Jamaica Hospital Medical Center

Jamaica Hospital Medical Center Employer Reviews

productive and fun place to work
Community Health Educator Internship (Former Employee), Queens, NYJuly 7, 2014
work days can be hectic at times, to be expected its a hospital. Staff are accommodating. Great employee moral.
Horrible work environment
Security (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYMay 27, 2014
Pros: compensation isn't the worst
Cons: the staff are not friendly people which makes it hard to approach anyone while being a new employee.
I would tell anyone thinking of working here to ONLY go if one is truly desperate for work. Most of the staff are mean, rude and nasty towards both patients and other staff. The one positive thing I will say is there is the compensation isn't the worst but it could be better.
Challenging, productive, opportunity for growth
Patient Navigator (Former Employee), Queens, NYMay 5, 2014
Pros: health benefits, challenging, career growth
everyday it was different, encountering patients with different situations, making it a challenging place to work. The co-workers were good, you learn to grow professionally and as a person. Helping patients is a rewarding feeling.
Productive, Education reimbursement and advancement, family oriented
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), 8900 Van Wyck Blvd, Jamaica, NY 11418May 2, 2014
Pros: paying for parking
Cons: union, tutitionreimbursement
Jamaica Hospital is a very good hopsital to work for. Specialty units have12 hrs. I have been employed for 3 years and there are always offering courses to advance my my practice. Although sometimes we might me short staff, management it always supportive in giving additional help. If any questions arise in my practice or on policy and procedure staff – more... educator are always helpful in providing help. – less
jhmc
Primary RN, Surgical Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYApril 12, 2014
Busy hospital, great place for aquiring experience and being independent. Hardest part of the job is lack of resources and staff.
Challenging work environment with many systematic deficiencies
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee), Queens, NYMarch 22, 2014
Pros: great location
Cons: inadequate work environment due to systematic flaws
My typical day at work begins with ensuring the integrity of our equipment to effectively carry out my daily duties. Then, as the day progresses, I produce diagnostic images on patients of all ages. At any time, we can get a trauma call, which intensifies the atmosphere and makes carrying out your daily function even more challenging. However, the best – more... part of my work experience comes from conversing with my co-workers and delivering adequate patient care to clients in need. The management at our facility displays an incompetent attitude towards the myriad of deficiencies within our department. They offer termination as their prime solution for their shortcomings. In any case, the helping of others is my primary concern and objective. – less
Great hospital to gain experience
Injury Prevention-Community Education Coordinator (Current Employee), Queens, NYMarch 11, 2014
Jamaica Hospital is currently one of the premier hospitals to work at. The administration and staff is fully dedicated to achieving the American College of Surgeons Level One Trauma Service Certification.

Excellent opportunity to be a part of this hospital while they work towards getting said certification.
Ambulatory Care Representative (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 7, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Very busy clinic, good place to work overall. A typical day at work consists of scheduling patients about 120-140 daily, answering phones,making lab appointments, verifying insurance,e.t.c..
Every day was a challenge for me to do better, I learned a lot of patience with having to deal with patients who were in pain and not themselves at the moment. – more... I've learned there is always room for improvement as long as your open to learning new things.
Management was excellent, very helpful as well as my co-workers (team work was always in effect). I honestly would not say there was a hard part because I consider everything as a learning experience. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping these patients/visitors and to make sure they were satisfied and happy with their overall experience. – less
Fast Paced/ fun
Hospital Legal AffairsLaw School Intern (Former Employee), Queens, NYFebruary 10, 2014
Great to work firsthand with medical personnel and staff within the hospital.
Enjoyed working here
Patient care associate (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJanuary 16, 2014
Held several positions through out my 11 years of employment. I had a lot of advancement.
Great Stepping Stone
Clerical (Current Employee), 8900 Van Wyck ExpresswayJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no advancement
Everyone I worked with told me that they never planned on staying at Jamaica but the convenience kept them there, some for as long as 30 years. I learned a great deal from working there but there was very little opportunity for advancement and wage increases once every 3 years. They even suspended their tuition reimbursement programs.
Jamaica Hospital
Epic Security Coordinator/ Database Administrator (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYDecember 28, 2013
While at Jamaica Hospital I have worked along side builders and analyst in the Epic program for Flushing go-live and the epic 2012 go-lives for( Jamaica Hospital, Flushing Hospital and Clinics.) I have trained end users on workflow related issues from doctors to clerks. I assist in user profile adjustments and password resets.
great experience gained
Speech-Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYDecember 16, 2013
Jamaica hospital exposed me to a variety of patients with multiple communications disorders, exposure to med-surg, acute care and outpatient schedules.
my favorite experience of trauma hospital and lots of Delivery in obstetrics and traumatology
Temporary work as Anesthesiologist (Former Employee), Van Wyck Jaimaca, New YorkNovember 6, 2013
Pros: good experience
Cons: exploited
Good experience for me and made an impact for the rest of my job.
Hard work and with low pay. Exploited but good experience. Work 5 to 6 oncall for trauma and 5 to 6 call of 24 hour duty, practically staying in the hospital. The hardest part of the job is being able to maintain concentration while staying whole night awake . The most memorable
Great colleagues. Terrible management.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Queens, NYOctober 28, 2013
Pros: decent salary. paid weekly. good benefits.
Cons: barely able to take breaks. too much going against each other. virtually no life outside of work
5 day work week, 8 hour shifts per day for nurses. Only specialized units give their nurses 12 hour shifts. 8 hour shifts consume your life.
Was the Administrator for Womens Health
Administrator OB/GYN (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYOctober 28, 2013
This was one of the best jobs I ever had.
At the time we were the second largest deliver of babies in Queens NY
High Volume and High Stress Enviroment
Ambulatory Care Representative (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYOctober 9, 2013
Pros: benefits were excellent
Cons: 13 hour shifts some days
Worked there for three years, enjoyed my time there, coworkers were excellent, however the area was a rough one a lot of difficult patients, the security guards were not very helpful, bums would sleep in the waiting area.
prepared breakfast and lunch
Line and Grill Cook (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: met wonderful people while working there.
Cons: overtime not available.
Special breakfast orders as per customer. Keeping a clean work area. Gets along with co-works and management.
I was expecting more
Adult/Pediatric Echo Sonography Student (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJuly 17, 2013
Pros: easy commute
Cons: poorly kept facility, non experienced staff
This hospital is flooded with very sick patients. The workload was tremendous, not enough experienced staff and out-of-date poor working equipment. However, a great hospital to learn pathology.
A Hospital Dental Clinic
Ambulatory Care Representative/ Registrar (Current Employee), New YorkJune 21, 2013
A typical day at work consists of registering and verifying insurances for over 100 patients a day for a total of 10 dentists. We schedule future appointments and confirm them on a day to day basis. Prepare patients charts for the dentist and ensure the patients appointments are registered in a timely matter.Provide patients transportation with metro – more... cards We have a total of five registrars/ ambulatory care reps and we all share the same responsibility. The hardest part of the job is having to handle very upset patients. the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing patients come out satisfied with their overall care. – less

About Jamaica Hospital Medical Center

Mission: To serve our patients and the community in a way that is second to none Vision: To be the premier integrated healthcare – Read more