JCPenney Employee Reviews in United States

Found 9,950 reviews matching the search
overall great company to work for
Salon Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAMay 16, 2016
a typical day at work is usually productive and moderately busy. Ive learned how to professionally make confirmation calls and answer customer questions and concerns regarding the salon, as well as handling cash, and working a register. Overall, managment was organized and reliable. Working with the girls that i do in the salon was the most enjoyable part of the job. They are all very sweet and friendly with one another.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
nothing
Fun Environment
Stocked merchandise (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAJuly 7, 2016
A typical day at work would involve working a assembly line for multiple hours on foot

I learned to work in any condition, the warehouse did not have air conditioning

Management was respectful

Co- workers were polite and respectful

The hardest part of the job were the working conditions, the heat was severe

The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience
Pros
Networking
Cons
Hiours were short
Out of business
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  marion, inJuly 9, 2016
I liked working at Penney's because it was busy work. I loved talking to the customers and helping them find what fits their personality the most. The management was great. All of them were welcoming and warm. The hardest part of the job was the hours. I needed more and they were only able to give me 20 hours weekly. They soon closed after I started and was sad to see it leave Marion.
Pros
People
Cons
wages, insurance
excellent customer service skills
Visual Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Elmhurst, NYJune 18, 2016
JC Penney was a professional and fun environment. JCP made its workers excited about a workday by including everyone on weekly sales and strategies to gain customer satisfaction.
I went through many personal issues and management was supportive and flexible. The open door policy was the best part. I never felt like just another associate in a store with 500+ employees. All the managers were friendly and greeted each worker by name with a smile.

I gained a knowledge of the corporate world and felt included

I also held the following positions before resigning to persue a dream of working with animals:
Customer Service Associate, Stock Replenishment & Dept Supervisor
Pros
Job advancement, excellent retail training, supportive and friendly staff
Productive, no recognition from store, indecent pay
Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 13, 2016
JCPenneys security definitely works with your schedule, BUT pay is not worth getting hurt. Associated outside of the dept make more than LPA's. No workmans comp considering the hands on work that loss prevention associates do. LP saves the store thousands of dollars, with little to no recognition from the store (it is a thankless job), no appreciation whatsoever. There is absolutely no room to advance either. The upside to working here is the satisfaction you get from stopping shoplifters.
Pros
Productivity; making a difference in reducing crime.
Cons
Low pay; no workmans comp considering the danger we are put in; understaffed; low hours
Fun work, good product
Sales specialist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 2, 2016
Work days were full of undone work, which I like. I like to keep busy. I love the customer service, JCP wants us to give. And we do it!
There is always something to learn.
Co-workers are most often awesome!
Management has a long way to go! No appreciation! Lots of micromanaging and management seems not to be qualified like the associates do!
Pros
Good stuff to sell, good balance between job and free time
Cons
Management!
Watch out for store manager other management!!
Associate Support Department Supervisor, (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMay 11, 2016
The GM at this location is well known to humiliate his employees, management included. He sends to be in a power trip causing him to make people look bad and in the process making himself look good. I had to deal with this humiliation directly on a daily basis. The time and effort you put in is never recognized. I felt as though I had to watch my back constantly. Because of this never ending harassment, it made it impossible for management to work as a team and employees began losing respect for store leadership. Overall this store had horrible leadership and a very poor environment. I would not recommend this position to even my worst enemy.
Productive, fast pace job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMay 11, 2016
A typical day at work consists of customer service and floor duty, folding the clothes, making sure the place looked clean and was properly managed. I learned how to use a cash register and learned little about the online website. Management was fair. My supervisor was spot on, polite and very helpful. Others tended to be more harsh. Co-workers overall were ok. Since it was a seasonal job, there were more workers my age. Hardest part of the job were the returns and learning how to do credit cards and the online website. The most enjoyable was folding clothes and interacting and helping the customers.
Great environment to work at.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2016
I love working at JCPenney. i love interacting with customers greeting them making sure they found everything okay. I always make sure to ask if they need any help finding an item, if we don't have it in the store I always give them the option to order the item online or check what other store have it. Being a cashier can be really challenging. I have had a lot of great experience being a cashier. I always give them a positive attitude making them feel welcomed to the store.
Great for Part-Time and not much else
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 8, 2016
For the time that I worked at JCP, it did not take long for me to realize that this was not the place I felt I could advance in, or would continue to work for long-term. From my experience, if you had a personal relationship with staff, some employees were granted extra attention/opportunity for advancement. If you were only there to work, you were looked at differently, if looked at at all. The schedule most of the time didn't fit with what was going on outside of work/couldn't get fixed. Most areas of the store were usually not tidy, but weren't kept after by employees. Access to help requests for a customer often went unanswered, and assistance calls weren't responded to in a timely manner.
Pros
Benefits for part- and full-time staff, 401K options, employee discount
Much to be improved
Loss Prevention (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 1, 2016
This company is so large, and the work environment varies so much from store to store it is hard to give a overall review. I have worked at a store that had great management and structure and really enjoyed it. But I have also worked at a store with a GM that was awful and the whole store reflected it. The stores that seem to need LP are the ones with the management issues unfortunately, so be prepared for lots of headaches, and to be disliked and completely unsupported in just about all your efforts. But if you are lucky enough to land a position in a store with strong management and people who are willing to work to make the store successful, it can be a great place to work with long term upper-management LP.
Pros
Can be a great place to work
Cons
First place companies cut money is LP
Walk, walk, walking!
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAMay 9, 2016
The job was fairly easy. It's just ALOT OF WALKING. If you are looking for a workout this is the perfect job for you. I was a order filler. The job was super easy, your RF Scanner mainly did the work for you. The people were friendly. It was very hot, but they do have fans for the summer or if it's just hot. Overall the job was ok. I would recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
Pros
Friendly People, Free water and great pay if hired permanent
Cons
Pay is horrible coming through temp service, too much walking.
Poor Rating
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alma, MIMay 10, 2016
I worked for JCPenney for 35 years. The company used to be family oriented and a great place to work. That is no longer true. They'll tell you to give great customer service but what they really want is for you to get the customer in & out as fast as you can. Not to really engage & listen to what the customer wants. When I did, the customer was happy but I'd get in trouble for taking so much time with the customer. They often understaff their stores, so you no longer can give the one on one service. Customers miss that kind of service. How do I know ? Because I listened. If they don't start listening, they'll go bye-bye like so many other blind companies.
Cons
Pay
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJuly 25, 2016
The management was rude and was never available to talk to. The overall atmosphere was dull and there were many confrontations between co-workers. Furthermore, despite working in one department, the management made it a requirement to learn everything for every department which was never necessary. Did not work with schedule conflicts and overall was a very hard place to work at.
Fun workplace with excellent staff and management
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAMay 8, 2016
A typical day at JCPenney Portraits involved cashier work, customer service, and photo editing. In this position I advanced my skills as a photographer, I learned more ways to do photo edits and learned new computer skills such as Excel. The management at the store I worked at was excellent and my co-workers were wonderful, they were all friendly yet professional. The hardest part of the job was learning to use Excel, but the most enjoyable part was being able to interact with customers and learn more photography skills.
It was an experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  McMinnville, TNMay 15, 2016
I joined this work environment to get the hang of being a sales associate, and they were really flexible with my hours with me being a full time student at Motlow State. They taught me what to expect with sales, how to handle the computer, and the co-workers were really friendly and nice. The most enjoyable part in my job is when I was folding clothes and putting them back where they belonged. The hardest was when I was working on holidays (like Black Friday and Thanksgiving) it was a wreck, but it was an experience I will never forget. It taught me how to handle things and also taught me how to keep calm and collect in a lot of matters.
Pros
Hour lunch and two fifteen minute breaks if over eight hours
Cons
communication lacked between everyone (even management)
Engaging with customers for their specific needs, Fast paced operations team
Merchandise Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orange Park, FLMay 16, 2016
Make sure to have a clean and organized store environment whenever possible. Duties given are given times to finish. The work load is higher than the amount of hours given to sale and operations associates. Very nice people working for the company.
Pros
Holiday luncheons
Cons
Very busy store and not enough associates working sometimes.
As my first retail employer I enjoyed working for JCPenney.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2016
A typical day at work consists of visual preparation,which is fixing and folding products to make them look presentable, also helping customers when I am needed. During my time at JCPenney learned basic customer service skills, P.O.S programming for the register, and the common folds of clothing. The management in JCPenney were very helpful, patient, and also very productive. My co workers tend to fraternize on the job often, but still carried out their work duties. The hardest part of the job was that the managers tend to move employees from section to section even if we had little knowledge of the area. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was helping the different varieties of customers.
Cons
Extremely late hours for non over-night employees.
great customer service
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMay 6, 2016
When I would come in I would go right to any of the stands and start to fold laundry , If I saw a customer I would always greet them.
The base of my job was super easy , just greeted people and folded/ straightened up the store.
Management would frequently walk the floors looking to see if everything was to store standards.
I enjoyed my co-workers we all got along great and stayed fairly busy. The hardest part of my job was doing the same thing everyday with no change. I enjoyed most helping men or women find clothes they would like to wear.
not too much to say other than a good experience involving day to day interaction with customers and coworkers
Store associate ­ (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CAJune 13, 2016
i enjoy working here and learned many things along with dealing customers and learning how to deal with many situations bad or good. I feel that management has done a pretty good job considering the set backs and loss of many associates. The hardest part of this job was having other associates not be on the same page towards work flow and causing delays and minor setbacks for future projects and affecting the work environment in negative manner.
what made this job most enjoyable was having customers that come to our store who have had a bad day or need assistance with whatever it may be and giving me the opportunity to have them leaving the store happy if not happier before they arrived.