JCPenney Employee Reviews in United States

Found 9,812 reviews matching the search
Was a Good Place to Work, If You Had to Work RETAIL
STORE TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDNovember 14, 2015
Worked at JCP HOME Store for 1 year in Des Moines, Iowa, then many years in Salisbury, MD JCP store. The JCP culture of "a fair price for a well made item" was still in place while I was a part of JCP. I was proud to be part of that philosophy of retail. Good training and support from the top down (CEO to department supervisors). Good people to work with. Lots of variety in a day's time. Some "politics," but no more than to be expected. If you did your job to the best of your ability, you were good, and usually were commended on your efforts. Advancement was easy for me. Loved all of the positions I held during my years at JCP.
Pros
Lucky enough to have had good supervisors and store managers.
Cons
The incredibly long hours from Thanksgiving through Dec. 27 every year.
nice environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE - SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 13, 2015
Retail sales. No benefits, Only give part time jobs, you can't have a good schedule, they always change the hours. During the holidays they hire more people and give you less hours to work.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Not security in the income.
Good compensation Not good culture
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 30, 2015
The home office environment is full of blame and "fitting the mold". Compensation is fair for this industry. Cafeteria food is great. Starbucks in the building. Ascetically pleasing building and campus.
Upward movement is not likely and not spoken of. Job responsibilities are very unclear, and everyone has their hand in the cookie jar. Very difficult to receive credit for work but expected to work and re-work constantly.
Pros
Compensation, Cafeteria food
Cons
Management, Culture
Over worked under paid.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHFebruary 19, 2016
I worked there for a little over two years. I worked in the children's department. They would only schedule one person to close the whole children's department purses and lingerie. They expected much more out of the children's staff than somewhere else in the store like juniors and we often had to stay later and go in early to help them put away carts/clean their fitting rooms ect. I understand sometimes it gets busy but the reason they didn't have their stuff done was because they were screwing around. Management still gave all of the raises to that department. I got one 22 cent raise when I was there they couldn't even round it to 25 cents lol making a total of 8.22 and I'm a hard worker my bosses would ask me to stay later than my eight hour shift almost every night. There was another person who the bosses did not like that got hired after me and she even got sent home before for not doing her work when she was a closer and they gave her 3 raises and she was making 9.50. That just wasn't right. Management also has unreasonable expectations. I got the most ICAPS (credit card apps) in the department but there were some days I would work four to eleven and there would literally be one customer the whole night and they already had a credit card but management doesn't consider the reason why places with more traffic and more expensive items get more icaps.

That was a little more negative than I intended for it to be. The job was very easy and the more I learned the more responsabilities I was required to have which I like being counted on. They've repeatedly asked me to come
  more... back. There are couple managers that are good. Mandy is the one who comes to mind. When I started she worked in shoes and then got promoted she is a great asset for JCP and the best manager by far. Very hardworking and cares about her staff. She's the one who have me a raise the minute she was promoted. She even stood up for me with the general manager because there was one week where I ended up working 5 ten hour days and they called me to come in again the next day and I came and then the gm it was Greg skala at the time asked me to close again even though I opened that time I said no because I was exhausted from all of those long hours. I've worked 12 hours before in a factory but I would never wish for anyone to work 12 hours in retail putting up with customers. So anyways he complained to the other manager that I wouldn't help out and stay that one time and Mandy told him you know she's been asked to stay later the last six days she worked and she did and she was called in today she has helped out a lot. I was really greatful that someone noticed my hard work and stood up for me. By the end of my time there I was scheduled way more than part time and they had me in all areas of the store. I even covered for the supervisors during meetings of I was working. (but not worthy of a raise or promotion) Basically what I'm getting at is that the job was fun and easy the only downfall was most of the managers for being unappreciative and not caring about their employees or recognizing their hard work but I'm sure other stores are different.  less
Pros
Very easy job some opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Most managers suck at managing, hard work gets you no where, They will overwork you and not give you a raise or promotion because they can.
Great place to work. Fun environment and fun people.
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYJanuary 19, 2016
My only reason for giving two stars for Job Security is because it was a temporary position. Had I been asked to stay on, I'm sure the rating would have been higher. I learned a lot about retail sales, updated Point of Sale systems, compared to the ones I was used to. I loved working with the customers daily and really enjoyed all of my coworkers. It was a fun, energetic place to work. The management team was so encouraging to everyone and always made time to help the new employees with questions and concerns. If we, as new hires weren't sure about something there was always someone there to help, be it a member of the management staff or an employee who had been working there longer than us. I actually miss working there.
Fairness
Sales (Former Employee) –  Bedford, INNovember 4, 2015
The company is getting rid of its older workers. Raises are laughable at best. And in different stores the managers are not always fair. There is definitely partiality shown to some workers vs othes. Ok if you just want extra money and don't care to work weekends, holiday and late nights.
Great Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  AlbemarleDecember 25, 2015
VERY WONDERFUL PLACE TO WORK.. Friendly People, great benefits. and an amazing discount. The co workers are very friendly and a pleasure to work with
Pros
Discounts
This used to be a fun place to work
Window Covering and Furniture Expert (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CaJuly 18, 2015
I have been with the company for seven years. When I got hired, we had an outstanding leadership team, the hours were great, and we received recognition and promotions on a regular basis. After a change in CEO's, the business went down hill. Our customers did not understand what the changes were all about, so sales dropped, the leadership staff was cut down, and our benefits were stripped away. Now we have a leadership team that is overwhelmed, a budget that gives very little room to expand, and moral is suffering because of this. I no longer look forward to going to work any more.
Pros
I can be creative helping my customers, and I get a paycheck
Cons
no benefits, unless I pay for them myself, no raises, very few hours
Nice employer and nice co-workers
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAJuly 17, 2015
The typical day at work we always assist customers and help them with choosing or looking for the right item. I learned to deal more with different level of people and dealing with a lot of shortages ( shoplifting incidents ) by informing or calling the loss department. My co-workers were all friendly and fun to work with, the management as well were okay but since the company was facing a downfall we were informed that the company might not last another year at that location. So far the hardest part or challenge i faced working there was doing the go backs all by yourself, and the most enjoyable part was the friendship you develop in each one of the employees who worked there.
Pros
good co-workers and better work schedules; approved my preferred day offs
Cons
health benefits and salary wage increase
A company trying to keep it's head above water.
Loss Prevention Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLDecember 16, 2015
Been there for three years and witnessed three different CEO's. No stability and very tough to advance. Changes seem to made weekly.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
hours, stability, benefits

Want to know more about JCPenney?

Ask a question
Great Place to Work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 18, 2015
JC Penny is a great place to work overall. Fun atmosphere with stellar benefits. Downside is there is a high level of attrition with hourly associates.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Continual Downsizing
Not a bad start
Lead Photographer (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILNovember 9, 2015
This is a good job if you are young. I love photography it is one of my passions in life. Unfortunately, unless your management the pay is not that great, especially for the work your performing. They really do not have benefits/insurance.
Fun Company to work for
Market Investigator (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 22, 2015
Interview process is very tough. Many interviews at home office in Plano, TX. fair company to work for, but benefits are not very good.
Stepping stone in developing retail and customer service skills.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 11, 2015
This job provided as a great way to learn more about retail businesses; I thoroughly enjoyed being given new tasks and mastering them throughout my time with this company.
They did, however, schedule me multiple time during school hours although I had changed my availability. It seemed very unorganized as a whole which caused myself and several of my coworkers to feel insecure about our jobs there.
I learned how to work well with coworkers and accomplish more as a team. I also gained confidence in my performance and got over my shyness around customers. I'm naturally sort of a neat freak so I would often be praised my managers for having a clean and organized sales floor.
Overall
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 14, 2015
JcPenney is a fair company to work for. The benefits are awesome but the actual pay does not balance with the work of the employees. It most definitely is not a good place to work if you are considering to make it a career.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
I really loved my coworkers, but the scheduling procedures and lack of management oversite was a problem for me.
Customer Service Specialist/Associate (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 8, 2015
I don't like to say anything negative about my employers, so this is difficult for me to write. JCPenney is a company that provides excellent customer service. They do have several types of benefits. However, they completely lack in taking care of they're employees.
Pros
Feeding employees during extremely busy holidays such as Black Friday and the day after Christmas.
Cons
Work scheduling, lack of oversite.
JCP Overall
Department Store- Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoOctober 23, 2015
Customer service, cash handling, cashier and returns/exchanges of purchases experience, assisting with floor moves, meet general public needs, assisting with inventory.
Pros
The associate discount, One hour for lunch.
Cons
They dont have a full benefits package for part time associates, No consistency in work schedule, Seasons are very stressful
Established company with minimal opportunities
Operations Supervisor/Forecaster (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CAJanuary 14, 2016
I was employed with JCPenney for 34 years, I earned awards Customer Service and Management Roles, however, when there was a TEMP CEO that almost ran the company into the ground, many management associates were let go, myself included.

There wasn't any work/life balance to speak of - working on average 60-70 hours per week as a Supervisor, which was the expectation of some Managers.

It was a wonderful company for many years
Pros
Close to home ( 6 miles )
Cons
Long hours were the expectation of management - no work/life balance
long term
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Devils Lake, NDNovember 24, 2015
great company to work for long term. provides skills to carry on for your future career path. Also provides great benefits and perks.
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 25, 2015
The people are very caring, and the place is overall very family oriented. The pay was about average and the benefits were good. The management were somewhat inattentive, but supervisors were really cool.
Pros
Great people
Cons
not a busy location