JCPenney Employee Reviews in United States

Found 9,825 reviews matching the search
Was a great workplace at one time- not anymore
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTMarch 16, 2016
A typical day- you never know how busy it is going to be
If it's not- be prepared to lose hours or having to pay your lost hours with your vacation time where as the temps can stay and work their 8 hours
It's always about saving the budget yet management takes no hits on their pay
On the other hand if it's busy be prepared to work overtime and if you can't do it if it's scheduled- you will be disciplined with an absence
Very hot in the summer
The longer you have been there the more they want you gone
Temps are now treated better than regular associates as they get no benefits at all and ideally that's the direction the company wants to go- all temps
Don't count on management to go up to bat for you as they are too worried about keeping their jobs
You work very hard- no appreciation for being a good worker anymore- the more you do- the more they will give you to do
Low moral
No pay raises worth mentioning
Pros
If you are a long time employee the vacation time is great
Cons
the longer you stay there- the bigger the target on your back to get rid of you
Love the atmosphere!
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Houma, LAFebruary 7, 2016
Although I do not have very much tenure with JCPenney, I have been a loyal customer/fan forever. The atmosphere is the best I have ever experienced! I was not searching for a new position when the recruiter from JCPenney contacted me, but I was so excited to have the chance to be part of their team! In my position as Human Resources Manager, my job is dealing with people on a regular basis - associates, supervisors, managers, as well as customers. We have a very cohesive team that work well together. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to interact with people each and every day and help them through difficult situations. Performance management is the hardest part of my job. The most important thing is to ensure that you are being fair and consistent and in line with the company's expectations.
Pros
great atmosphere, work-life balance, compensation
Cons
staff reductions due to company restructuring
Associate
Associate (Current Employee) –  MaineFebruary 2, 2016
Management is friendly. Pay is good for being a cashier in the retail industry. There are no benefits at the Customer Service level. I don't think there is much work life balance as schedules constantly change. It's retail and you have to work nights and weekends. So it's not necessarily a negative against the company, I just think retail in general is not ideal if you are raising a family. It is good for college kids, high school kids, retirees and single people. You can earn more money if you sell credit cards. $2.00 for every approved application. This is a good job if you are looking for a second income. I definitely would not be able to survive on this paycheck alone.
Pros
Management is friendly
Cons
You don't always get what you are promised for a schedule.
Great place to work with many opportunities and good pay
Detail Checker/Line Loader (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 9, 2016
A typical day at JCPenny Logistics can vary greatly. You never know what the work load may be. This eliminates repetition, and makes the work day go by much faster. I worked with some great co-workers and excellent management. There seemed to be no hard parts of this job. Cross training was implemented for every department which ensured job security for motivated workers. This overall was one of my favorite places to work.
Pros
good management, pay, and benefits
Cons
down seasons
cashier (Current Employee) –  Tupelo, MSDecember 27, 2015
Working for JCP has helped me out a lot engaging with the customer's, and giving great customer service. I learn about how important it is to help and solve the customer's issues to make them happy and continue shopping with the company. The management team is great, and very helpful when needed. The co-worker's do their job, and work hard to meet goals. I don't find anything hard about the job because once you love working for a company, it's easy to solve problems, and come up with ideas for the company to help make it to the next level. I love the customer's and the people that I work with, makes me feel as if I'm at my second home.
Pros
free food once meeting goals
Cons
great benefits
Great place to meet new people.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 5, 2016
Typical day starts with counting tills. Checking the floor to be ready to open. I learned management skills by helping to create schedules for my dept. Learned to read reports and how to see what sells fast or slow. How to listen to the concerns of associates and customers alike. Most co-workers worked as a team. Hardest part of the day is when you have to get off the clock but you have that one last customer that needs help. My enjoyment came from talking with customers, helping them to find that certain item that they've been everywhere but can't seem to find it.
Pros
friendly atmosphere, learning different customs from other associates.
Cons
Sometimes long hours and missing family outings.
Great Team and Management
Women's Retail (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 13, 2016
I have worked many retail job and never have I worked for with such a caring retail team and management.
I loved working there! And was reassured if I ever needed help with a costumer, product, Point Of Sales system problem, or anything the team or the management would help with patience and understanding. I found it very comfortable working in the women's department and occasionally the teens department over the holiday season.
The only thing I disagreed with was the pushing of the corporate credit cards. In order to have a higher change of getting hired on or any benefits management would ask floor sales persons to push the credit card applications.
Pros
Great Team, Great Management
Cons
Not Enough Hours, Too much focus on selling credit cards
A wonderful company that still has some work to do.
Fine Jewelry Expert/Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 11, 2016
JC Penny is an excellent company to work for. As an employee, I get the benefit of true scheduling flexibility, a great team of associates to work with, and a fantastic store discount. However, I really feel bad about the pay. The store can hardly expect to hold onto decent employees with the severely low pay. When I signed on, I had two years of sales experience getting paid 30-50% more than the offer I received from JC Penny for equivalent work. As I was only intending to stay in a temporary position, I hardly argued. However, now I'm really feeling the effects of it. As some of the stores continue to close, I wonder how detrimental changes are necessary to secure the safety of the thousands of associate JC Penny employs.
Pros
Long Breaks, Considerate Management, Wonderful Culture
Cons
Poor pay, frequent issues resulting in the loss of the individual stores
Great Advancement Opportunites
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, ArizonaJanuary 29, 2016
JCPenny was wonderful at identifying the needs of the employees and doing everything possible to train and aid in their skill sets to improve opportunities for advancements.
Walking in to work for your shift was a joy. There were managers always greeting you with a smile and a positive feeling for your shift.
Management was at the ready to assist with any difficult customer service needs that you may experience at any given moment throughout the stores different departments.
The general positivity throughout the store truly made all employees brighter and more willing to go the extra mile for the store's success making everyone a joy to work with. The hardest part of the job was the slow hours as finding something to keep you busy became more of a task however this was not something I struggled with a great deal. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and the building of trusted relationships by assisting them with a smile, even when they were upset.
Pros
keep the employees involved, by providing free lunches, snacks, and creating a fun and lively environment.
Cons
Lack of benefits and small wages
positive work place. Management fun morning meeting prep
Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAFebruary 28, 2016
Put out all jewelry in the right cases. made sure all merchandise was clean and in the right place. made sure all cabinets were locked. received new merchandise and put in proper place. walked store to make sure everything was clean and neat.

I learned how to become a manager with the excellent management I had there.

Management was always there to help if needed.

I got a long with co-workers and became friends after I left. Been in some weddings from former go workers. Have seen many graduate from high school and college.

I do not have a hard part of the job.

The best part of the job were having fun with customers. I am very out going and love to talk and help customers. I also like working in a fast pace.
Pros
flexable hours and 401k plan
Cons
medical was too pricey for me to take.
Hard to get promoted
Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 9, 2016
It was hard to move up in this company. I was there for 3 years and every year I had a new boss and had to prove myself all over again. I had to fight to get raises and one of the times I wanted to explore the idea of a new position my boss actually told me that "just because you are good at one job, does not mean you will be good at another." Selfish little thing was trying to keep me on her team for fear of loosing me and having to train another. That was the straw that broke the camels back. I found a new job within 3 months at a company closer to home, that paid way more, doing the job she told me I wouldn't be good at.
Pros
Discount in the stores
Cons
Admins have no voice there, hard to get promoted
Not a good place to work
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOFebruary 21, 2016
The management will make false promises to get you to do what they want, will set you up for failure, reprimand you with the office door open, talk about you where everyone can hear them.
Also, the company will raise the prices on their products and word their sales so it sounds like your getting a good deal...do the math.

Proceed with caution
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lies, disrespect, backstabbing, cheaters, and no hours
Was a Good Place to Work, If You Had to Work RETAIL
STORE TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDNovember 14, 2015
Worked at JCP HOME Store for 1 year in Des Moines, Iowa, then many years in Salisbury, MD JCP store. The JCP culture of "a fair price for a well made item" was still in place while I was a part of JCP. I was proud to be part of that philosophy of retail. Good training and support from the top down (CEO to department supervisors). Good people to work with. Lots of variety in a day's time. Some "politics," but no more than to be expected. If you did your job to the best of your ability, you were good, and usually were commended on your efforts. Advancement was easy for me. Loved all of the positions I held during my years at JCP.
Pros
Lucky enough to have had good supervisors and store managers.
Cons
The incredibly long hours from Thanksgiving through Dec. 27 every year.
Not the best place to work
Customer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 27, 2016
It's definitely not the best place to work in retail. You do a lot of work for little pay. Management does not relay anything to others when you call out for work. I have left notes and only one person reads them and doesn't relay that information to anyone else. I loved my coworkers, that was probably the only thing I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job is dealing with people. It does come with the job, but some people really test you. I would not suggest working the holiday season unless you can tolerate the people you deal with and being away from your family. I worked Thanksgiving night till four in the morning and came back into work that night again. It was not fun at all. I personally think you could find a better retail company to work for, and have better pay and benefits.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, poor management
Worth the Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Okemos, MIDecember 2, 2015
Besides the 25% discount and flexibility with your hours, there's not much to say for making 8.25 an hour. They will either schedule you a lot or not at all. Other than that, management is easy to talk to, laid back and is understanding of your needs. They accommodated my disability and treated me the same as everyone else. Coworkers are super friendly and always willing to help. Teamwork is an obvious value we share. There is busy work, but it makes the time go by faster. Long shifts (average shift is 10 hours). The work is very easy and the customers are nice.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
long hours, little advancement
JC Penny
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMarch 2, 2016
Received and processed cash and credit payments for in-store purchases.
Opened and closed the store, including counting cash, opening and closing cash registers and creating staff assignments.
Verified that all merchandising standards were maintained on a daily basis.
Increased purchase totals by recommending additional items.
Informed customers about sales and promotions in a friendly and engaging manner.
Pros
free lunch, multitask, flexible hours, great benefits, paid rate average
Cons
poor manager, lack of communication with manager, other then that was great working here
fair
Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 17, 2016
Work is good, there are a lot of clients to go around. There is a lot of color business which I love. I have learned how to work for a corporation. Management is ok. I work with a great team. They are all good stylist. The hardest part of my job are the hours.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the color business in the salon. I love to make others feel good and look good.

I feel that the compensation does not measure up to how hard I work in the salon, and so far I have been given only promises. If a better job came available offering me more money for my experience I would take it.
Good for first job teenagers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJanuary 19, 2016
This job would be very good if it wasn't for closing nights
You are expected to clean a very big store in such a little time, but can only accomplish so much and with only so much people
Their "Competitive pay" is only a quarter more which is almost a joke to me.
Management was alright but they would get out of hands sometimes
Management was really frustrating when it came to projects, I remember one time I spent 5hours rearranging a department because one manager wanted it this way and another manager wanted it another way. After project was finally done I come in a day after and it is completely rearranged. It was a waste of time and trust me when I say this really unnecessary because the department was looking spot on even before it was rearranged.
Customers at my store were rude and very uncooperative
Hours were really bad too
Pros
%25 off anything
Cons
Management, pay, hours
Great place to work. Fun environment and fun people.
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYJanuary 19, 2016
My only reason for giving two stars for Job Security is because it was a temporary position. Had I been asked to stay on, I'm sure the rating would have been higher. I learned a lot about retail sales, updated Point of Sale systems, compared to the ones I was used to. I loved working with the customers daily and really enjoyed all of my coworkers. It was a fun, energetic place to work. The management team was so encouraging to everyone and always made time to help the new employees with questions and concerns. If we, as new hires weren't sure about something there was always someone there to help, be it a member of the management staff or an employee who had been working there longer than us. I actually miss working there.
Fast paced place to work. You are dealing with product to fit on the sales floor, customer interactions and scheduling challenges.
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 24, 2016
The fun part of retail is that every day you will experience challenges so it is never slow and your day will go by quickly. You are constantly learning new core standards, the sets change monthly and you will always be moving merchandise that will be featured in the current ad. The managers at JCPenney have a very good work ethic and are very customer orientated. Managers are taught to have an open door policy so as to take care of associate issues on the spot. There will always be associates who perform on an A, B and C level; consequently there are varying degrees of partnership. On the whole co-workers do a very good job assisting each other. The hardest part of the job is time management. Due to the hours that the store is open, it may be challenging to have a good work/life balance. The most enjoyable part of the job is the great group of associates that JCPenney attracts. Making a customer highly satisfied is very rewarding, especially when they come back and remember the great service that they were provided.