JCPenney Optical Employee Reviews

fun work environment
Optician (Former Employee), Brookfield, WISeptember 1, 2014
helped customers pick out frames, place eyeglass and contact orders, schedule exams, check in orders, bill insurances, learned more on how to adjust glasses, great management, easy going co workers, easy to get along with, hardest part not enough hours, and working retail hours, enjoyable part was the learning experiences and the company picnics.
I looked forward to going to work everyday.
Manager (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIMarch 22, 2014
Pros: health benefits, comissions, free lunches, paid travel time
Cons: working 7 days a week, long hours
My typical day at work started with morning meetings, checking any messages on voicemail, greeting any customer that needed assistance, and preparing the optometrist for there day. I learned that communication, organization, time management, schedule making, and a great staff can make a job easy and successful. As a manager although it may be challenging at times I enjoyed being able to resolve customer issues as well as show my employees how to resolve any issue whether it be a customer issue, adjusting glasses, how to prepare the doctor for day, or using the computer. The hardest part of my job was when the customer was not satisfied. Although it may have been disappointing for the customer and I, I got to know a lot of great people. The most enjoyable part of my job was all the great people I got to work with as well as my customers. My job allowed me to sit down with people discuss and inform people about what they were investing, being satisfied with there investment, and returning for any optical needs.
Worse place in America to work
Optician (Former Employee), OhioSeptember 10, 2013
Cons: managers stay up late discussing how to degrade worker for the next day
If your a strong optician please don't apply quality of work is bad don't care about workers or customers turn over is very great waste of time..
Good for someone who needs PT
Optech/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), tukwila waAugust 21, 2013
I enjoyed learning new things here. But it wasn't what I expected to be. Hours weren't set and it was always changing.
Overview
Optical Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 8, 2013
I started out as a optical tech and I learned so much from my manager. She made work fun. Working in a JcPenney good because I was able to talk not only to customers but to associates. I was able to grow with the company. I was sad when they closed my location.
Learning Experience
Optician (Current Employee), Joliet, IllinoisMarch 6, 2013
Typical Day at Jcp Optical starts with making sure the store is clean and ready for the doctor. All appointments are called prior to their scheduled time. Patients are greeted as they walk in. I have learned to always start with the best lense options and nothing less. Also to never forget to mention RX sunglasses and the benefit of having them. My co-workers are hard working people. They love what they do and are dedicated. The hardest part of my Job is being alone on a busy Doctor day. I Enjoy helping my customers, making them feel welcome, cleaning, explaining the sales, and so much more.
worst place to work ever!do NOT apply
general manager (Former Employee), new york,nyFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: literally none, except the hours of operation
Cons: everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!
worst job experience ever. they do not pay well at all, the products are complete garbage, the glasses you get back from the lab are laughable, in horrible condition, scratches, mangled, etc. feels like you are working in a kiosk in the mall. if you have actual experience in optical, do not apply, you will not be paid what you deserve and your knowledge will not be appreciated. many limitations on the products that are available for customer relationship between lab and store is horrible, they are rude and obnoxious.you have no one on your staff,no hours to hire anyone on, the drs are independent and could care less and you have to abide by the jcp return policy. manager is just a title you make no decisions without approval from corporate, you do not get paid for overtime the incentive package stinks.
Assisted Optometrist with patients and consulted with sales
Optician/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: fashion forward environment
Cons: lay off
Optician duties included data entry, filing, filing of Insurance, sales, cashiering and general customer service duties.
Optical
Optician (Current Employee), Westland, MIDecember 26, 2012
Nice people to work with and good discount.
Nice as a part-time or starter job.
Wonderful Staff
Temp Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 5, 2012
JCPenney Optical had a wonderful staff! They hired me as a temp. data entry clerk ad were wonderful people to be around.
the optical was a fun place to work and i enjoy that i got to meet new people
sales assocate (Former Employee), Calumet city, ILFebruary 1, 2012
Pros: 30% discount, 30min brakes
Cons: central air unit did not work, people would steal out my locker
I would assist customers with selecting frames and lenses for customers needing glasses.I also educate customers on various types of lenses.