Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital

Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Lead by dictators with an oblivious CEO
RN (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALApril 18, 2015
Believe the bad reviews. Cover ups and dictator style leadership. Physician owned, physician led, poor to moderate care
Great hospital
Acute Care Internship (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALApril 13, 2015
Acute Care Internship
• Examined, evaluated, provided physical therapy diagnosis, prognosis developed and delivered plan of care for the patient population and discharge.
• Diagnosis seen: TKA,THA, hip ORIF, ankle ORIF, TSA, RCR, CHF,CVA
• In-service: “Commonly Prescribed Medications Encountered by Physical Therapists” Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital, Phenix City, AL Presenter
Excellent Benefits. Our department was made up of excellent coworkers
Medicare Biller/Patient Accounts (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Excellent Benefits
Cons: There was a large turnover in supervisors and directors
The billing department consisted of knowledgeable and dedicated employees. We billed and submitted our claims in the morning. The remainder of the was devoted to making sure our claims were being processed correctly and resulted in timely payments. I would have to say the hardest part of my job was keeping up with Medicare changes and guidelines. The most gratifying was when all the work finally resulted in payments
Productive and skillful organization
Registered Nurse Orthopedic/Med surge floor (Current Employee), Phenix City, ALNovember 7, 2014
Pros: everyday is a learning experience
Cons: short breaks, not enough time in the day for holistic care
its a very busy face pace atmosphere, but i love every minute of it, my coworkers are amazing and very intelligent, i love different things everyday,
Steady, Fast-paced and Fun
Dietary Aide/Cold Prep/Cook/Baker (Current Employee), Phenix City, ALSeptember 6, 2014
My day usually consist of multiple jobs occasionally, do to lack of staff, which is no problem. But my everyday work day is steady and goes by fast. I always find different things to do to keep myself busy. Working in a hospital is pretty cool, lots of different faces and lots of staff from different departments that we serve on as daily basis. I enjoy seeing customers enjoying my preparations and the compliments that come with it. I always get different request that I am capable of doing and I love giving customers what that have in mind to have for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I love to see people happy. Its the small things that count. I have obtained a lot of information working with this company as for as how to complete things on a timely basis, how to better my craft as far as presentation, and learning how and what to prepare more and less based on what customers enjoy. I work well with my fellow co- workers, we always get the job done by working as a team daily, no matter what it is that needs to get done. To be honest there is no hard parts about my occupation, after being there as long as i have been, it only has only become easier, its like the back of my hand, no problems.
Absolutely horrible, hostile work environment
Risk Manager (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALSeptember 4, 2014
Cons: cliques, physician ownership
This is a hospital that is owned and ruled by the physicians. Do not think that it is not. In the case of Utilization Management, if a physician decides that a total hip will be done as an outpatient, it will be. Do not decide to speak with him or you may lose your job. The physician rules. Even though this would be both a UR and a risk management nightmare. All I can say is applicant beware. If you report to the COO, she will not meet with you one-on-one. I do not know why, she just doesn't. She also will not return e-mails in a timely manner. She is non-responsive and is not supportive. The QI Director, is a parrot of the COO. She has little experience in UR or risk, no experience in workers comp or OSHA, so the learning curve for her is great. There is little opportunity for educational growth as there is no money available. The rest of the management is done in cliques. If you are not a member, then it is high school all over. There is little done for the staff and morale because no one cares. So if you can work in this environment, go for it.
Great company
Dietary Aide (Current Employee), Phenix City, ALAugust 28, 2014
Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital is an awesome company to work for. Every day was a day full of hard work but surrounded by great people. The other employees were very nice and helpful and the patients were the best. I enjoyed serving the patients and hearing their stories daily. It was a great experience.
Excellent Place To Work
DMM (Current Employee), Phenix CityJuly 31, 2014
I have truly enjoyed my time at "the Jack". Good people, good, mission, and a good outlook.
Great place towork.
PHLEBOTOMY INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee), Columbus, GAMay 27, 2014
Pros: great supervisors
Cons: cafeteria food not that great.
Very professional environment engulfed with caring workers.
Productive, fast paced, fun.
Nurse Support Tech (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALMarch 17, 2014
Very comfortable work environment. The staff are very friendly and welcoming.
Everyday was different. I trained as a NST, worked with Physical Therapists, Phlebotomists, ER Nurses, Doctors, etc.
The hardest part of the job was probably saying goodbye to my patients. Some patients would be there for several weeks at a time. These are people I took care of on a daily basis, spending no less than 12 hours a day with.
But that was also the most enjoyable part of the job. I developed relationships with co workers and patients that I still keep in touch with to this day even though I no longer work at the hospital.
30 minute lunch breaks were a downside to the job. You barely had enough time to get down to the cafeteria to get food, eat it, then make it back to the floor you worked on.
As an NST, I would take care of 12-18 patients a day on my own. That could sometimes be a bit overwhelming, but ultimately, I loved my job and because of my experience there, I am now going to school to get my RN,
Fast Paced Exciting Orthopaetic Hospital
CFO (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALMarch 17, 2014
Pros: hospital
Cons: icd10
Excellent hospital with a great management team located right across the border in Phenix City, Alabama. Jack Hughston is owned and operated by physicians. Work environment could be improved but overall an excellent place to work.
Helping Others
Environmental ServiceTechnician (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALDecember 17, 2013
Enjoyed helping patients; always understanding the need to get work done in timely manner; learned more about the importance of environmental health procedures.
Nice facility with good coworkers
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALDecember 10, 2013
I enjoyed providing patient care at this hospital. It is a physician-owned hospital so they called RN's off a lot. I had good coworkers here. Management can be a little overbearing at times.
Loved working in a clean hospital
Human Resources Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALMay 1, 2013
I was in Human Resources and loved working with the employees
Fast paced environment yielding invaluable customer service experience
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Phenix City, AlabamaApril 8, 2013
Pros: good hours and flexibility
Cons: little room for advancement
This was a good experience for growth. It was great working with patients and hospital staff.
Good place to work. Benefits were not good, however.
Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALMarch 13, 2013
Pros: good cafeteria
Cons: short breaks
Nice place to work. Premiere orthopedic hospital with good reputation for successful results.

Professional employees who conducted themselves properly.

July 15, 2013

No one knows what they are doing, poor culture and not good benefits. They believe in rattling and no follow through.

Great Staff
Sonographer/PRN (Current Employee), Phenix City, ALJanuary 24, 2013
All of the employees at Jack Hughston are very cooperative and seem to want to help one another.
gh Stress, High pressure environment with no support from supervisor.
Case Manager/Discharge Planner (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: good salary level and good benefits.
Cons: short lunch break, long hours, high pressure, very critical direct supervisor
Arrive 6:30-7:00 a.m. to 7:00- 10:00 p.m.
No formal training plan or guidelines.
No reference for each doctor's routine orders
Responsible for discharge 20-40 discharges per day, verifying DME. PT, wound care and scheduling next office visit. Faxing records as indicated.

Responsible to admit 20-40 patients per day Obtain preferences for PT, Home Health/Rehab. Determine aftercare available in patients area of residence, that take patient's insurance
Management was not supportive was told on my first day and frequently after that an admin could do the job much cheaper. CFO was direct supervisor.

Enjoyed contact with patients and families and helping them obtain their needs for rehab to return to their previous level or as close to this as possible.

My son was hospitalized at another hospital with had 108 degree temp and was placed in ICU due to unsuccessful in decreasing temp. I notified management the night before that I would not be at work the next day and explained the reason. The temperature decreased to 102 the next afternoon. I returned to work the next day and was criticized by direct supervisor that my son was an adult now and I was not needed at the hospital.
Hostile and Volatile
RN (Former Employee), NursingNovember 9, 2012
Pros: food, clean
Cons: high staff turn over
JHMH is a very clean and new hospital. However, staff turnover is extremely high. Physician owned and operated making it a volatile work atmosphere for nursing.
Educational
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Phenix City, ALNovember 8, 2012
Pros: great lunch
Very enlightening to attend internship every morning. start with the QC and learning new things everyday.