JCPenney
5,766 reviews

JCPenney Employee Reviews

Fun place to work and gain experience!
Fine Jewelry Expert (Current Employee), Yakima, WAJuly 3, 2015
I really did enjoy working here! The environment was great, just lacked foot traffic because it is in it's own building. It's just time for me to get serious and find a Full-Time position!
Great Job opportunity, Learned alot about company and employee management
Talent Resource, Lead Training Supervisor (Current Employee), Garden City, NYJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Great Job Security, opportunity for overtime
Cons: Hours are more eratic (not able to work 9-5)
I have worked at JCPenney for 19 years and am thankful for the opportunity to work there. I believe I have had a chance to further developed my customer service skills year by year, grow in knowledge of employee training and management. Multitask on many levels, supporting upper management and creating an environment that is supportive and helpful to the employees and company goals.

I have had great training in problem solving and coordinating employee schedules of over 300 employees. I have had experience in training and onboarding new employees, teaching them company ethics and creating an environment where customer service is most important.

I am a faithful employee and have been for close to 20 years. I am looking to get out of retail and into more administrative or Human Resource jobs. It is important for me that a company has deep conviction about customer service ethics and has a team work environment. My spirit and leadership ability can give positive energy and life to my work environment.

I feel I have given this company many years of this kind of support and would like to have a more stable 9-5 schedule Mon-Friday as this job at JCPenneys has many hours that are out of that time frame.

Due to all of my years of experience I believe that I would be a strong and faithful team member to any company that I join.
I would appreciate being in a company that values employees, puts customer service first and represents their product with confidence and conviction. It is my joy to serve in an environment that holds these kind of business ethics and would do my best to contribute to that end for the company.
Productive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAJuly 3, 2015
I learned how to close cash registers, how to work in a fast paced environment, and how to treat customers properly. I also learned what it was like to work with coworkers with different ethnicities and various age groups.
Easy job.
Stocker (Former Employee), Clarksville, INJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Right next to the mall, saw alot of people.
Cons: Part time work, it was boring.
My aunt got the job here she was the HR of JC Penny, it was only part time work and I needed something full time. I didn't get any benefits, and I like all of the co-workers.
Management is horrible.
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee), Downey, CAJuly 2, 2015
The little time I worked here, I saw about 5 employees at different times get humiliated in front of a customer for a mistake they did. Very unprofessional.
Fun environment and great opportunities to learn
Visual Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee), Muncie, INJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Always get breaks, diversity in employees, food provided often, jean days often, friendly environment
Cons: Short staffing a lot, struggling to grow as a company, not much room for advancement
We work with customers to find merchandise that is perfect for them in every way. We try to make customers want to shop with us over our competitors.
Great people, great potential
Team Coach Specialist (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 2, 2015
There were really great people, but management had disconnects on several levels. Very limited upward mobility due to few positions. This could potentially be an excellent career for the right person.
Didn't Enjoy This Job
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee), 1005 N Promenade Pkwy, Casa Grande, AZ, 85122July 2, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Horrible Hours
A typical day at work would include a lot of rearranging clothes, folding, and rude customers. I learned that it's important to be as polite as possible and understanding when you're talking to an unhappy customer. The management gave me very long hard workdays but only for 1-2 days a week. My coworkers didn't really talk to me. The hardest part was folding continuously for hours at a time. The most enjoyable part was out discount.
calm workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIJuly 2, 2015
My day at jcpenny was 95% customer service and 5% folding and organizing clothes. the management and coworkers were fun and nice people.
Worst job I've ever had
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jackson, TNJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Coworkers are team players. Free food sometimes. Extra money for signing people up for credit cards
Cons: Management. Understaffed. Closing shifts are overwhelming.
Management is terrible. They have no idea what they're doing. None of them could be trusted. The newest store manager made the old one look like a saint. Big on favoritism and treating people who have seniority better than the newer people. Wanted SOME people to have open availability and no other jobs while others could have a full time job outside of jcp. Always understaffed so expected their employees to work like slaves. You could start out getting 30 plus hours a week and in the end end up with 5 depending on how they felt about you.
great discount
Supervisor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 1, 2015
either not enough hours or over working their associates, Customers are very needy. You must be able to multi-task. Co- workers are great. The best thing about working for JCP is at holiday time when you get a lot more hours,
Support Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Northridge, CAJuly 1, 2015
AMAZING WORK HOURS always busy good work environment good management amazing staff always hiring easy application process good training amazing work place
Productive and fun place to work
Lead Customer Service and Sales Floor Specialist (Current Employee), Batesville, ARJuly 1, 2015
Pros: The things I have learned
Cons: Not getting paid what you are worth
JCP is a good place to work. As of right now we have a wonderful boss at store 2436. He makes the job a lot easier knowing that we can go to him absolutely anything.
However, being such a small store the drama within it could use some work. It's a lot to have to deal with sometimes.
Have Great co-workers for the most part.
The work hours were great for my scheduling
Customer Service Representative/Logistics (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 1, 2015
Pros: worked around my schedule
Cons: kind of a seasonal job dealing with retail, it would get very slow
I would help customers and make sure that the clothes were put out on time and that they were categorized properly by color, size, and style. I wore all kind of hats and multi-tasked a lot of the times whether it was working the register, putting out clothes, pricing items for mark downs, and trained new employees.
Pretty good job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Henderson, NVJuly 1, 2015
I loved the job but had no days they barely call you into work so very little money.
They put you on a different department very often so you have to be adaptable
TREATING EMPLOYEES/CUSTOMERS WITH RESPECT
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), 1700 W INTERNATIONAL SPWY BLVD DAYTONA BEACH FLJuly 1, 2015
THE BEST PART OF MY JOB ON A DAILY BASIS IS GETTING TO MEET NEW PEOPLE BY THE MINUTE AND CONNECTING WITH THEM ON A MORE PERSONAL LEVEL WHEN IT COMES TO THE OCCASSION AND A PERSONS PERSONAL FASHION....MANAGEMENT HAS A HARD WAY OF SHOWING THE APPRECIATION FOR THE AMOUNT OF WPORK AND TIME IT TAKES TO DEAL WITH EACH AND EVERY CUSTOMER NOT KNOWING WHAT TO EXPECT.
Positive environment & comfortable dress code
Furniture Corporate Customer Relations Rep (Current Employee), Wauwatosa, WIJune 30, 2015
JCPenney is a company that has a very professional and positive work environment. My co-workers are my family away from home and management has a personal relationship with everyone. The hardest part of my job is that I do not have more time to build a more personal relationship with some of my customers. Since I have been employed at JCPenney I have learned to be more time efficient and I have also learned to deescalate situations outside of what is required of me at work.
Awful
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lansing, MIJune 30, 2015
I disliked working for JCP because they would work me like a dog and then yell at me because I could not get everything done. Our team was constantly give too large of a work load and then looked down upon when we could not handle it all and finish everything. I loved my co-workers and my manager they were really great and we all had a great time getting things done as a team. I learned to be weary of retail because they don't care if you have children or lives or school to worry about all they care about is the work.
It was temporary
Worker (Former Employee), Suffield, CTJune 30, 2015
Pros: It was on the bus line
Cons: Too short and demanding
The job was alright but knowing that it was only gonna last a short time kind of was depressing. Truthfully it was boring and my co-works was not happy at all
Rewarding job
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 30, 2015
Learned a few important things about the retail business. This job taught me the skills of merchandising. A job well worth the time and energy spent to get better interacting with guests.

1 2 3 4 5

About JCPenney

A century-old name in retailing, J. C. Penney is reinventing itself to modernize its iconic but sagging department store business. – Read more

JCPenney Salaries