JCPenney
5,557 reviews

JCPenney Employee Reviews

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waterford, CTMay 21, 2015
Pros: discount, almost always food in breakroom, very good working environment
Cons: seasonal positions
this is a fun diverse place to work. The employees are profesional while still being like a family having things like dinners and baby showers in the breakroom
Fun, enjoyable work environment sometimes...
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Paris, TXMay 21, 2015
Pros: light workload, fun co-workers
Cons: short breaks, poor heat/air circulation
I work for the JCP in Paris, TX and sadly, there is no room for advancement due to the selfishness of the store manager. I love my job, it keeps food on the table, but it seems like the manager tries to work his employee's to death, on an average work day there are maybe two associates at the front and maybe one or two LOD's(key carriers) that are willing to help with anything, the store manager has the schedule set up to where there is usually only one person at the front of the store no matter what time of day it is and usually that one employee is left with the entire store and cannot satisfy the needs of every customer, if a customer needs help, well to bad for them because the one sales associate on the floor cannot leave the front.
Although I do feel like this is a great job to start out with, but not one to end with. Usually there is not much to do during the day hours seeing as there are hardly any customers. It is a constant effort to do recovery to the managers likings, but the store manager is hardly ever out on the sales floor. I enjoy the work environment when it comes to the other employees.The other downside to working here is their hours are terrible the pay is too. I usually average atleast 20-30 hours a week and a hardly make over $300 every two weeks.
A little hectic, but a lot of fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Carson, CAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Work environment
Cons: A few angry customers
Associates whom I had the pleasure of working with were phenomenal. On occasion I came across customers who required a little more patience and time. Overall the amount of positive vibes I received from others helped make the day or evening run smoothly.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Riverside, ILMay 21, 2015
Part time associate, loved the environment and people i worked with. Regular customers are what made the day even more enjoyable.
Productive and warming environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Greendale, WIMay 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Discounts, Food
Cons: Short breaks, unorganized lunches
I learned to handle money responsibly as well as please customers and handle situations in a professional manner. The hardest part of working in retail is knowing you will have to please everyone differently. I most enjoyed making customers happy.
Productive and welcoming
Team Leader (Current Employee), Montebello, CAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Free lunches during holidays
Cons: management
I learned many new things such as time management, cleanliness, ability to multitask, and be a leader to a group of people. J.C. Penney is very strict with tardies and lates. You must work more than 35 hrs per week to gain paid time off. Hours are inflexible.
Diverse work place
Merchandise Processor/Job SkillsTrainer (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 20, 2015
Pros: hours, days off.
Cons: healthcare benefits, old warehouse.
Typical day at work would consist of sorting merchandise, prepping it for shipment. keeping work area clean and free of debris, Training new hires on the packing department, assisting others when in need. hardest part of the job would be the consolidated merchandise and sometimes lack of communication, and planning.
great job with never a dull moment
sales associate (Former Employee), York, PAMay 20, 2015
i loved my job because there was never a dull or boring day. even on slow customer days there was always plenty of operational tasks that needed to be done. we had a strong team and management knew me and my strengths and always asked me to help out with jobs outside my area. i enjoyed working with the diverse group of people in the store and learned much about myself and others through them. the hardest part of the job would have to be when call offs prevented me from doing all the extra tasks that kept me busy. i thrive on having many jobs to look forward to. the most enjoyable part of my job was constant contact with different people and the fast pace of the job.
Great Location
Merchandising Support Specialist (Former Employee), Lanham, MDMay 20, 2015
• The work environment is always friendly
• Multi-tasking was a good learning experience
• Co-workers are always a team player
• Adjusting from slow pace to a fast one
• Learn and faced new challenges
Great place to Start
Juniors/Women's Sales Associate (Former Employee), Twin Falls, IDMay 20, 2015
Pros: Co-Workers
Cons: Pay raises
I was a college student so working there was easy for me. I worked part time in the Women's Department. Everyone working there was in college because of the town so it was fun. Pay never really changed no matter how long you worked there. But every morning we would have a staff meeting to get the day started. Make sure everything is cleaned up and ready to go for all the incoming customers. My main job was to work one on one with customers, make sure they stay happy and are happy when they leave. We have a small quota of sales per JCPenney Credit Cards and my quota was always met but getting the approval rate was the hardest part. I learned howork with other personalility by working at JCpenney
I enjoyed working there because I enjoy doing Retail Sales work.
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hoover, ALMay 20, 2015
Pros: Good discounts
Cons: They didnt have enough help.
I enjoyed working there because I got to work on my feet. I got to help people and restock merchandise which I enjoy doing.
Always something to do
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYMay 20, 2015
Assisted customer having good time at work. enjoy working with co-workers. enjoyed brakes when we were giving treats and lunch they treatd us good.
employee friendly
Lead Expert (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 20, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: the incressing responsibleties
staying busy with employees ,training, coaching, learned to be more productive use my mind not my back , I have a great team of co- workers ,we r a team, ,Hardest part oh my job is scheduling , Employees come up and say I cant work this day I need this day off I need to leave early , the most enjoyable is the customers
Good compensation, fun environment
Replenishment Team (Former Employee), Glendale, CAMay 20, 2015
Helpful supervisors,managers, and co-workers. Fast pace work environment that provided me with substantial experience and knowledge in stock room organization, freight unloading, shelf restocking, and customer service.
The Experience of Retail
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Southaven, MSMay 19, 2015
Pros: recognition and bonuses
Cons: Vacation time, benefits
A typical day at work was greeting customers and helping them to choose and locate merchandise. Working as a sales associate I learned how to be patient and value the different demeanors that individuals has. The co-workers that I worked with were team players everyone was willing to work together to accomplish the goal that was set or duties that need to be completed. The hardest part of my job was to keep the attitude of every customer is right even when they are clearly wrong and also dealing with the different personalities of customers was also a challenge. The most enjoyable part of my job was being allowed to be involved behind the scenes far as organizing and mapping out displays for the store.
productive and fun workplace
visual specialist (Current Employee), garden city new yorkMay 19, 2015
Pros: managers were very helpful
Cons: lack of work hours and benefits
a typical day would include me looking at the computer and ipad finding the graphics you need and changing the floor set for the month that includes graphics, fixtures, and updating mannequins. and giving the store a nice clean finish.
If you dont have a steady clientelle do not work here.
Hairstylist (Current Employee), Frisco Texas Stonebriar MallMay 19, 2015
Pros: Quiet- laid back. Friendly co-workers, free classes.
Cons: Management breathing down your neck. Short notice meetings and classes. Hard to reach goals.
I love this salon and the people I work with. The management Is not the greatest. They have unrealistic goals you have to make to stay there. They will tell you they are busy, but truth is, its not. The front desk is told to give clients to certain people. So if your new, or a "designer" level you will not get a walk-in until all the masters and seniors are completely full first. Then its battle over the walk-in between the available designers. There Is definitely some strong favoritism is this salon. They are hiring like crazy and tricking people into coming here with empty promises and lies. This place has a lot of potential but I fear with the remodel things are about to get very intense with management. Too stressful and very unrealistic.
I would not recommend this place.
Had to keep busy always something to do.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Saint George, UTMay 19, 2015
Pros: Flexible with hours
Cons: Short Staff
Making sure that all dressing rooms were clean and had no clothes in them. Folding clothes and making them look nice, helping customers with anything such as ringing them up to showing them to another department in the store.
enjoyed working with them
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Houma, LAMay 18, 2015
I've learned how to fold the clothes properly, never in one place, always on the go, loved management, my coworkers were nice and helpful, the hardest part of the job was to make sure the clothes were all folded neatly and help customers to the dressing rooms, the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people
a fun place to work with family atmosphere
Window Specialist/Sales Associate/Supervisor (Former Employee), Waterloo, IAMay 18, 2015
Pros: was the family and team members
Cons: was the pay and the hours
A fun place to work we worked as a team members we were a family are benefits were good we got a 25% discount we help each other

1 2 3 4 5

About JCPenney

A century-old name in retailing, J. C. Penney is reinventing itself to modernize its iconic but sagging department store business. – Read more

JCPenney Salaries