Jamaica Hospital Medical Center

Jamaica Hospital Medical Center Employee Reviews

Average place to work
Staff Nurse, Med/Surge/Visiting Nurse (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Lunch is good
Cons: hours are not flexible
I was able to get very good experience there. The staff and co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with. This is a very good place for anew graduate to obtain ample experience.
Good place to work, continuing to improve every year
Accounting Clerk/Medical Biller (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Pleasant and caring co-workers. Improving every year
Cons: Upward mobility difficult to achieve, several work environments should be updated
Working for over 18 years in different departments, hospital staff is generally friendly and helpful. Depending on what department you work for however, the conditions of your workspace will be relaxed/spacious or overcrowded/hectic. Management strict but usually quite fair. Surrounding neighborhood is slowly improving (Jamaica Queens) as well as Jamaica Hospital facility itself.
The department needed organization and discipline.
Supervisor Radiology Technologist (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJuly 25, 2015
Enjoyed working with the staff, howewer the department needed organization and discipline. They need to be improvement in communication within the department.
n/a
Accounting Clerk/Medical Biller (Current Employee), jamaica, New yorkJuly 16, 2015
Pros: easy commute
Cons: n/a
Key Accomplishments:
Reviewed outpatient HMO’s bills for accuracy and readiness for billing.
Evaluated correspondence, and received concerning patient billing to submit responses in a timely manner.
Resolved all outpatient HMO’S medical claims outstanding as documented on aged trial balances.
Processed adjustments transactions to account as necessary and refunded concerned parties for any overpayments received.
Sustained professional relationship with all areas of the hospital staff and management to ensure ongoing cooperation.
Engaging Experience
Emergency Room Patient Information Representative (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Amazing cafeteria
Cons: In need of more lockers
The days spent in the emergency room or both hectic and rewarding. You get to work with nurses and doctors who are making a difference serving patients in need of critical care.
Nice place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYJune 24, 2015
Pros: care is good, doctors are great.
Cons: some staff have nasty attitudes.
I like this place. I believe Jamaica Hospital can be one of the best once in the tristate area if staffing attitude improves. The care at Jamaica is awsome.
Productive & Social Place with Free Food.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJune 8, 2015
start the day as getting your list of patients meals to be prepared. get all cold,dry,meats, & fruits. due task about three different shifts
I believe that working in healthcare runs in my blood.
Dietitian's Assistant (Former Employee), Queens, NYJune 5, 2015
I enjoy moment of working in the healthcare field at Jamaica Hospital. Healthcare is where I want to be right now. I have worked in several unit in the hospital because of being promoted. This was such a wonderful experience I would love to work in this field for the rest of my life.
A great place to work,staff is wonderful and helpful and a very diverse population.The environment is clean and inviting.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Queens, NYMay 1, 2015
Pros: I am allowed a free coupon for lunch, volunteer appreciation dinner/award
Very efficient and comfortable place to work. The staff makes me feel part of the team and enjoyed interacting with patients.
Great place to learn and work
Management Administrator (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 22, 2015
Great place to learn work and teach. Lots of trainings and areas to enhance skills and talents in the management and nursing.
Familyh oriented institution which provides high quality of care to the communitiy
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, NYApril 19, 2015
At Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, I work at Family Medicine Department which is a fast-paced outpatient facility where we service diverse individuals in the community and provide an array of specialty services such as Cardiology, Dermatology, Gynecology, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, and Podiatry.
Excellent residency experience
INTERNSHIP AND RESIDENCY (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 2, 2015
It was a good residency experience at Jamaica Hospital. The hospital is up to date on many things and the podiatry is top notch.
Jamaica Hospital Surgery/Urology Service
Urology/Surgery Physician Assistant (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYDecember 5, 2014
Pros: mds/pas/ancillary staff
Cons: alot of new nurses, ed can be extremely over loaded with patients at times
JHMC is an amazing place. It is a small community hospital but provides multiple subspecialty services and is a Level 1 Trauma Center.

It can be extremely hectic and overwhelming but the staff make such a difference in this community. We provide services that are not available in the immediate area and the Physicians/Physician Assistants are motivated and caring.
great work place. lots of fun
building services (Current Employee), jamaica queensNovember 5, 2014
Pros: two 15 min breaks and 1 hr lunch
Cons: parking
team huddle, check location assigned to for the day, then work until shift is over.
no hard parts to job.
i enjoy working with such great staff members throughout the hospital
Poor leadership leads to poor nurse retention
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: cheap parking
Jamaica is full of people who want to do their best, but they simply don't have the resources to do so. Many of the nurses are excellent. The ones I knew were trying to advance their education and position themselves to be more professional, more competent professionals. However, the nursing structure at Jamaica is archaic. Each shift is ruled by assistant head nurses, many of whom have been out of clinical practice for a number of years. These nurses do not serve as clinical resources for less experienced nurses, nor can they prove that they have remained up to date on the latest evidence based practice and technology. The necessity of their role is questionable and yet the power afforded to them demolishes any sense of democracy and autonomy that the nurses on the floor may have. Nursing is a professional discipline. We are not children, we are professionals, and we don't need someone micro-managing us.

And YES, I floated to multiple units and found the same thing everywhere. Floor nurses working their behinds off while the assistant head nurse sat at the station and complained about paperwork. Ridiculous.

And as for the rest of it; typical hospital stuff.
Overall a great place to work
Billing & Accounts Receivable Representative (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: incentives for a good job
I would say Jamaica Hospital is a productive and fun place to work if there is room for advancement in the department where you work. Unfortunately for me, the Business Office doesn't offer much room for one to advance. Overall, he facility in general is a good place to work. It is very convenient to home.
productive and fun place to work
Community Health Educator Internship (Former Employee), Queens, NYJuly 7, 2014
work days can be hectic at times, to be expected its a hospital. Staff are accommodating. Great employee moral.
Horrible work environment
Security (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYMay 27, 2014
Pros: compensation isn't the worst
Cons: the staff are not friendly people which makes it hard to approach anyone while being a new employee.
I would tell anyone thinking of working here to ONLY go if one is truly desperate for work. Most of the staff are mean, rude and nasty towards both patients and other staff. The one positive thing I will say is there is the compensation isn't the worst but it could be better.
Challenging, productive, opportunity for growth
Patient Navigator (Former Employee), Queens, NYMay 5, 2014
Pros: health benefits, challenging, career growth
everyday it was different, encountering patients with different situations, making it a challenging place to work. The co-workers were good, you learn to grow professionally and as a person. Helping patients is a rewarding feeling.
Productive, Education reimbursement and advancement, family oriented
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), 8900 Van Wyck Blvd, Jamaica, NY 11418May 2, 2014
Pros: paying for parking
Cons: union, tutitionreimbursement
Jamaica Hospital is a very good hopsital to work for. Specialty units have12 hrs. I have been employed for 3 years and there are always offering courses to advance my my practice. Although sometimes we might me short staff, management it always supportive in giving additional help. If any questions arise in my practice or on policy and procedure staff educator are always helpful in providing help.
Industry