JCPenney Employee Reviews

Loved the hours 5am to 2pm
Pricing and Signing Team Member (Former Employee), League City, TXAugust 11, 2015
Pros: off work early enough to spend time with my children
Cons: not enough people on signing team
I would arrive at work at 5am and start the process of changing any price signs that were needed. I changed all signs, marked clearance and made sure all items were properly priced and signed for the womans department.
Fun-loving People Person
Cashier (Current Employee), Searcy, ARAugust 11, 2015
A typical day at work would be me helping customer's with their needs and them leaving with a smile on their face. I love people and lifting others up whether it be coworkers or customers/clients. In my field of work, I have learned to have a positive attitude and it is better to make lemonade than to have just sour lemons on a bad day. I try to reach out to others in a positive manner by finding something positive in each person that the Lord brings in my path. I love all my co-workers and get along with everyone. The hardest part of my job is seeing some of my associates and customers come in having a bad day. I want to help make their day a little easier because sometimes life can become uneasy. The most enjoyable part of my job is PEOPLE!!!!!! I love people even the ugly ones.
JC Penney is a nice place to work.
Sales Assicate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Lancaster, PAAugust 11, 2015
On a typical day if open in the morning, I get out the diamonds
from safe and put in the cases. Then I sell jewelry with care plans and open JC Penney Charge Cards.
Opportunity for growth
Department Supervisor (Current Employee), HamptonAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: No personal life or family time
Moving up in this company happens very quickly. You Have no personal life though. Diversity and Inclusion. Benefits are great.
Excellant Company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Pleasant Hill, CAAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Great management
Cons: only part time
JcPenny was a excellant company to work for. The work was fun and very time consumming. Management was great. I learned alot about retail while working for JcPenny's. I also enjoyed the display set up work when it was available.
A great company to work for!
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Online schedules
Cons: Staying until 1a.m
A great company to work for. P.O.S systems are very easy to learn. Management is friendly and professional. Would recommend working here.
Too much stress
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSAugust 10, 2015
Pros: free food, fun people
Cons: short breaks, understaffed, too fast pace
The managers have it easy while everyone else works crazy hard. They don't schedule enough people. It is really stressful.
This was an Ok job
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Recieve Gifts
Cons: Not a fun enviroment, not a fun place
This just is a job for first time workers. A typical day consist of coming to work and making the best out of it, dealing with multiple attitudes. I did not learn very much, we learned how to sell credit cards to different people. The managers were only there when we called on them, they never helped unless a customer needed further assistance. My co-workers wanted more out of JcPenny's. We all were in the same boat. The hardest part about this job is coming to work every morning, expecting something new. The most enjoyable part of this job is receiving gifts for the jobs completed.
laid back atmosphere
Service Specialist/ Cashier (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYAugust 10, 2015
Pros: offers 401 K
Cons: short breaks
My supervisor is very rude and gets away with it .. the store manager is very friendly and cares about all customers and employees
Productive and great employees to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Thornton, COAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Lack of breaks, or when you can take them, no full-time hours
Co-workers are nice, some managers need to be re-trained in business etiquette with regards to employee conflict interaction.Shoplifting protocols need to be enforced or reviewed for better quality control.
Work Wise
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Forest Park, GAAugust 10, 2015
Work wise it was a great place. I learned how to work in a warehouse atmosphere. I would say the hardest thing was dealing with management. the most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere.
Forever changing and always learning something new
Merchandise Assistant - Home (Former Employee), Plano, TXAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Friendly co-workers
Cons: no consistency of processes
Very fast paced, processes always changing, incorporating retail process to .com/on-line process. Friendly co-workers but lack of leadership in some areas.
I worked in customer service, i always loves working with people.
customer service (Former Employee), Nampa, IDAugust 10, 2015
Pros: You got breaks
Cons: Not good enough pay and hours and management didnt care about you treated you like nobody.
Normal day of work would be driving all the way to Nampa for about two hours of work wasted more in gas to work there, they had way to many employees and wouldn't stop hiring people started there for part time but got way below 10 not what they told me it would be. I would refold clothes help check in merchandise in catalog and call customers tell them ready for pick up etc. Also handled money and ran the register. The hardest part was not enough hours and trying to make a living with that. It was a very drama filled place with high maintenance people and I dont believe anyone is better than anyone I didn't fit in there very well. The customers were my favorite part of my job seeing the kids etc helping people making their day better.
Fast paced, fun
Fine Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee), Township of Fairfield, OHAugust 9, 2015
Pros: nice people
Cons: seasonal
This was only a seasonal job, I did not get the opportunity to learn much more than basics. I was able to learn more about costume jewelry.
Good Company with mixed emotions.
Sales Leader (Current Employee), Middletown, NYAugust 8, 2015
Pros: engaging with the customers, merchandise, discounts
Cons: quality of life, compensation/pay, overload of responsibilities
Enjoyed working with the people. There is never enough time to get your tasks done when there is yet another project. Lately staff is so lite making it nearly impossible to feel like you accomplished anything. I used to love working for this company, but I don't feel the love anymore. It's time to go.
good place
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDAugust 8, 2015
large company good management lots of perks and good place for being a large franchise. I had this job when I was 16 and loved it!
Very fun work environment with people who care!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAAugust 8, 2015
I disliked a lot of things about working at JCPenney and would never work there again. They showed a lot of favoritism to people that they knew and never took the time to actually get to know there employees and how they felt about working there.
Good place to work with.
Senior Lead Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 8, 2015
Pros: Great Discounts
Cons: Not enough money
JC Penney was a productive and a very interesting place to work. Management was visible, and willing to honor individuals who exceeded company's goals through a reward system. I worked with a team of tenure employees which made my job easier if I had questions. The hardest part of my job was keeping a balance of knowing how much to compensate a customer for inconvenience while keeping company matrix in mind. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing customer return for repeat business and happy with product and writing good reviews.
Terrible Management and Company in General
Visual Specialist (Current Employee), IndianaAugust 8, 2015
Pros: A lot of employee engagement behind the scenes - celebrations, jean days, spirit weeks, etc. Some coworkers are great
Cons: Management and the rest of the coworkers are condescending and unwelcoming
Management does not partake in any type of coaching and does not care about well being of associates. I have never been given any helpful tips to succeed or suggestions to improve my performance, nor have I seen or heard anyone else receive any. They croak over the radios for help at registers and to get more credit, get more sales, but how are we expected to do that if we are not given the tools to do so?
There was a recent issue with an associate using personal tools in an inappropriate and violent manner at work. When the bystander associate reported the situation, the store manager brushed it off saying there was no threat made and didn't talk to either associate involved.
Managers at my store don't communicate so I will have two asking me why I'm not doing this or that because neither will talk to the other one saying they need my help. They go behind each others back to get what they want and associates get stuck in the middle.
Many of the company practices, especially for operations are outdated and inefficient which is frustrating to deal with after being at a leading, very successful retailer previously.
Productive and fun workplace
Temp (Former Employee), Queens, NYAugust 8, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
Helped customers with their shoes, retrieving merchandise from the back, excellent customer service, was using the register, for cash transactions as well as credit/debit cards. I learned the working of the shoe department, my managers were ok, working long hours, dealing with people