Jamaica Hospital Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

IT management people fill their pockets and feed us with nothing
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  NYAugust 25, 2015
As an RN, this is the best hospital to begin with. So much to learn and gain. I moved to IT and faced an upside down change. They promise you the land of milk and honey and finally make you work with nothing.

They promised certification, salary and benefits. finally nothing.
The management see what enters their pockets and dont care about you at all.

People trying to enter IT, be careful.
Pros
Free food for all occassions
Cons
you organize a event for your dept heads but they dont pay you.
Fast-Paced work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 12, 2016
This is a great place to work if you like to me an important member of the medical team. Each member of the team works together and works well to give each patient and visitor the best experience.
Pros
Cafeteria at the site, great learning environment
Good place to work, continuing to improve every year
Accounting Clerk/Medical Biller (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 13, 2015
Working for over 18 years in different departments, hospital staff is generally friendly and helpful. Depending on what department you work for however, the conditions of your workspace will be relaxed/spacious or overcrowded/hectic. Management strict but usually quite fair. Surrounding neighborhood is slowly improving (Jamaica Queens) as well as Jamaica Hospital facility itself.
Pros
Pleasant and caring co-workers. Improving every year
Cons
Upward mobility difficult to achieve, several work environments should be updated
n/a
Accounting Clerk/Medical Biller (Current Employee) –  jamaica, New yorkJuly 16, 2015
Key Accomplishments:
Reviewed outpatient HMO’s bills for accuracy and readiness for billing.
Evaluated correspondence, and received concerning patient billing to submit responses in a timely manner.
Resolved all outpatient HMO’S medical claims outstanding as documented on aged trial balances.
Processed adjustments transactions to account as necessary and refunded concerned parties for any overpayments received.
Sustained professional relationship with all areas of the hospital staff and management to ensure ongoing cooperation.
Pros
easy commute
Cons
n/a
Ambulatory Care Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2014
Very busy clinic, good place to work overall. A typical day at work consists of scheduling patients about 120-140 daily, answering phones,making lab appointments, verifying insurance,e.t.c..
Every day was a challenge for me to do better, I learned a lot of patience with having to deal with patients who were in pain and not themselves at the moment. I've learned there is always room for improvement as long as your open to learning new things.
Management was excellent, very helpful as well as my co-workers (team work was always in effect). I honestly would not say there was a hard part because I consider everything as a learning experience. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping these patients/visitors and to make sure they were satisfied and happy with their overall experience.
Pros
great benefits
Interesting and never a dull moment.
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NY 11418August 26, 2012
If I dont go to work that day and I just want the day off, I actually feel like somethings wrong because I'm not used to being home and relaxing. I thought I wouldn't miss my co-workers when I took a vacation, but we missed each other. I learned how to maintain patients' hospital balances and I've read contract grids according to the state rules and calculated accordingly. As far as management, they seem to be on pins and needles and afraid for their positions. The hardest part of the job is going to the meetings to hear that we aren't bringing in enough money because we know we are, but they keep on building and investing and the most enjoyable part of the job is being commended for what we've accomplished for the job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lacking enough pay because of the good benefits
A typical day of work for me....
Plumber/Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 3, 2015
Jamaica hospital is on its way up. I am in the engineering department where we are trying to make the place look great. It is tiresome and discouraging that the hospital will not pay its workers their desired salaries...unfortunately I am one of them.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Bad pay
NYC Voluntary Hospital
AEMT-4 Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 3, 2015
Very good place to work. It is a fast paced hospital based EMS system that provides EMS service to the NYC 911 system. A very close knit group of EMT's and Paramedics make this place feel like home.
Multidisciplinary Team Approach.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMarch 18, 2012
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center offers their employees exceptional compensation and benefits. The management can be improved and is currently in the works. Patient Care is a priority but is not always implemented or addressed. Overall my experience here has been beneficial. Like every place of employment you will have good days and bad days.
Pros
4 weeks paid vacation, 4 personal day, 12 sick days, full coverage benefits
Cons
computerized clock in and out system, not flexible with hours.
Loved working here!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  queens,NYOctober 6, 2015
My co-workers were great! They helped me so much, especially during training. They made sure that I understood the task I was asked to complete and that I was doing it correctly. So much feedback which worked great for me.
staff nurse at a busy urban hospital
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Emergency departmentSeptember 21, 2015
Jamaica Hospital emergency dept is a great place to be a patient if you are critically ill. The nurses are so talented at recognizing and stabilizing trauma or critically ill patients. The overcrowding is definitely a challenge.
Pros
Highly skilled nurses
Cons
overcrowding
Challenging, productive, opportunity for growth
Patient Navigator (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 5, 2014
everyday it was different, encountering patients with different situations, making it a challenging place to work. The co-workers were good, you learn to grow professionally and as a person. Helping patients is a rewarding feeling.
Pros
health benefits, challenging, career growth
Great Stepping Stone
Clerical (Current Employee) –  8900 Van Wyck ExpresswayJanuary 10, 2014
Everyone I worked with told me that they never planned on staying at Jamaica but the convenience kept them there, some for as long as 30 years. I learned a great deal from working there but there was very little opportunity for advancement and wage increases once every 3 years. They even suspended their tuition reimbursement programs.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no advancement
Average place to work
Staff Nurse, Med/Surge/Visiting Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 20, 2015
I was able to get very good experience there. The staff and co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with. This is a very good place for anew graduate to obtain ample experience.
Pros
Lunch is good
Cons
hours are not flexible
Challenging work environment with many systematic deficiencies
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 22, 2014
My typical day at work begins with ensuring the integrity of our equipment to effectively carry out my daily duties. Then, as the day progresses, I produce diagnostic images on patients of all ages. At any time, we can get a trauma call, which intensifies the atmosphere and makes carrying out your daily function even more challenging. However, the best part of my work experience comes from conversing with my co-workers and delivering adequate patient care to clients in need. The management at our facility displays an incompetent attitude towards the myriad of deficiencies within our department. They offer termination as their prime solution for their shortcomings. In any case, the helping of others is my primary concern and objective.
Pros
great location
Cons
inadequate work environment due to systematic flaws
no room for advancement, compensation unsatisfactory,
Material Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, NYAugust 16, 2012
Commute and hours too intense, upon inquiring about retirement benefits discovered not worth staying in that facility because member of local 1199 our facility lowest paying of all NY facilities for our position.
Also future plans included permanently relocating to New Hampshire due to family issues in addition to being in a relationship for over 2 years with someone living in NH.
Pros
acquired extensive knowledge of medical supplies inventory utilized in hospital setting., especially er and labor and delivery, . hands-on experience of scanning devices for inventory control.
Cons
too far, compensation package not beneficial. in relationship with future partner presently living in nh
Great place to learn and work
Management Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2015
Great place to learn work and teach. Lots of trainings and areas to enhance skills and talents in the management and nursing.
Engaging Experience
Emergency Room Patient Information Representative (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 14, 2015
The days spent in the emergency room or both hectic and rewarding. You get to work with nurses and doctors who are making a difference serving patients in need of critical care.
Pros
Amazing cafeteria
Cons
In need of more lockers
The department needed organization and discipline.
Supervisor Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 25, 2015
Enjoyed working with the staff, howewer the department needed organization and discipline. They need to be improvement in communication within the department.
Productive, Education reimbursement and advancement, family oriented
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  8900 Van Wyck Blvd, Jamaica, NY 11418May 2, 2014
Jamaica Hospital is a very good hopsital to work for. Specialty units have12 hrs. I have been employed for 3 years and there are always offering courses to advance my my practice. Although sometimes we might me short staff, management it always supportive in giving additional help. If any questions arise in my practice or on policy and procedure staff educator are always helpful in providing help.
Pros
paying for parking
Cons
union, tutitionreimbursement

Jamaica Hospital Medical Center Reviews by Location