James J. Peters VA Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great Experience
Senior Student-Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 3, 2017
Very professional staff. Team players. I learned valuable interpersonal as well as professional skills. I met understanding and compassion from all nurses I worked with as well as the management.
awesome experience
Occupational Therapy Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 26, 2017
It was an amazing experience. I learned how much I enjoy working with hospice and palliative care patients. It was a very rewarding job despite the sadness accompanying it.
Productive workplace
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 3, 2017
Productive place to work, knowledgeable of the type of work and work load. I have the ability to be a team player because I often work on a line with other food service workers. There was no hard part of the job becasue I believe in getting the job done.
Rewarding palce to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 10, 2017
The clients and the management are very professional. I started as a radiology technologist and I was able to take advantage of the scholarship program offered at this facility, and now I'm a registered Nurse
Pros
High degree of advancement
Cons
short lunch breaks
Great experience and co-workers
Provide clerical support (Current Employee) –  Spinal Cord InjuriesMay 8, 2017
Great Experience with all co-workers. However, I would not say the same about the management.
The job is demanding at time. Short breaks. The healthcare system there is a little costy also.
productive fun place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 4, 2017
its a very busy work place i learned lots bout food salads wraps Starbucks etc. management its pretty much like us workers they get busy right with us the co-workers were cool funny helpful and united hardest part is when someone leaves early n you have to clean two stations or working alone the most enjoyable part of the job is the co-worker n getting paid
Supervisory Human Resources Specialist (E&LR), GS (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 24, 2015
I work for the Federal Government for many reasons, and although, I had my share of ups and downs since I started working for them, I always feel a sense of accomplishment every single day. Even on those days when I feel things didn’t go well, I still go home knowing that I had been a service to others.

I have a sense of patriotism and value in my work. I believe my time in the military and my service to the Federal Government for almost 26 years has instilled this in me. I don’t think I would feel more satisfied, or would make any difference in people life, or add any value to this country if I was doing anything else.

Another reason why I work for the Federal Government is because I trust and believe in the system. When employees work together and perform their jobs as they should both legally and morally right, the system works hands down 100% every time. I don’t know about you, but the Federal Government is part of my inheritance to my children, I want my children to grow-up knowing that their government will be there for them, and ready for them if they decide to work for the Federal Government. So I’m doing my part by looking over their inheritance until they are ready to take it over from me.
Pros
Great benefit package
Cons
Well run with lots of activities
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 21, 2015
My time at The James J. Peters VA Medical Center was both extremely fun and informative. Not only did i have the luxury of helping someone else who had put their life at risk to protect my country, but I also got to develop a bond between the veterans I interacted with and got some insight on what it was like to be on the battlefield. I highly recommend volunteering/applying to this medical center. It will change your life.
Good place to learn and grow.
Preceptorship Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 3, 2015
I did my preceptorship here. I was paired with an excellent nurse who understood everything about being a preceptor/mentor. The other nurses were supportive in the learning process and welcomed me as a student and helped me feel comfortable and confident as an almost licensed nurse.
Productive and very rewarding
Nursing Aide (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 10, 2014
As a veteran i love working here because i get to help out my fellow veterans so I have nothing but good things to say about working here. The only bad thing is that after almost four years still being on temporary employment status.
Pros
government job
Cons
after three years still temporary status
Environment conducive to learning
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 22, 2013
Admission and discharges of pre, post operative and telemetry patients
Charge nurse duties
Scheduling duties
Telemetry monitoring
Pros
Excellent benefits, 12 hr shifts
Cons
Sometimes cared for 13 patients, no union support, no managerial support
great
Internship (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 23, 2013
i had an internship there/ management is amazingly kind and knowledgeable/ learned alot
Pros
great environment
Cons
Mostly just men due to most veterans are men
Internship/ Volunteer in Lab
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 11, 2012
Processed lab specimans in Hematology, bacteriology logged in specimans for processing
Pros
close to home
Cons
zero pay
Meet good people and workplace is friendly
Office Clerk/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2012
I feel like I belong and enjoy working at the VA. I have learned alot in the HR department and learned how to handle different situations.
Pros
meet people
Cons
short breaks
Productive and caring place to be witha dn the people are even better!!!
Kitchen RD assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 6, 2012
I worked here since September beginning of college, it has been a great experience and the people are amazing. I look forward to each day that i come into work and it makes me feel better because of the people you meet. The patients and the staff are diverse and wonderful to be around, its a fun and loving environment.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Cons
cold weather and the travel