Jackson County Employee Reviews

Easy but with laziness culture
Beach Manager (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJune 30, 2016
Easy job with continuation and advancement opportunities if you will do the work. Tend to make additional rules mid-season that nobody likes and nobody gets a chance to object to. Middle of the day shifts that make it hard to plan anything around. Tend to hire the first people to apply out of fear for not getting enough applicants because the pay is below average by as much as $3.00/hr. This results in the same poor quality workers getting hired repeatedly because they applied and passed a drug and background test. The culture is one of laziness and insubordination because the direct supervisors have no real authority over their employees and their supervisors refuse to fire anyone because they are too afraid of not having enough workers. However, they are great people, easy to talk to, and attempt to resolve any facility maintenance issues promptly. If you are willing to put up with the bad apples, there are still some good apples here as well.
Pros
Occasional Free Lunches, Relaxed Environment
Cons
Lazy employees, NO authority over employees or patrons
Volunteer
Assist visitors upon arrival (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 17, 2016
When I was working for Jackson County I was doing more of volunteer work. I wanted some more office experience. The ladies in the office gave me projects to work on such as filling.
My typical workday
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 2, 2016
My typical work day, I get to work go to my assigned post, I do well being checks on inmates every 25 minutes, I do bunk inspections, escort inmates to other parts of the facility. I write reports, I do daily stats, etc. The management is okay, there is still alot of work that needs to happen within the facility, we are very short staffed, the hardest part of the job is the long hours, and not knowing whats going to happen on a day to day basis, because inmates are very unpredictable. The most enjoyable part of the job is some of my co-workers.
Pros
health insurance, vision and dental, all the days off.
Cons
sometimes no breaks, very short staffed, long hours.
Public Service employment
Senior Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 16, 2016
The County is a political employer and changes with the election season can be challenging. The co-workers are great and I have the ability to make an impact in my daily work.
Pros
job security
Cons
political environment
Real estate, GIS, data entry
Real Estate Clerk & GIS Tech (Current Employee) –  Holton, KSJanuary 5, 2016
I spent a lot of time exporting ,analyzing, and entering data and working on a GIS map. I enjoy new challenges and learning new things.
Nothing good to say
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORNovember 3, 2015
Would not recommend the department i worked for.....not good management... this department was mis ran and they dismiss you with no reason
Perfect government agency to take care of family issues
Court Clerk II/Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 2, 2015
Enjoyed working with the staff and learning about the procedures of how families are dealt with that have issues with their children. Did learn quite a lot
Pros
Dependable pay
Cons
Temporary
Good benefits, but not much else
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson CountyMay 20, 2015
the summary pretty much says it all. benefits are good. paid holidays. monday through friday schedule. the pay is minimal. there is no room for advancement.
Highlt political. Pray the media doesn't highlight your loss.
Assistant Prosecuting Attorney (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, Missouri/KansasMarch 31, 2015
You can get fired for not winning a controversial/media attended case. On the flip side, controversial/media attended cases may be assigned to you for the purpose of getting you fired.

I am proud to say that I lasted nearly 9 years in the Jackson County Prosecutor's office despite being a conservative with NO political affiliation with the Jackson County political machines.
Pros
Intimate knowledge of what is going on in Jackson County
Cons
NOT a family friendly employer
Small town policing with search and rescue opportunities galore
Patrol Deputy, Sergeant, Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walden, COJanuary 9, 2015
Working for Sheriff Fischer was one of the highlights of my career
Pros
opportunity to do things that working in las vegas did not
Cons
small town politics
Jackson County was a great place to work. They were very family oriented which helped when the kids were younger.
Deputy Tax Assessor Clerk, Appraiser, Mapping (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSSeptember 29, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of assisting customers with questions about their homestead exemption, property taxes and their appraisal value. I have learned so much about my customers and taking the extra time to help them in every which way I could. I would always go above and beyond ensuring they understood everything to the fullest. I would say the hardest part of the job was some of the schooling which required a lot of studying but was worth it. I enjoyed my customers the most. When they came in ranting and raving I always tried to make them smile and understand the situation.
Pros
worked as a family and enjoyed meeting some many people.
Cons
really none.
productive
Summer worker (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSSeptember 21, 2014
I learned some mechanic things at work. I moved golf carts and cooked.
Pros
nice people
Cons
short breaks
Very high pace and great co-workers
Temporary Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 9, 2014
This was a temporary position that showed me so much, but short lived.
Out door life, in the woods, accomodating the public, fishing, hiking,
Jackson County junior park ranger (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORNovember 10, 2013
I maintained the Howard Prairie Campground, maintained the boats, cleaned the bathrooms, operated a tractor per the Ranger's instructions, assisting in firewood availability, sold gasoline and propane to customers, rented boats,

I also did some picking up of trash at the other Jackson County Campgrounds around Howard Prairie Lake
Pros
campground rent
Cons
none come to mind
Productive Company
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 12, 2013
This job is basically keeping the inmates in order, from this job i learned how to frisk down a inmate, the hardest part of this job is seeing one of your close friends in jail .
I loved this job
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAFebruary 21, 2013
I worked 2 different positions for Jackson county. As a foster parent and then later as a Court Appointed Special Advocate. It was fullfilling and rewarding. I enjoyed it very much. If I had not needed to move I would still be there.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
you get attached tot he children and have to let them go
Were an OK company, not great. Did a lot of work that I liked very much, however.
Advertising as a graphics artist (Former Employee) –  400 Crater Lake AvenueDecember 5, 2012
I worked for just under a year at Jackson County Advertising.
Pros
did a lot of creative work i liked.
Cons
not a well-organized company
Great opportuniy
Post Traumatic Stress Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, CANovember 8, 2012
Job security minimal with state budgets. Great opportunity.
management
Chief Deputy A/T to County Auditor/Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MNJune 7, 2012
Compensation was less than similar level employees due to one newly hired (new position) employee in management
benefits
Cons
compensation level

2.9