James Madison University Employee Reviews

Assistant Recruiting Coordinator (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 18, 2017
A typical day at James Madison was very relaxed. I learned a lot about recruiting and being a professional. The work place was very balance when it came to culture.
Slow
Emergency Lighting Technician (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 6, 2017
I did not like working for James Madison university because of the slow paced work environment. It would be nice for a retired person needing something to do but as a young person looking to climb the ranks I can not recommend it.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Did not have full time job.
Productive and Fun Work Place
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 30, 2017
Was able to stretch my legs with new equipment and learn more about my field. Highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to learn more about the media field.
n/a
Student Liaison (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 7, 2017
This was a job that I had during college to make extra money. This is not a job for someone looking to make a living. I had a positive environment and great support.
Appreciate the collegial atmosphere
Assistant Director, Employer Relations/Recruiting (Current Employee) –  Student Success CenterJuly 24, 2017
Have always enjoyed working with colleagues from across campus. Lots of interactions and energy in the Student Success Center. The students are also lots of fun to be around and it is a rewarding experience to assist them in achieving their goals.
Flexible Place to work
Undergraduate Biology Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 13, 2017
I was given a list of tasks to accomplish for the week and was given to the end of the week to finish them. The work environment was quiet and laidback.
Awesome environment where they work with you to ensure success
Office/Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 11, 2017
Who come in and handle whatever tasks each full time employee needed complete. After this I could work on letters or filing. I also would help the event coordinator when we had a large Luncheon or Donor event coming up.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
could be boring
great job with lack of training
Bank Accountant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 5, 2017
flexible job
great benefits, decent pay, nice co-workers
lack of training- sent out on own to figure things out, then disciplined if done incorrectly
Pros
flexible, benefits
Cons
lack of training
great staff
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 4, 2017
excellent work environment, great staff and co-workers, wonderful supervisors and team building programs. discounts on merchandise and upcoming events
Pros
Discounts on merchandise
Cons
not full time
Great Experince
Internship, The Counseling Center (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJune 29, 2017
Internship was a great experience. The culture at JMU is absolutely wonderful. Would recommend it to anyone looking at a position at JMU. Upper admin really cares about wellbeing of staff.
Very professional - no benefits
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJune 5, 2017
This is a wonderful university with amazing students and a professional and friendly staff. I love working with all these professionals. I just need to have benefits.
Pros
the work
Cons
no benefits
Felxible to class schedules
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 25, 2017
Proper training was provided to assist other students in lab spaces. Overall working as a teaching assistant was an enjoyable experience to have the opportunity to help other students when they need assistance with laboratory tools or engineering curriculum.
Nice
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 21, 2017
Nice people
Flexible hours
Nice machines
Friendly
Fair treatement of everyone who wortks there even the lowly lab people
Purple and gold are pretty school colors
It was a good school
Student (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 20, 2017
I think I have learned a lot in this school, but I think that there are always improvements that could be made. Definitely a good local school. Professors ranged from mediocre to very good.
Fulfilling work and supportive environment
Doctoral Clinician, Psychologist, GA (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 16, 2017
JMU offers diversity of professional experiences, fulfilling and interesting work, friendly and supportive team, and encouragement to engage in the variety of activities for personal and professional growth.
Student Employee
Student Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 15, 2017
Student building manager for the Integrated Science and Technology department. Helped to host speakers for the James Madison University Integrated Science and Technology Department for events on campus.
Supportive Educational Staff
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 13, 2017
University staff and educators are overall supportive and provide enriching opportunities. Research professors were eager to offer lab and data analysis experience.
Fair and Balanced
Department Financial and Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 9, 2017
The best part of this job...mostly everything.
The worst part...a great deal of moving and change. The academic year is quite stressful, as one would imagine.
Pros
Personal space
Cons
Parking!
Greatest Place on Earth
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 7, 2017
JMU is a wonderful place to be! Harrisonburg is a thriving city, with many things to do. The department I worked with was EXTREMELY demanding, and I spent many hours there a day. We went far above our pay grade.
Pros
Greatest Place on Earth
Cons
too much work for compensation
Resident Advisor
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 7, 2017
Able to work with students of all ages and help them through their transition to college. Fun atmosphere and easy to manage hours. Made life long friends.