JCPenney Employee Reviews in United States

Found 9,943 reviews matching the search
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CA 92392July 12, 2016
My day started at 5 AM opening boxes of merchandise sorting them by size color department brand and style. From there its off to replenish sales floor. Folding clothes making sure the customers have a great shopping experience by maintaining a clean organized store. Provide excellent customer service. Maintain a clean and well-organized stockroom. My co-workers and supervisors were awesome. They gave me rides to work and home when they found out I left home at 2:30am just to make sure I was on time at 5am because I had to walk. Another co-worker even went as far as buying me a bicycle so I wouldn't have to walk. I really enjoyed my time there and would go back anytime.
I worked there for two years
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 23, 2016
It was a better environment when I started. The company moved some people around and now it's just a mess. I don't recommend working there. However I did get a raise every year, I had coworkers that had worked there for years with no raise at all. These people had much more experience but still did get recognized for it. The company gives no respect to your schedule. I really wanted to like my job there but management has made it unbearable.
Pros
Coworkers are really nice
Cons
Management, scheduling.
Some of the best years of my life were in Escanaba MI JC Penney Salon
Designer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 11, 2016
I LOVED working at this salon! There was a lot of wonderful employees and great training. Super place to work. My original goal was to only work at this salon for a couple years to gain a bit of experience before going on my own but I was happy here. I enjoyed coming to work. I liked the my boss (miss you Sharon!). My coworkers were my friends...and to find a salon with more than 4 stylists that get along (we had 12+) was quite a feat.
JC Penney change over
Support Lead Expert Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJune 21, 2016
unloading the truck making schedule for the truck team and recording the amount of time it took to finish got the pricing / visual team started .What I learn ? I learn how to check in a truck, do inventory, pricing department ,women department and walk the store and fix the visual sets .Management had some good and bad the store has had three Manager from 2013 to 2016. Had great co-worker , wasn't a hard part . Enjoyed my team
Pros
had a great team and team leader even if i was out they got the job done
Cons
the lunch break change
Horrible place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  VermontJuly 9, 2016
The people you work with are amazing people, minus a few, however, the MANAGEMENT is AWFUL. They have no care for personal life issues, aren't understanding, and care more about making goal and looking good then how they treat their employees. Hours are completely unreliable, some weeks you'll be work like 25-30 hours a week and others you're lucky if you can even scrap up 10. Pay is completely unreasonable for how hard a lot of the employees work. Favorites are definitely picked.
Pros
Co-works
Cons
Management, hours given, pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJune 21, 2016
The management is very friendly, and the work is not strenuous or difficult. All the tasks asked are very simple and easy to learn. The hardest part about the job was not having enough inventory in stock most of our purchases had to be online or bought from another store.The most enjoyable part was having good co-workers and managers who would feed us food on special occasions and let us have an overall enjoyable experience at work.
Pros
free food sometimes, fun enviroment
Cons
short breaks
Friendly and productive work environment with great management
Sales Associate/Fine Jewelry Expert (Current Employee) –  North Aurora, ILJune 22, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of updating signs for the Fine Jewelry department while assisting all customers that came into the department or needed help. I learned further how to communicate with customers and assist them. I also learned a lot of new information about jewelry that I hadn't know previously. The most enjoyable part of my job was the relationships built with the customers and coworkers. A difficult aspect to my job was having to find the perfect piece of jewelry for that customer's specific liking.
Pros
Relationships, friendly environment
Cons
Hours given
Fun and relaxing place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bellefontaine, OHJune 23, 2016
I enjoyed my time at JC Penney. I had many responsibilities including stocking the shelves, unloading the truck, entering the truck load into the system, taking inventory, running a cash register, answering the phone and tidying up the store. I was very involved in this job and I only wish they had more hours to offer me. I started on holiday staffing and was kept but only getting 10 hours a week after the holiday ended. It's a great job for the holiday but outside of that it's really only worth it to be full time.
Fun work place but with some complications
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Katy, TexasJune 27, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of folding cloths, making sure items were off of the floor and put where they needed to be, and assisting customers if they had any questions or concerns. I learned how to be more customer oriented. I loved the people that I worked with. everyone was so nice and friendly. the hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with the store with little number of employees. the most enjoyable part was seeing what you accomplished during a hard day at work
Pros
Prizes for special events
Cons
Short breaks
Productive work environment to excel in upward mobility.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 28, 2016
A typical work day included making sure the store looked presentable, working the cash register and ringing customers and helping them with purchases, information, and assisting them any way they needed to ensure the receive the best customer service.

Working at JC Penney has a strong emphasis on the Golden Rule, or treating others the way one would like to be treated. Being a part of the staff and working with customers will teach patience, neatness, respect and how to enjoy the work environment.
Organized and clean
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 29, 2016
during my time of employment i assisted each customer as they shopped to help them find everything they needed then after they were satisfied with their items i would also become their cashier, after each transaction i would make sure i did everything for them to make their experience the best it could. Also, at the end of each shift we worked as a team to replenish the building for next days work shift
Pros
very friendly co workers and in the mall so convenient to get other things done if needed
Cons
JCP had a huge lay off during my time of employment
Great People to work with
Distribution Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 10, 2016
The company invests in their people offering specialized training. The work life balance is not that good especially when staffing is cut and it requires more weekend work. On a good note, upper management does allow input from supervision to improve process. There is a good culture of process improvement.
Pros
Good culture of process improvement, Great people to work with, Supervisors have more control over their operation
Cons
Upper leadership tends to micro-manage, Upper leadership candidates are not properly vetted to insure that they are competent
Very Fair Place to work
Detail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno-Stead, NVJuly 7, 2016
Very fair, and the company that does go by the book.
I love that they will cross train you in many area's. It helps break up the monotony of going to work. I worked with a lot of long term associates like my self. I can't say there is truly a hard part of the job, some area's can get physical. I loved the people and management I worked with . I definitely felt like it was a fair company. I felt like I was part of the team.
Pros
Very fair company
Cons
You do work holidays, weekends and mandatory overtime
Very fun environment to work in, and always staying alert.
Warehouse Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Dane County, WIJuly 7, 2016
It was a pleasant experience working with the company because of the people there, they were fun and so willing to teach me new things. We worked as a team rather than alone. The management team were always on top of things, which helped us in retail to keep moving smoothly with the customers throughout the day. The hardest part of this job, was getting let go by the company for very personal reasons.
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIJuly 8, 2016
was a pleasant experience, worked mostly evening, did sales and appointments. Was told there would be a pay raise but was paid trainee wages the entire time. Never seemed to complete training. Had a weird on call policy. Didn't have a good scheduling system either. My coworkers were all helpful and nice, but the hours and on call periods were conflicting with my full time student schedule.
Pros
nice coworkers, decent work load, good with breaks
Cons
scheduled hours, training program
Loved the job, bad upper management
Temp Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 8, 2016
I enjoyed this job and had no problem coming to work until I realized they kept scheduling me to close by myself for a whole department on the busiest days of the week. I felt the my co-workers never did their job and I was left with a mess and a lecture. I was scolded almost every time by upper management for not being able to get a whole trashed department done within two hours while helping every customer I saw. It was sad because most of the co-workers were out for each other and plain rude and always tried to get someone in trouble. SO, with that being said I would work for them again, but I wish people who were higher up were more respectful and understanding.
Good company to start at for your first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAJuly 10, 2016
For the most part, you really only have to deal with customers at the register and in the fitting room, because the store is easily laid out for them to find what they're looking for. Management is understanding, and they're able to work with you if you go to school. You have to be able to do lifting, squatting, bending over, and slight aerobic activity (pushing carts). Other than that, the co-workers are super nice, and everyone tries to help everyone,
Productive and easy going work place
Master Stylist (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAJuly 17, 2016
Prepare for the client to arrive making sure all the equipment is on and you have the product you need.Their is always continue educational classes to keep you updated with your craft.one of the things that I love doing is teaching my co-workers what I have learn and also they share with me.Not having my pay go up and down with season I need steady pay check.my customer the love they showon me and I show them .My client may come in feeling one way and by the time he or she feeling much better and I have done my job.
Pros
sign on bonus if you meet your sales totals
Cons
full time employee get insurance and vacation, 401k
This was a great company to work for up to about 2009 then company changed for the worse.
Customer Service Specialist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 18, 2016
I learned a lot from all my old coworkers..sups and managers back when I started there up till when they all left the company for whatever reasons...they were all long time assoc.longer then me...25-30yrs. Ive been there 23 yrs and there is no moving up low moral.
A typical day is customer service...fitting rooms...cleaning floor..stocking floor...setting merchandise plans ...answering phones...online orders..open charge accounts..training new assoc. Delagating .
I will say and customers all ways say not enough help.
Pros
assoc dis
Cons
took away fulltime benefits...cut hours
Very diverse environment, amazing co-workers
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MilJuly 19, 2016
JC Penney's call center is very diverse! I have the pleasure of working with all people from many different walks of life! There is never a dull moment at JC Penny's, there a daily updates, training, and improvements! It is also a pleasure to work side by side with my amazing co-workers, who are just as enthusiastic about helping our customers as I am!
Pros
Fun events & ways to learn recognition from the leaders
Cons
Not much room for growth, short lunch breaks