JCPenney Employee Reviews in United States

Found 9,524 reviews matching the search
Love the atmosphere!
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Houma, LAFebruary 7, 2016
Although I do not have very much tenure with JCPenney, I have been a loyal customer/fan forever. The atmosphere is the best I have ever experienced! I was not searching for a new position when the recruiter from JCPenney contacted me, but I was so excited to have the chance to be part of their team! In my position as Human Resources Manager, my job is dealing with people on a regular basis - associates, supervisors, managers, as well as customers. We have a very cohesive team that work well together. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to interact with people each and every day and help them through difficult situations. Performance management is the hardest part of my job. The most important thing is to ensure that you are being fair and consistent and in line with the company's expectations.
Pros
great atmosphere, work-life balance, compensation
Cons
staff reductions due to company restructuring
Associate
Associate (Current Employee) –  MaineFebruary 2, 2016
Management is friendly. Pay is good for being a cashier in the retail industry. There are no benefits at the Customer Service level. I don't think there is much work life balance as schedules constantly change. It's retail and you have to work nights and weekends. So it's not necessarily a negative against the company, I just think retail in general is not ideal if you are raising a family. It is good for college kids, high school kids, retirees and single people. You can earn more money if you sell credit cards. $2.00 for every approved application. This is a good job if you are looking for a second income. I definitely would not be able to survive on this paycheck alone.
Pros
Management is friendly
Cons
You don't always get what you are promised for a schedule.
Great Team and Management
Women's Retail (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 13, 2016
I have worked many retail job and never have I worked for with such a caring retail team and management.
I loved working there! And was reassured if I ever needed help with a costumer, product, Point Of Sales system problem, or anything the team or the management would help with patience and understanding. I found it very comfortable working in the women's department and occasionally the teens department over the holiday season.
The only thing I disagreed with was the pushing of the corporate credit cards. In order to have a higher change of getting hired on or any benefits management would ask floor sales persons to push the credit card applications.
Pros
Great Team, Great Management
Cons
Not Enough Hours, Too much focus on selling credit cards
positive work place. Management fun morning meeting prep
Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAFebruary 28, 2016
Put out all jewelry in the right cases. made sure all merchandise was clean and in the right place. made sure all cabinets were locked. received new merchandise and put in proper place. walked store to make sure everything was clean and neat.

I learned how to become a manager with the excellent management I had there.

Management was always there to help if needed.

I got a long with co-workers and became friends after I left. Been in some weddings from former go workers. Have seen many graduate from high school and college.

I do not have a hard part of the job.

The best part of the job were having fun with customers. I am very out going and love to talk and help customers. I also like working in a fast pace.
Pros
flexable hours and 401k plan
Cons
medical was too pricey for me to take.
Was a great workplace at one time- not anymore
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTMarch 16, 2016
A typical day- you never know how busy it is going to be
If it's not- be prepared to lose hours or having to pay your lost hours with your vacation time where as the temps can stay and work their 8 hours
It's always about saving the budget yet management takes no hits on their pay
On the other hand if it's busy be prepared to work overtime and if you can't do it if it's scheduled- you will be disciplined with an absence
Very hot in the summer
The longer you have been there the more they want you gone
Temps are now treated better than regular associates as they get no benefits at all and ideally that's the direction the company wants to go- all temps
Don't count on management to go up to bat for you as they are too worried about keeping their jobs
You work very hard- no appreciation for being a good worker anymore- the more you do- the more they will give you to do
Low moral
No pay raises worth mentioning
Pros
If you are a long time employee the vacation time is great
Cons
the longer you stay there- the bigger the target on your back to get rid of you
Hard to get promoted
Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 9, 2016
It was hard to move up in this company. I was there for 3 years and every year I had a new boss and had to prove myself all over again. I had to fight to get raises and one of the times I wanted to explore the idea of a new position my boss actually told me that "just because you are good at one job, does not mean you will be good at another." Selfish little thing was trying to keep me on her team for fear of loosing me and having to train another. That was the straw that broke the camels back. I found a new job within 3 months at a company closer to home, that paid way more, doing the job she told me I wouldn't be good at.
Pros
Discount in the stores
Cons
Admins have no voice there, hard to get promoted
Not the best place to work
Customer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 27, 2016
It's definitely not the best place to work in retail. You do a lot of work for little pay. Management does not relay anything to others when you call out for work. I have left notes and only one person reads them and doesn't relay that information to anyone else. I loved my coworkers, that was probably the only thing I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job is dealing with people. It does come with the job, but some people really test you. I would not suggest working the holiday season unless you can tolerate the people you deal with and being away from your family. I worked Thanksgiving night till four in the morning and came back into work that night again. It was not fun at all. I personally think you could find a better retail company to work for, and have better pay and benefits.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, poor management
cashier (Current Employee) –  Tupelo, MSDecember 27, 2015
Working for JCP has helped me out a lot engaging with the customer's, and giving great customer service. I learn about how important it is to help and solve the customer's issues to make them happy and continue shopping with the company. The management team is great, and very helpful when needed. The co-worker's do their job, and work hard to meet goals. I don't find anything hard about the job because once you love working for a company, it's easy to solve problems, and come up with ideas for the company to help make it to the next level. I love the customer's and the people that I work with, makes me feel as if I'm at my second home.
Pros
free food once meeting goals
Cons
great benefits
Great place to work with many opportunities and good pay
Detail Checker/Line Loader (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 9, 2016
A typical day at JCPenny Logistics can vary greatly. You never know what the work load may be. This eliminates repetition, and makes the work day go by much faster. I worked with some great co-workers and excellent management. There seemed to be no hard parts of this job. Cross training was implemented for every department which ensured job security for motivated workers. This overall was one of my favorite places to work.
Pros
good management, pay, and benefits
Cons
down seasons
JC Penny
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMarch 2, 2016
Received and processed cash and credit payments for in-store purchases.
Opened and closed the store, including counting cash, opening and closing cash registers and creating staff assignments.
Verified that all merchandising standards were maintained on a daily basis.
Increased purchase totals by recommending additional items.
Informed customers about sales and promotions in a friendly and engaging manner.
Pros
free lunch, multitask, flexible hours, great benefits, paid rate average
Cons
poor manager, lack of communication with manager, other then that was great working here
Nice Employees, but Bad Management
Shoes Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 3, 2016
I loved my fellow employees that I would see on a daily basis, but the management was kind of a mess. The salary management anyway. The Human Resources Supervisor is very inappropriate. She will tell you very personal facts about herself. The merchandise Manager and HR manager and friends and will sit and talk in their office for hours. They aren't willing to help you, when they're both working, because they would be too busy gossiping about fellow employees. A typical day at work is seeing them chatting on the sales floor, ignoring customers. But, a lot of the older, regular employees are very easy to talk to, and will help you when a problem arises.
Pros
Fellow Associates
I love my job!
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIDecember 11, 2015
I love my job, my managers are the BEST EVER, I have very nice co-workers. It's a hard job at times, because you have to be on your feet all day but its a good job. I've learned to have A LOT of patience with this job. Management over all is so-so. But the managers are great. My co-workers are great, Well most of them, The hardest part about my job is the "customers come first rule, or they are "ALWAYS" right. NOT TRUE AT ALL. The most enjoyable part of my jobs is my team! I love working in the kids department because my co-workers make me happy! And seeing my managers. I have two specific managers that are the most sweetest people you will EVER IN YOUR LIFE meet. I love them so very much!

GREAT JOB, Would definitely recommend if your a people person, and like being busy!
Pros
AMAZING mangers, great co-workers!
Cons
No health benefits unless your over 30 hours a week
fair
Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 17, 2016
Work is good, there are a lot of clients to go around. There is a lot of color business which I love. I have learned how to work for a corporation. Management is ok. I work with a great team. They are all good stylist. The hardest part of my job are the hours.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the color business in the salon. I love to make others feel good and look good.

I feel that the compensation does not measure up to how hard I work in the salon, and so far I have been given only promises. If a better job came available offering me more money for my experience I would take it.
Great Advancement Opportunites
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, ArizonaJanuary 29, 2016
JCPenny was wonderful at identifying the needs of the employees and doing everything possible to train and aid in their skill sets to improve opportunities for advancements.
Walking in to work for your shift was a joy. There were managers always greeting you with a smile and a positive feeling for your shift.
Management was at the ready to assist with any difficult customer service needs that you may experience at any given moment throughout the stores different departments.
The general positivity throughout the store truly made all employees brighter and more willing to go the extra mile for the store's success making everyone a joy to work with. The hardest part of the job was the slow hours as finding something to keep you busy became more of a task however this was not something I struggled with a great deal. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and the building of trusted relationships by assisting them with a smile, even when they were upset.
Pros
keep the employees involved, by providing free lunches, snacks, and creating a fun and lively environment.
Cons
Lack of benefits and small wages
Delivering online orders, answering phones, assisting customers.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAFebruary 12, 2016
Customers come in to pick up their online orders, I answer main phone lines, and transfer calls to departments. I assist customers on the sales floor regarding merchandise, and on the register . Return merchandise for the online desk, and pack merchandise to be sent back to warehouse. Managers, I feel some of them need to have more training, and have a more positive working relationship with co workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I meet so many different people and strike up a conversation.
Cons
Not full time, health benefits are offered, but you pay.
Very Productive place to work, employees were happy.
Primary Duties - Assist Customers (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMarch 10, 2016
I was given my 4.5 hours to work 3 to 4 times a week, I would come in and clock in, then go down stairs to the Jewelry Department and get my keys from the lock door sign my key out, then go and work behind 3 very large glass cases areas, where all the Diamonds, gold, silver, cubic zirconia rings, watches, were and help customers with their needs and wants. I learned a new transaction daily, my co-workers were friendly and enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job was to keep the costume jewelry department, that was to the side of the main jewelry cases neat, they were a very big mess at the end of every shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the customers, and finding what they wanted by purchase, that made me feel good inside, cause they were happy with me. The customer left the store happy and content with their purchase.
Pros
Nice place to work, we were given on a paycheck a 1% commission on our total sales every 2 weeks
Cons
NO benefits, unless you were a full time employee, and that was after 1 year of employment
Worked there for almost three years
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMarch 8, 2016
Full of unpaid t.o. you can get always keep you right at part time hours so you never qualify for full time benefits (but your full time) black out periods really mean black out unless you have credit cards opened everyday constantly scheduling when you request off very low pay took me almost 3 years to get 50 cent raise place Sucks
Pros
Clothes discounted
Cons
Hard to move up, get full time hours, you miss tons of holdays working
Kind of Impressed
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 7, 2016
So I was hired on as seasonal and kept afterwards. This place has a very positive environment and the managers are quite fair. Yes they ask us to open credit a lot but that's pressure from above. For the most part, my schedule has been VERY fair. If I've needed time off, gotten sick, or wasn't feeling well, they were supportive.

I would say that the company itself should try to send out it's benefit mail a bit earlier. I got it AFTER the date I was supposed to sign up so I can't sign up for benefits. :( They do have high expectations of us but it's doable. Quite so.
Pros
Snacks, vending machines, GREAT employee discount, good environment
Cons
Short lunch, benefits timing
Not a good place to work
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOFebruary 21, 2016
The management will make false promises to get you to do what they want, will set you up for failure, reprimand you with the office door open, talk about you where everyone can hear them.
Also, the company will raise the prices on their products and word their sales so it sounds like your getting a good deal...do the math.

Proceed with caution
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lies, disrespect, backstabbing, cheaters, and no hours
Fun, energetic work environment
Sales Associate/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CADecember 1, 2015
I worked at JC Penney Portraits for about 2 years. It is a very fun work environment, easy going and a great place to gain experience. The only issue i had was never getting a raise that was well deserved, the hours are very low until seasonal time comes around and then they drop tremendously. No one is ever full time other than the manager, but it is also because of the studios size. It gets pretty stressful sometimes but only if you let it. It is a great place to work if you are into photography or even sales.
Pros
commission, fun work environment, flexible hours
Cons
never any breaks, low hours