Jacksonville State University Employee Reviews

Financial Aide
Clerical Asst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, AL 36265November 3, 2016
I worked in Scholarships and Veterans Affairs. Helped students with their enrollments every semester. I answered the phone and processed Scholarship checks for deposit. At times I would have to help students with their financial aide information.

Enjoyed working with the best group of people at the University.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough time to get everything completed. Needed more people in this office.
Solid experience, good environment, too low pay
Academic Athletic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALMarch 8, 2017
Since I lived on campus the location convenience was great, but the pay feels too low and we only received once a month, 2 weeks after the pay period ended.

Good, relatively relaxed environment.
Productive and fun workplace
Physical plant worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, AlabamaJanuary 10, 2017
It's a great company to work for. Great pay, fun people and job security. It's a competitive job, but has the ability to move up higher positions.
Pros
Indoors, meet new people
Cons
Extremely dirty job at times ..
Fun Work Enviorment
STUDENT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALMarch 8, 2017
Jacksonville is a very nice place to work for. They are fery flexible if you are a student worker. The breaks are short but most of the time you are not very busy.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Short Breaks
Fantastic Management
Student Assistant Graduate Studies (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALNovember 13, 2016
I worked here as a Student Aid in the Graduate Studies department while I was in college. I did not make tons of money, but I loved the people I worked with.
Daily Shift Summary
Utility Worker and Ground Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALJuly 5, 2016
Complete task through work orders and working hand and hand with the Jacksonville State University Housing department to ensure work in being completed in a timely manner. Work orders can be from replacing broken beds, bringing in new furniture, cleaning buildings, or any task needed to be done
Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALSeptember 15, 2016
Be nice...
Write your notes....
write your notes...
write your notes....
Overall, not a bad experience
Assistant Residence Life Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALAugust 21, 2016
I worked as an Assistant Residence Life Coordinator while getting my master's degree and I can honestly say that I am eternally grateful for this opportunity. I was able to get my degree for free and I did not have to work too often (average about 30 hours a week including being on-call). The school is small enough that you get to know who goes there as a student and who works there and it also makes it easy to get around the school. The majority of the students are very friendly and the faculty and staff are generally helpful.

With that being said, not all times were enjoyable. The pay as an ARLC was not great and there were times that upper management did things that were questionable (legally speaking), but you were at least told why things were happening how they were. Being a grad student, we were treated lower than the RAs and some of the DAs that worked, but at least we got our degree for free.

Oh, and the food on campus (not the dining hall) was awesome! If you go here, be sure to check out WOW Cafe next to the dining hall. Their wings and spicy chicken wrap are amazing!!
Pros
Free degree; Small school; Easy to learn on the job; Great food
Cons
Low pay; Questionable management; Treated poorly as employees
Night Desk assistant
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALApril 18, 2016
This job is great. I reccommend any student on campus apply for it. It has taught me a lot about the importance of arriving early as well as well knowing your clients and residents.
Not the best pay
Campus Desk Assistant/ Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALJanuary 7, 2016
They don't really pay you enough to put up with their weird ways of doing things and how peculiar that the upper management is. I liked this place to work at, however, it could have been 100% better to their employees. I would work here if you go to school there.
Pros
play on laptop 90% of the time
Cons
Managment.

Want to know more about Jacksonville State University?

Ask a question
Student work study job
Bird Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALJanuary 21, 2016
Job was an work/study position. Worked on my schedule. Cleaned animal cages and ensured all birds where alive. Would have like a little more love and care to have been given to birds. They where lab experiment birds.
Graduate Assistant in Strength and Conditioning
Strength/Conditioning Graduate Ast. (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALFebruary 6, 2015
A typical day I arrive at work around 5:30 am and begin setting up for the day. Most sports come in the morning and lift and work out as a team. I am in charge of assisting the main coach in helping out with warm ups, stretching, spotting, and conditioning. I primarily work with and write the workouts for the tennis team both men and woman's program.
Pros
Build relationships with athletes and have free workouts while working in the gym.
Cons
Long days about 12 hours
Jacksonville State University offers their employees so many great benefits in education, salary and teacher's retirement.
Secretary III (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALJanuary 11, 2015
Jacksonville State University was a great place to work. I worked with some of the finest staff and professors at the university. I especially loved the students. I was always interacting with student workers and students who used the testing program at the Center for Individualized Instruction. It was very rewarding to see students succeed and watch them graduate. The summers were especially busy with three semesters and summer groups and camps to schedule.
Pros
Great retirement system
Cons
Limited vacation time in the summer months
Enjoyable workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALFebruary 5, 2015
Being an RA, it is hard to seperate work life and life as a regular college student. However, it is a very rewarding job that helped me grow as a person. I learned how to communicate with people who have difficult personalities. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping freshmen girls adapt to college life and seeing them grow into the person that they are.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
Working where you live
Enjoyed my 15 years as Chief of Police & Security on a campus of 8,000 students and about 700 employees
Adjunct Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, Alabama .October 10, 2014
Jacksonville State University is a regional state-supported university which, in some ways, as the characteristics, issues and needs as a small city. As a certified police officer with continuing job development training I served as the chief law enforcement officials. My role and position was respected by students, employees and management. I led the Police Department to National Accreditation while there. I supervised about 40 part-time and 20 full-time employees with 24/7 coverage.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
24/7 on-call responsibility
earned my degree in social work
Student (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALMarch 26, 2012
I did not work at JSU. I attended classes there. I am one month away from earning my BSW. I have enjoyed the classes that I have taken. They include basic classes and Human Behavior, Case management, research in social justice, marriage and family, policy, practice 1, 2, and 3 to name a few. I feel that attending the campus has allowed me to grow as a person and develope the skills that I need to work as a social worker. I am excited to begin my career.
Pros
the campus is close to my home, and i have learned the skills for my future
Cons
jsu does not have a masters degree program
Camp Instructor
Camp Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALAugust 19, 2013
Worked as a baseball camp assistant instructor, teaching youth the fundamentals of baseball as well as teaching them teamwork and how to achieve goals both individually and collectively. This was not a full time job, in fact it only happened a few times in a couple years. As players we were chosen to work with the kids based on our baseball abilities as well as chosen by the coaches because of our interpersonal skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was inspiring young kids to have the same love for the game of baseball that I did. The hardest part is working with other people and different personalities, especially when those personalities are 6-13 years of age.
Student Worker for Health Facility
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALDecember 18, 2012
This position is probably one of the easiest college jobs you can have, but it teaches you to balance your work life with your studies. During this job I increased my management skills as well as my people skills. The most difficult part of the job was making sure every student was checked into the facility and maintaining facility rules, while the easiest part was being able to socialize and meet new people everyday.
enjoyed attending classes and earning my degree.
School (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALMay 5, 2012
I earned by BSW from JSU and feel lucky to have chosen this as my career path. I learned to assess clients, listen and make informed decisions about the next course of action. I learned to look at a clients strenghts and not just their needs. I networked with other agencies and volunteered at hospice and did my intership at the department of human services with a focus in child welfare. I was able to work on comprehensive family assements and case reviews. My supervisor at my internship was a great mentor and I feel this prepared my for my next steps in my career. I hardest part of going to school was balancing family and course work. I best part has been the connections that I have made with friends I will have forever and earning my degree.
Pros
degree
Cons
time involved
Productive and fun day on the job
Internship (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALMay 19, 2014
A typical day during internship was learning about the dreams and expectations of the youth of the community. My teachers and coaches were my management. My co-workers were classmates which made the job enjoyable. The hardest part was leaving the various sites and having to build new relationships with various youth students
Pros
Being a mentor
Cons
Having to leave

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jacksonville State University. Our community is ready to answer.

Jacksonville State University Reviews by Location