Jamaica Hospital Medical Center Employee Reviews

stressful place to work
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 21, 2017
very good benefits and good union. Stressful place to work. No opportunity for advancement. Union provides reimbursement for continuing education seminars.
fun workplace relaxed somedays but also get busy quick
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 21, 2017
I was working in labor and delivery since I first started. I like working there but there's no pay. free lunch and short breaks. some days its relaxed but can get busy quick.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks no pay for volunteer workers
good for new grads in 3-6 mos training program
Charge Nurse on Duty/ RN-ED (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NY 11418November 20, 2017
Great experiences to enhance your nursing skills in this level 1 trauma setting. Long working hours, usually longer than a 12 hr. shift. Worked with some excellent nurses, with amazing skills.
Pros
rewarding work effort in this community
Cons
short breaks and consistently short staffing
great work enviornment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 11, 2017
I was able to learn many useful skills in HR. I was able to work with current employees and be able to go into their accounts and assist them as needed. The working environment is very friendly
Working at JHMC is very competitive
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  8900 Van Wyck Expressway, Queens NYNovember 6, 2017
Working at Jamaica Hospital is very interesting and rewarding. Anyone working at JHMC will gain a lot of experience since it is a Level one trauma center .
Pros
Gain a lot of experience
Cons
Busy most of the times
Great experiences
LPN RN (Former Employee) –  Stoke unitOctober 25, 2017
It was a great place to work.Great teamwork spirit ..Lots of support from supervisors and ability to get a break...Patient care at bedside is great experience
Pros
Lots of parking room to loumge and room for pt with bathroom
Cons
Full breaks during the night time sometime short staffed at night ..
Learning and productive experience
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 25, 2017
It was indeed a great time of learning and growing in caring for surgical and non-surgical, adults and pediatric patient population. I enjoyed my work.
typical day
Registered Professional Nurse (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 25, 2017
The average work day is stressful. Most days we are understaffed. We frequently run out of basic supplies. Management expects miracles without offering realistic options for alternative measures in a very difficult work environment. Overworked. Underappreciated.
benefits
Cons
no breaks
productive
Human Resources Generalist/Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2017
Great Place to work, Friendly envioment. Fast paced can be extremely busy at times. Doctors and Nurses orientaion days can be stressful. although it can be stressful very rewarding
Supervisor
Dispatch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 25, 2017
The department was good. The overall organization has no culture, lacks ambition and team work. Work environment was good, fast paced, staffing was stressful and working around the low resources was stressful.
Pros
My Manager
Cons
The roganization
Not a pleasant place
Ambulatory Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, NYAugust 23, 2017
Very stressful place to work in. Management involved in too many politics within a lot of favoritism. The most enjoyable being able to help a patient from entry to discharge. I am very empathetic great work ethics.
Pros
flexibilty
Cons
too much gossip
Good learning experience
Art Therapy Intern (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 14, 2017
I enjoyed interning at Jamaica Hospital. I learned a lot and would love to find a full time job working in the inpatient psychiatric facility. Michelle H. was awesome.
Pros
Good guidence
Cons
No second chances
good place to work
Radiology Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 2, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing our patients improve after a stay at our facility.
The hardest part of the job is trying to comfort the love one who lost a family member.
Good
PA Student (Former Employee) –  Emergency DepartmentAugust 2, 2017
Jamaica Hospital is a good place to work. Very knowledgeable Director and friendly staff. Excellent place to learn for students. Easy access to parking lot.
Jamaica hospital
Registered Professional Nurse (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 31, 2017
it all depends on the unit you work on. some units are well managed and others are not. team work played a large part in getting through the day. most days there were no breaks
Pros
working 8 hrs
Cons
always staying late
Acquired enough experience
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 22, 2017
Experience is good but Director is not good--doesn't know how to manage well--no meetings, no replacement when someone is absent, cursing on the job, no consideration with employees
Great prehospital care agency
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 14, 2017
Excellent place to learn and treat my patients as an EMT and Paramedic. Great staff in the emergency room and elsewhere. Excellent teaching facilty for everyone.
Excellent environment to learn
RN Med/Surg (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 14, 2017
I enjoyed working in this hospital in their Medical Surgical Unit. Training is excellent, and Salary is excellent. Management is not upto the mark. Unionized environment.
Pros
Excellent environment to learn
Cons
Poor management for nurses to plan and settle in job.
Unhealthy and unhappy environment
Accounting Clerk/Billing-Receivable (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NY 11428July 12, 2017
On any given day it could be extremely stressful and daunting environment. The hardest part of the job has nothing to do with the work itself but with management.
Pros
Convenient location
Cons
Advancement
Quick paced and busy hospital
Clinical Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 10, 2017
I am currently the clinical nurse manager of the emergency department, which is a level 1 trauma center, stroke and cardiac designated hospital. The hospital sees over a 130,000.00 emergency department visits a year. The hardest part of the job is reducing threw-put times. The most enjoyable part of my job is maintaining patient satisfaction and teaching and mentoring the staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Jamaica Hospital Medical Center Reviews by Location