JCPenney Employee Reviews in United States

Found 9,811 reviews matching the search
Hiring, but hour cuts?
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 27, 2016
The finacial budgeting to JCP's payroll is confusing. They express how desperately they need new employees, yet every other week employees face hour cuts due to lack of funds in payroll budget.
Pros
Discount, Ease of job
Cons
Pay, no advancement
As my first retail employer I enjoyed working for JCPenney.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2016
A typical day at work consists of visual preparation,which is fixing and folding products to make them look presentable, also helping customers when I am needed. During my time at JCPenney learned basic customer service skills, P.O.S programming for the register, and the common folds of clothing. The management in JCPenney were very helpful, patient, and also very productive. My co workers tend to fraternize on the job often, but still carried out their work duties. The hardest part of the job was that the managers tend to move employees from section to section even if we had little knowledge of the area. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was helping the different varieties of customers.
Cons
Extremely late hours for non over-night employees.
Fun work place but with some complications
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Katy, TexasJune 27, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of folding cloths, making sure items were off of the floor and put where they needed to be, and assisting customers if they had any questions or concerns. I learned how to be more customer oriented. I loved the people that I worked with. everyone was so nice and friendly. the hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with the store with little number of employees. the most enjoyable part was seeing what you accomplished during a hard day at work
Pros
Prizes for special events
Cons
Short breaks
great working employment options
Sales/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 26, 2016
their are times that suck which is usually closing shifts, inventory, and black Friday basically all holidays suck! But management is amazing and understanding no real favoritism but there is an expectation of maximum effort which is reasonable.
Pros
work enviroment
Cons
no full time employment
Very accepting and easy going
Lead Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJune 26, 2016
I came to JC Penney after having a horrible experience working at Macy's. JCP has a very friendly atmosphere and is very inclusive. They don't care how you look as long as you are professional and productive.
Pros
free lunches, recognition, great atmosphere
Cons
pay, management hit and miss, mostly part time options only
Great place to shop
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Pablo, CAJune 25, 2016
Carries a wide range of house hold items. Caters to wants and needs. Provide coupons and promotions to ensure customer reasonable prices.
Pros
Caters to Employees
Assisting cusotmers
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 25, 2016
JCPenny is just another regular job. Most enjoyable part is the customers. Management is not all that and they only care about coverage and making sure enough people are there for closing. If you have an emergency they rarely care.
Wonderful experience.
Jewelry Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 25, 2016
Co-workers were great and very helpful. I enjoyed assisting my staff in selling Jewelry. Customers were wonderful. I had a great staff. Management was great. Enjoyed looking at newest trends in jewelry.
Pleasant and easy going
Part time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIJune 25, 2016
It was a good and easy job. I worked in retail and I am stylish to begin with. It was a great feeling for customers to come to me with fashion questions because they appreciated how I represented the company. The management there was great because every morning there was some kind of team meeting where either the head manager or the one directly below them would rally us and would want to get us excited for the new work day. My coworkers were just as excellent in the sense that they were always very helpful. The hardest part of the job was I was not able to sell credit cards at the end of each day, but that's okay. I really enjoyed being able to be around all the clothes. Plus I really enjoy organizing and putting things away, and that was one of my jobs.
Pros
Being around happy people, helping customers
Cons
Only being able to work part time
Fun but had flaws
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 24, 2016
For working at JC Penney for only 3 months, the store i was located had many flaws. One manager had tendency to disappear, and another was never at the store, workers talked badly of one another and everyone pushed work onto the newer members. Overall it was noticeable who truly cared and who was just there because. Hopefully working at a different location will be beneficial.
Average retail life
SALESPERSON (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLJune 24, 2016
If you've worked in a retail store before, this is no different. Crazy Black Friday's, open/closer lifestyle, customer service skills required
Pros
discount on levi's jeans
Cons
working every holiday and weekends
Productive Job
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 24, 2016
I learned to deal with a lot of angry customers, leaned to listen and have a lot of patience. Very fun place to work, get to meet new people every day and help them out with their fashion, put together some of your favorite pieces as well as theirs and watch it become something they really love and be super happy!
Pros
employee discount
Cons
not really any benefits, managers need to be more helpful and guiding
Excellent Work Place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  West Gate MallJune 24, 2016
I only worked with this company for a short time, but my co-workers were very friendly and always willing to help a hand. Sometimes, customers would act rude, but that's Customer Service for you. On a average day, we would be pretty busy throughout the day which made shifts go by faster.
Pros
Great/very nice co-workers, benefits, discounts
Cons
Short breaks
fun work place
Sales Associate/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJune 23, 2016
fun work place. great environment. decent pay for area I lived in. management is wonderful and the company really takes care of you
productive and great workplace, great people
Customer service specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 23, 2016
I loved working at jcpenny, it was great working there, it was so productive. I learnt a lot.
i used to get associate discount and meet new people everyday.
Pros
associate discount
Cons
very tired by the end of my shift
Loss Prevention manager
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 23, 2016
Managed a staff in shoplifting prevention, fire protection, institutional security and accident prevention. Conducted internal investigations and fraud investigations.
Pros
being able to investigate
Cons
limited advancement
Productive and fast pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  White Lake, MIJune 23, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of working the cash register when things got really busy and working on the floor in my department and talking to people. I learned more about computer systems, dealing with money, and how to talk to people.
Pros
free food
Cons
short breaks
Fun and relaxing place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bellefontaine, OHJune 23, 2016
I enjoyed my time at JC Penney. I had many responsibilities including stocking the shelves, unloading the truck, entering the truck load into the system, taking inventory, running a cash register, answering the phone and tidying up the store. I was very involved in this job and I only wish they had more hours to offer me. I started on holiday staffing and was kept but only getting 10 hours a week after the holiday ended. It's a great job for the holiday but outside of that it's really only worth it to be full time.
Great Experience
General Manager (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJune 23, 2016
Great Experience
Multiple changes with forward planning to improve customer loyalty.
JC Penney will continue to drive results with exceptional leaders in place. Leading the retail market with order on line pick up in stores.
Pros
Customer Service
Laid back atmosphere
Shoe Specialist/Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 23, 2016
Not a bad place to work but has it's times where things do not go very smoothly.

Management could be more efficient in how things are conducted.

Management could show more consistency from associate to associate.
Pros
I enjoy the department I work in.
Cons
No benefits, always cutting hours.