JEA Employee Reviews

Fast pace but fun to work for.
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 23, 2017
JEA is a great company to work for. I've been here 4 year and I love it. I have great managers and I work with a great group of people. I would highly recommend JEA to anyone.
Provides Good Perks, but dislike workplace culture
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 10, 2017
JEA provides excellent benefits to include defined benefit plan, flexible spending account, 401k. In addition, they offer on-site educational opportunities and wellness events. I'm not impressed with the culture of JEA; the people are not very friendly and for the most part very arrogant
Payroll
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 4, 2017
No room for advancement. Kind of hard to know people there. There are to many employees that group themselves and make you feel left out. They could re do their benefits and find a more costly one.
Good company with areas that need better management to make improvements
Director of Planning and Development (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 4, 2017
depending on which area you work in you have the ability to manage your employees. The Water and Wastewater group isn't one of those groups and doesn't have clear direction from senior management.
Pros
great company for trades employees
Cons
high turnover rate with employees in management
Productive, fun work place
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 1, 2017
I enjoyed working for Jea, also there was great team work, I've learned a lot of things. This job gave me great experience, What a great work place
Engineers are treated badly
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 14, 2017
Engineers are looked down upon and are treated badly by management. They are not treated professionally and subject to menial tasks. The management is unprofessional and lacks integrity. They put you in difficult situations and unethical situations with no support or resources. There are no established or written processes or procedures. So when it comes to evaluation time, the managers can say you were sub-par because you didn't follow JEA processes or procedures even though there is nothing written or official. I recommend working here for 5 years to get the experience but leaving before you get thrown under the bus or put in an unethical situation by a manager.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of professionalism and integrity in Management
Government style management and work environment
Field engineer for approximately (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2017
JEA is a great company to work for with many opportunities for advancement, great salary benefits and time off. With the new retirement program for the City of Jacksonville, new employees will now be elible for a 401k style pensions instead of the guaranteed plan offered by the City for so many years.
Pros
Time off, salary
Cons
unions vs management work environment
great opportunity while it lasted
Station Operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2017
SJRPP/JEA was a fun place to work but now the bean counters decided to shut the place down. Lost opportunities for workers that invested time there with less than 20 years of service and 20 years of work left to work. Hopefully someone will have a huge heart and hire the unfortunates that are past there 40's and need to continue working. God Bless to all at the power park in the future.
Pros
Lots of overtime if you wanted it. Lots of days off.
Cons
The new pension plan is peanuts compared to the old plan
Disregard for labor law regulations
Management (Former Employee) –  MidwestJune 20, 2017
Regional management should be investigated for infractions of Labor Law regulations. The blame is placed on the manager's at the house level, but in reality it is the upper manager's that have disrupted the census, work environment and reputation of the house. HR should be looking at this and an investigation should be conducted. Vulgar language and threats seem to be the way to problem solve.
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Planner Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 1, 2017
Great culture, fun place to work! Very collaborative environment where managers empower employees to voice opinions and ideas at all times. Overall, I recommend!
Pros
Work hours and time off
Cons
It takes time for co-workers to warm up to you.
Little opportunity for advancement
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 17, 2017
Good benefits and working environment but lacking in career development. Still a "good old boy" company with lack of diversity within the workplace. Stable company.
benefits
Cons
Few advancement opportunities
Pension
CERTIFIED OPERATOR/ POWER PLANT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 24, 2017
So far they still have a pension but its on its way out. The pay is good. Advancement is okay and the benefits are okay too. Many departments and the opportunity to transfer.
An organization with resident focused care
Senior Living (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAMarch 5, 2017
Working for JEA has been a positive experience overall. Their philosophy on resident care is faithfully practiced and the overall work environment is pleasant.
My main complaint is their lack of competitiveness in the area of compensation and benefits. The bonus structure for CRD's is the worst I've seen and virtually non-existent, and their benefits are minimal. I would also like to see more opportunity for advancement from within the company.
Job good
Customer Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 4, 2017
Not a lot of challenge to the job; I enjoyed the atmosphere and my coworkers. No benefits or opportunity for advancement. I learned a new software that will prove valuable.
Pros
Atmosphere, coworkers
Cons
No heathcare, Have to pay for parking, etc. out of pocket
Environment is what you make it
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 5, 2016
Go by the policies and build relationships, you will do just fine. You will enjoy the pay and networking is a must
Pros
At this time none
Cons
Watch the company you keep
Awful Regional Management
Director of Health Services (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 30, 2016
Just another number. Nit pickers who only care about the numbers, and even with good numbers, still feel the need to berate staff. BEHIND on the technology times. Regional Manager for Ohio is horrendous...lead to a mass exodus twice in 6 months.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, low pay for job responsibilities
Very Fun
Customer Care Consultant (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 1, 2016
Overall great experience, downside would be you only get a limited amount of hours and mostly require you to work game-day Sundays.
n/a
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 21, 2016
Answering incoming calls and focus on call quality and the assessment of claims and benefits, I have learned a lot about how to work with customers and being a more focused and sympathetic human being and listen to others. My co-workers and management have also taught me a about customer service and how to solve problems and be overall exceptional and dynamic. The hardest part of the job is when I feel that I have done all that I can do for someone and can't do anymore. The most enjoyable part of it is when I hear a compliment over the phone and know that I have helped someone and brightened their day.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Ever changing work environment and challenging and rewarding work
C.F.B. Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 13, 2016
Ever changing work environment accompanied by challenging and rewarding work in an evolving power generation market. Although JEA is a city owned utility it functions more like a competitive business in the real world.
Pros
Pension, security
Cons
Very productive and a great learning experience. Lots of knowledge obtained.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 9, 2015
It's a class room outdoors getting to absorb a lot of knowledge from very knowledgeable people who have been with the company for decades.
Pros
benefits were great
Cons
You had to work really hard, which really isn't a con. Just very labor intensive