Jackson Hewitt Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,449 reviews matching the search
Great work atmosphere
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 23, 2016
Working at Jackson Hewitt was on the best challenges of my career.
I would open up and typically close the office I worked in. I learned a lot about tax preparation and finances. Jackson Hewitt was a small family that cared for there employees and always pulled together as a team. My co workers came from diverse back ground accounting, realistate and even the school system all for different reason.The most self rewarding part of my day was saving the customer money by educating the on there taxes.
Pros
not micro managed
Cons
seasonal position no benefits
Productive and enjoyable and some time unpredictable workplace.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJanuary 12, 2016
The on-line courses are excellent. Some days are slow and others very busy. I learned the up-dates from season to season and refreshed my tax knowledge before each season. Management is good. Co-workers are good people. The hardest part of the job would be handling an upset client. The most enjoyable part of the job was how friendly co-workers were.
Pros
A raise each season.
Cons
Sometimes no breaks.
good
Tax Preparer (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 5, 2016
I personally work with a great group. Everyone helps one another. that is unusual it most places I have worked. They want everyone to get as much education as possible, which is key in this line of work. There is room to advance and they make you aware of it. It benefits you and the company. I have learned so much.
It has changed for the better!!
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 28, 2015
Although seasonal and no benefits and the pay is average for the industry i really enjoyed this past season and i am looking forward to next season. We got a new area manager this season and she really cares about the people. She challenged us, acknowledged us, and thanked us. Never had that with prior management. This company is growing and I'm looking forward to seeing my clients this season. Training was much better too
Pros
Better training, flexible hours, great environment
Cons
Sometimes its slow, want advanced training, would like to have more steady hours
Seasonal work but in a great atmosphere.
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMarch 8, 2016
I enjoy meeting new people and catching up with returning clients. I have awesome franchise owners. I can work as much as I want or as little as I want to.
Pros
Available every year
Cons
Seasonal with no benefits
Learned the tax business without trying to
Office/ Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSNovember 19, 2015
JH was a laidback environment, I was able to work with limited supervision. They were always open to new ideas. Staff was of mature age group which caused interesting conversations, The amount of work I had at times was overwhelming, but management allowed me to work at my own pace, as long as it was finised in a timely manner.
Pros
Limited supervision, open to suggestions
Cons
Hourly pay, benefits, hours worked
Productive workplace with great coworkers.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 4, 2015
A typical day at work consists of having in depth interviews with customers while doing their taxes. When not busy, my day would consist of online studying to expand my knowledge to better my work. I learned a lot of extra things when it comes to doing taxes compared to what I knew before doing them. My management was great. Was always willing to answer any questions I had, or helped me with some of the more complicated things when I needed it. They held a very friendly work environment while being professional. I didn't have very many coworkers I worked with in my shifts I worked, but the few that I worked with were very friendly and easy to talk to while we all stayed professional while at work. The hardest part of my job was when it came to doing taxes, was remembering all of the rules and stipulations when it came to scenarios that didn't come up very often. The more enjoyable part of my job was dealing with clients. Most of my clients were always very happy when they came in and were easy to have conversations with while doing their interview.
Pros
Lunch breaks. End of season party.
Cons
No benefits. Low pay.
Overview of my experience with this company
Tax Preparer (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Hernando, MSFebruary 16, 2016
A typical day at work consists of ensuring the customers are completely satisfied as I prepare their taxes and looking through files to inspect prepared taxes to see what processes have been competed and the day of disbursement. The management could be better, coworkers are wonderful to work with and the hardest part of the job is that management seems to have a hard time with providing us with the tools we need to climb the ladder of success. I really enjoy meeting new people.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Long hours during peak season
Good work for temporary
Tax Preparer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTDecember 26, 2015
Training is free.
Got to enjoy the people interface.
Angry people at the taxeturn.
Taxes are not a 20 minute job. If time is taken benefits occur
Cons
Family values in the workplace make it feel comfotable
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 25, 2016
I started out as a tax preparer and by mid tax season I was a store manager. I opened and closed a office, made my own schedule, filed, corrected rejected returns, and what ever tasks needed for a smooth workflow in the office. I learned how important is to listen before responding to a matter. In management the office or department you manage is will depict your management skills, whether they are good or bad. The hardest part of this job was to remain professional in all areas of work; for example, rotating the schedule to allow each employee to get every other week end off because of call ins was a nightmare, I had to make sure not to offend anyone. I enjoyed meeting new people and networking, it allowed me to experience new places to go and see with my family.
Pros
paid luch, make my own schedule, and the insurace
Cons
Fun job with a family of people
Tax Preparer/ Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 8, 2016
Job was very fast paced. It was exciting to see the way people felt when they knew they were getting a refund. We always worked until close, even if a customer came in five minutes before close. Management dug in and worked long hours through the busy season. The job required the highest levels of accuracy and integrity.
Pros
The management and job atmosphere
Cons
Seasonal
Not the best company to work with.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Port Chester, NYNovember 29, 2015
You do your job; get your salary and leave; you do not get attached. Workers are not paid what they worth...... it's not the best company to work for but it's what's out there......
Very productive and efficent
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2015
At Jackson Hewitt, we are like a small family, the atmosphere is very relaxing and comfortable and managable. Our clients are top priority, making sure they are taken care of quickly and efficiently as possible. I enjoy working with people, it is sometimes fast pace which I enjoy being busy and multitasking.
Pros
Sometimes we get free lunch, and our boss treats us to goodies
Cons
I don't have any health benefits
great job
Assisting clients (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILMarch 8, 2016
Worked in customer service and took incoming calls from customers. there was lots of room for advancement. The best on the job was feeling great about your self when you help solve a problem for a customer and they have continued to keep their service.
Pros
helping customers
Cons
nor respect given by management
A Great Start
Tax Consultant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calumet City, ILMay 11, 2016
This was my first job in the tax industry and was directly responsible for my interest in Accounting. My days were filled with tax preparation, and problem solving. I think I learned more about how to resolve issues as a preparer and later as a shift manager.

The franchise owner and the office manager her great to work with but expected the best out of all preparers. My co-workers were fun and knowledgable on the job. Jackson Hewitt created an atmosphere of great customer service which was exhibited by all employees.

The hardest part of this job was the expectations of the clients. Many expected more than we were able to give.

The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with the clients. Everyday was filled with laughter.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Volume of customers per tax preparer
Workplace and life as a whole
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 28, 2016
A typical day at work is a day full of clients. some clients more respectful of others. I learn while working at Jackson Hewitt everyone attitude is different you are not always going to have a nice client you will have nasty clients but you as a employee must stand your ground and continue to be nice. The management while working at Jackson Hewitt was the best manager overall because we communicated more effectively then anyone of my other managers. The hardest part of my job? I can honestly say it wasn't any hard parts it was some not so easy task that i had to complete but it wasn't nothing that I couldn't complete. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people, and learning new task that i have never did before.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Productive and fun
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MAApril 28, 2016
In my first accounting job, I had a very good experience. There was paid training before the tax season officialy started. Where the training was done in the Jackson Hewitt Main office in Smithfield, RI. Then once tax season started, I had started working on my own with my own office in Hanover, MA. A typical day of work was working inside a Walmart doing marketing, making appointments and preparing taxes for customers. I had prepared taxes for people from all different aspects of life. From people starting off their careers with what can be considered returns going to retirees who have more complex tax returns. The hardest part of the job was in the beginning where I was working by myself. Then as I got to be more comfortable with meeting new people, that was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Flexible schedule for dr's appointments if no tax return appointments are made
Cons
Can be driving a far distance from home
An interesting place to work
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Clute, TXFebruary 12, 2016
I have enjoyed the new challenges presented with working for this Franchise of Jackson Hewitt, I have worked for Corporate stores but this have been a new experience.

My co-workers are wonderful people whom I have enjoyed a great deal, and my immediate upper management is a lovely woman who works hard but has a heart of gold. The Franchise owner on the other hand is a difficult man with limited experience with the actual day to day operations and tasks of running a tax prep company. This has caused some difficulty when trying to solve problems you run into throughout the season.
Pros
flexible hours
Advancement available to the willing and dedicated employee.
TAX PREPARER/OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXFebruary 13, 2016
Very good company to work with. Lots of competitive skills obtained with this job. This company had great leadership with many avenues for advancement and on the job training to allow one to gain invaluable experience and skills.
Pros
everything, decent pay, hours, freedom to work and grow, and customers galore.
Cons
short season
Productive, fun place to work. Very positive working environment
Call center agent (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAApril 18, 2016
I enjoyed working for this company, particularly at the Fullerton location. The management was very caring and sensitive to the needs of the employees as well as the company. It was a fun place to work , while still maintaining a professional attitude.
The training was was thorough and easy to learn. The supervisors were helpful and available if needed.
I have continued ongoing relationships with several of the coworkers. The hardest part of the job was knowing the season would end and we would miss it. The most enjoyable part was going to work and enjoying the comaraderie.
Pros
break room with snack and drink vending machines, coffee pot and supplies, fridge
Cons
seasonal