Jackson National Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Good place to start, and that's about it
Mobile Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 8, 2016
I worked in PGDS, a branch of Jackson's IT infrastructure department for about 4 years and it definitely has it's downs. The management loves to play office politics and favoritism, so much so that I at some points would literally have nothing to do, which isn't too bad when you make 60k a year but it gets old real quick. Once management pegs you as a favorite or not, it's all up or downhill from there. You'll either get tons of rewarding work, learn lots of cool stuff or you'll get completely shafted, never picked to do anything and never advanced at all. They will literally sit back and watch you rot until you decide to quit.

Don't work here for more than 5 years
Pros
good food, good work/life balance
Cons
Office politics, favoritism, complacency, nepotism
Great place to work!
Strategic Support Associate (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 25, 2017
Great benefits, room for advancement, 401k benefits even if part time, work with your schedule, great place to meet new friends! Overall great place to work!
Terrible place Invest Financial
Supervision (Former Employee) –  Invest,Tampa,FlJuly 12, 2016
Worst place I have ever worked.Management lacks the most important quality-people skills.They try to intimidate and harass people who are not part of their draconian crowd.They promote unqualified people who have no idea what they're doing and do not have common social skills or sense.There are dinosaur managers like in the Operations Dept who are nearing retirement and do not really care what's happening around them which leads to internal discontent and confusion.The company has really gone downhill since 2009 when the present,cocky CEO started.They grade your phone calls on a pompous system generated from Jackson in East Lansing.Work quality,punctuality mean nothing,just follow their phone script and you will be ok.The workload is crazy,you're Set up to fail.Micromanagers permeate the whole lousy place.They're Typical liberals,either you agree with their egregious disregard for people or you are singled out as a troublemaker.

I repeat,WORST PLACE I EVER WORKED.STAY AWAY.ITS NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE AND FRUSTRATION THAT IS EVER PRESENT DAILY
Pros
401K-6% match, PSP
Cons
All the above, too many to mention
Butts in the seat
Client Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 13, 2016
If you're looking to get SerIes 6 and 7 FINRA registered, Jackson is a good stopping point. I've worked in call center environments in different capacities for over 10 years, and never have I experienced a place like Jackson. Very little room for advancement OUTSIDE of the Service Center, even with an advanced degree. If you do apply for an internal position, you're required to notify your current manager, which results in excessive harrassment in an effort to thwart your aspirations. High management turnover, constant turnover of call reps, probably because they hire people with advanced degrees and only want to start their pay at $15 and some change. The compensation is laughable for the amount of information you're required to know and the level of quality expected on every call. The Lansing office received huge tax breaks for their recent expansion, but none of those savings were rolled down to the employees. Pay increases during annual reviews are minimal, breaks and lunches are taken away during peak call seasons, and they couldn't care less about a work/family balance.

I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone. Save your sanity. I'm so glad I left!
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, company-sponsored FINRA registration
Cons
Lack of true leadership, dishonest, unprofessional leadership, poor wages, very little room for advancement
great place to work
Broker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 17, 2016
great place to work and the people were wonderful. I learned a lot from this job. The benefits were awesome and so was the whole environment. My managers were the best and were easy to work for. I miss them.
Jnl
Remittance Processor II (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 13, 2016
Good company to work for, though it's a big company, they make you feel like that you're working with family.The opportunity for advancement is encouraged.
Pros
Pay, benefits, work culture, retirement
Cons
Starting pay
Professional and well life balance.
Treasury Intern (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAAugust 26, 2016
Great way to start of one's professional career as you develop yourself as a professional as soon as you start working. Regardless overall experience is fabulous.
Flexible
Strategic Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNNovember 27, 2016
This is a great job for students, especially graduate students! They provide an enormous amount of flexibility. My program often has events that pop up with little notice and Jackson is great at accommodating my schedule.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Can be monotonous
Field Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 13, 2017
JNL is a great place to work. The Field Staff position allowed me to tell them what hours worked best for me so that I could still care for my family.
Good workplace with growing opportunites
Strategic Support Associate/Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 6, 2016
Great and growing company. Good culture and management. Lot's of opportunities. Can get tedious at time if doing computer work, but plenty of opportunities outside of that area.
Jackson
Director - Operational Risk Management (Present) (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 7, 2015
Great place to work, by far and away the best in the mid-Michigan area. Great culture, benefits and people. Love the pace. Management rewards hard work and creative thought.
Pros
Culture, People, Benefits
Team Player
OPS Associate III (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 4, 2016
I enjoy the challenges of being a leader and role model to many of my peers and provide positive feedback whenever necessary.
Strong and Stable Company
Administrative Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 6, 2013
Jackson National Life was initially were I laid the foundation for my administrative career. I started as a typist in Customer Service department and worked my way through the ranks to my final position as Administrative Assistant to Vice President of Broker Management. I appreciate those at JNL who gave me the opportunity to grow in my profession.
Pros
flexibility in my schedule, new state of the art building, friendly people.
Cons
advancement to a senior level assistant level were not likely to open any time soon.
Product not stable--Sales culture lacks integrity
Wholesaler (Current Employee) –  DenverJuly 12, 2012
The Denver and Nashville call centers are primarely comprised of recent college graduates hired through the CDP program. The professionalism, or lack of, and the college fraternity atmosphere make this not a friendly firm for many people. The pay scale for this sales force of approximately 200+ has been reduced over time and will most likely continue to be reduced due to forecasted lack of demand for their current product.

3 years ago the Jackson sales desk was a sales culture where wholesalers could earn significant incomes if they did their job right. Over time though that changed. Why pay an industry veteran 85K / year when you can pay a college grad rookie 50K?

Currently Jackson is going for broke with the new Elite Access product. Turnover is high and probably will increase. No word on layoffs as this is not confirmed, however this might not be the best time to work for Jackson as they are struggling to survive in a market where stockholders fear living and death benefits on Variable contracts.
Pros
solid pay, good benefits
Cons
corporate culture, clanish, whos who atmosphere
SOS temporary associate
Strategic Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 10, 2014
I work in multiple business units at Jackson National Life. They are a great company to work for! I have worked for Jackson for 4 years and I am 100% work at home. They allow me a flexible schedule and the management is very understanding of my limited availability. This company is great for people working and going to school.
Pros
set your own schedule/ WAH access
Cons
Compensation is not industry standard/ upward mobility is limited
Great Company with room for advancement.
Processor I (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 9, 2014
Jackson has great hours and with lots of opportunities for voluntary overtime. I enjoy my co-workers and the culture at Jackson is a positive one. The management is generally understanding and facilitating to employees attempting to moving up within in the company.
Great Company overall
Customer Service Expert (Service Associate) (Former Employee) –  Lansing MiJuly 19, 2013
Jackson is a great company over all. The Call Center has a poor culture, poor leadership
Pros
great pay great benefits
Cons
cancelled brakes and some times lunches. require you to remember to much and make changes daily
fast paced and sometimes intense place to work
Reissue Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 10, 2013
There was always work to do, and I was on a strict timeline. Because agents were working on strictly commission, I needed to be able to get everything to them as quickly as possible so clients could complete any necessary medical tests or arrange whatever was needed so the underwriting process could take place. I was trained as an underwriter and could underwrite up to $50,000.00 policies on my own without sending policies to senior underwriters. Management in some cases could be "clueless" with regard to what was needed to happen before a policy could be reissued. As in most places of employment there were co-workers that were great to work with, and others not so much. But whatever was asked of me and whoever I had to work with, I did so without question. The most enjoyable part of the job was actually learning new things and being promoted without even knowing that someone in another department thought so highly of me and my work ethic that they personally requested me. All-in-all I enjoyed working for the company.
Nice work atmosphere
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 10, 2013
This company invests a lot in their employees. It provides individual work stations equipped with computers, head-sets, phones, files, fax, and any other items needed to complete your work. The insurance and benefits and bonuses were nice and the Monday thru Friday work week provided a fantastic life and work balance.
Pros
investment in equipment, bonuses, insurance, short and long term disability, interesting and informative work that was relevant and helpful to your own personal life.
Cons
tied to a computer work station for the duration of your shift
This is a review for INVEST Financial in Tampa, FL (owned by Jackson)
drone (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 15, 2014
INVEST Financial is the lowest paying financial institution in the St Pete/Tampa area. Unlike most other super low paying companies, this company is somehow thriving. If they weren’t so greedy, they could easily pay more respectable salaries and stay within their budget. However, the upper management here sincerely believes that people show up to work for reasons other than to receive a paycheck. Managers here often say that the employees don’t need to be paid fairly because they are at INVEST for “opportunity for growth,” “love of the game,” “self-fulfillment,” and other such nonsense.

Unfortunately, you’ll find no fulfillment being constantly micromanaged and only being assigned menial tasks. For example, it isn’t uncommon for a rookie employee to be assigned to spell-check and write emails for their manager. Most management here is illiterate, and grammar mistakes run rampant in company-wide email. In addition to illiteracy, you’ll find that most of the management here either doesn’t have the proper FINRA licenses to hold their position, or have lovely glamour shots on www.mugshots.com

What does this all mean? It means that the managers here can never get hired anywhere else, which of course means that you can never be promoted to management. Even if there was any room for growth here, the maximum pay increase on any promotion is 10% of your wimpy salary. This is soul crushing because if you work here, then you’re only making peanuts, and 10% of peanuts is still only peanuts.

The only good thing about this goofy place is that they will sponsor ANYONE
  more... for a Series 7 license and pay for the books. Once you get your Series 7, you can walk out the door the very next day with absolutely no penalties. You owe it to yourself and your family to get paid what you are worth, so get your Series 7 and go apply to USAA, Raymond James, Merrill Lynch, Franklin Templeton, JW Cole, Transamerica, NY Life, TRowe Price, or any company in the area that respects their employees enough to pay livable wages.
So get in, get your Series 7, and GET OUT!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jackson National Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Jackson National Life Insurance Company Reviews by Location