JCPenney
3,552 reviews

JCPenney Employer Reviews

good for a part time job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Peoria, ILAugust 25, 2014
Pros: employee recognition and prizes
Cons: long hours.
Working at JCPenney was probably one of the better part time jobs that I've had. While the wages weren't the best, they paid me more than any part-time job I held while in Illinois.

I felt that management did their best to listen to my concerns and adress them individually
great atmoshere
Sales Person (Former Employee), Clermont, FLAugust 25, 2014
Management work with staff to facilitate the way of job life
A decent first job in retail.
Various Positions (Former Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYAugust 25, 2014
Pros: easy job, coworkers are friendly.
Cons: little to no opportunity for advancement, little to no recognition for hard work, pay is only a little above minimum wage with very small raises (if any)
The typical day at work may vary, but mostly you provide customer service on the sales floor or take care of the behind-the-scenes work. It depends on your job title. Coworkers are mostly friendly and easy to get along with.
Sesonal Job
Customer Service and Sales Support (Former Employee), escondio caAugust 24, 2014
Pros: working in the mall
Cons: working n the mall
Learned the ins and outs of retail. Includng Fine Jewerly, CHildrens, and Furniture
jcpenny
Cashier (Former Employee), Garden City, NYAugust 24, 2014
The co workers there where very friendly and respectful they were great help when I first started
N/A
Senior Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee), Hayward, CAAugust 24, 2014
Very structured big box retailer with very limited creativity options.
great company
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 24, 2014
overall i loved working at jcpenney. It was fun and all the managers were very helpful and advancement in the company was great.
Retail
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Daytona Beach, FLAugust 23, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: long hours, low pay, no benefits
Before working for this company, I like many really did not understand what is involved in the day to day operations of how, where and why merchandise is displayed as it is within any store. In all honesty, I didn't care. When you are a customer, you want to just go into a store, look around and perhaps make a purchase.

I had serious reservations about – more... working in retail due to the hours, dealing with the public, and being on my feet all day. This has been an experience that I will appreciate for the rest of my life. I have gained so much insight and understanding. In addition, I have to say that the majority of customer interaction I have had, has been most enjoyable.

JC Penney is a very good company to work for, however, not much of an opportunity to advance. – less
Excellent work place with caring, dedicated management. Super co-workers that are helpful and supportive.
Customer Service/Customer Support (Former Employee), Strongsville, OhioAugust 23, 2014
Pros: nice atmosphere to work in.
Cons: sore feet.
When I worked in customer service we gave customer service and worked the catalog desk. Making our customers happy was our job. With the coming of many changes in the look of JCP, we went out on the floor. I was in the children's dept. frequently, but was busy at times in other departments. Cleaning at the end of the day was hard and long, but that's – more... where JCP excelled in looking so neat, clean and organized. I enjoyed working with the customers and co-workers. I learned that if you act upbeat, kind, and helpful to your customers, they will in return be nice right back at you! – less
Great Co-Workers
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Midland, MIAugust 23, 2014
Great co-workers, I was just not getting the hours I needed to pay my bills. So I moved to Springhill when I was promised the 29 hours a week.
Enjoyable
Manager (Former Employee), Red Wing, MNAugust 23, 2014
Worked a short time because of relocation. Very supportive and kind co workers and management.
Managment
Department Supervisor (Current Employee), willow groveAugust 22, 2014
Coaching – You know how important it is to a) provide the team with ongoing feedback b) make yourself available to the team you support so they can grow.

• Customer Experience – You love interacting with new people as well as greeting old friends that come back into the store to find something new. You and the team do everything possible to put a smile – more... on the customer’s face!

• Monthly SET – You walk the floor with your peers and other leaders in the store to plan for the upcoming design and set for new merchandise. You are well prepared to provide direction to supporting teams to ensure the customer is going to have an engaging shopping experience.

Skill and Characteristics:

•Work with Others: You’re a team player who willingly shares information, you enjoy providing outstanding service, and you build positive working relationships.

•Drive Results: ability to think critically, solve problems and take action to get things done and make things better.

• Organization –thrive in environments that need order and rely on process to get things done right.

• Visual Merchandising –passionate about merchandise and possess a deep understanding of visual design / concept / presentation. – less
Fun fast paste friendly upbeat
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 22, 2014
Pros: great raises comission discounts
Cons: short hours.
I really enjoyed working for this company, it was a great place to work, the people I've worked with all have been really nice, helpful, and we all worked as a team. The management team was very understanding and always there to answer any questions you had, always lent a helping hand. The hardest part of the job was quitting. The most enjoyable part – more... of the job, was helping the customers, and offering my services for both the company, and the customers. – less
Departmental segregation.
Shoe Department Manager (Former Employee), Madison, WIAugust 22, 2014
Pros: top down leadership style works fairly well
Cons: low wages and not enough benefits
Within your own depart you feel welcome as part of a team and the department managers are usually pretty good. unfortunately most department personnel do not intermingle and make friends outside their own department
Cleaning fitting rooms. Checking out merchandise for customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Muskogee, OKAugust 22, 2014
Pros: employee 20% discount
Cons: not an anonymous way to form or lodge a complaint if needed.
Very satisfied with working at JC Penneys. Co-workers all friendly and able to get along with each other. Supervisors works along with Associates. No "Big I and Little you". Supervisors have the best interest for the Associates. Consideration was shown toward employees during a crisis within their family.

Overall JC Penneys was a family company. All – more... staff were family within the company. – less
Awesome selection
Shoe Sales Associate (Former Employee), Biloxi, MSAugust 21, 2014
Between the shoes, clothes, and jewelry, you can't go wrong at JCP. Great prices, smiling faces, and an all around great experience.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Galesburg, ILAugust 21, 2014
Pros: management treats all employees well & provides incentivs & food at various times.
Cons: hours can decrease during non busy times
I really enjoy working here. Management works well with employees, good with honoring time off & working with hours needed.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 21, 2014
A typical day at work would be to just be on the cash register and attend customers.
great place
Cashier (Former Employee), Flint, MIAugust 21, 2014
nice place to shop and people who work there are fun to be around they would help you out with anything, everyone I worked with was a great person to.
family like enviroment
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEAugust 21, 2014
Pros: free lunches sometimes
Cons: short breaks
great co-workers with positive attitudes. I learned a lot about sales and shoes. the hardest part of the job was the stocking involved when the other team wasn't available. the best part of the job was pizza Fridays during the holidays and random pot lucks.

1 2 3 4 5

About JCPenney

A century-old name in retailing, J. C. Penney is reinventing itself to modernize its iconic but sagging department store business. – Read more