JAMES AUSTIN COMPANY
DeLand, FL 32724
James Austin Company is known throughout the United States for its line of bleach based, laundry and cleaning products. Building on innovation and experience, the family owned company has progressed and expanded over four generations. Austin products are sold to consumers in the grocery, mass merchandise, discount, automotive after-market, pool & spa and drug retail trades, as well as into foodservice and janitorial cleaning outlets. James Austin Company in 2014 celebrates 125 years in business. The company has four manufacturing facilities in MA, PA, NC and FL. The company is seeking to fill the plant manager vacancy.
Manages and oversees overall plant operations at the DeLand, FL plant, which include budgeting, performance against budget, manufacturing (mixing, filling and warehousing), plant engineering, maintenance, production & material control, local material & maintenance purchasing, yields, quality assurance/control, human resources (hiring, terminations and performance evaluations), information system utilization (corporate reporting) and customer deliveries. Develops and executes recommendations and plans to improve productivity, quality, and efficiency of operations. Works with Sales & Customer Service to fill customer orders in a timely and efficient manner. Maintains direct costs and works with sales / corporate on new customer bids and actual product costing. Gives work direction, resolves problems and sets deadlines for timely completion of work
Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is required. Reports to the President.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Coordinates Production activities with related activities of the other departments to ensure meeting customer requirements and plant efficiency. Oversees and / or prepares plant reports for its activities and performance. Evaluates current procedures and practices for accomplishing plant objectives to implement improved procedures and practices. May also initiate employee hire, promotion, discharge or transfer.
- Conducts self in an appropriate manner as a representative of James Austin Co., working effectively in a diverse work environment.
- Supervises and manages production scheduling, material purchasing and floor level inventory control employees reviewing their work for adherence to standards, policies, procedures and laws. Evaluates performance of staff.
- Provides assistance proactively to corporate, internal and external customers to facilitate customer satisfaction, product quality and plant profitability.
Specific Job Activities
- Approve bills / forward to Mars main office for payment
- Participate in weekly corporate staff meetings, providing information as identified per the agenda
- Assist Cost Sheet Development by Product for FL Products
- Review Sales Forecast
- Create Monthly Budget
- Review Monthly Financials vs. Budget - highlight variances / causes
- Create Action Plan to Address Budget Variances
- Conduct Local Production Meeting, maintain agenda & action item follow up
- Determine staffing needs
- Set up Employment Agency source
- Fill Temp Employee Needs
- Recruit / Hire Full Time Employees
- Conduct Employee Orientation - (Company Rules, Safety, etc.)
- Conduct Employee Performance Evaluations
- Establish Job Descriptions by Position
- Oversee Production Planning, Material Purchasing, Inventory Control and Delivery Scheduling
- Set up / Maintain Vendor Supply Agreements
- Conduct Shift Start up Review for both Lines to insure lines are set up for production and have all necessary components
- Insure Production Lines are running at Established Run Speeds, identify and resolve any problems encountered
- Identify any maintenance work needed & communicate to Maintenance (Work Orders)
- Follow up on production status periodically during the shift against the schedule and standard production rates, insure downtime is being documented, identify operating problems and insure they're being addressed
- Update Weekly / Monthly Yield Report (mix vs fill / give away)
- Identify Yield / Give Away Issues / Develop Action Plan
- Oversee Warehouse Utilization and Organization.
- Other Activities as Assigned
The Plant Manager will oversee the Logistics Manager, Quality Control / Mix Manager, Warehouse Manager and Maintenance Mechanics.
- MANAGING POLITICS (INTERNAL & EXTERNAL): effective collaborator and network builder, persuasive, sensitivity to situation and individuals, knows how to work within the organizational and political structure.
- LEADERSHIP: acquires new knowledge and learns new ways of solving problem, thinks and plans strategically, visualizes and communicates a vision, models desired behavior, drives organizational change, recognition and development of staff potential, pro-actively addresses performance issues.
Ability to facilitate teamwork. Ability to effectively develop staff.
- TAKING RISKS AND INNOVATING: thinks out of the box, open minded and flexible in thought and tactics, oriented toward results, adapts problem approaches, creative solutions.
- PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT: provides feedback on performance throughout the year, initiates performance plans and disciplinary actions at appropriate times, plans ahead to prepare and present appraisal to employees within thirty days of due date (only exception is unplanned extended absence).
- ETHICS AND INTEGRITY: perceived fairness; tolerance; honesty; consistent in application of policies and procedures.
- DIVERSITY ORIENTATION: encourages and supports diversity of employees and contractors (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise); participates in Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action events and training; refers EEO/AA concerns in a timely manner. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce.
- CUSTOMER FOCUS: communicates courteously and proactively, learns customer’s short-and long-term needs, sees issues from customer’s perspective
- JUDGMENT: makes appropriate and sound decisions after weighing alternatives; follows policies and procedures; thoughtful consideration for other’s opinions. Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written, with all levels of employees and management, using effective customer service skills. Strong negotiation skills.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in business administration or related field with training in inventory management, production scheduling and procurement.
Ability to operate Microsoft office and outlook computer software. Must also be knowledgeable about SAP inventory management and production scheduling software.
Fluent English required.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in a variety of situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk and talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. This job occasionally requires an individual to lift up to 60 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The facilities package bleach based chemicals, pool chemicals, automotive chemicals and janitorial cleaners.
- The key product of the company is household bleach, so clothing might get spotted and whitened while working out of the offices.
- There are many moving mechanical parts and equipment relative to the packaging lines.
- The noise level is usually moderate.
DEPARTMENT: Plant Management
REPORTS TO: President
SUPERVISES: Plant employees
LOCATION: DeLand, FL 32724
RESUME TO: Renee Wolf
James Austin Company
PO Box 827
Mars, PA 16046-0827
No phone calls please.
DEADLINE: July 18, 2014
James Austin Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.