J.D. Byrider Employee Reviews

Caused More Harm Than Good With Customers (Predatory Lending)
Program Advisor (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INJuly 1, 2014
At the beginning, you feel you are truly helping challenged credit customers with rebuilding their credit and providing them with reliable transportation. Eventually, you start getting complaints from customers that are on the side of the road, customers that can't schedule a service appointment for two weeks, customers whose circumstances change and are harassed for payments, customers who are literally breaks down before the end of their auto loan and are still responsible for paying.

After a while, I felt like I was setting customers up with payments of $420 plus a month for ten year old cars.

Management changed at this location and the reputation was severed. New Management felt they could mistreat and be unprofessional with customers because of their financial situation or under-served circumstances.

Turnover was extremely high when dealing with uneducated and unprofessional management. They treated everyone as if they were disposable and could be replaced. You will never feel appreciated for the good performance you bring to the company.

*** DO NOT WORK AT JD BYRIDER/CNAC IN MERRILLVILLE ***
Pros
commission, healthcare, pto
Cons
new management ruined the companys reputation
Stay away, lacks honesty, integrity, and moral values
Service (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARJuly 23, 2014
The Executive Management was very poor at this location and expected the employees to let real problems slide. (i.e. "do you really have to fix that leak or replace that tire, can't it just slide") They had no problem selling used cars with manufactures recalls without even telling the customer they existed. I was even asked to place front license plates over damaged bumpers or place bug guards over the front of hoods to cover up damages.The business practices were very poor, even at times selling cars without actually having the vehicle title on hand yet make a sale and hope it came in before the customers temporary plates expired so they could register the car. I would not recommend this location to anyone to work unless you want to compromise your personal ethics, morals and values. Consumers beware you will pay twice as much for a car than what it is worth and you will charged a very high interest rate as well.
Pros
meeting new people and customer interaction
Cons
lack of benefits, long hours, poor executive level management, the lack of ethics and morals by some

Comment – October 29, 2014

I worked at this location as a car sales person. This is not a place you want to ever work at, the above review is very true and more. I would not recommend this location to work to anyone, you will be miserable on a daily basis and good luck getting a lunch hour.

Enjoy working with my customers
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 28, 2013
Come in around 8:30 am, read emails and go over scheduled appointment for the day. If there are any appointments that were a no show from the previous day, I call and follow up with those leads. Using our computer program I contact leads all leads to set up appointments.

Importance of persistence and consistency, how to actively listen to the facts, to better assist our customers'. Stay objective versus subjective in sales and business in general.

Management is very un-organized and egotistical, there is absolutely no order of operation and business does not run smoothly.

Co workers are awesome we all have a great work relationship, we are all on the same page and work as a team.

Hours are very demanding and the work environment is not welcoming.

I really enjoy working with my customers, getting families back on the road and hopefully improving their lives by helping them build their credit.
Pros
get to drive company vehicle daily
Cons
hours and chaotic environment
Please Read This!
Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) –  North Houston, TxOctober 23, 2015
This place is totally unprofessional, and not a great place to work. The managers demand you try and hit goals when they ignore the customers. The managers there pick favorites. The schedules there are very unreasonable. You will definitely have no outside life. The staff are unwelcoming, they do not welcome anyone into a friendly work environment. Everyone gossips and cause uproar with the managers and amongst themselves. They treat the customers horribly and unfair. The staff run the customer cards without their permission.
Pros
Cons
Staff including upper management, Schedule, and Pay.
Productive and fun place to work
Underwriter Manager (Current Employee) –  DUNDALK,MDJuly 12, 2015
Reviewing and verifying credit applications on customers. Siting down with customers face to face while filling out a budet analysis to insure the customer can afford the car payment as well as all their monthy expenses.Also reviewing and discussing their credit report with them.Educating the customer about the importance of credit and J.B.Byriders program.Finalize the credit interview by making the decision on approving or conditioning the customer for financing.
Pros
Helping customer improve credit and providing them with reliable transportation
Cons
gossip
No way!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJuly 5, 2011
Management lacks leadership qualities. Compensation v/s hours worked and duties performed is out of balance. Morally and ethically challenged practices. You will have no time for what matters, family. Entry level salesmen do all the unproductive sidework and dont get equal chance to work towards making a sale. Management has no prioritization skills, and treats people poorly. My worst job experience ever.
Pros
you get to work with a wide range of people., benefits are not bad., you learn what not to do in sales.
Cons
horrible hours., lack of compensation, they think they own you.

Comment – July 12, 2012

One of the worst jobs I have had in my life. The company structure when it comes to collections, is ridiculous. On the average a customer pays about 20% interest on their loans. CNAC has a policy of NO GRACE PERIODS on thier loans. When customers can't pay and you try working with them you get wrote up, because your numbers are high. But on the other hand when you enforce the no grace period you get wrote up for your back numbers being high. You get into trouble when customers return their cars. The sales dept. is a whole different ballgame. My advice to anyone is to shop around and compare before you buy a vehicle.

Comment – February 18, 2013

Some of these comments are coming from our various franchise locations. This would be based out of our corporate office in Carmel, IN.

Comment – April 29, 2013

The NW Indiana locations are the worst place to work. Store management has no clue how to manage employees or keep moral high. Everyone working there is miserable. They fire people at random which makes everyone working there on edge.

Morally irresponsible company no values
sales (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 1, 2015
I worked here for 4 months and while I was not a great salesman, my general manager would talk to other employees about me and how he was going to fire me. Leads weren't sent to me like they were the others. Other coworkers would slip off and leave during the day and that would go "unnoticed" because they were selling cars. All they care about is if you are selling cars at a crazy interest rate to unsuspecting customers. I would never recommend working here unless it is a last resort.
Pros
nothing
Cons
work your butt off and dont get rewarded
The North Little Rock Arkansas store is a bad place to work. Management is all about themselves they rip off customers and employees
Collecting (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ARNovember 5, 2014
I worked at J.D. Byrider in North Little Rock. The experience was one I will never forget. I would not want my enemy to work for them. Management is the worst! They cuss, yell and scream at employees as well as customers. They want you to work everyday that they are open and the manager spreads negative rumors about his employees around the building. This is a company to stay away from.
Pros
pay
Cons
general manager, finance manager.
terrible place to work don't care about people in genereal
tech (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiMarch 3, 2015
I worked for byrider for 6 years you are a number to upper management and all they care about is cash in their pocket they take advantage of everybody including people with bad credit and sell them high milage cars! If you are looking for a place to retire from this is not it they will miss treat you and treat you worse than their customers I have never been treated so poorly by an employer.
Pros
money and bennifits
Cons
upper management not knowing how to properly manage
Credit Counselor
Credit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 30, 2015
Calculates amount of debt and funds available to plan method of payoff and estimate time for debt liquidation
Establishes payment priorities to reduce client's overall costs by liquidating high-interest, short-term loans or contracts first
Produces a written action plan that supports the counselor's conclusion as to the course of action that promotes the client's best interests or the client's choice of action
Motivates the client to implement the established plan
Great company with great growth potential
Buyer, Asset Management (Current Employee) –  PA, Indy, Cincy and KCMarch 29, 2013
I am a buyer, my day consists of going to auctions and wholesalers to review, test, evaluate and price vehicles to be purchased and build relationships in the field. I work day in and day out with phone and email contact with Management at the corporate and store level to assure timely delivery of goods and help problem solve. Very exciting company to work for, lots of travel required.
Pros
good work environment, different every day.
Cons
lots of travel.
former collector in corporate, Carmel, IN
account manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, IndianaMarch 13, 2015
i started working here in Aug 2014,and all we got fed was lies and broken promises......

nobody knows what's going on, all they care about in management is money in their pockets. they dint care about you as an employee at all.....

they lie, cheat you, cheat customers, run credit cards without permission, blame employees for doing it and ultimately the turnover rate is one of the highest in the state of Indiana....
Pros
good pay
Cons
slave mentality, no flexibility, uncaring
Very relaxed atmosphere with great co-workers!
Sales Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 24, 2012
Although my time at J.D. Byrider was short lived, I would highly recommend anyone looking to start off in sales or get into the automotive industry to try out J.D. Byrider. They're great people and you get a chance to help out a different type of client every single day. Great company to work for.
Pros
catered lunches on saturday and your own office space.
Cons
low inventory making it hard to show a wide variety to a potential customer.
Horrible place to work
Sales Exec (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ARJanuary 6, 2016
I wouldn't want anybody to work for this company.They're stuck in the stone age. Finance manager laughs at customers circumstances even though they're in the same financial situation as the customer base. Favoritism abounds.General manager thinks he runs a respectable business, but it's as bad as any predatory lender. They discriminate on a daily basis.
Pros
Learn BASICS of the business
Cons
Horrible mgmt, very prejudicial towards customer base
Great Company in which I gained unlimited experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHFebruary 11, 2013
- Manage and oversee all production in the store
- The daily complete operations of a business
- I was the manager and felt that I earned a great deal of respect from my employment
- In general, my co-workers helped make a great team
- The hardest part was balancing emotions from sales to service
- The reward of seeing the results of my actions and helping others was my most enjoyable part.
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIFebruary 12, 2014
As a Sales Associate for J.D. Byrider, it was my job to explain our credit building financing to customers, and convince them to purchase our program.
I explained all benefits of our program, including our warranty, credit reporting, and helping them find a vehicle that suits the customers needs.
In the 3months I worked in sales I sold approximately 21 vehicles.
Pros
meeting new people on a daily basis
Cons
commision
Lousy stressful job.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJuly 31, 2012
Lousy,corrupt management. Talk about and make fun of customers behind there back. Lots of SHADY people and low moral. NOT a very professional enviroment. I worked there less than a year before management coud see I needed more in life than a paycheck! They served me up my walking papers. I would never buy a car from this place, I rather walk,LoL.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
long hours, favoritism, no future, lousy health insurance!

Comment – February 18, 2013

Collections & Underwritting
Account Manager/Underwritter (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 21, 2015
Company just needs to structure better. Finance manager has never worked collections so not very helpful. I love collections so this was a great job, learned how to set up Repo's and retrieve from the impound. I also filled claims with the insurance company to have vehicles fixed or totaled out. Co-workers were knowledgeable and we worked great as a team.
it was a fun place to work and you learn alot
Office Manager/Title Clerk (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAAugust 6, 2013
my typical day was keeping the customer happy when posting there payments and making sure my work was complete by the end of the day, I have learned a lot in the 12 years that I have been with the company and I enjoyed doing my job. I like learning new things everyday. I enjoyed the customers the most and learning about them.
Cons
no lunch breaks
great job experience
RECEPTIONIST / BILLING CLERK/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 30, 2015
I enjoyed my job there. my boss was great. We got a new general manager and changed things. very hard to work for him. I felt I was down graded because I was a woman. I was injured and was at work but punished for being at work..
Pros
job was great and learned alot.
Cons
new general manager, was not company likeed

2.8