JCPenney Employee Reviews

Found 11,554 reviews matching the search
Fun, and demanding!!
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arden-Arcade, CAJanuary 30, 2017
I looooved working here! The people I worked with was very fun to be around hard-working a lot of teamwork. There was a lot of employee /supervisor meetings , and training every morning ; which I thought was really cool ! I didn't really have that at any other position. They had a lot of potlucks ,giveaways , and ways to get bonuses on your check! I really loved working there if I had any other position to go back to that will be the position I would go back to , and then work my way up to management or supervisor position. They have a lot of room to grow you just have to work hard be on time and you have nothing to worry about!
Pros
Compensation was well, you also get$2.00 bonus on your check for everyJC Penney credit card you sale!
Cons
Oncertain holidays have to park way over at cal- expo and then take a shuttle to work and from !
my co workers are my only ray of sunshine at work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 27, 2017
I love working as a team. Working at JC Penney is pretty chill, as long as you don't panic if you're on your own for hours with no help from anyone. Over the holidays it can get pretty hectic like in every retail store and we get hours like crazy. However, when the holidays are over, good luck with surviving if JCP is your only job. We get lucky if we even get 8 hours a week to work. I'm not sure if it's at every JCP or just at my location but there is a lot of favoritism. Meaning that in order to move up you have to be the supervisor or manager's favorite. That's the only way to move up and to get more hours. Also, there are no benefits or raises so good luck.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
No raises, No moving up, management is bad, no benefits, no weekends off or friday nights
Not progressive, poor advancement, not customer driven
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 1, 2017
Cannot recommend the JC Penney company. Although I like most of my fellow workers, the company's focus is purely on financial gains. Workers are praised and evaluated primarily on how may credit card applications they can sign up, even for management positions. Working hard and following core standards is low on the list. We are very short-handed and accept any warm body. Standards are not followed consitently between employees. Hours are cut after holidays and those who get more credit applications get more hours even though they work less and they do not follow core standards. Pay is very low, even for managers.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Inconsitent with standards. Emphasis is not on the customer
penneys has great benefits
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 9, 2017
the first part of the day is clocking in. Pennys was good for learning new things, they had different classes on hair products and perms. penneys sent another co-worker and I to virginia for couple of days to learn about facals and body wraps. I was alot of fun and alot to take in. The sad part about the salon was that I had about 5 different managers since I"ve been working at penneys. Either they got fired or they quit.
The good part of working in the store is that you always have clients...when people shop they usually decide to get their done also.Penneys had alot of co-workers so of course there was alot of people not along and causing disrupsion in the salon...On the whole I liked working there. It was indeed an experience, good and bad, and still getting my good benefits.
Pros
benefits for lifetime 25% for store buying
Cons
had to stay at the shop even if you didn"t have any more cliettinhg aents
Basically every retail job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 6, 2017
Got tons of hours since I started right before seasonal kicked off, but once January came around we were severely understaffed and hours got cut drastically. Our leaders of departments were so nice and fun to work with, but upper management only cared about you if you got tons of credit apps. Witnessed a fellow coworker get let go because of made up accusations by other management as well even though he had exceptional performance at work. That never sat well with me especially when they tried to act like nothing even happened. Best time to work here is during seasonal, you will have plenty to do. Expect shifts and hours to get cut otherwise.
Pros
Hour lunches on long days, flexible time off
Cons
benefits only given to full time, management was shady at times
Exciting place to work with a wide range of clientele
Fine Jewelry Expert (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 26, 2017
Working at JCP was a wonderful experience. It was routine from day to day but there was always the welcome change in that routine. Management at my store was excellent and caring. I learned a lot about working with the public while at JCP. The hardest part of this job was not being able to help a customer get the lowest price on a piece of jewelry they had fallen in love with. The best part of this job was being able to watch someone walk out knowing they had gotten exactly what they wanted for a fair price.
Pros
Yearly review raises
Cons
Required to get people to apply for JCP credit cards
Fun, productive, chances for advancement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARMarch 9, 2017
JC Penny was my first job once high school ended, a typical day would depend on what specific title I had that day. If I was a sales associate it'd usually be me folding clothes and recovering the floor, or checking customers out at the kiosk. If I worked support, I'd do inventory, product mark downs, rearranging floor plans and restocking each department of the store.The management team was great, they helped provide every skill I needed to be successful not only there but at any job I have. I became a non disposable employee, they put me in every position we had available and showed me everything I needed to know, becoming a more well-rounded, well trained individual.
Pros
Free food, discounts, health benefits
They were a very organized company that were very thankful for doing the right thing
Sale Support (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LA youree drDecember 12, 2016
a typical day at work was too keep everything in the store organized an presentable.The management were very courteous. Training is accurate for the job an situations that accures an management expects you to remember it. My co-workers were well prepared too do their jobs an generally happy people. The hardest part of the job was not coming to work anymore. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting my check an the pay raises. I just learned so much so ill start in training where I learned how to use the cash register's also that jc penny is a family
Pros
The break room
Cons
the rushes where we had to stay late nights
Good place to work.
Retail Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLJanuary 12, 2017
Part-time, seasonal employee. (From Summer through Christmas.)
Started at minimum wage, but received incremental raises every few months. I was offered a full time position after Christmas, but I accepted other employment for a more sedentary job and higher wages. (I had a difficult time standing for hours on end.) All in all, I enjoyed my co-workers and management personnel. I learned a lot about merchandising and stocking as my assigned areas rotated each week or so.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Time spent on your feet without a break.
It used to be better.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIDecember 16, 2016
I have been working at jcpenney's for a long time and I have noto liked the direction the store is going. The store used to be such a friendly environment, filled with people working hard as well as having fun and store and staying productive. Every holiday and special event was really something to look forward to in the store and everyone respected and worked well with the other. However, with recent management things have really gone downhill. The managers are rude, they don't have any compassion for associates, and expect too much out of a less than minimal staff leaving associates to be the ones to take the hostility of angry customers. Not to mention the high rate in which people apply and then quit. Many of the managers do not know the information about the store that they should either. It has become an incredibly unpleasant work environment over all.
Pros
Great coworkers, fair discount, good benefits
Cons
Work environment, management, shifts, lacking in communication

Want to know more about JCPenney?

Ask a question
fun job
Photographer/Sales (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAJanuary 14, 2017
Open up the computers and register. get the props organized and the room ready. turn the camera on and make sure the memorie cards were ready and erased from the session before. once the customers came in we got the room ready for them to get their pictures taken. then after the photos were taken we would fix them up by centering them and deleting the bad ones. show the guests the pictures and enhance them. show them the different things we can do to them. Sow them the packages and them check them out at the register. Let them know when the pictures will be ready to be picked up and make them their next appointment. we would clean the room by dusting off the counters and computers. and organize the frames and make sure they were always stocked.
Pros
fun, meet lots of people
Cons
no benefits
It's retail so minimal pay for maximum effort
Interior Design In-Home Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pineville, NCFebruary 1, 2017
Overall the people that I worked with and for were very good people but it's just the general company policy that really screws over the employee, at least from a store level. There is a struggle for hours, not being allowed to work more than 34 so you're only part time and can't have benefits, only being paid about 9 an hour but that was bumped up because of experience.

Once I moved up to In-Home consultant, things got a little better but since there was a commission requirement on sales, you were constantly scrambling to try to make sale and be pushy so that you can earn what they're paying you.
Pros
Store Discount
Cons
Not enough hours, no benefits, little care from cooperate
Low pay, short staffed no benefits..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  PANovember 29, 2016
The hours are horrible, a lot of nights and weekends. Management is lazy and does not praise anyone "below" them. Short staffed even on busy days, but there is always an over-abundance of "supervisors" micro-managing. There is no benefits and the ones you do get aren't very good. It's a corporate company so expect nothing in return. There is no reward for time, dedication, reliableness, seniority ..etc. Dead end job. Wow, you receive a 25% discount, if you make enough in the 2 week paycheck you might be able to afford to buy something there and have something left over!
Pros
Kidding right?
Cons
Like I said^^
Not a great place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 26, 2017
You are consistently expected to work well past the scheduled leave time even on nights where you either have to get up early to come back in the morning or you have school or another job to get to in the morning. Some coworkers are awesome but there are many people that don't do their job and the management won't do anything to deal with them as long as they get people to sign up for credit cards. Few managers understand the need for a schedule change or availability change. Although you are promised a 15-minute break every day you are commonly working alone and therefore cannot leave to take your break. What you receive as an associate for pay and for benefits is not nearly enough to deal with the horrible customers that cause you problems every day. The good thing is they commonly give out $5 certificates to those who get credit apps and you get a 20-25% discount on most items at the store.
Pros
Periodically there is free food, minimum 15 minute break, 20-25% discount, $5 certificates
Cons
Consistently required to work significantly past the scheduled leave time, commonly cant take your break
Great Place to Work
Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2017
I love this job because everyday is alwasy a little diffrernt. The managers and staff are nice and helpful. This job, just like any takes training and lots of practice to learn how the company works and all the tools you can use. Once you know what you are doing then it’s fun and challenging. Overall I wpuldnt pick another place to work. Jcpenny has great benefits and programs for its employyes. Don’t forget the assosiate discount you will get!!
Pros
Good Benifits, Easy scheduling. good hours, nice management team
Cons
no paid time off unless you are full time working more than 35 hrs a week
OK job if you don't need more than $600 per month
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 17, 2017
The schedule is so random that if you need another job, you can't get one. On an average week you get 18-20 hours, because if you're full time they're required by law to give you benefits. So they have 7-8 people per department working part time, all with random hours.
You have to make at least 3 credit card applications per week! Which means even if the person doesn't want it you still beg them into it, otherwise it's impossible.
Customers constantly complaining that the price doesn't match what the sign said, when in reality the sign team always misplaced the signs, and we don't have the authority to move the signs.
I worked there for quite a while, and when I asked for more hours they said it's impossible. I thought it should be possible because I was pretty good! I got about five credit applications per week! So I had to quit because child care cost was more than what I was earning.
Pros
Professional work place
Cons
Work every weekend, barely work during the week, low pay.
Extremely fun place, everyone is always in a great positive attitude, willing to help customers as well as eachother.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 25, 2017
Everyone in management are always so kind and willing to help or answer any questions you might have. All employees had positive attitudes. There was no drama, no complaints about other workers, very professional. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with all kinds of customers and the coworkers.
Pros
Free food during holidays, paid 15 minute breaks, great discounts and benefits.
Cons
Complicated and unorganized break and lunch schedules.
Good Job for starters and long-term career.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLJanuary 25, 2017
Working here not only taught me more about selling products, but also providing excellent customer service. I was always gentle and respectful with my visitors and it surely paid off. You also get great benefits from working here as well. Despite the busy holidays like Black Friday, the paycheck surely compensates for all the craziness. Overall the job is pretty good if you just keep a positive view on things and make the most out of each day!
Pros
Talking to customers, employee holiday dinners, pay (for starters)
Cons
Mean customers (sometimes), having to clean up merchandise (clothing, accessories, etc.)
Productive and fun workplace with possibilities of job advancement.
Sephora Inside JCP Beauty Leader (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAFebruary 7, 2017
JCP is a fun and diverse company that allow you to grow and offer a possibility of job advancement. They allow you to have a great job and life balance. Working for JCP gives you the opportunity to learn to work well with others and as a team. It allows you to obtain customers service skills as well as communication and problem solving skills.
Pros
Job advancement, flexibility, diverse.
Cons
Benefits eligibility, full-time
Working at JCPENNY...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILOctober 24, 2016
Working here wasn't that bad, just the pay was low. And every
August tou would get a pay raise depending on how long you've worked there. At JCPENNY you have to get comfortable with selling credit to the customers, which just depends on the kind of person you are. But if you do get customers to apply you usually get a reward. The only thing I HATED was cleaning up at the end of the day and trying to keep everything clean so we could go home early but that rarely happened. It just seemed like customers didn't care that you just took 30 minutes to fold that table but that's something to get used to because it happened all the time.
Pros
Working in the Mall, Associate discount, mall employee discount
Cons
Cleaning up, selling credit

78%