JCPenney Employee Reviews

Found 12,945 reviews matching the search
Normal reatil day
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Peres, MOJune 25, 2017
My day started off with customer returns, spent a lot of time merchandising, putting in orders online for customers, may put some outfits together. Management wouldn't want to help out with certain duties because it was too much to do, they would care more about sales and numbers more than their employees, there was almost little to no encouragement until we got new managers. We would spend hours on the registers during the weekends and spend about 1-3 hours cleaning up after the store closed for the day. They are big on selling their customers credit cards and rewards cards. The dress code is business casual, jeans and tennis shoes were not allowed at all.
Pros
employee discounts
Jcpenney
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKJune 25, 2017
JCPenney is a great retail store to work for. They pay their employees fairly and are very good with schedules. My only complaint is that when I worked for them I was in highschool, and it was during the holiday season so on school nights I was there until two in the morning.
Pros
employee discount, flexible scheduling
Cons
working holidays will kick your butt. but get ready for that paycheck.
Sales support Team
Sales Support Team (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INJune 25, 2017
I would take care of pricing and signing in the women's department of Jcpenney. I would take care of the defective items in the store. I would clearance items out and help employees put new merchandise on the sales floor.
it was a productive & fun work place
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJune 25, 2017
a typical day at work for me was working the register i learned how to unload a truck price merchandise & put it out on the floor the management team there was great .
Hours horrible pt cant live off there hours
Shipping and Receiving/pacer (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 25, 2017
Well not all management is bad some supervisors are great some are hypocrites and some just don't know what the there doing I work min 27hrs a week cut down to 12hrs week
Pros
For support team go in early 4am 5am get out 10am had rest of the day off
Cons
Employee hours are horible the harder you work the less hors you get
Sephora inside of jcpenny fort wayne IN
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort wayne INJune 25, 2017
This was a horrible place to work at Sephora inside my JCPenney's they have the wrong people in management and also the wrong people inside of JCPenney's as managers. When I was hired at Sephora we had one beauty manager I had been there for total of 5 months and there have been one beauty manager to leave and approximately three girls to leave as well and now I see why that is there is a lot of underlying issues inside of that Sephora as well as one manager taking things to her head and being very racial It's a Shame & Scandal all inside of one if you love drama not working as a team then this is the job for you it's just ridiculous and I feel bad for anyone who loves makeup and enjoy being around good people because this is what they have to offer you good luck if you apply there especially the one in Fort Wayne Indiana
Its a fun place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 25, 2017
I love my job as manager here, the guests are fun to work with and you get to watch the kids grow which makes you feel like they are your own at times
Pros
Friendly, Never a dull moment, Something new every day
Cons
Restrictive creativity, Hostile environment at times, Long hours
Great
Master Stylist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAJune 24, 2017
JCP salon is a great place to work, they offer a lot of learning opportunities and paid training and advancement is very achievable multiple times a year.
an okay place
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LAJune 24, 2017
The environment was ok to work in but the management sometimes were non-dependable. The one thing good that I did like about working with this company, it helped me improve my customer service skills and helping others.
Very clean and fun place to work for
Cashier/Manager (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXJune 24, 2017
The location I was at was very clean and friendly. Being a manager there for a year was a great experience and gave me new light on different companies and their styles (I was a manager at Albertson's for 3 years). I loved the employees and how they gave me hints on the very complicated cash registers. I was treated fairly, got a lot of hours, and was awarded a $50 gift card for having the most customers sign up for their credit card (which offered them an extra 30% on top of other sales. So they could get 80% off their total in 1 transaction). It was an experience I will never forget.
Pros
Lots of good discounts, good people to work around
Cons
Black Friday, VERY complicated registers and software systems
Fast-paced and challenging environment
Assistant Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Montclair, CAJune 24, 2017
Multiple tasks to do in a fast-paced environment. Many challenges that require a level-head and ability to multi-task and prioritize. Must be able to handle stress and be willing to work long hours as needed.
No hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Temecula, CAJune 24, 2017
Management will tell you hours depend on credit sales but hours go to preferred employees as managers play favorites. Managers will discuss personal matters of employees among each other and other employees.
Good part time job, able to supplement income
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAJune 24, 2017
Learned how to provide customer service in a pleasant work environment. Management was great most of the time and employees helped each other. The hardest part of this job was working late evening hours and having to get up early the next day to go to regular job. This job was very helpful in providing great part time work with benefits!
Benefits
Cons
Company outsourced work to another State.
Horrid Corporation
Photographer/Sales Team Member (Current Employee) –  IndianaJune 24, 2017
The studio I currently work in is a low-volume studio. This means there is nearly always only one person there to do everything: answer phones as required, paperwork, running photo session, clean up, grading photo session and any other random work corporate decides we should be doing. The DM of my studio seems unable to understand this aspect we face.
Even though our customer are consistently very pleased with their experience with us, our sales average have always been high, we are constantly yelled at by DM and corporate for our images from the sessions not being what they (corporate) want.

Corporate has arbitrary rules that we must follow no matter what. To do this would impossible to keep our studio running because it's not what our customer want or expect to pay money for.
(Examples: we are expected to have a specific type of background, we must shoot specific types of poses, though the rules on don't match what our DM demands vs the examples sent by the company)

My co-workers and manager are some of the best I've had. We all defend each other every time. We cover shifts and help out each other. This job would be great if it was just the 3 of us.

But any part of this company higher than my stored manager has taken away anything enjoyable about this job. Rules don't make sense and therefore, are hard to follow in the best of circumstances. They have lied to us as well: about how to be compensated for helping other stores, for being reimbursed, or be paid a bonus for filling in as manager when ours was out for a few months for health reasons. (told we'd receive
  more... compensation...we never got it)

I would never recommend working for this company. I'm not sure how long they'll be in business. I'd barely recommend going to them as a customer.
Pros
good manger to my specific studio
Cons
company lies about compensation, treat customers and photographer like robots...at best.
Not made for the long-term
Catalog Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAJune 23, 2017
The only great thing about it was that the company was fairly flexible with allowing me most of the days off I would request. Besides that, it's the typical retail work atmosphere. Pay isn't that great, work is repetitive, people (both customers and other employees/supervisors/managers) get on your nerves. It's great for people who need a job right away, but I wouldn't suggest staying there too long. It's almost impossible to move up the ladder.
i like it
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 23, 2017
A typical day at work helping customers and making sure the department was in order and clean. I learned a lot about the window department. Management was good, as well as the workplace culture. The hardest part of the job was not enough training and not getting off on time, We could not leave the job when our department was in order we had to help in the other departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers.
Pros
could not leave on time
workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE-CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXJune 23, 2017
Great place to work and very good experience, nice people and affordable sales. The cool thing about working here, you can use the coupon of the week and also your employee discount when making a personal purchase.
fun work place
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJune 23, 2017
needs work on management
If you dont want to be on comission avoid the window treatments department, this is the most boring department to work in and not very many people come in looking for window treatments atleast not enough to make a steady paycheck.
great advancement opportunities
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH eastland mallJune 23, 2017
Wonderful place to work.great management team. The hardest part of the job was to transition from receptionist and stylist to the salon manager. Even though I was already respected and did a lot of managerial duties,
there are always of course some employees that are not happy about the change.It was a multicultural work place with plenty of diversity.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to be a part of everything that I love doing ,which was , working with my clients,solving issues and helping each stylist advance in their skills.
Pros
discounts not only on hair services, but also on everything inside JcP
Cons
as a stylist, the pay rate was not the greatest.
productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 23, 2017
taking catalog orders
where I first learned call center environment
management never really saw them
quick pace culture no dress code
getting extra hours hardest part
everyone was always smiling that's what I enjoyed
Pros
fun
Cons
too far away from home

CEO Approval