Jacksonville State University

Jacksonville State University United States Employee Reviews

Several transferable skills.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALMarch 11, 2015
Pros: free room, fast paced, team work, creative outlet, great management
Cons: very little pay, live where you work
I assisted in helping residents transition from living at home to living on their own. In addition to this, I was a sort of mentor for several of the residents, assisting in their day to day lives, with any questions regarding campus life or school they might have had. In addition to this, I conducted many health and safety checks, where I was making sure that the girls were living in a clean and healthy way that benefited their well-being. This was a job that involved a lot of teamwork, as any work was usually done in pairs. I also developed a lot of creative programs in order to educate the students, and to build a sense of community on the hall. I loved this job, but I am graduating soon, and am no longer going to be able to be employed with the university. However, a lot of this job is customer service, and it has taught me important skills such as communication, data entry, and others.
Graduate Assistant in Strength and Conditioning
Strength/Conditioning Graduate Ast. (Current Employee), Jacksonville, ALFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: build relationships with athletes and have free workouts while working in the gym.
Cons: long days about 12 hours
A typical day I arrive at work around 5:30 am and begin setting up for the day. Most sports come in the morning and lift and work out as a team. I am in charge of assisting the main coach in helping out with warm ups, stretching, spotting, and conditioning. I primarily work with and write the workouts for the tennis team both men and woman's program.
Enjoyable workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: free housing
Cons: working where you live
Being an RA, it is hard to seperate work life and life as a regular college student. However, it is a very rewarding job that helped me grow as a person. I learned how to communicate with people who have difficult personalities. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping freshmen girls adapt to college life and seeing them grow into the person that they are.
Jacksonville State University offers their employees so many great benefits in education, salary and teacher's retirement.
Secretary III (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: great retirement system
Cons: limited vacation time in the summer months
Jacksonville State University was a great place to work. I worked with some of the finest staff and professors at the university. I especially loved the students. I was always interacting with student workers and students who used the testing program at the Center for Individualized Instruction. It was very rewarding to see students succeed and watch them graduate. The summers were especially busy with three semesters and summer groups and camps to schedule.
JSU
Learning Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALDecember 30, 2014
Pros: coworkers and students
I typically worked with an average of 30 students every 6-8 weeks, assisting them with the graduation exam for JSU. The co-workers were great and part of a great team. There was no memorable hard part of the job. The most enjoyable aspect was telling students they passed the exam and could graduate from college.
excellent technology program and workplace environment
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALDecember 1, 2014
I worked as a lab technician for the department of technology at JSU, networking computers on their LAN intranet. I attended under the work-study program, and was employed there for several years as a worked my way through college.
Small department with friendly faces.
STUDENT PATROL (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALNovember 11, 2014
A typical day included checking and locking buildings. Campus events were patrolled by the student workers as well. I loved this job.
Great place to begin
Communications Officer (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALOctober 27, 2014
An excellent starter job with opportunity to advance into different jobs and different locations. The position allows the employee to begin to address needs to advance his or her career.
Enjoyed my 15 years as Chief of Police & Security on a campus of 8,000 students and about 700 employees
Adjunct Associate Professor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, Alabama .October 10, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: 24/7 on-call responsibility
Jacksonville State University is a regional state-supported university which, in some ways, as the characteristics, issues and needs as a small city. As a certified police officer with continuing job development training I served as the chief law enforcement officials. My role and position was respected by students, employees and management. I led the Police Department to National Accreditation while there. I supervised about 40 part-time and 20 full-time employees with 24/7 coverage.
teacher
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: research
Researched & prepared lecture notes, lecture, preparing & grading exams.
Productive and fun day on the job
Internship (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALMay 19, 2014
Pros: being a mentor
Cons: having to leave
A typical day during internship was learning about the dreams and expectations of the youth of the community. My teachers and coaches were my management. My co-workers were classmates which made the job enjoyable. The hardest part was leaving the various sites and having to build new relationships with various youth students
Lab Instructor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: experiance, and some freedom
Slow paced environment. Great Bosses, coworkers are friendly, workplace environment is great.
Loved working there.
Jacksonville State University Student Ambassador (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALAugust 23, 2013
Pleasant place to work. Co-workers very nice. Beautiful campus!!
Efficient
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALAugust 21, 2013
fun place to work and also help people with workouts and diets.
Camp Instructor
Camp Assistant Instructor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALAugust 19, 2013
Worked as a baseball camp assistant instructor, teaching youth the fundamentals of baseball as well as teaching them teamwork and how to achieve goals both individually and collectively. This was not a full time job, in fact it only happened a few times in a couple years. As players we were chosen to work with the kids based on our baseball abilities as well as chosen by the coaches because of our interpersonal skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was inspiring young kids to have the same love for the game of baseball that I did. The hardest part is working with other people and different personalities, especially when those personalities are 6-13 years of age.
Great two year experience.
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALAugust 15, 2013
Working for the university was awesome. I had the opportunity to work in different dormitories and meet several people. One thing I liked most about this job was that when students had questions regarding school related issues they came to me for assistance.
Night Desk Supervisor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALAugust 8, 2013
- I worked 8 hours
- how to manage people and work facilities
- Management worked as a team overall they were pretty good
- the job was not hard at all
- working wit the crew I worked with we had fun while working
Best College Job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, AlabamaApril 24, 2013
I had learned to deal with multiple personalities in this position. As a college student, I came out of my comfort zone, and became the man I am today. I'm out of the box, a social person, and not afraid to speak in front of the people. I am a better leader because of this job.
Great Place to work
Student Worker (Current Employee), Jacksonville, ALApril 23, 2013
Pros: schedule flexibility, great coworkers.
Cons: pay was not great. you only get 20 hours a week
I worked here as a student worker. It was a great job because I got to know a lot of the professors on the business department and it gave time to study and keep my grades up.
Jax State
Student-Athletic Trainer (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ALApril 13, 2013
I loved working for the athletic department for Jacksonville State University. I learned a lot. I would do it again. I got to travel and make great relationships with the people who work there as well as the athletes. They also help pay for my tuition which was great for my pocket.