JEA Employee Reviews in United States

Ever changing work environment and challenging and rewarding work
C.F.B. Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 13, 2016
Ever changing work environment accompanied by challenging and rewarding work in an evolving power generation market. Although JEA is a city owned utility it functions more like a competitive business in the real world.
Pros
Pension, security
Cons
Very productive and a great learning experience. Lots of knowledge obtained.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 9, 2015
It's a class room outdoors getting to absorb a lot of knowledge from very knowledgeable people who have been with the company for decades.
Pros
benefits were great
Cons
You had to work really hard, which really isn't a con. Just very labor intensive
Best job ever
Customer Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 4, 2015
This was a utility company for Jacksonvill, Fl. I set up service and disconnect for customers along with making payment arrangements. I assisted with Electrlic and Water services. The hardest part about this job is when I got laid off, because this was the best job I've ever had and my co-workers were the best
great people to work with
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville,flJuly 31, 2015
I enjoy working at JEA. The people I work with was very friendly and caring. Before I left they was changing a lot of there ways on how they treat customer but I didn't like that they was changing there call handle time.
Pros
The people you work with is very caring.
Cons
You might be a temp forever
Productive and fun work place
Preserve Naturalist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 12, 2015
This was the best company I have ever worked for. They care about employees and their well being.

I learned many skills that helped me in my career as a teacher. I learned computer and communication skills.

The best part of the job was interacting with the community.

My coworkers and management were incredibly supportive and easy to work with.
Pros
Great compensation, flexible work hours
Cons
Part time position
Best job ever
Customer Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 19, 2015
This was the best job ever. I was laid off in 2008, but I learned great customer service and how to be the best contact represent ever. The managers had been there a very long time and will assist until the end. The hardest part of this job was leaving. I enjoyed working with everyone there. They were extremely friendly and was always willing to help. I learned how to handle the most irate customers to the most difficult.
Great Oppotunities to Pursue Educational Growth - Great Tuition Reimbursement Progarm
Water/Wastewater Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 6, 2015
Generating/analyzing financial data used in providing the best customer service while controlling costs. Management works hard to keep employees informed through various modes of communication. There is a teamwork environment amongst the co-workers. The hardest part of the job is not being able to directly serve the customers as I support those who serve our customers. Teh most enjoyable part is seeing how the financial reports I generate help others make the appropriate decisions that help to control costs.
Pros
making a difference in our community
Cons
staying ahead of the changes in customer's expectations.
Love working for JEA, a family atmosphere and educational
Office Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 18, 2015
JEA allows employees' to learn with a training department that facilitates everything from MS office applications to Franklin Covey programs. Management is always looking for ways to improve customer and employee satisfaction.

Great benefits too!
Typical Union Municipal workplace
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 30, 2014
Not very stressful other than the constant whining of old union people with 28 years and just counting down the day to retirement. If you are a new person with a work ethic and qualifications, the old time union guys will see you as a threat and make your life hard at JEA. This is why the highest turnover rate is people that have worked there less than 5 years.
benefits
Cons
dealing with union workers and old timers
Decent pay but no realistic opportunity for advancement. Since they are the monopoly there infrastructure isn't good at all.
Customer Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 18, 2014
I really thought at first the opportunity to succeed there would be good but after training I realized it was more of a push you through and pray you make it in the end. The management for the most part is not good at all and getting the help or advice your require makes it stressful when most of them don't know what they are talking about and instead of focusing on what matters which are the customers their focus is on other issues. The environment is stressful and their retention is horrible.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
no benefits. temporary position. no organization.
Grat job for many years.
Temporary - Full (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 8, 2015
There was a different job everyday I was there. I would control burn one day and be grading roads the next, or loading or unloading wild animals into the rare animal facility. It was almost a new job daily.
Pros
fun easy going atmosphere
Cons
it became a slow sinking ship after the founder past away
Productive workplace
Customer Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FloridaDecember 5, 2014
I enjoyed working with JEA and also enjoyed assisting customers with their utility bills. It was a very structural atmosphere to work in but a lot of managerial changes towards the end of my employment and rules and policies that I did not agree with.
My skills are being used in a field that was new to me when I first started this job.
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 19, 2012
This position has allowed me to use my knowledge in data management, SAS programming and analysis to analyze data used by a municipal utility. Most of my work experience has been in the Clinical research field, and now I perform analysis geared towards making business decisions for the electric, water and sewer operations for the city of Jacksonville Florida. This proves to me that my skills can be used in diverse fields.
Pros
retirement savings and pension package, healthcare benefits
Your typical municipal owned utility company
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 12, 2014
Enjoyed the challenge of my job and staying involved in new things. You are giving the opportunity to do the best thing for the company, but when things go wrong, management will not be there to support you, but they sure will take the credit when you do something great.
Pros
great for working flexible schedules
Cons
typical political red tape
Productative and Rewarding. We were like family.
Senior Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 21, 2013
This is a great place to work. There are many opportunites, benefits are great. I enjoyed learning and doing new things; The salary is comfortable. In my 30 plus years at JEA, I enjoyed all positions, I enjoyed working face to face with the customers the best. Human Resource was my second best position.
Pros
year end bonuses are always a win-win. flex time.
Performace Driven. Highly Motivational and Community Drive
Customer Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 29, 2015
Excellenet place to work. Great Opportunities to advance and start a long career. Great benefits and pay compensation.
Great Managers! Overall great place to work!
GIS Technician/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pearl St Maintenance FacilityApril 24, 2014
For the most part JEA is great place with great people. Life/work balance is great. Had I worked at the tower I would still be there.
Pros
great wages, benefits
Cons
co-worker and facility working conditions where i was located were poor.
fun workplace but very hot and humid
cleaning tech (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 5, 2013
a typical day at work is just, cleaning out suptic tank, carrying large amout of hoses,pulling whell barrels, but overall it was a good job, nice co workers and managers, the hardest part about the job i would say or should i say thing is the heat
Awesome
Customer Service/Account Receivables Rep (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 11, 2014
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Excellent architecture Practice
Joseph Ene Architect (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2014
Very organized firm and full of new ideas to learn.

Colleagues are very cordially interactive
Pros
permits requested personal times
Cons
call to work at office almost all times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JEA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2