Jamaica Hospital Medical Center

Jamaica Hospital Medical Center Employee Reviews

NYC Voluntary Hospital
AEMT-4 Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 3, 2015
Very good place to work. It is a fast paced hospital based EMS system that provides EMS service to the NYC 911 system. A very close knit group of EMT's and Paramedics make this place feel like home.
A typical day of work for me....
Plumber/Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 3, 2015
Jamaica hospital is on its way up. I am in the engineering department where we are trying to make the place look great. It is tiresome and discouraging that the hospital will not pay its workers their desired salaries...unfortunately I am one of them.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Bad pay
Loved working here!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  queens,NYOctober 6, 2015
My co-workers were great! They helped me so much, especially during training. They made sure that I understood the task I was asked to complete and that I was doing it correctly. So much feedback which worked great for me.
staff nurse at a busy urban hospital
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Emergency departmentSeptember 21, 2015
Jamaica Hospital emergency dept is a great place to be a patient if you are critically ill. The nurses are so talented at recognizing and stabilizing trauma or critically ill patients. The overcrowding is definitely a challenge.
Pros
Highly skilled nurses
Cons
overcrowding
IT management people fill their pockets and feed us with nothing
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  NYAugust 25, 2015
As an RN, this is the best hospital to begin with. So much to learn and gain. I moved to IT and faced an upside down change. They promise you the land of milk and honey and finally make you work with nothing.

They promised certification, salary and benefits. finally nothing.
The management see what enters their pockets and dont care about you at all.

People trying to enter IT, be careful.
Pros
Free food for all occassions
Cons
you organize a event for your dept heads but they dont pay you.
Average place to work
Staff Nurse, Med/Surge/Visiting Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 20, 2015
I was able to get very good experience there. The staff and co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with. This is a very good place for anew graduate to obtain ample experience.
Pros
Lunch is good
Cons
hours are not flexible
Good place to work, continuing to improve every year
Accounting Clerk/Medical Biller (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 13, 2015
Working for over 18 years in different departments, hospital staff is generally friendly and helpful. Depending on what department you work for however, the conditions of your workspace will be relaxed/spacious or overcrowded/hectic. Management strict but usually quite fair. Surrounding neighborhood is slowly improving (Jamaica Queens) as well as Jamaica Hospital facility itself.
Pros
Pleasant and caring co-workers. Improving every year
Cons
Upward mobility difficult to achieve, several work environments should be updated
The department needed organization and discipline.
Supervisor Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 25, 2015
Enjoyed working with the staff, howewer the department needed organization and discipline. They need to be improvement in communication within the department.
n/a
Accounting Clerk/Medical Biller (Current Employee) –  jamaica, New yorkJuly 16, 2015
Key Accomplishments:
Reviewed outpatient HMO’s bills for accuracy and readiness for billing.
Evaluated correspondence, and received concerning patient billing to submit responses in a timely manner.
Resolved all outpatient HMO’S medical claims outstanding as documented on aged trial balances.
Processed adjustments transactions to account as necessary and refunded concerned parties for any overpayments received.
Sustained professional relationship with all areas of the hospital staff and management to ensure ongoing cooperation.
Pros
easy commute
Cons
n/a
Engaging Experience
Emergency Room Patient Information Representative (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 14, 2015
The days spent in the emergency room or both hectic and rewarding. You get to work with nurses and doctors who are making a difference serving patients in need of critical care.
Pros
Amazing cafeteria
Cons
In need of more lockers
Nice place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJune 24, 2015
I like this place. I believe Jamaica Hospital can be one of the best once in the tristate area if staffing attitude improves. The care at Jamaica is awsome.
Pros
care is good, doctors are great.
Cons
some staff have nasty attitudes.
Productive & Social Place with Free Food.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJune 8, 2015
start the day as getting your list of patients meals to be prepared. get all cold,dry,meats, & fruits. due task about three different shifts
I believe that working in healthcare runs in my blood.
Dietitian's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 5, 2015
I enjoy moment of working in the healthcare field at Jamaica Hospital. Healthcare is where I want to be right now. I have worked in several unit in the hospital because of being promoted. This was such a wonderful experience I would love to work in this field for the rest of my life.
A great place to work,staff is wonderful and helpful and a very diverse population.The environment is clean and inviting.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 1, 2015
Very efficient and comfortable place to work. The staff makes me feel part of the team and enjoyed interacting with patients.
Pros
I am allowed a free coupon for lunch, volunteer appreciation dinner/award
Great place to learn and work
Management Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2015
Great place to learn work and teach. Lots of trainings and areas to enhance skills and talents in the management and nursing.
Familyh oriented institution which provides high quality of care to the communitiy
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, NYApril 19, 2015
At Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, I work at Family Medicine Department which is a fast-paced outpatient facility where we service diverse individuals in the community and provide an array of specialty services such as Cardiology, Dermatology, Gynecology, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, and Podiatry.
Excellent residency experience
INTERNSHIP AND RESIDENCY (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2015
It was a good residency experience at Jamaica Hospital. The hospital is up to date on many things and the podiatry is top notch.
Jamaica Hospital Surgery/Urology Service
Urology/Surgery Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 5, 2014
JHMC is an amazing place. It is a small community hospital but provides multiple subspecialty services and is a Level 1 Trauma Center.

It can be extremely hectic and overwhelming but the staff make such a difference in this community. We provide services that are not available in the immediate area and the Physicians/Physician Assistants are motivated and caring.
Pros
mds/pas/ancillary staff
Cons
alot of new nurses, ed can be extremely over loaded with patients at times
great work place. lots of fun
building services (Current Employee) –  jamaica queensNovember 5, 2014
team huddle, check location assigned to for the day, then work until shift is over.
no hard parts to job.
i enjoy working with such great staff members throughout the hospital
Pros
two 15 min breaks and 1 hr lunch
Cons
parking
Poor leadership leads to poor nurse retention
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 24, 2014
Jamaica is full of people who want to do their best, but they simply don't have the resources to do so. Many of the nurses are excellent. The ones I knew were trying to advance their education and position themselves to be more professional, more competent professionals. However, the nursing structure at Jamaica is archaic. Each shift is ruled by assistant head nurses, many of whom have been out of clinical practice for a number of years. These nurses do not serve as clinical resources for less experienced nurses, nor can they prove that they have remained up to date on the latest evidence based practice and technology. The necessity of their role is questionable and yet the power afforded to them demolishes any sense of democracy and autonomy that the nurses on the floor may have. Nursing is a professional discipline. We are not children, we are professionals, and we don't need someone micro-managing us.

And YES, I floated to multiple units and found the same thing everywhere. Floor nurses working their behinds off while the assistant head nurse sat at the station and complained about paperwork. Ridiculous.

And as for the rest of it; typical hospital stuff.
Pros
cheap parking