James Madison University Employee Reviews

Great Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 29, 2016
I miss being an intern here! I cannot speak for a full time job. But my internship paid well and was lots of fun. Additionally, it was a great learning experience. If you are a college student, there are paid internships you just have to find them!
Pros
Cons
Not a full time job, does not pay the bills
Undergrad
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 29, 2016
It was a pleasant place to do research as an undergraduate research assistance. I enjoyed building a team of students to work on huge international projects with other organizations.
James Madison University
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 29, 2016
Being an RA was a rewarding job without fair compensation and limited opportunities for professional growth. The Hall Director provided support and great management.
Fun!
Digital Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAOctober 28, 2016
Fun internship, laid back atmosphere, great coworkers, and all around good time working. Hardly feels like a job at times! Highly recommend a working position
Pros
good environment
See below.
Health Education Coord. & Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 21, 2016
Phenomenal work-life balance and opportunities to grow professionally. Pockets around campus for anything you might be interested in. A true intellectual culture.
Educational and fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJune 6, 2016
I am a teaching assistant for undergraduate anatomy labs at James Madison University. On a typical day I work with students and guide their learning of anatomy through the use of cadavers. My co-workers are fellow students/peers, and a head professor of the course. I learned comprehension strategies to promote individualized learning in the laboratory, and how to collaborate with the other TA's to ensure the students were understanding the material. The hardest part of the job is tending to everyone in the lab, because there are approximately 100 students in each lab. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely seeing the students succeed in such an advanced course.
Pros
Working directly with professors, good environment
Finding any cure for a project in research lab
Co-op Intern (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 4, 2016
Good experience, but working so hard over 10 weeks. Good for students to come on summer to do projects as research lab and increase more skill and knowledge.
Pros
Free dorm
Cons
pay for food
Colleges are the best
Student Liaison (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 24, 2016
Working at a college allows you to work with people who understand work/class/life balance. You will learn valuable information from any position you take here.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
limited hours
Too much favoritism
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 20, 2016
When I first started working there it was the dream job. After awhile, the other team members start showing their true colors and try to exclude you from everything, including telling you your specific job duties.
James Madison University
Chemistry Tutor (Current Employee) –  Physics and Chemistry DepartmentApril 13, 2016
Attended from Fall 2012 to Spring 2016. Amazing school and academics. Challenging coursework but you will always find the party people out and about on a Thursday night. Go Dukes.
Small Role
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 12, 2016
My position was more based around the relationship with the faculty I worked with rather than JMU as a whole so this will not have much relevance for others.
Fun Work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 16, 2016
Work 10 hour weeks, Go in and jobs are assigned by professors. Co-workers are nice but rarely are you working with them. You also are responsible for filling copy machine and office supplies.
A good learning experience with the benefit of combining job experience with my seinor thesis
Environmental Intern (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 9, 2016
Varied work days between setting up water samplers for collection during impending storm events, or bringing in collected samples. Once samples were collected work days consisted of performing lab tests for water quality indicators and pollutants of concern such as Phosphorus, Nitrogen, Total Suspended Solids, and Turbidity. Following testing data analysis was performed on following work days with the goal to look for data trends.

My supervisor/project lead was helpful and patient with the project team while we were initially learning the testing and analysis techniques needed for the project.

The hardest part of the job was balancing work time with time devoted to schooling. This eventually became easy for the project team and myself, but was an initial hurdle we needed to overcome.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the invaluable experience that was gained in lab testing procedures, data analysis, and field sample collection.
Pros
Payment for seinor thesis work
Cons
Added time comitments outside the typically student class load
Fun place to work and allowed to attend events
Charter member (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 15, 2015
Assist consumers that attend James Madison University events. Learned a lot about consumer service issues and solutions. Would help set up, take tickets, cater to consumer needs, and close down events
Pros
Free lunchs, flexible hours
Cons
short breaks, no opportunity for growth
wonderful place to work
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAOctober 24, 2015
wonderful place to work.
training opportunities.
flexibility.
academic advancement.
Beautiful environment.
People: so friendly
Very friendly and funny workplace
Financial Reporting Specialist (Current Employee) –  harrisonburg, VAOctober 17, 2015
Lots of opportunity to advance and build a career. Surrounded by smart people who generally have a good respect for work-life balance. The work environment is very supportive, and the office encourages you to raise your hand with questions or concerns. A lot of cool training opportunities.
Pros
flexible hours
Productive workplace
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 28, 2015
I work a few days a week for our intramural sports program where I help set up the fields for our nightly games. I also make sure the officials understand what they need to do and I deal with any conflicts from participants. I am also trained in our emergency action plan incase anything goes wrong
Workplace that values collaboration, student life, and professional development
Coordinator of Group Fitness & Wellness (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 23, 2015
Set in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, JMU is a beautiful campus. Students are high achievers. Campus is growing quickly and not necessarily ready for growth from a personnel standpoint. People enjoy being at JMU.
Pros
fast-paced and quickly growing
Cons
fast-paced and quickly growing
Great work environment as it has many skilled and knowledgeable people
Landscaper/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 23, 2015
Great staff, skilled workers and many great work programs/benefits. Loved working there with all of the many different people from around the country.
Pros
Great work program
Cons
N/A
productive work environment
Biotechnology Wet Labs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 12, 2015
I work with the College of Integrated Science and Engineering (CISE) Laboratory Operations team members in support of Environment group courses. I work collaboratively with the interim CISE Safety Liaison in support of the chemical and biological safety within CISE and in areas under the responsibility of the CISE Safety Liaison. I ensure appropriate preparation of reagents and supplies, and assess general lab supply inventories. I work with faculty to define and procure supplies for new lab exercises and courses. I understand the function and operation of laboratory instrumentation, such as:
Autoclave, 96-Well Plate Readers/Spectrometers, thermocyclers, various incubators/shakers, gel documentation system, laminar flow hoods, and biological safety cabinets. I Assist in the maintenance of CISE purified water systems, and address issues related to equipment identification, tracking, and management. I work in cooperation with CISE Lab Operation fiscal support to specify and support processes associated with ordering of supplies and small equipment, and I address issues of “wet” laboratory safety and coordinate with the interim CISE Safety Liaison to facilitate safe laboratory practices in all areas of responsibility in accordance with JMU safety documentation.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the students and faculty at JMU. My co-workers and management are fantastic, and constantly look out for my best interest and the best interest of the students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at James Madison University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5