James Madison University Employee Reviews

Great work environment as it has many skilled and knowledgeable people
Landscaper/Laborer (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Great work program
Cons: N/A
Great staff, skilled workers and many great work programs/benefits. Loved working there with all of the many different people from around the country.
productive work environment
Biotechnology Wet Labs Coordinator (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJuly 12, 2015
I work with the College of Integrated Science and Engineering (CISE) Laboratory Operations team members in support of Environment group courses. I work collaboratively with the interim CISE Safety Liaison – more... in support of the chemical and biological safety within CISE and in areas under the responsibility of the CISE Safety Liaison. I ensure appropriate preparation of reagents and supplies, and assess general lab supply inventories. I work with faculty to define and procure supplies for new lab exercises and courses. I understand the function and operation of laboratory instrumentation, such as:
Autoclave, 96-Well Plate Readers/Spectrometers, thermocyclers, various incubators/shakers, gel documentation system, laminar flow hoods, and biological safety cabinets. I Assist in the maintenance of CISE purified water systems, and address issues related to equipment identification, tracking, and management. I work in cooperation with CISE Lab Operation fiscal support to specify and support processes associated with ordering of supplies and small equipment, and I address issues of “wet” laboratory safety and coordinate with the interim CISE Safety Liaison to facilitate safe laboratory practices in all areas of responsibility in accordance with JMU safety documentation.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the students and faculty at JMU. My co-workers and management are fantastic, and constantly look out for my best interest and the best interest of the students. – less
productive and a great place to work at
Summertime Landscape Worker (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJuly 6, 2015
weed eating, watering grass, mowing, pulling weeds, rolling or pulling up sod....James Madison is a great atmosphere to work in. Everyone is really nice and management is understanding and willing to work with you.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJune 22, 2015
James Madison University provides a nice work environment with competitive benefits. Work hours are typical 8 to 5, Monday-Friday venue.
It was my first regular job in US as a visiting professor
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJune 11, 2015
It was an exciting and impressive because it was my first job in US. As a visiting professor, I loved all my students and talked with co-workers a lot
Productive and friendly environment with happy faces
Communication Assistant (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAMay 11, 2015
A typical day at work includes scanning, filing, and then doing other miscellaneous tasks that my bosses may need me to do for them. These include sending professional emails, organizing, planning, and – more... creating. I've learned many skills necessary for in-office work and many skills in communicating efficiently, as I am in the communication department. The hardest part of the job is when we are prepping for our bi-annual tournament, which requires a lot more attention to detail and a lot more things are happening. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my bosses and teammates. – less
JMU
Administrative Assistant-Program Support Tech (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: not a very diverse population
Currently work in the Student Affairs division. Very good division to work for. Very supportive of its employees. Upper level management is easy to talk to and take very seriously your thoughts on how to improve the University as a whole.
Pleasant, with trade-offs.
Administrative Office Spec III (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAApril 18, 2015
Pros: Good hours, benefits, culture.
Cons: Low pay, little advancement.
JMU offers a pleasant working environment, generous benefits, good job-security, and low salaries. There are many perks to being an employee, including professional development classes and subsidized – more... tuition in both undergraduate and graduate programs. Many of the staff are graduates, so they believe in the organization; it's nice working with people for whom it's not "just a job." At the same time, pay is low, and chances to increase it are limited. This isn't an unreasonable trade-off, but it does mean that JMU is good place to have a "first real job" or to settle in, but if you're ambitious you may feel the need to jump ship after not very long. – less
student job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAApril 3, 2015
Not much space for any outside life as a student employee. It also demands a great deal of time. Gave a good pay but seemed not worth it with school being more important.
An excellent experience and way to finance your graduate school learning journey
Lead Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VaMarch 31, 2015
As a graduate assistant you will work with various professors on various research projects. They will become excellent mentors and help you through the program as best they can. Your fellow classmates become your friends as well as your professional colleagues. Your classes are applied in nature giving you real hands on experience as a public servant in the community.
Excellent place to work.
Medical Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Love working in the community.
Cons: Not a F/T job
Medical Spanish Interpreter: Interpreting in the community to Spanish speaking patients. You work on your own. You make your own schedule. The pay is excellent.
Educative
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Harrisonburg VAFebruary 27, 2015
I really enjoyed working with the professors. I learned so much from them. Working as a TA was a great way to maintain the knowledge I had gained when I took the class as well as help students who were struggling in the course.
Challenging and Rewarding
MECHANICAL ENGINEER SENIOR (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VA 22807February 20, 2015
Pros: it has been a very stable work environment
Cons: my id has been compromised twice since december 2014
I have watched JMU grow from 2 million square feet of office/class room/dormitory space to over 5 million square feet today. Its is very progressive my work has been always challenging and rewarding.
Great work place
Work Control Coordinator (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 28, 2015
A typical day at work is great. The people I work with are amazing. I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with. The guys do their best to make my job as easy as possible. The hardest part about any day is dealing with customers and trying to meet their needs.
fun meet lots of new people
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: health insurance
Cons: you work with collage kids they can be nasty
i started work at 6 am got trash dust and cleaned bathrooms u could not really have a set day because some of your customers worked crazy hours
Organization that prides itself on benefiting its students
Career Educator in Career and Academic Planning (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 20, 2015
Working for a university like JMU was the best opportunity I had thus far. The organization expects results from its employees, a combination of students and FT staff, to allow growth and opportunity. CAP gives students the chance to put their learning into action and see the results through the student body.
Rewarding job with constant learning experiences
Hall Director (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VADecember 18, 2014
I supervise five resident advisers and monitor their progress through out the year. I am responsible for the day to day need of a residence hall that hold 130 first year college students. I provide programs – more... that educate residents in assault awareness, alcohol and drug education, and safety and security. I have one immediate supervisor who supervises myself and five other Hall Directors. The hardest part of the job is also the most rewarding. I speak to students who have violated a residence life or school policy and help them come to realize why their actions were a violation and what they can do to not end up in the same situation again. Seeing students grow through out the year and come to love an institution I love is definitely the most rewarding. – less
Fun and productive
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Harrisonburg VAJuly 31, 2014
I had a wonderful mentor who really made sure that I got exposed to many different levels of molecular biology
Tutoring
Visual Arts Tutor (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJune 4, 2014
Proctored visual arts lab while tutoring 200+ students
Aided and demonstrated fundamentals in computer
animation, modeling, and special effects for students in
the “Maya” 3D animation software
-- (Former Employee), ----May 30, 2014
I enjoyed my time thoroughly. Great people helping a great cause day in and day out.