JCPenney Employee Reviews

Not family oriented at all
Stylist (Former Employee), WVAugust 1, 2015
I worked at JCP salon for two years. At this time my son was an infant. He would get sick so I would have to take off work.Strike one:One time he was hospitalized for the flu. I had the hospital and his dr fax my manager all of his papers and everything they needed for me being off work for over a week with my baby. When I returned to work not only did I get a verbal warning for large amount of days missed but also "wrote up". Strike two: I missed a Saturday of work because I had a horrible stomach virus. An employee decided it would be funny to make up that I had went out of town to visit my boyfriend. Well that was a lie considering my fiancé and I had lived together in the same house for 3 years. My manager believed them! Another verbal warning. Strike 3: I wasn't making enough money and didn't have very high productivity being a new hair dresser so I decided to get another job along with that one. When the manager found out she put me on the spot in front of the whole salon and called the state board on speaker phone trying to say it was illegal for me to work anywhere else. Which it's not all. (And she was a store manager. Shouldn't those people know salon laws?) anyways, I quit. And have been super happily self employed for the past 5 years. JCP not a family company.
JCP
Leader on Duty/ Retail management Internship (Current Employee), Richmond hts ohioAugust 1, 2015
The harder you work the more likely you will have a chance to advance. Great place to step into the archway of retail. Happy to work for this company.
A great place to work
Support Supervisor (Former Employee), Taunton, MAJuly 31, 2015
I greatly enjoyed my 12 years at JCP. The other team members became like my family. If my store did not close I probably would have worked there for the rest of my life.
productive fun place to work
Service Specialist (Former Employee), Calumet City, ILJuly 31, 2015
Pros: nice people
Cons: none
a very easy slow paced at time job customers were friendly most of the time. i caught on fast and enjoyed every day of working there. learned a lot from that job
great
Sales Support (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXJuly 31, 2015
Worked well with others, whenever I asked for help someone was always there to explain or do a little hands on training. The one thing I liked was If there was a family issue, they would take an excuse. We could put in overtime without questions asked espciall during holidays.
Fun Work Environment
Cashier and Recovery Associate (Former Employee), Stockton CAJuly 31, 2015
Awesome experience working at JCPenney. Everyone was great to work with. Management definitely made the stressful holiday season easier to get through by having fun activities throughout the season.
Typical retail job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), MassachusettsJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Benefits at low levels not worth having
Typical retail job with focus on customer relations and sales. Daily push to meet credit application goals is typical of many department stores. Flexible to a degree in shift choices.
Great discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Prescott, AZJuly 31, 2015
You get a 25 % off discount on clothing! Hours varied every week and pay wasn't as great. They only hire for part time too. You would ring up customer transactions and they pushed getting customers to sign up for a JC Penney card. Sometimes days were slow.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate Representative (Former Employee), Dearborn, MIJuly 30, 2015
A typical day at work is fun and structured. I learned a lot about relating to other people and adapting to change. I liked the job a lot
Was able to get my job done without a lot of micro managing
pricing and signing (Former Employee), DeWitt, NYJuly 30, 2015
I did the signing and mark downs in the ladies dept. and helped in the other areas of the store. The people I worked with were pretty much good people and helpful.
great environment to work
Service Associate (temporary) (Former Employee), Springfield ILJuly 30, 2015
I love being in a department store especially working in the kids section and seeing all of the cute things. The time kind of goes by fast when you're actually doing what you need to do. Around the holidays it gets really busy, especially Christmas.
Productive and fun place to work at a fast speed
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), El Centro, CAJuly 29, 2015
I really enjoyed working at this place of business. It was very fast paced and productive. We were required to keep the store organized and make sure that all items were kept where they belonged. The staff there were all very friendly and make working there so much easier.
Fun and Inviting Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Victoria, TXJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Potlucks, Competitive Goals
Cons: Short Breaks
Get to work have a morning meeting very fun and also won prizes and get to talk about our goals for the day, then we go to the register and open and count it. I absolutely loved working with the customer and helping them find what their heart desired!
Retail regular
PT Cashier (Former Employee), California, MDJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Great incentives programs
Cons: Hard to grow in the organization
High demand for credit applications. Customers are very courteous, and loyal to good service providers. Management willing to work with you for scheduling needs as long as done in advance. Fun.
Fun Place to work
Dock/ Shippinh and Recieving (Current Employee), Troy, MIJuly 29, 2015
Typical day at work consists of unloading the truck, unpacking and organizing the merchandise and putting it to the floor in a nice neat and timely manner. My co-workers are hard-working and easy to get along with it. Management is easy going and easy to get along with. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting my work done and knowing my check in waiting on me so I can spend it on my babies.
A day at JCPenneys
Department Supervisor (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Benifits 401k
Cons: Over worked under paid
Coming in checking emails
Answering customer related issues
Door to floor shipment planning
coaching in the moment
engagement with associates and customers
hardest part of my Job would that you have to perform a job, under staffed
Good place to work for college students or someone looking for a second job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Murfreesboro, TNJuly 29, 2015
JCPenney is a good place to work if you are single, a college student, someone looking for a second or part time job, or even if its your first job. Associates are friendly and work well together. Management works well around your personal schedule. For the most part, hours are flexible.

On the other hand, the salary does not reflect the responsibilities and tasks performed on a daily basis. You certainly cannot support a family solely on a JCP salary.
My co-workers are very knowledgeable with the products
Merchandise set execution supervisor (Current Employee), Bronx New yorkJuly 28, 2015
Pros: employee insentives / breakfast, sometimes lunch .
Cons: short schedule for the associates
Assiging my co-workers to their projects having them accomplished in a timly manner,I like the retail industry because I meet a lot of interesting clients , My associates are very nice to work with and they are very had working
Was a great foundation
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Great people, great starting job
Cons: no room for advancement
They hired me with no experience which is awesome to get experience however, once you have worked they for a while there is not much room for advancement. Great starting job though, they taught me everything I needed to know about retail.
good teamwork and fast pace working environment
Sales/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Maplewood, MinnesotaJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Everything was done in fast and efficient way
Cons: No carts in the department which made it difficult to help disability people.
A typical day at work includes helping many customers and organizing department products. Customer Service included helping customers in store and on the phone. I improved my communication as well as my teamwork skills. I also have a stronger work ethic. The hardest part of the job was answering questions from customers which I didn't have answer to, but I would direct them to people who knew the answers. The most enjoyable part is just being able to help customers with what they are trying to find.