JCPenney Employee Reviews in United States

Found 10,095 reviews matching the search
productive fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 18, 2016
Typical day would be busy working at the mall. I've leanred a lot on this job on how to be proficient customer service wise as well as productive in the work/task I was assigned to do.Also,became very good at sizing men for suits,knowing what each customer wants style,fit,feel,etc.co-workers helped me also be successful in my time there building me to be one of the best workers in the district for several months.Hardest part of the job was being more than one place at a time trying to keep my customers happy which later I had adapted to and became much more productive and manageable.
Pros
manangement loved my work, free lunch for great customer servicing
Cons
being treated as an manager minus not getting paid for it
Working to satisfy customers and increase sales.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAAugust 18, 2016
A typical day at work can be different everyday. It can get really busy all of a sudden where I can't even get off the register, or to the point where my whole department is clean and I am sizing everything. I have learned that customer service is one of the main key points because I want to treat a customer the same way I would like to be treated when I walk in any store. The management I believe, could be better. Some work harder than others. My co-workers are amazing, everyone gets along very well! We all have the respect for one an another. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with angry customers, but my enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with kids and seeing them smile.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
management can be better
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYAugust 18, 2016
On a typical day you greet customers, help stock the store and clean it up if needed, you ring in customers items and handle their transactions. Co-workers are great. Management is good! Good place to work.
Associates generally did not do their job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLAugust 18, 2016
I was a cashier, promoted guests getting a credit card, and put items in order on the table. Most guests were very difficult to work with. I learned some patience but was horrified how people would treat us.

I had never been discriminated against and this happened with guests and the people I worked with.

Management was terrible. If you did someone wrong, he would yell very loadly to correct you on the sales floor. It made the customers very uncomfortable and many left the store. He was very prejudice and when he started he let go several white people and hired many black people.
Pros
Discount on items in the store
Cons
Great managment, but the employees have bad attitudes.
Sales Associate/Jeweler (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORAugust 18, 2016
I loved working for JCPenneys. But, some of the other employees had bad attitudes towards customers, and i don't respect that. They were consistently having talks about what customers were wearing and its something i don't respect or would do. Its very mean!
Pros
Good managment.
Cons
Bad attitudes.
Flexible part-time scheduling
Jewelry Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, INAugust 17, 2016
Working in the jewelry department of JcPenney consists of assisting customers with important jewelry purchases, as well as assisting with minor watch repairs. When not assisting customers we insure that all the jewelry is in its proper place and tagged with the appropriate price and sale price.
I have learned a lot about diamonds and other gem stones while working in this department at JcPenney.
Management is helpful and positive.
Some co-workers do not take their job as serious and slack off, but most are positive and helpful.
The hardest part of my job was learning everything I could to assist customers in making the right purchase and to answer their questions about the jewelry.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be a successful sale that leaves the customer happy about their purchase.
Pros
25% employee discount
Cons
short breaks and no benefits
made great friends. life long friends
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEAugust 17, 2016
Love helping people make a purchace. Taking care of them. personally getting to know them like a family.You will make lifelong friends.
Cons
short breaks
Good benefits
Associate Support Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 16, 2016
Retail is a difficult environment for associates with families. It is fast paced with ever changing hours!

The hardest part of the job is time constraints, the most enjoyable part is the people!
Enjoyable productive work enviroment
Payroll Clerk/Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLAugust 16, 2016
Great company to work for, excellent training for employees to further their career and enhance store productivity.Team members always willing to assist each others out during busy times off the year.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Healthcare
No Growth Potential
Customer Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 16, 2016
Although day to day operations were pleasant, JCPenney does not offer much in the growth/development department. Training is minimal and when you show ambition/desire to move up and grow as a member of the team they tend to overlook and forget you,
Pros
Fun, fast paced environment, working in the mall means lots of lunch options
Cons
inconsistent work schedule, no chance to move up the company chain

Want to know more about JCPenney?

Ask a question
Enjoyable place to earn some experience
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOAugust 15, 2016
JCPenney was a nice job because I was able to work with people that were very kind and friendly, help give customers the shopping experience I would want to receive, and at times when there are fewer customers I had something to do in the down time such as organizing or restocking.
Not so good work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INAugust 15, 2016
While we employees pride ourselves in quality customer service, the company overall is not so pleasing. Too many online orders gone wrong via the manufacturers, having to deal with hostile coworkers even after talking to multiple managers that they are a problem and yet not getting listened to. Managers who task the sales associates with more than what our job really is, examples being we sell off the floor and help out customers but also end up have to restock merchandise, fix our own signs which is definitely something we aren't ment to do, and set up displays which again isn't part of our actual job descriptions. Most of us work part time now, benifits are getting taken away from full time employees and sometimes part associates work longer hours for a lot less pay just to save the company money. And sometimes breaks are forgotten by managers because they sit in the back and just talk on their phone instead of covering the floor.
Pros
having some genuinely nice coworkers
Cons
no benefits, working more hours for less pay, shifts cut just to save money, sometimes no breaks or longer lunch breaks to save money, customer comes first before health mentality
good job good amtosphere
Unloader/Loader (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAAugust 15, 2016
The job id good and they haave good type of people that work there the managment there is okay not to good. the hardest thing about the job is getting your body right for the work.
Liked the job not the pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSAugust 15, 2016
Work was easy going sometimes hectic of course when busy but you do not get paid enough. Your schedule is all over the place so its hard to find another job outside of that. Co workers were cool. I didn't like the constant standing.
Work
Randstad Temp (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSAugust 15, 2016
Working at Jcpennys was a great time, Management was nice to the worker, they worked with you . Co-workers had great sportsmanship. The hardest park about being an order filler is they give you a time it has to be done
Complicated Customers
Leader on Duty/ Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Dodge City, KSAugust 15, 2016
I was know for being able to manage any situation with any of the customers weather it was good or bad, also very recognized by both, the team and the customers, for the excellent customer service
Pros
every credit card application came with a two dollar bonus
Cons
picking up after peoples lack of work ethic
fun place to work and i loved my co-workers
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, MSAugust 15, 2016
neatly dressed co-workers, very friendly, and always welling to help others. Great team work, and have a great discount.
Pros
get awarded for good job
Cons
poor workers
Fast paced workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  National City, CAAugust 15, 2016
As soon as you get to work, you have to be ready to immediately start working. It's fast and requires you to be on your feet for long periods of time.

The people I worked with were very friendly and welcoming, and they were very helpful whenever you have any questions.
Pros
Kind coworkers
Good retail experience, but kinda sketchy
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLAugust 15, 2016
I have no problems working there, except for the fact that the management comes off as unprofessional. They are never at their desk and never answer their phone. They are always HEAVILY understaffed and half of the associates never seemed to show up at work. Not to mention that no matter whether you are still training or not, they WILL make you work overtime whether its flexible with your schedule or not. And they HEAVILY underpay.
The thing I did enjoy about this job was working with customers and gaining experience in the work force. I also quite enjoyed the benefits they gave to workers as well.
Overall, this is definitely a job for someone who has many years of experience in retail and rough on someone who hasn't had experience at all.
Pros
Experience, Opportunity, Benefits
Cons
Poor management, heavily understaffed, Underpays, Overtime
Busy and understaffed.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Wareham, MAAugust 14, 2016
When I first started here I loved it. The store manager was very accommodating and I really enjoyed going to work every day.

The store has taken a beating of late. There is a new store manager, new HR manager, and a re-structuring of the store as a whole. Management seem friendly enough, but they do have their favorites. If you are lucky enough to be thought of as worthy then you'll get ahead. If not, watch out! Scheduling is inconsistent.

The hardest part of the job is when the store is understaffed. You're exhausted at the end of the day from doing the work of about 3 people.

Do I sound bitter? You might think so, but it's the truth and I wanted to be honest. Good luck.
Pros
The majority of the people you work with on the floor are super nice.
Cons
Management has their favorites and it shows.