JCPenney
3,520 reviews

JCPenney Employer Reviews

A good job for the student, but not for a career.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Blytheville, ARAugust 18, 2014
Pros: direct deposit, hour long lunch break
Cons: slow compensation, tedious side jobs, overly complicated coupon system, career opportunities are very far off and require an unhealthy dedication to the job
Typical days were standing at a cash register checking out customers while straightening the floor to make it presentable to shop from.

Management was typically very helpful, but was strained in their duties. They seemed unhappy with their job. The upper management never seemed to care about the employees on a personal level. Results were always the – more... goal.

My co-workers typically stayed segregated from each other. Not many were friends. It was more of a convenience for them to be there to get the job done for the day.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the mundane tasks of upper management such as coloring and sizing everything to perfection. If the tables or racks were disorganized while you were away checking or assisting with specific customers in another department, you were reprimanded for letting your department become unsatisfactory.

The best part of the job was meeting new people. Not every customer was amazing, but quite a few could make your day simply by being polite or sharing a funny story.

What I learned from my time there is to make sure to have a smile on your face at all times. Do what you can do with your best effort. That's all anyone can ask from you. – less
Good people
Cashier (Current Employee), Bridgeport, CTAugust 18, 2014
Pros: get out early.
Cons: managers, jcp company itself.
It's ok at my job. Been there far too long.
Learned a lot on customer service, and just talking to people in general.
All my co-workers are good people.
Hardest part of the job, is when we are behind because of not having a lot of people on my team.
Most enjoyable part of my job is meeting/talking to new people.
I dont let people ruin my day.
Front end wrap (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2014
Here at Jcpenny we have a lot of customers coming in and out. Trying to do returns and exchanges. All we can do is our job and help them to the fullest. When customers have an attitude I do not get one back I try to help the best way I can if I can fix I know management can .
nice people but not the job for me
Sales associate (Current Employee), New Philadelphia, OHAugust 18, 2014
i work in the shoes department and meet alot of nice people only thing i found wrong with this job was the credits u needed to receive
Bad experience
Customer service (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: associate discount
Cons: inconsistent hours, rude management, pay
From the minute I started this job the management and other employees were rude. New people were quitting all the time because of it. They don't want to waste money so they only schedule one or two people in a department at a time, and expect you to handle everything and work so hard only making around minimum wage. The pay is NOT worth the stress. – more... They tell you there's room for advancement when hired but really there isn't. Waste of time and stress. – less
Not for everybody
Sales Representative and Cashier (Former Employee), PonceAugust 17, 2014
Pros: they compensate your good work
Cons: not many hours of work
If you like to work with people then this is a great job for you
its ok
Cashier/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 17, 2014
it was only a seasonal job. Great when it comes to getting discounts fro employees
Great to work for if you enjoy working with customers
Shoe Sales (Former Employee), Troy, MIAugust 17, 2014
Pros: learned people skills, and patience.
Went in counted register. Helped customers find the perfect shoe by measuring each guest. Retrieve the shoe and if the customer liked it rang them up.
customer service
Plaza las Americas- Servicio al cliente (Former Employee), Hato rey P.RAugust 16, 2014
In this company I served as customer service, helping my clients resolve their situations by offering excellent service and quality.
Productive and fun working place
Customer Serviced/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Huntington Park, CAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: free meals and certificates
Cons: short breaks
Had a great experience not just as an employee but as a customer as well. Working with very positive and outgoing people was also a plus. I like how all departments were set competitions in order to meet the company's goals and get rewards in return.
Retail
Customer Service (Former Employee), Abilene, TXAugust 16, 2014
Good Place to have first job. I learned lot. I was there very part time but I have no complaints.
Great coworkers, but communication is awful
ASD (Former Employee), Wellington, FLAugust 16, 2014
Pros: people said hi even when you weren't working.
Cons: lack of communication
I enjoyed working there, made great friends with co-workers new and old. I usually was pretty good with my hours vs availability. Had support from management when a customer issue arose. It was a like a good family at times. However, once they started changing things around, like the n_zi they brought in as a dept manager. Started cutting my hours, – more... bringing in excessive new employees in what was already a slow moving dept, which accounted for the loss of over 30% of my hours. The DM for our dept wasn't any help either, nor could she be of any help regarding the training staff, which was NEVER held accountable for her mistakes. It was a bittersweet experience. So to those who want to be a part, think twice! – less
Great Staff, Feels like family.
Cashier, Catalog Dept., Stocking (Former Employee), Akron OhioAugust 14, 2014
Pros: great meetings with promotions.great staff
Cons: only one break.
Everyone there is a hard worker and very open to inviting you in and helping you when you start. They make you feel like you are a part of their crew and it's a very friendly environment.
Box B-oversaw 8 departments
Sales Manager (Former Employee), florida & AlabamaAugust 14, 2014
Managed everything the customer sees (experiences) from the staff, customer service, as well as set executions and availability of merchandise.

Oversaw 8 departments supervisors and their staff. Worked on customer service levels, store environment standards, and development of leadership in the building. Also cross-trained associates to work in different – more... departments to give them ability to learn from different management and leadership styles.

-Opened 3 new stores in 2 months time for company as well – less
lotsof traveling
Stylist, instructor, sales rep (Former Employee), St.Marys OhioAugust 14, 2014
did not care for all the traveling but the enviroment was nice andfriendly Prices made it hard for customers
Very good place to worke
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: not a career job to advance in
Good place to work as an college student and gain some experience in retail with the exception that this is not a job where advancement can be achieved.
Hours are flexible
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 13, 2014
I work in kids dept and I like helping the customers with their purchases
Not the Job for Me
Sales Associate (Former Employee), West Mifflin, PAAugust 13, 2014
I did not like being a retail associate. Time seemed to drag, the location I was at my co-workers were much older.
Fun Place To Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Council Bluffs, IAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: you get 25percent of discount
Cons: you only get one 15 min break if you work 6 hours or less
Fun Place to work they take good care of the costumer, but they really bug you about credit cards you have to get a certain number a week, have to do more then other managers/supervisors have there favorites they are really picky of whatever you do.
Its Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAAugust 12, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: retail
Its retail job. I personally would go work at the Mall of Louisiana.

1 2 3 4 5

About JCPenney

A century-old name in retailing, J. C. Penney is reinventing itself to modernize its iconic but sagging department store business. – Read more