Jansport Employee Reviews

Challenging and area for career growth
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 27, 2017
Come in and get an order lined up and make sure the quality is the best it can be. I've learned the importance of working at an efficient pace while still producing a quality product. The management is always willing to help its employees with line ups and making sure they are making a great product. The workplace is very friendly and relaxing. The hardest part of the job would have to be getting a big order to line up. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I get to work with and the new opportunities that came with job growth.
Pros
Great Coworkers and benefits
Cons
Spend a lot of time standing in one spot
Family like environment
Production Art/Digitizer (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 22, 2017
I have met many people here. We consider ourselves like family to each other. I love the job I do but my last day is September 29th due to corporate closing the doors. I have been here for 30 years and really hate to see this happen. Many memories and close friends. I have learned a lot about this place by making myself versatile to other areas of the business. Always willing to help where they need me.
Pros
free lunches, bonus at beginning of year
Cons
cloising doors on many employees
Hot unsafe work environment
Stager (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 8, 2017
Very hot during the summer and countless days of overtime. Sometimes months in a row with only a single day off. The incentive program is a total joke and management blatantly shows favoritism. In the slow times of the year you have no gauantee where you'll be working. Very little stability they like to threaten you with your job. Not a good place to work.
Pros
Some of the people are very nice
Cons
Terrible management
Great place to work!!!
Production Artist (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIJanuary 20, 2017
I love working a JanSport as a Production Artist for the past 10 years. It is a very laid back & flexible department to work in. We have a strong team that works great together.
Pros
Casual dress code (jeans & sweatshirt)
Cons
Old computers
Would not recommend for the long term
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 25, 2016
JanSport used to be a good place to work and even build a career, but no more. The company who owns the JanSport brand, VF Corp, is a publicly traded fortune 500 company with an international presence. Translation: operations are driven by stockholder greed.

VF Corp has become so huge that, IMO, the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Culture is terrible - employees pitted against each other, wages and benefits being slashed, no opportunities for advancement, huge turnover problem (hint: notice how often you see job ads for VF Corp or JanSport? they like to say it's "due to growth" but don't believe it.)

Office operations have turned into a giant call center operation, employing entry level individuals and paying them less and less every year. I started at $15/hour nearly ten years ago and I hear they are now starting people at $12/hour or less.

As far as the plant goes, you couldn't pay me enough to work there. Other reviewers are correct: unrealistic goals, a ton of lazy coworkers, crazy overtime followed by layoffs, terrible managers who play favorites and play games, unsafe working conditions (I remember hearing ambulances called 3-5 times every summer when heat conditions would get so bad workers would pass out.)
Very nice and helpful people work there.
Customer Service - Call Center (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 9, 2016
Everybody I worked with there was very nice and helpful when ever I had a question. They all shared their family stories to make you feel welcome there.
Pros
Lots of food days
Cons
The hours I worked
Simple job, good hours, good pay
Special Packer in Vans Pack (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 11, 2016
It's a pretty simple job, it pays well, I'm guaranteed 40 hour weeks, good benefits, bonuses every pay period depending on production, good work environment, opportunities for overtime
JanSport
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 8, 2016
Great work life balance, good stability with VF corporation, monthly happy hours, easy going environment and your voice gets heard and valued
Good place for young people to start working
Screen Printer (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 26, 2015
I have been working at Jansport for 1 year and my experience there has been a good one. The work in the factory is simple and the people make it easy to understand. Pay was good for the work we did and the benefits are really good if you take advantage of them. My only concern was after 1 year I have advanced as far as I can without schooling. Even though I out performed several of my coworkers and was much more deserving of certain positions I had to wait my "turn" for advancement. I enjoyed my time working for Jansport none the less. I would recommend this job for any younger person looking for a steady first job after high school/during college
Pros
Good benefits, easy work, breaks
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement, hot in factory during summer
my 3 year exerience
Production (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 21, 2015
i was there for 3 years, and was making a little under $12. used to get raises but don't anymore because they are participating in an incentive program, but even then it is hard to reach the unrealistic goal that they have set for us. management there sucks, communication there sucks. the supervisors seem to target people, they only see what they want to see and if they don't like you they will pick on you, make rude remarks, and basically just get on your back for everything. used to have random drug tests every now and then but don't anymore - so it seems, so if you would like to pass the interview, that's about the only time you would need to 'get clean'. if you don't like dust, grime, can't work with chemicals, and don't like to get dirty, this is not the job for you. if you don't like to work in teams, definitely not the job for you because you WILL have to work with the laziest people and you WILL have to pick up their slack. provides cross training, where you can learn to do a little bit of everything - which also means that every day when you come into work, you can be put anywhere, to do anything. if you're coming here through a temp agency, you can be fired at any time, but they will most likely call you back when they are really busy and need you again. only decent thing here is probably meeting new people and depending on what your opinion is, i would say the benefits are pretty nice. overall, it is a good job if you're just starting out or looking for a temporary job, but favoritism seems to be a big issue there so you better hope you'll be one of the favorites!
Pros
meeting new people, no uniform
Cons
just about everything else
Productive and enjoyable workplace with that plays the radio
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIJuly 10, 2014
- Typical day at work is getting the machines I cover ready to go by first tapping screens and getting inks for the autos.
- For the time I have worked there until today I learned to be a print assistant, Stage, Utility, material handler.
- The management is smooth. There is a meeting every mouth on how the plant is doing on a mouth to mouth basics. We get to know how we do and what we need to improve on and what our goal is suppose to be and how efficient the plant is.
- My fellow Co workers are fun to work with. Everyone seems to have their own ways and styles of working which is interesting because then you can learn the different ways on how to do the job.
- The hardest part about my job is when its gets near the end of the shift and everyone your covering is taking their orders down and you have to clean at a fast pace.
- The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I got my machines ready to go and just keeping their efficiency going good.
Pros
More than one vending machine
Cons
short breaks
extremely hot unsuitable conditions in the summer. High turnover rate, some easy positions and some hard.
quality auditor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, WIJune 3, 2014
Stand on your feet all day, some months with nonstop overtime and some with very slow and voluntary lay offs. Learned how to print on shirts and audit quality of products produced according to customer specs. Some departments have good management and others have unfair favoritism issues. Some coworkers are fun and others can be hard to work with. Hardest part of the job probably is the heat in the summer and trying to keep up with the printer at the end of the dryer. Enjoyable part of the day mostly is freedom when needed. Not restricted at all times.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
heat in summer and low pay without high chance of increasing it.
sewed embroidery designs on garments
Embroidery Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  AppletonJanuary 30, 2014
worked on a 12 head embroidery machine- sewed quality designs on garments
Pros
over seeing quality products
Cons
too much overtime
Everyday you have to deal with a new problem
Printers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIDecember 14, 2013
Every morning we come in and figure out what the last shift has left in the printing machine for us to finish. Next we have to find out what is next in dispatch for us to get printed and get out to shipping.
Pros
incentive pay
Cons
short breaks, and the new point system HR put in effect
I enjoy this place.
Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIDecember 10, 2013
I really enjoy working here, everybody is very friendly and always willing to help if you have questions.
fast pace work place
Auto/Manual printer, Takeoff (Former Employee) –  appleton wiOctober 9, 2013
managment at Jansport was lacking in my eyes. they always pushed to get more done and never congratulated us on any of our good efforts.
Pros
quick learning
Cons
managment was poor
Great Place to Work
Printer (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJuly 24, 2013
You go in and learn a lot of new thing while on the job which is really good. the superviser are really helpful when you need help. they are there to help with anything or just to talk to on break
Productive Workplace
Utility (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 7, 2013
When you first arrive there, your job is to fill the screens up with ink and fill the other machine's screens with ink. Generally the orders took around an hour for each machine, so when that order was done you would have to clean the screens off as well as the squeegees. I tried helping other machines out when they needed help as well. When all of that was done, I usually would clean the ink buckets up and fold the rags.

One of the main things I learned there was how the clothing there is printed. Essentially you tape the screens to remove stamps and pinholes that were generally on most screens. Then you would fill the screens up with the ink that it says either on the screen or on the paperwork for the order. Next the screens are put into the machine and then printed onto the clothing.
a very good place to work for.
Selector Packer (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 10, 2013
love the job. bummer they had to relocate to a different state
Fun job
manufactory (Former Employee) –  Evere, WAJanuary 5, 2013
I enjoy sewing and it was a good oportunity to meet ladies that share the same fun of doing sewing as a job
Pros
being creative
Cons
nothing