they WILL NOT like you. Some will make sure you are out of there as soon as possible. So, if you are looking for a true international, open minded, and forward thinking company, stay away from this one. They speak in a very derogative manner about Mexico, even though they do business with that country. Their knowledge and tolerance of other countries, languages, and cultures is low, limited, none. The nature of the work is repetitive and people don't talk at any level above TV shows, beef jerky, and beer.
Pros
nice building, exercise equipment and classes for employees
Cons
1. hostile, bullying, micromanaging, back bitting going on, 2. hostile to people from other cultures
Good place to work, but!
Driver/Support DCS (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, MAMay 14, 2014
A typical day starts in a drop yard, picking up a shuttled load, or an empty trailer and driving to the terminal for your load assignment. Operating in the extreme conditions of New York city and the 5 boroughs with very tight streets, one ways, and blind side backing, low bridge heights, and L's. I was taught the Smith system of driving which on open road is great but much more difficult to apply in the extreme conditions stated above. The co-workers there were always very helpful even if the company didn't stand behind the driver but instead blamed them for any and everything that happens. Overall a good place to work and would be better with a little more tolerance of drivers having a difficult time adjusting to what is expected.
Pros
pay, co-workers and management very friendly, training
Cons
use of poor equipment from time to time, lack of commitment to drivers when pedestrians, using 7-8 year old trucks, maintenance and return of truck to driver
Demanding job with growth potential
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 7, 2013
A typical day at work is extremely busy with managing drivers, warehouse employees, supervisors, and temp labor. During the day you complete safety conference calls, customer meetings, and route freight for the next day.

I have learned how to manage multiple people with multiple personalities. I have learned P&L management and analysis skills, routing and dispatching skills, as well as team leadership and communication skills.

My co-workers have been great with JB Hunt. I have had some incredible managers that I have had the privilege to learn under.

The hardest part of the job is being micro-managed. Almost everything that I do as a manger is micro-managed by my boss as well as upper management.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me is managing an entire account. I look at it as I run my own business. I have gained invaluable skills from JB Hunt and will use them for the rest of my life.
Pros
wear shorts and polos
benefits
Intermodal Division recently hired (5 weeks)
Intermodal driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids,IaOctober 11, 2014
Week 1: Orientation HR paperwork, drug, physical test
Week 2: Ride along with trainer to various Chicago rail terminals (Chicago traffic sucks and eats up your drive clock)
Week 3: on own and ran little over 1,700 miles with only couple issues that prevented me from getting 2,000 miles felt good and gross pay was just over $1,000
Week 4: tractor was due for B service (500,000 miles) shop mgr. discovered issue and that it was covered under Detroit Diesel Warranty and was without truck 5 of my working days.
Week 5: tractor broke down on 1st day it was given clean bill of health and now I'll be sitting because company says they "don't have enough tractors"

*** to the companies credit they do pay $75 DAY while your truck is broken down....unfortunately that's NOT enough to pay the bills. This company is large enough to have equipment readily available...
Pros
still waiting
Cons
not enough tractors for new hires and are put in worn out eqpt.
Good company with poor management
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino,CAMarch 8, 2012
While being a good company, it's main issues are within the management dept.. I enjoyed working with my fellow co-workers, the shop and facility are a good and clean workplace. However, management routinely micromanages all the way down from the regional director to the shift foreman. Work is based off of standard repair times, if you go over 1 minute you are given a warning and after that can be fired for the same or different offense. Management is selective as to who these policies apply to and what policies they enforce. Management is never consistent with regards to policy or procedure. It can be very difficult to get time off regardless to how much time you have accrued or whether you are a salary employee it is totally a shot in the dark. Shift schedules are day and night shift either Sun-Thur or Tues- Sat. except for special employee's.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
management lacks professionalism and intergrity
Productive and Team Enviroment
trailing assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ArkansasAugust 19, 2014
My current position are really about family first and that is something I really love about the company and they really support the military. The hardest part of the job would be under staff but that is with any company but everyone overcome and adapt to the situation. Management cares about the employess. I learn something new about our equipment every day which I love and that is something that is very important for me. Growth with a company and being able to be a team player for a company and help it grow and others. My typical of day is to take care of my vendors invoices , make sure my drivers equipment are fixed in a timely manner and being a team player within my department when they need me to on top of my work load.
Pros
customer service with the drivers and vendors
Cons
need more growth and opportunities to move around. educate employees
Productive work place.
Class 8 Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  Channahon, ILNovember 23, 2015
I perform federal safety inspections daily on vehicles so that they are safe to travel down the road and meet strict federal safety DOT regulations for 50,000 miles. These vehicles routinely have failures that require immediate repair or replacement to safely operate the vehicle or to maintain optimum life of powertrain, electrical, and mechanical components. These jobs are timed and graded based upon completion and accuracy. I am trained in diagnostic scanning equipment for Cummins, Navistar, Detroit Diesel, and CAT. I am a quick study and require little to no supervision. I lookforward to reviewing my quallifications in person if you believe that my skills will benefit us both mutually. I am looking for a career with an establlished company who is exited to expand on my skills.Thank you for your time and consideration.
Not bad
Driver/Lumper (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, IN/ Chicago, ILApril 30, 2014
There are a lot of perks to this company, the pay is great and depending on the account you are on great home time, and you will get all of your comp pays such as lay over breakdown detention etc. Now for the bad never in 2+ years employment have I met a driver who didn't whine about everything lol, the driver managers are a joke most of them have never seen a truck till the started working for JB, they are good about getting you the miles but for not being forced dispatch they sure force you to take any load they push on you, and usually the loads are already late when dispatched or you'll have about 1 hour to deliver or pick up 3 hours away, that being said a great company to work for since all the bad is not as bad as most trucking companies out there, and there are way worse companies
Pros
compensation pays always paid, home time
Cons
nothing worse than a typical tucking co.
Good solo company
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARMay 16, 2012
My biggest issue working for JB Hunt, was that I hadn't driven in quite a while. When I went through the orientation process, I didn't legitimately pass my road test, instead I was told that I would be at the correct percentage the following day. I then had to beg to retest. They still put me out on the road. The first few days were rough and stressful, but I survived without an accident. I eventually told them that I didn't feel safe driving. Luckily for me, my significant other was willing to help me out, so they allowed us to drive together, so that I could learn the ropes again.
The miles were iffy at best, but the pay is high. Management doesn't communicate effectively on a consistent basis. This was my experience, I know there are many.
Pros
pay is great, equipment was nice for solo drivers, benefits were good
Cons
management communication, miles, hiring process