Jack Link's Beef Jerky Employee Reviews in United States

Corporate management falsifies character, reputation, and conduct of employees resulting in termination
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 14, 2016
Pros
The benefits are mediocre at best. PTO could be better. The people are friendly and the environment is causal. You receive a free bag of jerky a day.

Cons
The team you are hired onto will greatly affect your success and happiness here. You can love your job, own your role, work hard, and build a great rapport with your co-workers. However, if your managers fail to see your success and credibility, despite your efforts, you will end up micro managed, harassed, belittled, overworked, stressed, and have no sense of job security. Efforts to show improvement, whether or not you actually needed it, goes no where. They take a very long time to hire and are quick to fire without investigating or second thought.

There needs to be some serious reconstruction to the current leadership in this company. Certain managers have way too much leverage over others and because of this, teams are mismanaged and some lose their jobs for unfair reasons. The employees who leave on their own terms don't leave the company, they leave their managers.
Very stable job, hard workers throughout the factory, managers cared about you.
Sanitation Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  New Glarus, WIJanuary 25, 2016
Enjoyed working for this company for the time I was there. They treated employees with the most utmost respect and dignity. Compensated well and gave employees awesome discounts within the company. The management there was loose but still maintained positive feedback and authoritatively constructed jobs throughout the factory.
Pros
discounts on items within the company, job security
Cons
hours were kind of tough to deal with, worked from 3pm till 4:30am.
very nice break room and clean job site
Operations (Former Employee) –  Underwood, IAFebruary 18, 2016
Fill as many work orders in a 10 hr shift. I learned how to work in a confined work area with fork lifts everywhere . safety was a big issue there. I enjoyed my supervisor very much we started the same day. had great co-workers everybody got along well. hardest part of job was be safe like I said a lot of heavy lifts in a confined space. most enjoyable was all the free food and perks . they were very good to there employees
Pros
monthly appreciation days
Cons
work shift hours 4;00 pm to 2;30 a.m.
typical day
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Underwood, IAOctober 23, 2015
alot of diffrent quotas and diffrent jobs as a production worker. very physical work, 10 hour days, incentive and regular wages
Pros
free employee lunch once a month
Cons
difficult supervisors, micro management, a lot of change in the DC since ive been there
Fast growing company
Director of Corporate Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Underwood, IADecember 9, 2015
Work environment when I started was fun, company was growing at a fast pace.
3 waves of new leadership in the last 24 months has caused instability and no longer a family owned type environment, less personal and more corporate feel.
Pros
Good perks on beef jerky and company give-a-ways.
steady work with fun people.
ware house attendent. (Current Employee) –  mankato, mnJuly 12, 2015
On a typical day I am responsible for meat deliveries where we temp the meat and receive it into inventory. then we receive in freight to the ware house where we verify the amount and log it into inventory before putting it the shelf. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep the packaging department stocked while trying to receive in freight. My co-workers are a big part of keeping the flow of productivity steady.
Pros
frequnt lunches and parties.
Cons
frequnt long hours.
MicroManagers and Low Pay
Retail Account Manager (Former Employee) –  AnywhereFebruary 24, 2013
You think this woud be a cool company to work for. It seems like every supervisor is a micro-manager. They want to be called often. And if you don't pick up when they call you get reprimanded.

Everyday there is a some new inane report. They want you to download lots of silly pictures daily, perfectly formatted, after just working an 8-9 hour shift and driving all day. When your micro-manager does a work with. They spend the whole week with you. Yet when you ask that micro manager about, certain accounts, benefits or opportunities they become clueless!

Trying to get any type of updates from account managers is impossible. I found out more information on my own then from those overpaid folks

The territories are so large. At Walmart most of the product are on the mods. So just think how crazy that is working at Walmart registers during the afternoon, CRAZY! Some accounts you have to go in areas where there are mice and mice feces. And don't call into corporate. You just can't get answers
Pros
weekends off, free product
Cons
low pay, little advancement, long days, most managers are micro-managers, calling on walmarts, lack of timely information from account managers, if you let them your daily work days can turn into 12 hour days, territories so large, can be in the car for hours befor sales call
"one team"
Plant Worker (Former Employee) –  Minong, WIFebruary 5, 2015
You show up, you work your butt off, you punch out and go home (a commute averaging at least ten minutes, depending on where you live.) General attitudes among coworkers are congenial, but interdepartmental relations can be rocky at times. The work can be physically demanding and the overall atmosphere can be stressful, morale often times low. There is a high turnover rate, often leaving a given crew with inexperienced and inconsistent workers. Working there is not for everyone unless you are passionate about beef jerky (...) or (more likely) really need a job. Fair benefits.
Pros
good benefits, decent people
Cons
no comment
*Unfair labor practices
HR Benefit Specialist/Payroll Backup/HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Minong, WIMarch 26, 2015
This employer let me go after 1 year of service because I had a medical issue. They denied my FMLA as I had a qualifying event happen as I was in the hospital overnight.

I also believe the real reason why I was let go was that I found illegal immigrants in their facility in New Glarus, Wisconsin. When I told them about it and that I needed help to clean it up I was repremanded and less that a week later I was let go. HUMMMM
Work hard, Play Hard and Feed Your Wild Side
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minong, WISeptember 29, 2013
Pulling off HWY 53 north in Minong WI (45 minutes south of Duluth, MN) all you see is farm land, trees as far as the eyes can see and never ending rolling hills. As you take in the landscape there is one thing you won't be able to help but notice, Jack Link's Beef Jerky's World Headquarters. The plant/corporate office combo stands as a beacon among the natural landscape and can be seen for miles around. This is how my day ends and starts, with a family built and bred company thriving in the little town that built it.

Every day is different, challenging and exciting in the benefits department at Jack Link's. Being a Benefits Specialist my number one duty is customer service and my customers are the people I see every day at work, the employees. Whether it's processing a medical enrollment for a new hire, explaining the leave absence policy or heading up the wellness committee, every part of my day is about making sure the company takes care of its employees. With a company close to 3,000 domestic employees and 3 team members in the Benefits department this can be a tall order, but every day we work hard to meet the needs and expectations of our customers.

After five years with Jack Link's I have learned that you have never learned enough. I've held three different positions at Jack Link's Beef Jerky and all have been invaluable in what they have taught me. With all that I have learned these three things ring true no matter what position I have filled; know the culture of your company, know how to communicate with that culture and create a positive rapport among the culture.
  more... These three things can be the hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable all at the same time.

All that I have learned at Jack Link's has built a solid foundation for my future opportunities outside Jack Link's and the motto I will carry with me no matter my destination will continue be: work hard, play hard and always Feed Your Wild Side!
Pros
lunch served at my location, company benefit plan, wellness program, company paid picnics, company store
Cons
the commute, pto/vacation/sick days, pay grade structure, parking, 401k, lack of profit sharing
Sasquatch fun
Retail Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Minong, WIMay 10, 2015
Jack Links was a great company to work for. The role i had was removed and contracted out to another company. We went out to service our vendors, ensure stock was in date and invoice.
Extremely demanding work culture with work hard & play hard philosophy
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Minong, WIOctober 1, 2012
A typical day involved all aspects day to day management of 80+ direct & indirect accounts. Building elaborate fact based presentations. Public speaking in groups as large as 150. hundreds of miles of travel. Retail checks on top of calling directly of big convenience store corporate decision makers & DSD/Wholesalers all over the Intermountain West.

I learned to become a very powerful sales person, public presenter. I was able to apply my previous category management skills to building plan-o-grams for many retailers & maximizing profitability & top line sales while maintaining perfect P&L balance.

Most management was great & I am not one to talk badly but a particular individual 's unprofessional harassment led me away from a career I loved & thrived in. Upper management were great & always had an open door policy to listen to ideas & help in any way possible.

My co-workers were some of the best people I have ever had the honor to work with. We were truly a team across the U.S.A. & no one ever hesitated to offer advise or even give their opinion on ideas & problems. Great team environment that made that company a huge success.

The hardest part of the job was there seemed to be a divide between the sales force & the marketing team which made the sales team's job much more inefficient.

The most enjoyable part was the business relationships I made & the record sales I achieved in 5 year's. Also, with my high level of mathematical skill I was given full responsibility to build 4 other team mates yearly budgets.
Pros
company vehicle, clean safe hotels for travel & company yearly meeting award ceremonies
Cons
an unfortunate fall out with a supervisor.
Work hard, get rewarded with termination without cause
Manager (Former Employee) –  MinongNovember 4, 2014
When the advise given from one manager to another is "don't micromanage MY project with safety "stuff" - you know how much they care. When they promote a plant manager who comes from another food plant that allowed it's worker to have his arm ripped off due to lack of training, which results in +320K in OSHA fines - you know where the priorities lie.
Pros
lots of free bribes, i mean clothing
Cons
zero upper managment support
A work place where you work yourself to death - IF you wish too
Klockner Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Corp. office - Minong, Wi - Production PlantAugust 22, 2013
A typical work day could be anything from what you were actually hired for to anywhere they need you to be.

What I learned was how to hang jerky in a 32 degree environment without giving up within 6 months; for this is how long it takes to move on to another level or section of the plant. I moved on into the steakline area and became very proficiant in delivering the meat from a meat shoot, even with the speed rack game.

I next moved on to become a machine operator where we package the finished cooked jerky to which I loved ! I really miss all my coworkers and bosses as well.

The hardest part of the job was at the end of the night about 2am we had to wash everything in sinks that did not fit the parts and in soap that makes you sick over a period of about 4 month.

The most enjoyable part of the job was after my husband died I went there to have some socialization in my life and I realy just had fun.
Pros
lots of free jack link stuff all the time. my house is full of it and about 40 t-shirts i bought
Cons
your work is never enough. finish that? we got some more for you.
An OK job but not a career
Smokehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNApril 7, 2014
By far the most frustrating job I've ever had. Management is always looking to save a buck on equipment or pay.
Review
Executive Assistant Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minong, WIAugust 20, 2012
My coworkers are great, it's a very relaxed environment.

Work hard, play hard, is our philosophy.

Jack's Way is the right way.
Great Company
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Underwood, IAJanuary 23, 2014
Great staff, friendly environment. Many opportunities to advance within the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Link's Beef Jerky. Our community is ready to answer.