James Perse Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Would Recommend
Stock supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2017
I worked at James Perse full-time (More than a year) Calm work environment positive brand culture. However, constant changes in management caused negative work environment and lack of proper communication.
Pros
Beautiful stores and working environment, Movement between regions is a possibility if looking to relocate, Relaxed company vibes
Cons
Upper management from corporate partners always changing, Large turnover rate in corporate office, not much upward movement within stores
productive place
Trim Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 22, 2016
this company is very clean and very well kept
working here was very fun and got to make decisions on my own
my co workers in production were the very best
great xmas parties
Pros
great cafeteria
Cons
to many meetings unnecesarry
Great Company, Great People
Studio Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 14, 2015
James Perse truly is a life-style brand and it is impossible to not be captivated by it. I am forever grateful for my time spent within the company. I met some of the most Amazing people through working for James Perse, I will cherish my time there.
No leadership, toxic senoir managent and horrible turnover
store manager (Former Employee) –  new york, new yorkFebruary 7, 2015
Sadly this was one of the worst work experiences I have ever had.
I learned very little, was rarely given clear direction and was witnessed what I believe to be illegal practices.

I was coached multiple times to refrain from hiring people of color or people who were not straight acting because it was "not brand" and contradicted with the California lifestyle, regardless of their talent or ability to perform jobs being interviewed for.

The position I reported to was held by 5 individuals in one year, all of which were fire, quit or "position eliminated".

There were lots of high performance demands which some parts of senior management communicated were being met while others would fight and finger point claiming they were not being met.

Lots of ambiguous titles, roles and responsibilities. It was confusing and stressful trying to be productive with such a toxic and unprofessional company.

I witnessed and reported the special projects manager verbally abuse, degrade and belittle coworkers on multiple occasions and HR did nothing.

The CEO makes quick minimally informed decisions and opinions of people creating zero job security.
Pros
nice wardrobe allowance, beautiful stores and corporate office
Cons
negative atmosphere, lots of unavoidable gossip, no leadership or clear plans for goals

Comment – February 9, 2015

Aside from the many typos I have to agree with this. I had very similar experiences with James Perse. The whole company is one class action law suit waiting to happen, in addition to just being a miserable place to work.

Not the most challenging work environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  CAJanuary 1, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of being chatted in by the Assistant or Store Manager. They would discuss individual and store sales goals, business gains and losses, areas of opportunity, and tasks to fulfill before the end of my shift. Customers were always the priority, however in downtime I focused on reaching out to clients, visuals, product knowledge, and operational procedures such as receiving shipment.

I learned how to be efficient in Retail Pro, Microsoft Publisher, and Excel. Due to the competitive nature of a commissioned sales job, training and development were almost always lacking. Most of what I learned was after making a mistake due to lack of received knowledge. The guidelines for visuals were extremely black and white, and I felt the company as a whole restricted creativity.

The most difficult aspect of the job was contradictions within communication. I would often have my Assistant Manager advise me to do something that our Store Manager disagreed with. For that reason, customer relations were sometimes rough.

I felt that my co-workers were not team players and participated in social gatherings with members of management outside of work. My colleagues that had seniority were favored and promoted based on personal relationships. Individual sales metrics were hardly if ever noticed, and management did a poor job of giving credit where it was due. Promotions were based on who you knew within the company, rather than actual performance.

I enjoyed the relationships I developed with clients. Creating a multi item sale from just one item was thrilling.
  more... There was a lot of styling and interaction going on with my customers, which made it fun. The benefits were incredible and the company offered a generous clothing allowance.  less
Pros
Clothing Allowance, Respected Brand, High profile clients
Cons
Limited room for advancement